Ideas For Our Family "team"...

TEAM RETRIEVER

Okay, I need some ideas. I'm new to this and have yet to find go looking for a cache. I've explained the game to my wife and three daughters, and now they're all excited. We've set this coming Sunday aside as our first day of Geocaching. Before that happens, I want to create a team name and some basic "rules" for everyone. I'm going to make the kids "official" id cards on my computer, give them nicknames, etc. What does everyone out there do to make it really fun for the kids? Any geocaching rules on creating a team name or anything?

As far as a team name, Maybe your kids will have an idea, that is one way to keep them motivated.

As far as searching caches. Look for easy ones to get started, those rated as 1, 1.5 and 2. Also look for large caches that might have trade items, most kids will like the idea of looking for a treasure.

Some teams leave signiture items with there team name, these could be cards printed on your computer or just about anything that your family might enjoy putting together. Julie and I use buttons with our picture on them.

These are made for us by bumble buttons

Greetings and welcome to the hobby!

How to pick a name: It can be as easy as adding "Team" to your current username. (Hmmm. Sounds like something I would do...) Or, you can take a poll of your Team and try to come up with something that is uniquely "you". Either way, have fun with it!

Making it fun for the whole family: For your first outing, find 3 or 4 caches near you that have fairly easy ratings for Terrain and Difficulty. You don't say how old the daughters are, so take into consideration their ages and how fit you all are as a group. Generally speaking, shorter hikes are better in the beginning; but your milage may vary. (Ouch, lousy joke...) Also, looking at the logs of cachers that have already found the caches you seek will give you some idea of what to expect.

As far as setting up rules for everyone, try to keep it simple. Nothing kills the fun like having a bunch of guidelines to follow. The FAQ's and Getting Started areas of the website give lots of good info; and there are a number of helpful and informative sites out there run by Geocachers as well. Look through the forums and you'll find plenty of links.

That's all I can think of right now, and I'm surfing on my lunch hour to boot; so I better get back to work. :lol:

Once again, welcome! I hope you enjoy caching as much as Team Flashncache does! :o:lol::D

edit: D'oh! "Getting Started" is where you're at! (See, you're good at this already!) :lol:

Edited by Team Flashncache

I love the id cards idea! That's really cute.

We deliberated together before finally coming up with out team name. We took suggestions, held debates, narrowed down the contenders, and had a vote. Of course Mom and Dad steered the choices somewhat (or we would have been called something like the Evil Triceratops Robots Who Only Eat Candy.) But once we adopted the name Bear Paughs our boys got excited about it. Now when we find a really hard cache they've taken to doing silly dances and chanting "We are the Bear Paughs!" Corny, but so cute! We've also had many discussions about ideas for a signature item for our team (coming soon!) and they had lots of input for that.

My favorite part about geocaching is the enjoyment the kids have with it. We're a close family anyway, but this activity gives us all the more opportunity to spend time doing something fun together, as opposed to everyone retiring to their separate interests.

Edited to add: Another thing we do is take turns being the navigator. Whoever's turn it is gets to hold the GPSr and lead the way. This is a big deal for the boys. I also make sure the boys take turns choosing trade items for "treasure" caches as they call them. That not only minimizes the fighting, but lately they've been really generous even when it's their turn if they see something the other brother would really like. (I swear they must be up to something when they so selflessly!) Depending on the ages of your daughters, you will probably want to allow them playground time at the parks you may find yourselves visiting. And snacks are always good, too!

Edited by Bear Paughs

My daughters are ages 7, 10 and 15. They're all REALLY excited about the whole thing and can't wait until Sunday.

I think our team name will be "Team Retriever", as we're hoping to get a golden retriever soon. Of course, the pup will become a team member and mascot (smile). Plus, we're obviously going to be retrieving stuff. The possibilities are endless! My mind is racing so fast trying to create new ways to excite the kids and have fun. My wife is getting excited too, but she's on to me. She knows that I'm a big kid and I'm doing all of this stuff for me too! LOL!

C'mon Sunday!!!!!!!! :lol:

Forgot to ask this, but besides the GPS, what type of things do you take along on when geocaching? I mean, do you take a backpack, walking stick, food, etc.? Man, the best thing about this sport (okay, not the best but definitely a plus) is how cheap it CAN be!!! :lol:

Bug Spray

Camera - Great pictures to be had!

Cell Phone (and make sure someone knows where you are going, if you are going far off the beaten path.)

Bug Spray.

Walkie Talkies if with a group.

snacks and drinks.

Bug Spray.

Enjoy!

My daughters LOVE to go geocaching. I only wish there were more nearby. They are really looking forward to our first Event Cache.

As for team rules, I would say that adults who cache as a team often have a rule that when you spot the cache, you back off and let others look, without giving away the location, letting each person actually "find" it. Others cache together with the first person to spot it saying, "Hey, here it is! I found it!" Either approach is fine, as long as the group agrees, and I would think that with younger cachers, the latter approach may work better.

Another rule is trade even, trade up, or don't trade. Each of the girls my want to carry some swag (trade items) that they think is fun, and each can trade, as long as the trade is at least as good as what they take. The local Dollar Store is great for this. Or you may want to trade one item as a group, and as Bear Paughs suggested, let them take turns.

My best tip: Mark your car as a waypoint. It is amazing how turned around you can get walking in the words looking for tupperware. You'll forget to do this, of course, and then kick yourself later. After a few afternoons of bushwacking in the wrong direction, you'll start to remember.

While you are waiting, you may want to check out

Thot's Beginner's Guide

Markwell's Update to the FAQ and

CyBret's Geocacher University.

Lot's of great advice there for beginners.

Welcome to the recreational activity/sport/hobby!

Forgot to ask this, but besides the GPS, what type of things do you take along on when geocaching? I mean, do you take a backpack, walking stick, food, etc.? Man, the best thing about this sport (okay, not the best but definitely a plus) is how cheap it CAN be!!! :D

It depends on the cache. For suburban park 'n grabs all I'll have is my GPS and maybe a trade item or two. For more remote caches in the winter I'll have a full pack compete with survival gear for an unintended overnight stay.

Generally I have a backpack and anything I would take on a day hike. Lunch, water, first aid kit, flashlight, extra clothing, bug spray, pocket knife, compass, map, etc...

Bug Spray

Camera - Great pictures to be had!

Cell Phone (and make sure someone knows where you are going, if you are going far off the beaten path.)

Bug Spray.

Walkie Talkies if with a group.

snacks and drinks.

Bug Spray.

Having just started this myself, and just in case three times isn't enough, let me emphasis the bug spray.

MissippiSlim (scratch, scratch, scratch)

Believe me, if you go on longer hikes (or to state parks with outhouses), you will want to have each girl put a few kleenex in one of her pockets! I'm sure you don't need to ask why!

If your youngest gets discouraged, ask her to "look over there" (where the cache has already been spotted) to let her have some "Found It" moments.

Individually packaged wet wipes, tick tweezers, anti-itch spray, extra batteries, a pen (for micros), and WATER are all in our backpack.

We also carry some plastic bags in various sizes (replacements for logbook bags or cache container bags, if needed), duct tape (have used often to repair cache containers, etc.), needle nose pliers (yes, we have used these many times for icky retrievals), a little first aid kit, some granola bars, a flashlight, a compass, a camera, and (if you're just starting out, this is a good idea) the instruction manual for our GPSr's!

Thank God Whistler carries the bag, not me!

Also, take the printouts of the caches you are going to do with you. Sometimes you forgot what you are supposed to be looking for (film canister? ammo box? key holder?).

When I take my little brothers with me, we all have geocaching "names" that we will sign the log with. They enjoy learning and repeating the geocaching "lingo" and avoiding "muggles." Kids have such a different outlook on life that I think we loose as we get older. Many times that will find a cache before I can. I love the idea of make ID cards. Make sure the first few are easy and maybe even ones you've been to before, so you're successful. Have fun! I love caching with my little brothers.

^^ike

Hey there, Captain Retriever! I see from your profile that you guys like to camp. Check out the Midwest forum here for the thread about the 2006 Fall Geo-Picnic. It's going to be at Brown County SP and lots of us will be camping there that weekend. The 2005 picnic was just last weekend at Clifty Falls and geocachers occupied over 20 campsites.

Consider going to an event cache in your area - it's a great way to meet other cachers, many of whom cache as families, and to get tips and pointers. I believe there's an event coming up in October at Pokagon SP.

Welcome to the Hoosier contingent of this great hobby!

Mrs. Car54

The only problem I have when I take the kids is the competition it turns into. One of them always ends up being upset because they didn't find as many as everyone else. If you come up with a solution let me know. :(

I like to find them too. So I go by myself to find the micros and leave the larger caches for the kids.

Be sure to take drinks and snacks. Theres nothing worse than having to stop the hunt to go get refreshments.

I don't have a walking stick yet. It is on my list of things to get. When we do get to the area we pick up a little branch and the person in front waves it around as we walk. Your wife might lose interest fast if she keeps walking face first into spider webs. :(

Make sure all the girls wear appropriate clothes and shoes. My daughter is a TomGirl. She likes to do everything the boys do. But she wants to do it wearing high heels and a dress. :P After walking around in the woods in shorts and high heeled flip flops she's changed her dressing habits. When I tell her we're going "hunting" she immediately goes and puts on her jeans and "ugly" tennis shoes.

Be prepared for the kids to come home everyday and ask if you can take them cacheing. They used to ask if their friends could come too. But after having to share the finds they asked if we could keep cacheing a family thing.

I love your enthusiasim. Its the same way I feel about geocaching. I'm up to 36 finds now. The feeling still hasn't lessend.

Good luck and don't forget to tell us how it went.

Stephanie2427,

Yeah, I was worried about that with our girls. Especially our little one (she's 7). She really hates being the baby of the family and will have a hard time with it if she doesn't find them before the other two. I'm really stressing that we are a TEAM, but I think I'll try to do numerous caches each time we go out. For example, doing 3, 6, or 9 and letting each one of the girls take the lead at different times. Maybe this would let them each find the same number of caches that day (not sure that makes sense). If nothing else, I will just tie them to a tree and me and my wife will look for 'em! LOL!

Our middle daughter is a tomboy too! Be lucky if I can even keep shoes on that kid! LOL!

As for walking sticks, I've got one upstairs that I made and it just needs finished. Geocaching is giving me the perfect reason to get it done. It'll be my spider web stopper! Too many spiders and my wife isn't going to enjoy the game! :(

Thanks again everyone for the input! I'll let ya know how Sunday goes...

I'll let the girls hold the GPS, they just can't push any buttons quite yet! 

To give them a little practice with it before you all go out on Sunday, you could try marking a few waypoints outside around your house, and have them use the GPS to walk to each one. Just to get used to it. (Something like marking a waypoint behind the house and having the kids start out in front of the house will be a good lesson, teaching them that you can't always just follow the arrow in a straight line -- sometimes you have to take a roundabout path to get where you're going.)

Keep your eyes open for a sale for a second GPS. (the day after Thanksgiving is my favorite shopping day) You can designate one as the "kids". This will mimimize your impulse to take over when things don't look quite right. Instead you will be able to gently guide and therefore teach.

Just an idea.

:( Family TEAM geocaching is SO fun! We have been along other friends' geocache hunts. However, on our vacation to the Oregon Coast these past 10 days, we decided to launch our official family geocache career! We have had some of the same issues as mentioned before....fights about trading, who gets to navigate, etc. etc. nothing that isn't common to all families no matter what the issue. We solved this by focusing on the TEAM aspect (1 for all, all for 1!). And giving turns. Who finds the cache gets to trade first. Adults don't open the cache until all the kids (we have 3 boys - age 4, 9, 11) see the hiding spot. We have come up with individual names and on the LOGS give credit to who found it. Solves it for us! Yesterday we had a BLAST and found our first JEEP. I was screaming quietly, because their were aliens right there! You can check it out at SEA THE LIGHT (GCGFPE). Our 4 yo walked 3+ miles on this cache hunt without complaining...because we explained that this is a fun, no complaining time as a family. It made for the BEST family time and great hikes, fun discoveries and we just love having something to hunt for (the treasure hunt is so fun) but the being together is the best. Snacks, water and print outs (with the hints already descrypted) and only seen my geo-mamma of the geojackgang. I will come back to see how it goes. Take pictures of it along the way...I am going to make a creative memories scrapbook of our finds and pictures. What a great family activity!

Sorry, Humanloofa, I can't answer that question. I just know my 7 year old has no interest in typing things into the computer yet. LOL! If it isn't a game or something she can print and color, she could care less. : )

I told everyone on this post that I would report back after TEAM RETRIEVER'S first day of geocaching together as a family (I had gone out and found two or three by myself last week, to make sure I knew what I was doing before taking the kids). Here's my report....

WHAT A BLAST!!!!! The two days leading up to Sunday were full of anticipation. Going from a project we seen on www.geocaching4kids.com the family made quick walking sticks Friday night. Nothing but cheap dowel rods and some spray paint, but the girls enjoyed making them and they worked well in the bush. We created team nicknames and I briefed them on the simple guidelines. Then we were ready!

Before we left, I had written down all of the caches and their coordinates, then listed them in order of distance from the house so as not to back track all day. Worked out great. I told the kids that we would be doing four or five "log in only" caches and they all agreed that sounded "stupid". LOL! Well, after the first cache, they were anxious to find the next one no matter what was available for trading. They soon learned that the search was even more fun than trading! We did a total of ten caches with NO DNF'S and even had to dodge some muggles along the way. The kids loved that part of it too, as it felt so secretive. We started a new tradition of everyone high-fiving after a find. About mid-day, we took a break and had lunch at McDonald's (where else when you let the kids choose). Afterwards, we went out and did the caches that required a little hiking and buschwhacking. Seen a couple of snakes and a deer, plus some wonderful scenery.

Soon learned that "Pup", being the youngest in the group and a little girl through and through, didn't care much for buschwhacking. A piggy-back ride through the rough parts took care of that and she did great.

"Wolf", the middle daughter and tomboy of the bunch, loved every minute of it!! She turned out to be quite the little geocacher and I have no doubt she will be doing this for a longtime. She loves being in the woods and getting dirty (all while looking so cute)!!!

"JJ", the oldest daughter and typical teenager, was a bit grumpy but did great. She found a cache or two and enjoyed the searching, although she might not readily admit it. Being the average teenager, she tried to turn geocaching into a fashion show and was worried about being seen in public with ugly hiking boots on. LOL! She did fine and I'm sure she'll be ready to go next time.

"Goldie", my wife and soul-mate for all eternity, was the hero of the day. Finding most of the caches and simply stepping to the side without saying anything so the kids could find them, or helping "Pup" through the thorn bushes while I ran up ahead with the GPS, and just being an all around good sport makes me appreciate her even more. She really enjoyed the day and can't wait to go out again!

Me, I can't stress enough what a wonderful day we had. This is such a fantastic family activity and I'm blessed to have the family that I've got!!!!!!! Thanks to all who answered some of my questions and a very special thanks to everyone who placed the caches out our way! Still got some more local caches to find, but I'm sure TEAM RETRIEVER will be back out there soon!!!!

Well, Captain, it looks like you're well on your way. There are tons of threads here about what people take with them caching besides their GPSr. The number one thing to take is a pencil to sign the log with. The number two thing is extra batteries for the GPSr. That and a pocket knife are standard pocket items. Lead Dog has a whistle and a small compass on a lanyard on his GPSr. And ALWAYS when entering the woods, mark the location of your vehicle on your GPSr.... It's a good habit to get into, even if you think the cache is only a few feet away...

:rolleyes:<_<