Pocketpc Tips And Tricks Guide

Moote

Dear all

A couple of weeks ago I promised to write a Guide for PocketPC users; this Guide is mainly to help with memory issues etc.

If you would like a copy feel free to request one and I will email you a copy, all I ask in return is that you constructively criticise the contents so that it can be improved upon.

Also if you have any tips you want including send them to me and I will include them and credit you for the tip.

The document is about 600Kb in size

Milton (aka moote)

Edited by moote
Stick on a web page! Better yet, turn it into a wiki page on the GeocacheUK.com Wiki and then anyone can make improvements directly!

Popping it on a webserver on Wednesday when I'm back at work, and then will create a link to it. Would have done it from here but for the life of me I can't remember the login details if you see the comment I made in the post Nicknames you would know why I can't remember logins at work.

The document is in PDF format so Wiki is no good for editing them

:D

Milton (aka moote)

Edited by moote

Milton

I have had a read of your excellent guide and offer the following comments.

1. I already had my PDA set up as you guide suggests with all applications on an SD Card. The only change I did make, where my set-up differed, was to move GPS Gate to base memory from the SD Card. I went out yesterday, with the new set-up, and my PDA appeared to be a lot more stable. Nice one!

2. Totally agree with SD Card speeds - faster is better, a lot better!! Even with the small amount of data being moved from PC to PDA the difference in time to transfer is amazing.

3. Extra tip for Memory Map users. There is an option, when transferring maps, to send directly to the PDA OR "Storage card on PC". If I am using a slow SD Card I always use the latter as it seems to be faster.

4. Trick 1: I think that it is important to emphasise that the folder should be called "My Documents". I tried calling my folder something like "My Geocaching Documents" and I found that GPX Sonar and Vito Navigator II could not find the GPX and LOC files. As soon as I changed it to "My Documents" everything was fine.

Other than that I have no other comments.

Thanks again.

I have now made a link to the guide you can find it HERE

Thanks to all who have already thanked and passed comment I will be doing a second rewrite soon and will add in the tips you have sent and place a credit note at the bottom with your GC.com name.

Cheers

Milton (aka moote)

Edited by moote

Nice :laughing:

I find that MemoryMap can corrupt its user info on closing sometimes and loses all of the imported cache info. A pain anyway but especially if away on hols/weekend. Saved a lot of grief by copying the userdata file to another folder on the card or iPaq so can effectively do a quick dirty backup/restore just by pasting the copy back into the MM folder if it gets corrupted

2. Totally agree with SD Card speeds - faster is better, a lot better!! Even with the small amount of data being moved from PC to PDA the difference in time to transfer is amazing.

Oh boy, I bought an SD card yesterday, sounds like I should have stumped up the extra for a fast one.

The wisdom elsewhere is that when reading from a card, speed is not that important. It is writing to a memory card that is very dependant on the speed of the card. That is why camera shops are full of high cost high speed cards, but computer shops are not. Cameras write to cards, computers more often read from them.

When reading from a card, my personal experience is that defragmenting a memory card is more important than the speed of the card. Copy the files from the card to a computer - re-format the card, and copy the files back - speed will increase dramatically at no cost.

The wisdom elsewhere is that when reading from a card, speed is not that important. It is writing to a memory card that is very dependant on the speed of the card. That is why camera shops are full of high cost high speed cards, but computer shops are not. Cameras write to cards, computers more often read from them.

When reading from a card, my personal experience is that defragmenting a memory card is more important than the speed of the card. Copy the files from the card to a computer - re-format the card, and copy the files back - speed will increase dramatically at no cost.

Although what you say is partially true about the write speeds and data fragmentation, it is also true that faster cards also read at a higher rate, as the PDA's CPU clock determines the read/write rate. The card has to be able to shift data in and out at a comparable rate for integrity purposes.

Camera shops do sell fast cards but most Cameras on sale can't write above 40 speed the exceptions being Kyocera who invented the fast digi cam CCD with RTune technology and expensive ones such as Nikon who buy there silicon mainly from Kyocera Mita.

Milton (aka moote)

Nice  :)

I find that MemoryMap can corrupt its user info on closing sometimes and loses all of the imported cache info. A pain anyway but especially if away on hols/weekend. Saved a lot of grief by copying the userdata file to another folder on the card or iPaq so can effectively do a quick dirty backup/restore just by pasting the copy back into the MM folder if it gets corrupted

You could do a tranfer twice then your old_userdata (the one MM backs up) file would be the same as the userdata file :lol:

Milton (aka moote)

Edited by moote

Just been reading through the guide - Very nice, thanks. :unsure:

My bluetooth GPS arrived today and I'm hoping to try it out later. I wanted to download a little (freeware hopefully!) app that just replicates a simple GPS to play with at first? (Goto waypoint, arrow screen, etc. etc) ... Anybody know of one or anyone got a freeware copy they can (legally!) pass onto me?

(PS It really helps if it's available as a .cab file beacuse I can't run .exe installers on my mac! :unsure: )

Hope you can help,

Many thanks

James

Just been reading through the guide - Very nice, thanks.  :unsure:

My bluetooth GPS arrived today and I'm hoping to try it out later. I wanted to download a little (freeware hopefully!) app that just replicates a simple GPS to play with at first? (Goto waypoint, arrow screen, etc. etc) ... Anybody know of one or anyone got a freeware copy they can (legally!) pass onto me?

(PS It really helps if it's available as a .cab file beacuse I can't run .exe installers on my mac!  :unsure: )

Hope you can help,

Many thanks

James

I don't know if this may help ????

Gps Simulator