Restricted Caches

Langly

What's the prize for most FTF's? :D

No prize, just a little friendly competition. :P

That is I think, the answer. Just a little friendly competition. I used to love going for FTF. It was the challenge of going out at all hours to find a new cache before the other competitors found it. I have no idea how many FTF I have, a lot you can count on that. Sometimes that was the most fun part of the cache. Specially if it is an urban cache. If you don't have any competition it's not nearly so fun.

You guys are more like me than not. The FTF is usually bragging rights with our geo-friends. And especially fun if one of the good friends happens to be the owner. I guess there have been threads ad-infinitum on the subject. But I thought I would just toss in a little sanity-check ;)

Recently I got a FTF on a cache that was placed near the end of puzzle cache. I found it the same day as the log-book indicated it was placed - and before it was posted on the gc.com site. Not exactly my skill at work, but I worked that one for a while :o

But there are lots of folks who keep a tally of FTF's in their profile (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Edited by pdxmarathonman
There were recently caches posted in the North Texas area. The restrictions stated "If you have more that 10 FTF's you may not log this cache for 24 hours".

Is it generally accepted to exclude a subset of cachers? Or is it hey it's ok it is the hiders cache? What subset of cachers will be excluded next?

This doesn't exclude anybody. Anyone who finds it, can log it. The owner is simply asking that the FTF hounds give someone else a shot.

Feel free to look for more molehills to make mountains of.

I already posted my opinions on this topic on the Txgeocaching site so im not gonna get in on the debate here. One thing i have to ask though,,,

Prime Suspect, how can you say that this does not exclude anyone? I mean, it's right there in black and white!

"If you have more that 10 FTF's you may not log this cache for 24 hours".
Oh, and to those who think an FTF from a restricted cache is cheapened, it's not.  Did you stop to think that the people who qualified to find the cache first were still competing with others who were qualified to find the cache?  I was still pleased to see that I had beaten some other newbies by only a few hours at the restricted cache where I got my first FTF.

To bad it wasn't a real First TO Find. Rather that restrict who can find a cache first which is very infintile, You can tell yourself all day that a FTF on a restricted cache is not cheapened, is most certainly is cheapened. :)

If I ever see a restricted cache in my area you can bet I will set up a shell account and go for it anyway. :rolleyes:

It would be better to request that the cache be activated on a saturday or a sunday (which can be done) then anyone that is not working that day can go try and find the cache at the same time and get a real FTF :)

Talk about infantile! "You can't tell me what to do! I'll make a sock so I can do it anyway! Wah wah wah wah wah" If you are going to "break" the rules of the cache owner at least be honest enough to do it under your real cache name. Raising a public outcry because you are asked to wait a day is so very childish.

And what is a "real" FTF any ways? The first person to find the cache is it - NO MATTER WHAT. I have a whole bunch of FTF's, do I feel proud when I'm the first to find a 1/1? Nah, it seems a little silly sometimes.

I keep hearing the same thing over and over around here: "Let them play the game their way". So why can't you just let the cache hider do that? If they want someone besides a FTF-hound to get firsties, let 'em. As for rules for logging, sometimes that's the whole reason for the cache. I have one, The Jester Doesn't Play With A Full Deck, that has some real rules to it - if you don't want to do it my way (which is just for fun), don't hunt the cache.

There were recently caches posted in the North Texas area. The restrictions stated "If you have more that 10 FTF's you may not log this cache for 24 hours".

Is it generally accepted to exclude a subset of cachers? Or is it hey it's ok it is the hiders cache? What subset of cachers will be excluded next?

This doesn't exclude anybody. Anyone who finds it, can log it. The owner is simply asking that the FTF hounds give someone else a shot.

I already posted my opinions on this topic on the Txgeocaching site so im not gonna get in on the debate here. One thing i have to ask though,,,

Prime Suspect, how can you say that this does not exclude anyone? I mean, it's right there in black and white!

They are not excluded, just delayed for a day. Excluded would mean never finding the cache.

I've gone after FTF several times, I think I have about 7-8 to my credit, but it might be as high as 10-12. I don't keep track. A few weeks ago, I drove 70 miles, grabbed a FTF and more importantly a T.B. I had been watching, and returned home leaving 4 other FTF's within a mile radius of the one I got.

Why?

So someone else could share in the fun.

The next guy was so impressed, he hit 2 of the others, plus the one I did, and left the final two FTF's for a third person.

So, you can see, I'm not obsessive about a FTF. But if that cache had been in my range, you can bet your bottom dollar I would have attempted it. Maybe I couldn't have LOGGED it for 24 hours, but you can bet my signature would have been in that logbook as fast as I could. I might even have taken a vacation day for it.

Why?

Because I think that is a silly rule.

Oh, and to those who think an FTF from a restricted cache is cheapened, it's not.  Did you stop to think that the people who qualified to find the cache first were still competing with others who were qualified to find the cache?  I was still pleased to see that I had beaten some other newbies by only a few hours at the restricted cache where I got my first FTF.

To bad it wasn't a real First TO Find. Rather that restrict who can find a cache first which is very infintile, You can tell yourself all day that a FTF on a restricted cache is not cheapened, is most certainly is cheapened. :)

If I ever see a restricted cache in my area you can bet I will set up a shell account and go for it anyway. :)

It would be better to request that the cache be activated on a saturday or a sunday (which can be done) then anyone that is not working that day can go try and find the cache at the same time and get a real FTF :)

Talk about infantile! "You can't tell me what to do! I'll make a sock so I can do it anyway! Wah wah wah wah wah" If you are going to "break" the rules of the cache owner at least be honest enough to do it under your real cache name. Raising a public outcry because you are asked to wait a day is so very childish.

And what is a "real" FTF any ways? The first person to find the cache is it - NO MATTER WHAT. I have a whole bunch of FTF's, do I feel proud when I'm the first to find a 1/1? Nah, it seems a little silly sometimes.

I keep hearing the same thing over and over around here: "Let them play the game their way". So why can't you just let the cache hider do that? If they want someone besides a FTF-hound to get firsties, let 'em. As for rules for logging, sometimes that's the whole reason for the cache. I have one, The Jester Doesn't Play With A Full Deck, that has some real rules to it - if you don't want to do it my way (which is just for fun), don't hunt the cache.

Geeeze, talk about a bunch of PC cr**. :rolleyes:

And what is a "real" FTF any ways?  The first person to find the cache is it

Using this logic why not

have a Kentucky derby and only let one horse run the race

or have an Indy 500 with one car

or a super bowl with one team

or a World series with one team

or a Chess match with one player

or a Texas holdum tournament with one player

or the Boston Marathon with one runner

the list goes on, would any of these be considered a real win, no they would not, they would be a joke.

Like I said before, just ask the reviewer list the cache on a Saturday or a Sunday when most people are not working. I have done this with some of my hides, or is that to simple of an idea. :D

I have one, The Jester Doesn't Play With A Full Deck, that has some real rules to it - if you don't want to do it my way (which is just for fun), don't hunt the cache.

Logging a cache and finding a cache are two different things.

One can find it and never bother with silly rules, because it can then go on your ignore list.

I have one, The Jester Doesn't Play With A Full Deck, that has some real rules to it - if you don't want to do it my way (which is just for fun), don't hunt the cache.

Logging a cache and finding a cache are two different things.

One can find it and never bother with silly rules, because it can then go on your ignore list.

Exactly.

You can prevent me from logging online, but what are you going to do, go find the log and rip my nameout? Not that it will change the fact that I found it.

These aren't finding requirements, they're online logging requirements.

It's not about smilies, it's about having my geo-history in one easy to access location. If I find something, I want to be able to record it.

sd

I'm going to get stones thrown at me for saying this:  I am all in favor of caches restricting FTFs to someone who doesn't have one, or has less than 100 finds.  There are geocachers who are retired and apparently do nothing but cache all day long.  They are able to go out and get FTFs on weekday mornings while the rest of us are getting ready for work.  Sure, us working folk can get up at 4AM to go after an FTF, but that doesn't always work.  One cache I know of was found at 1AM by someone on the way home from the late shift (or was it the bar?).  Give the people who actually work for a living the chance to get their first FTF.  I got my first FTF at a cache that was restricted to newbies for the first week, and I have gone on to log 4 more FTFs "the hard way."  One cacher I know of got ticked off that one of these retired guys kept getting the FTF on their caches, so they restricted the FTF on one of their recent hides.  It was found the evening after it was posted, so it wasn't like the hardcore cachers had to wait 2 weeks to be allowed to find it.

My friend and I only started caching back in November, but since then have taken at least 20 FTFs, either solo or working together. And guess what? We work 40 hours a week. We got them becasue we wanted them bad enough to get them, not because we had a world of free time. Heck, our first came after only caching for a month, and we succeeded where 6 other locals came up empty. Lost sleep? Yup. Got up early? Went at night? Got cold, wet? Yup. Yup. Yup. Yup. Left our wives/girlfriends warming the couch a few times? Uhhhhh, nevermind that.

FTF!!! Wow.. I have no idea how many I have and certainly will never go through my whole list to figure it out.

same here, I tried once to figure out how many I have, I gave after about a week and that was almost 400 caches ago, I think for auguat so far I have 6 maybe 8.

We have lots of FTF hounds around here. one local was surprised that I went out once at 3 AM for on :rolleyes:

Re: The dog cache. This is nuts. What is to prevent the ethically challenged from claiming they had a dog with them? You can always get a photo of the neighbor's dog. My point is- the rule is unenforceable.

Did you follow the link to that cache? Go read it. The owner wants a picture of your dog with the cache in the picture, among other things.

Yeah, it could be photoshopped, but if someone wants to claim one stinkin' cache badly enough to go to all that trouble just to cheat, let 'em! It's a game, for crying out loud!!!

Oh, and to those who think an FTF from a restricted cache is cheapened, it's not.

Of course it is. What have you earned when the competitors aren't allowed to compete? The whole point of beating everyone else to the cache is beating everyone else! Anything else, I'd be embarassed to admit.

Did you stop to think that the people who qualified to find the cache first were still competing with others who were qualified to find the cache?  I was still pleased to see that I had beaten some other newbies by only a few hours at the restricted cache where I got my first FTF.

I'm sorry, but I'm picturing the South Park episode where Cartman competes in the Special Olympics.

Edited by Ed_S
Re: The dog cache. This is nuts. What is to prevent the ethically challenged from claiming they had a dog with them? You can always get a photo of the neighbor's dog. My point is- the rule is unenforceable.

Did you follow the link to that cache? Go read it. The owner wants a picture of your dog with the cache in the picture, among other things.

Yeah, it could be photoshopped, but if someone wants to claim one stinkin' cache badly enough to go to all that trouble just to cheat, let 'em! It's a game, for crying out loud!!!

I'm trying to find the area where you and I disagree on this point. Lets see....You can falsify a photo. You can falsely claim the find. You can violate the owner's rules for claiming a find. The rule can't be enforced.

Nope. Don't see it.

I dunno. I guess I'm just having trouble admitting to myself that people would go to that much trouble just to fake one find. They'd have to have gone and found the cache to enter their name in the logbook, or risk having someone later blow the whistle on them, and have their "find" deleted anyway. Heck, they could even swipe a picture from a legitimate find, and color the dog a different color or put spots on it or something.

But it's not like you get a hundred dollars for the find, or something - that's why I don't see why some people cheat. Where does it get them?

Every now and then, a FTF finder works his butt off in ways those who come after him will never know. I was working on an unfound multi cache recently where one step was to count the benches in a small park and do some math with that number. I counted 11 benches. The coordinates took me 'way off course. I emailed the owner and asked if I was looking in the right area, because I thought it was private property. He said I wasn't in the right area. To make a long story short, he thought there were 10 benches in that park. Somewhere between when he set up the cache and someone looked for it, another bench got added. Someone who's never been a FTF would never have experiences like that.

They are not excluded, just delayed for a day. Excluded would mean never finding the cache.

No, the restriction says that certain cachers cannot log the cache for 24 hours. In other words, it means that they are "excluded" from logging it (and getting a legitimately earned FTF) in that time frame! :rolleyes:

Oh, and to those who think an FTF from a restricted cache is cheapened, it's not.

Of course it is. What have you earned when the competitors aren't allowed to compete? The whole point of beating everyone else to the cache is beating everyone else! Anything else, I'd be embarassed to admit.

Did you stop to think that the people who qualified to find the cache first were still competing with others who were qualified to find the cache?  I was still pleased to see that I had beaten some other newbies by only a few hours at the restricted cache where I got my first FTF.

I'm sorry, but I'm picturing the South Park episode where Cartman competes in the Special Olympics.

Would it be any different if the usual FTF suspects boycotted the cache? If they were removed from the competition by means beyond their control? Do they have to participate to make it real?

If a local cacher was so intent on getting FTFs I would probably wait until he got it before going out for myself. If it means nothing to me and something to him.. why not let him have it? HEY it has quit raining.. I'm going geocaching.. See y'all..

One thing I like about finding caches after everone else is that's the only way to find sig items. Except for those FTF sig items...

I've been playing this silly game now for better than four years. I've gotten quite a few FTFs, but I have no idea how many. I find it amusing to think that some goob may go through all of my logs to see if I've made over 10 FTFs.

If I noticed this cache pop up in my area, I'd run right out to try for a FTF; and I'm not even gung ho about getting FTFs. If I found it first, is the cache owner going to delete my log? If he does, that will certainly cheapen the experience for the 'new' FTFer. For this reason alone, I think the idea of restricting a cache in this manner is ill-advised.

If someone wants to be FTF, they need to get up earlier. They need to look harder. They need to work the behaviors that are necessary into their lives so they can be competitive.

I did think the comment that someone would be FTF on the way home from the bar. I assume that this would be on a very easy cache. I know that back when I frequented bars, I wasn't in a state to be a great cacher on my way home. (Remind me to tell the 'walking the dog' story sometime. :rolleyes: )

So much angst over such a tiny issue...

If a local cacher was so intent on getting FTFs I would probably wait until he got it before going out for myself. If it means nothing to me and something to him.. why not let him have it?  HEY it has quit raining.. I'm going geocaching.. See y'all..

One thing I like about finding caches after everone else is that's the only way to find sig items. Except for those FTF sig items...

I like that the bugs are worked out. Once, I was FTF on a cache that was about 1/3 mile from its coordinates. Another time a cache was about three miles away. If it wasn't for the description on the first and the cache name on the second, I wouldn't have found them.

How can I? Easy. Watch: "No one is being excluded from finding and logging this cache." :rolleyes:

Anybody who finds the cache can log it. A select group of people were asked to wait 24 hours before seeking the cache. That does not exclude anyone.

How can I? Easy. Watch: "No one is being excluded from finding and logging this cache." :rolleyes:

Anybody who finds the cache can log it. A select group of people were asked to wait 24 hours before seeking the cache. That does not exclude anyone.

I think that excludes a lot of people, even if for a limited time

This whole "delay 10+ FTFers" sounds a lot like "let your little brother win too". Sorry, but what exactly is the point in that?

Never let anyone, child, adult, disabled or not, win. No matter what the game. It is extremely disrespectfull, because if you feel the need to let someone win, it is because you assume that this person is mentally or physically incapable of winning that game without your help. Meaning, you think that person is too young, stupid or ill to beat the others. If you want to give someone a chance to win, play an appropriate game.

Geocaching is a game that gives very little room to enforce rules to begin with. And its community has long passed the size where anonymity becomes a factor in how easy people cross the line from bending to breaking rules. This thread shows already (proposal to use sock puppet for example), as soon as a restricting rule is added, someone has an idea how to circumvent it. The logical conclusion is, the less rules, the better.

Jan

This whole "delay 10+ FTFers" sounds a lot like "let your little brother win too". Sorry, but what exactly is the point in that?

Never let anyone, child, adult, disabled or not, win. No matter what the game. It is extremely disrespectfull, because if you feel the need to let someone win, it is because you assume that this person is mentally or physically incapable of winning that game without your help. Meaning, you think that person is too young, stupid or ill to beat the others. If you want to give someone a chance to win, play an appropriate game.

Geocaching is a game that gives very little room to enforce rules to begin with. And its community has long passed the size where anonymity becomes a factor in how easy people cross the line from bending to breaking rules. This thread shows already (proposal to use sock puppet for example), as soon as a restricting rule is added, someone has an idea how to circumvent it. The logical conclusion is, the less rules, the better.

Jan

I agree with your last paragraph but you're being a little harsh with the never let anyone win philosophy. If I'm playing peek-a-boo with a two year old, I'm not scarring them for life if I let them win. Generally, I play to win but there are some reasonable exceptions.

Would it be any different if the usual FTF suspects boycotted the cache? If they were removed from the competition by means beyond their control? Do they have to participate to make it real?

If any (or all) cachers chose to boycott the cache, that's their choice, and they are not being excluded by the owner. It's their choice - the cache is open to anyone.

No, they don't have to participate, but they, along with anyone else who cares to give it a shot, have to be given the same chance.

I agree with your last paragraph but you're being a little harsh with the never let anyone win philosophy. If I'm playing peek-a-boo with a two year old, I'm not scarring them for life if I let them win. Generally, I play to win but there are some reasonable exceptions.

Right, I am harsh, and not only a little. But can you imagine the joy and fun and the ultimate feeling of victory when my sons finally beat me in something like connect four, clue or the likes? There's nothing like kicking (dad's) arse. I can still remember when I won my first game of chess against my grandpa. It took years and it was the only win for some time after that, so I probably hit a blind spot. However, it was a real win.

Right too that toddlers are excluded from these rules. But then again I don't think many toddlers care much about the logging requirements of geocaches, or how hard I play Monopoly. Yet, at the age of 4 or so a child has a real chance to beat an average adult like me in "memory", so it doesn't take too long until there are games that allow you to play full strength.

Jan

The OP asked if it was ok to restrict who finds a cache. I say that, unless you are prepared to enforce whatever rules you decide on to restrict who finds the cache, it is totally pointless to add restrictions. If I decide that no one wearing a green shirt is allowed to find my cache, I'd better stand by the cache day and night with a stun gun or the restriction has no meaning.

The overall point is that a group of people can sit around a table and make a bunch of rules but the key to it all is in the enforcement. I am not advocating anyone breaking rules. I do not plan to break any rules. But there are people out there who will not hesitate to break rules. Then, what you gonna do, huh? You steppin? Huh? You wanna try somptin? Huh? I'd like to see you try.

No, the logging requirement is not right.  Why folks want to place restrictions on who can log a cache they've found is beyond me.

Members-only caches?

How did the non-member find it? If they were with a member, there is a way to log it on-line :D

A print-out was given to him by a friend who happened to be a member...duh.

No, the logging requirement is not right.  Why folks want to place restrictions on who can log a cache they've found is beyond me.

Members-only caches?

some of my caches were members only when I placed them because I wanted the FTF prizes to go to those that pay for premium membership. Once the FTF swag is gone I removed the members only feature.

Members-only caches?

How did the non-member find it? If they were with a member, there is a way to log it on-line :D

A print-out was given to him by a friend who happened to be a member...duh.

Sorry to offend. My kids have non-member accounts and find members only caches all the time. And they log them online - under their own account names.

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Jan

But a two year old isnt going out caching by themselves!

It matters not how good an athlete you are, how smart you are, or if you are handicapped, etc,,, (depends on cache difficulty ratings of course). What i mean to say is that if a person can go caching, then that person can get a FTF. He/she may not get as many of them but if they want em, they can get em.

By the way, i do believe that the restrictions on these caches were placed with good intentions. I just dont think they are needed.

...By the way, i do believe that the restrictions on these caches were placed with good intentions...

I agree. If the local FTF hounds always snagged the FTF prize as well, I can also see them having a desire to share the wealth so to speak. The only way to know for sure is to ask the cache owner though and someone already got them riled up.

Johnny, am I missing something on those caches you listed? I don't see any reference to asking "FTF Hounds" to let this one be. How do they know?

If you check the Texas geocaching forums the original listings are post there with the restrictions on any one who has already found 10 FTFs. You can also read the logs, on one cache the person that claimed the FTF mentions anyone with 10 or more FTFs was restricted from log the caches for 24 hours,

My guess is the hider got hassled a lot and changed the cache discrioptions

Out of 160 some caches I've found I don't have an ftf. I don't really try that hard but I go early when I think I have a chance. I've been second and third a few times. When I get my first ftf I want it to be legitimate, not a fake one.

In the area where I live there a just a few individuals who get to the caches first and I think that they deserve it. I don't care if they are retired or work nights or whatever. Who cares! They are there first.

Hay Im all for restricted caches, In fact I am thinking about one thats restricted to Red headed 36-24-36, 35 y/o ladies that have only one thing on their mind :laughing: Caching with me.

Or how about a cache that is restricted to only people of one race?

Or a cache that is only for those who make $ 100,000+ a year?

We can restrict caches all you want, but the fact is a restricted cache sucks and wont last long.