B.a.s.e. Caching

MLP-76C

Would anyone be interested in taking all this to another level? Imagine a less restrictive and more challenging form - where stealth and deception play a much greater role. Compare skydiving to B.A.S.E. Jumping if you will.

Perhaps a few simple rules:

- Sorry, no children.

- Physical caches only - no virtuals.

- Caches may be placed anywhere on the Earth.

- No restriction on digging for initial placement.

- Some part of the container to be visible above-ground.

- No permission required for any placement or recovery.

- No restriction on cache contents other than local laws.

- Caches must never contain any reference to Geocaching.com or Groundspeak.

During placement and recovery, operatives must avoid detection. If detained or questioned, they must be prepared with a cover story that will aid in their escape. Above all, they must never reveal what they are actually doing.

Obviously, this activity would not appeal to everyone but could be exhilarating for those who may choose to participate.

Thoughts?

Interesting idea. Obviously the internet is out of the question from the start if we are truly talking about stealth. So I imagine the initial cache container would all be single use, first to find, only to find. About placement: if you are to abide by local laws then digging on property you do not own is also out. Would this be a series of micros that lead to an ultimate final cache? If you use a paid subscription for participant then you might have cash in the final cash. There could be a fixed nimber of stage one micros that lead to a smaller number of second stage hides, increasing competition, maybe a last stage of even fewer caches that all point to the final prize. They could even be time sensitive. It has possibility but more thinking and discussion is needed.

I was initially intrigued by the idea of extreme caching, but the feeling passed rather kwickly. I think that the retards who govern our activity would soon discover this offshoot of geocaching, and would be unable to distinguish between the two. There would soon be news stories out with statements to the effect of;

"Local geocacher arrested for climbing a cell phone antenna. Said he was just playing a game"

or

"Man killed yesterday while climbing the face of Chikamaugua Dam. Friends say he was geocaching"

or

"Local police responded to a suspected terrorist threat last night, when a concerned citizen reported a man in all black, climbing around under the Golden Gate Bridge with a big metal box in his hand. Upon arrival, they arrested local resident Billy Bob Garmin, who claimed he was just Geocaching. The box he was carrying was detonated by the bomb squad".

Obviously we could use this thread to "prove" that Geocaching was in no way involved, but that would require politicians to actually listen to facts, instead of simply feeding off of public hysteria. Can you imagine a retard like Nancy Pelosi using logic in a scenario such as this? Geocaching, and all it's offshoots, would kwickly be banned everywhere.

So, with that in mind, I gotta change my "Hmmm..." to a "No thanx".

:)

No need to reinvent the wheel. If you are looking for something more secretive, try this site as it continues to have a more underground feel. I've often thought about such as what you are talking about and realize letterboxing fits the bill perfectly.

Addtionally, you can create caches within GSAK to share with your friends. You make the rules as you see fit.

Hope this helps.

...that would require politicians to actually listen to facts, instead of simply feeding off of public hysteria.

They don't need any excuse to ban geocaching. They can make them up as they go. Us South Carolina geocachers know this from experience.

So what they can't find anything bad to say. They'll take innocent comments out of context and twist them into the words of vile malcontents intent on the destruction of everything that is good and decent. They'll use doublespeak to make a point even if it has nothing to do with the subject at hand. If all else fails, they'll make stuff up without regard if it has absolutely no anchor outside their fantasy world.

No, what we do really has no bearing on us being a target of politicians.

It will give them fodder for a crusade.

...as if they need any.

Oh yeah, this is a good idea. I'm so looking forward to the first buried B.A.S.E. cache hidden inside some National Park making another Park Service bulletin. The lack of any mention of geocaching.com is going to make a whole lot of difference...

Seriously, I'm curious. Give me a hint here - troll or just terminally clueless?

Ron/yumitori (yeah, I might as well play since I can't get onto the website...)

Would anyone be interested in taking all this to another level? Imagine a less restrictive and more challenging form - where stealth and deception play a much greater role. Compare skydiving to B.A.S.E. Jumping if you will.

Perhaps a few simple rules:

- Sorry, no children.

- Physical caches only - no virtuals.

- Some part of the container to be visible above-ground.

- No restriction on cache contents other than local laws.

- Caches must never contain any reference to Geocaching.com or Groundspeak.

During placement and recovery, operatives must avoid detection. If detained or questioned, they must be prepared with a cover story that will aid in their escape. Above all, they must never reveal what they are actually doing.

Obviously, this activity would not appeal to everyone but could be exhilarating for those who may choose to participate.

Thoughts?

Let's just place it in a National Park.

So when we're being investigated by the fed's, according to the OP, to log the find after you are in federal prison, you must keep to secrecy.

This idea would be neat if it wasn't so contradicting to so many pivotal rules.

You could even go so far as to say, I bury a waterproof micro ten feet below the earth under a major highway. And I stick a metal rod through the micro and drilled the road in the middle of the night and the metal rod stuck out.

This would be awesome because the metal rod is now considered part of the cache. The finder would have to camouflage themselves as pavement and dodge 8 lanes of traffic while finding the metal rod. They then know where the cache is, but not how deep. So they nonchalantly get a way to figure out the depth of the rod.

When they get the depth of the rod, they can then start mining out the cache, probably a nice 10 foot hole would be nice and comfortable to get under the highway. The tunnel must be supported so the highway doesn't cave in, and a drainage system must be formed so water doesn't start collecting under there. After 150 feet of tunnel, the cache find gets the prize, to log a BIG FAT SMILIE on that cache. But now they must put back all the dirt and make it look like they were never there in the first place.

We could do that!!!

<_< Or we could follow the general rules that keep us from getting imprisoned.

They'll take innocent comments out of context and twist them into the words of vile malcontents intent on the destruction of everything that is good and decent.  They'll use doublespeak to make a point even if it has nothing to do with the subject at hand.  If all else fails, they'll make stuff up without regard if it has absolutely no anchor outside their fantasy world.

For a second there I thought you were talking about some of the forum members around here... :(

One thing comes to mind.... the "B", "A", "S" and "E" all stand for things that don't really fit into the caching activity as you described it. Perhaps another name that actually makes sense would make this appear to be less of a joke than it really is.

Edited by mini cacher
Yeah ... no B.A.S.E. ... just called Extreme Caching.

My two cents... Well, on the subject of "extreme geocaching", since that term has popped up here and since that is a term we use to describe some of our caches in our two "Psycho Cache" series...

Actually, to be really fair, geocaching.com and other well-known listing sites DO allow MANY types of extreme geocaches, so long as they conform with certain guidelines and laws. In our 6 months in the caching world, Sue and I have found a good number of extreme geocaches, all of which were legal and are listed at geocaching.com, and we have also placed a goodly number of such extreme caches as well, all of which are also listed at geocaching.com. I suspect that some folks here may be making the mistaken assumption that any cache listed at geocaching.com (or at any other well-known cache listng service) cannot be an extreme geocache, just because some rules and guidelines were followed. In my perception, this assumption is not true, and a number of good extreme caches may be found on each of the listing services. Yes, it is also true that certain extreme or beyond-extreme caches would not be allowed at many of these listing services because the cache placement would violate laws or common-sense guidelines.