The New Jersey Thread

TucsonThompsen

Bring on the sub-optimal low tide-adventure! :laughing: I don't want the geocaching community thinking I wimped out on this one.

Rubber gloves....$2

100% DEET........$4

Hip waders.........$30

Anything else to bring to ensure the adventure is "Priceless?"

Trowel32...by rubber gloves, do you mean the kitchen/cleaning type or the lab/medical office type?

:laughing:

I used the kitchen cleaning type gloves -- more coverage and probably easier to get on and off if/when you need to, but I'm sure lab type gloves would work o.k. too B)

The Melvin's mud seems to adhere pretty well to geocachers, and it has a unique odor that doesn't seem to be that easy to get rid of afterwards :D

Edited by trowel32

For Melvin's i used hipwaders, gloves and a heavy coat. We had permafrost so I am not sure what it is like during the summer.

I would definately bring:

boots or waders --- by the end of it the waders were really uncomfortable and annoying!!! B)

bug spray --- 102% deet if possible

water --- make sure you are well hydrated, it is not a long hike distance wise, but will take a while (unless of couse you cross chest high over melvin's)

a sun hat --- by the time you are done it will be mid morning

a compass --- to work out the math a stage 4

Good luck!

:D

So are New Yorkers welcome to post here?

NO, Get your own thread!

Let's get real - first you exclude the New Yorkers, then its the folks from Philly , then us from the Pines till its your own private thread. Pardon the sharp reply but I think anyone from anywhere who is interested in anything to do with New Jersey (and that may include the adjacent areas) should be welcome period!

Frodo's two cents for what they are worth. B)

Hey Loca,

"The Pines" refers to the Pine Barrens of Southern New Jersey. Do a google search on that or the Pinelands National Preserve and you will find it is a very diverse ecosystem down this way. The Wharton State Forest is in the thick of it and has many good examples of the terrain. I would suggest visiting the Batsto vistors center for starters. Though as my neighbors here will quickly correct me, there is much more to the Pines than Wharton.

Anyway - I thought the post above was excluding the folks from New York and it upset me. There have been some previous threads here such as the Capture the Flag Travel Bug and a recent complaint about a White Jeep TB languishing in an 8 step, 4WD required multi cache whose tone has been abusive. I saw the NJ thread heading that way and had to object.

Quite honestly I don't know why we need a exclusive NJ thread. There are two good geocaching groups in NJ (North and South) where specifics are discussed. All with an interest in NJ are welcome on those boards And this board - which some of us think of as "The Big Board" can cover the general regional topics.

As I said before - my two cents worth. You are all welcome to agree or disagreee as you see fit. I would hope however that we can keep these boards inclusive and cut down on the mud slinging and trash talk that appears here from time to time.

Thanks for listening - I am shifting back into observe mode.

Frodo

NO, Get your own thread!

Let's get real - first you exclude the New Yorkers, then its the folks from Philly , then us from the Pines till its your own private thread.

That's the idea!

As I said before - my two cents worth. You are all welcome to agree or disagreee as you see fit. I would hope however that we can keep these boards inclusive and cut down on the mud slinging and trash talk that appears here from time to time.

Where's the fun in that?

Edited by briansnat

NO, Get your own thread!

Cute...(changing the font color).... :o

Frodo, Thanks for the "Pines" geography lesson. I'll have to get down there to see first hand soon!

Since I live in Somerset County, I don't truly feel that a northern or southern NJ board suits me since I like to geocache in both communities. Also, the only northern NJ board (NNJGPS) I could find was essentially inactive....so here I am, bothering everyone in the "New Jersey Thread".

What do other central jersey folk do? :lol:

What's the reason for the big division between Northern and Southern Jersey? Jersey is a small state when compared to most of the rest of the US states (only Delaware, Rhode Island, and Connecticut are smaller).

Once again, I quote:

getalong2.jpg

Pineys. Down the Shorers. Bridge and Tunnelers.....Philly fans....Can we...I mean can we all just get along here. :lol:

Anyone's welcome to post here So c'mon bring your takes!

And the reason I started this forum was so that on the big board there would be a centralised site for ALL things going on in this state instead of going to 2...3...4 different boards and registering 2...3....4 different times -- so everyone in the state AND surrounding environs would have a central location for all information, happenings, moans, complaints, quibbles, quereies, rants, congratulations, etc.

It certainly is small enough a state that it's reasonable for a someone from Bergen to make a day out of it in Cape May and the Pineys and vice versa. So why not have a single state forum?

Besides...162 posts and 3000 some odd viewers...I guess this thing is working.

</$0.02>

--TT--

What's the reason for the big division between Northern and Southern Jersey?  Jersey is a small state when compared to most of the rest of the US states (only Delaware, Rhode Island, and Connecticut are smaller).

IGNORE MODE DISABLED: The New Jersey Thread (couldnt stay away!)

The North / South division of the Jerseys has been debated many times. From what I have been able to surmise, it goes all the way back to the colonial days when the colony was divided into East and West Jersey and then settled by different groups. West Jersey was the area that most folks think of as South Jersey today and was originally settled by Quakers associated with William Penn etc. Salem and Woodbury go back to the 1600's and like many other old towns down this way have colonial Meeting Houses and burial grounds that are still active.

The East and West colonies were united into one colony before the revolution. However some of the differing views on politics are reflected even unto this day. The north generally votes Democratic, the south votes Republican. The north has New York as a neighbor, the south has Philly. Geographically there are large differences from one end of the state to the other.

Regarding the two groups. The SJ group has been going for about a year and is increasingly active. The NJ group has been organized for less time but is coming up to speed quickly. Each group takes a different approach which is great. A little diversity is fine as long as it isn't that Waymarking stuff (but that is another discussion!) I belong to both and monitor them for more specific local information.

Just my 2 cents worth:

1870_two_cents_rev.jpg

Edited by Frodo_Underhill

Besides...162 posts and 3000 some odd viewers...I guess this thing is working.

</$0.02>

--TT--

To the degree we can keep things civil, I would agree it is working.

However a lot of folks don't post here do to some previous trashings of people on the board. I would advise you to also check out the SJ & NJ groups for the big picture. Also SEPAG and some of the other neighboring groups are worth watching depending on where you tend to cache.

The East is fragmented so you have to shop around to see it all!

1870_two_cents_rev.jpg

Geographically there are large differences from one end of the state to the other.

Regarding the two groups. The SJ group has been going for about a year and is increasingly active. The NJ group has been organized for less time but is coming up to speed quickly. Each group takes a different approach which is great. A little diversity is fine as long as it isn't that Waymarking stuff (but that is another discussion!) I belong to both and monitor them for more specific local information.

1870_two_cents_rev.jpg

We have hills, and you don't. :lol:

<edit spelling of word: organized> Disorganized! Gotcha.

Ignore Brian. He lives in Virginia! ;)

Love the Barrens! Only place I've ever seen a Pink Trail! We really enjoyed South Joisey when we did chstress53's "Rock In" Down The Highway Earthcache . I highly recommend it to all Jerseyans! Get to know your state!

As to Tuckson Thomsen, we're not sure he qualifies as a Joisey boy yet. :o

Hey all.  Let's set up a long term thread that we can all talk about caching in and around New Jersey.  I found too many scattered bits an pieces of things of caching importance in the forums, but no centralised forum group for it. 

--TT--

Hmmmm

Going back to the original post, TT, I am not so sure this thread is working as well as you seem to think it is. 160+ posts have been made - but how many of them have actually been serious posts about caching in NJ? Instead, it's been everything from Rodney King pictures to discussing putting quotes in additional quote boxes to smack downs. (Unless Mason-Dixon line discussions count towards "caching importance"?) Unfortunately, this has got to be the worst hijacked thread I've ever seen! (I admit, I contributed to it myself!)

Briansnat said it well on the first page -- The entire Northeast Forum has primarily dominated by postings of Jersey Geocachers, with a few LIers/NYers. It cannot be contained to one thread (and hasn't been even since this thread was created). We all (posters and lurkers) were perfectly content with the way things were.

It has certainly been a noble quest on your part to create this one-stop shop for New Jersey, but I honestly believe that it has had an adverse affect. If I were from the West, were planning to visit Jersey, and read this thread, I would be really uncomfortable posting in the Northeast Forum period. I would also think No and So Jersey were at some major breaking point where one was going to secede from the other (and that talk died down somewhere in the early 80's). I haven't seen tempers take off like this since the Capture the Flag game.

I believe the 3000 page views attest to the fact that we all will rubberneck when confronted with a train wreck, not that we are finding useful caching information here. Anyone wanting that will either read the other threads (somewhere between the milestone congrats) or contact one of the local orgs.

On a lighter note, it has been a successful Off Topic thread for NJ.

Just my $0.02. (Flame retardant suit on)

Mother Hen

Edited by Evil Chicken
As to Tuckson Thomsen, we're not sure he qualifies as a Joisey boy yet.  :ph34r:

Indeed, unless there is documented proof of him eating a pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast, a buttered roll and coffee for lunch, White Manna/White Rose/Rutts Hut for dinner and disco fries at 2am, he can not join the Jersey club. (Alternatively, three consecutive meals can be eaten at The Windmill or the Pic-A-Lilli)

We still need to see him navigate a traffic circle and exhibit the proper use of a jug handle. And good grief brother, don't use your turn signals ... you're giving away your next move!

As for Rodney King, please keep him out of this forum. Unfortunately, he represents a very shameful and embarrassing moment in American history.

Anyway, I'm off now to finish digging a pit and mixing the cement.

PVSteve.gif

Okay, I'll make an on-topic post. Well, there's no purpose, just sort of a reflection on NJ.

We live in Ewing, just outside of Trenton, and usually go caching in the pines on the weekends. there are plenty of caches that are local, but there is something special about the pines. Anywhere will do--Collier's Mills, Whiting wildlife management area, Wharton State Forest, etc etc. It's the most amazingly beautiful scenery imaginable, and we usually, at some point in the day, pause and reflect on this being the most densely populated state in the nation. Last week, we drive six miles on a sugar sand road from one cache to another, and never saw or heard another soul. Has anyone seen Lake Oswego in Penn State Forest? (it's in Burlington county). It's beyond description.

It's a great state we live in. :ph34r:

The Melvin's Madness cache is frequently mentioned as being extremely difficult.

I would like to know from others which caches in Northern NJ (above the Raritan) they would consider the most difficult that they have attempted. TIA.

Melvins is certainly near the top of my list. I think my Bottom of Lake Passaic I is probably up there, now that the original access is off limits.

Edited by briansnat

Wow...completed Melvin's this morning with karrooite and TT. Intense, dirty adventure that the guys pulled me through at some points. I almost gave up en route to Stage 1 and was swearing Magoos name for making this part of his Merit cache...but alas, it was worth it in the end.

I think I could sell the final coords on Ebay (jk).

Was planning on heading down to Wharton to attempt some of the caches and stages there on Sunday.  Can any of the Pineys down there give me a road conditions update.  Especially after the rain of the past couple days.  How navigable is the place currently?

Actually, since the soil is mostly sand, the rain actually helps things (barring monsoon type conditions). Most of the time hunting down Choreographed Chaos was done under "less than ideal" conditions weather wise. But, it never hurts to have a FRS Radio on Channel 2 (just in case).:) :)

If you only have a 2wd vehicle, I'd recommend staying to the main roads under any circumstances. :)

Oh, and don't forget the bear replent (just in case you run into Frodo) :)

Just kidding, Frodo's a great guy, I had a chance to chat with him during one of my treks.

Was planning on heading down to Wharton to attempt some of the caches and stages there on Sunday.  Can any of the Pineys down there give me a road conditions update.  Especially after the rain of the past couple days.  How navigable is the place currently?

Actually, since the soil is mostly sand, the rain actually helps things (barring monsoon type conditions). Most of the time hunting down Choreographed Chaos was done under "less than ideal" conditions weather wise. But, it never hurts to have a FRS Radio on Channel 2 (just in case).:) :)

If you only have a 2wd vehicle, I'd recommend staying to the main roads under any circumstances. :)

Oh, and don't forget the bear replent (just in case you run into Frodo) ;)

Just kidding, Frodo's a great guy, I had a chance to chat with him during one of my treks.

Hey wait a minute!

ragingbear.jpg

You don't need bear repellant - Frodo doesn't bite! Though he does growl a bit when stuck on a puzzle cache! :)

I would worry more about some stong DEET based repellant for these buggers

2484.jpg

Seriously everyone I have chatted with lately is reporting a bumper crop of chiggers in the forest. Spray yourself liberally and wash up as soon as you can when you are done caching. They should be less of a problem after the first frost but they are particularly bad at this time.

You have to watch the puddles after a rain as you never know whats in them.

I would not recommend approaching most of the Code series in anything less than 4WD.

Code Green can be done 2WD just be careful - the road is tight. Code Blue other than first stage if you are good driving on sand. Code Yellow - iffy - you may want to walk. Codes White, Orange and Red - and most of my other Wharton caches definate 4WD.

The following roads are generally 2WD passable but watch for puddles and washboard effect.

Hampton Rd. from 206 to Carranza area.

Carranza Rd to Friendship - gets real sandy east of there and then clears up past Hawkin Bridge. I think it has a different name out of Friendship - Sandy Ridge or something like that.

Washington TPK from Batsto up to Washington area.

Quaker Bridge Rd. is getting pretty sandy - its a stretch to get 2WD to Quaker Bridge - would not recomend 2WD past Quaker Bridge

Stay off of Stokes Rd - it is a killer. First stage of Code Blue is down that way and I would walk - even with 4WD.

Comments are based on conditions over Labor Day weekend.

Generally if you don't know the depth of a puddle, don't cross it. And if you do decide to cross - don't hesitate.

FSR is a must - usually some cachers or Jeep enthusiasts out there. Cell phone reception in Wharton is real spotty.

Have fun - and check out the visitors center at Batsto if you get a chance. They have done a nice job of remodelling the inside and the exhibits. And the village is a nice visit. There are two quick Earth caches that can be had there these days.

Yes, double what he said about chiggers. Joe and I have been suffering for a couple of weeks. Joe's ankles were actually swollen since he had at least a hundred bites there. We both have bites all over. My worst hit area is my back! ARRRGH! :laughing: Those little *****ers ITCH! We doused ourselves with DEET every time, but that apparently doesn't take care of all of them.

I have yet to see one, I think they're really small or microscopic even, but BOYYY do they pack a punch.

Maybe we'll run into you down there this weekend, TT. <_<

Edited by Sue Gremlin
Yes, double what he said about chiggers. Joe and I have been suffering for a couple of weeks. Joe's ankles were actually swollen since he had at least a hundred bites there. We both have bites all over. My worst hit area is my back! ARRRGH! :blink: Those little *****ers ITCH! We doused ourselves with DEET every time, but that apparently doesn't take care of all of them.

I have yet to see one, I think they're really small or microscopic even, but BOYYY do they pack a punch.

Maybe we'll run into you down there this weekend, TT. :laughing:

Thanks for all the info. My brother and I are gonna try to be down at the visitor's centre by 9:30 AM or so. But for anyone out in Wharton, we'll monitor channel 10 FRS. Feel free to drop a line.

--TT--

Thanks for all the info. My brother and I are gonna try to be down at the visitor's centre by 9:30 AM or so. But for anyone out in Wharton, we'll monitor channel 10 FRS. Feel free to drop a line.

Good luck TT, I hope the Saturn keeps it's wheels one. :)

Why monitor Ch 10? I thought it was agreed that Geocachers use 2.

FYI, most 4x4 folks monitor Ch 4.

Good luck TT, I hope the Saturn keeps it's wheels one. :)

Why monitor Ch 10?  I thought it was agreed that Geocachers use 2.

FYI, most 4x4 folks monitor Ch 4.

Saturn made it through with no problems. Did Chaos, and three of the 6 color caches plus a bunch of others along the 206, Harrontown, and Batsto. Avoided Stokes road, but all the other ones were no problem. Even the mildly shifting sugar sand wasn't an issue. Only the chiggers were annoying. Can't wait to make another assault on Wharton in the near future.

BTW, I didn't get that memo about Channel 2 being the "geocacher" channel in my "Welcome to New Jersey" packet. In San Diego, Channel 2 was popular with the illegals and their coyotes coming across the border. Waaaay too much chatter to be any use to GCers. So the locals out there would just picked any old channel/subchannel for the day. But I guess I had this subconscious aversion to 2 when I suggested 10.

Duly noted for future reference.

--TT--

I saw you logged Chaos -- just curious, did you get the opportunity to do any of the 9 physical/field challenges that went along with the puzzles? The cache owners were really interested in showcasing all the hiding styles in the barrens - as well as the forest's diversity - it's a real treat to get out there and get 'em.

Editing to add: diversity -- Wharton is more than just a large tract of pine trees. The uplands are have deciduous and hardwood trees. The Great Swamp in all of it's mucky glory is there. There are cedar stillwaters (complete with leeches), ambling streams, lakes, cranberry bogs, etc. There are even pygmy pines.

Edited by Evil Chicken

Evil Chicken,

Not as such. But tagged teamed with the Cow Spots who in turn, tagged with RoddieDog and his team doing various chunks of the puzzle solutions 1 through 10, long-distance. I did (along with the Cow Spots) some 10-15 other caches in Wharton yesterday so we got a small flavour of the place in our time there. And yes...some of the pain too! Just read our logs about the bushwhacking (i.e. 'Nam-like) adventure getting Code White. And had only one run in with some chiggers. All in all a really fun day.

I'm planning on coming back down there soon to get many more as long as the weather holds and the roads stay good. But we were impressed with the variety and diversity of the flora there. Can't wait to go back and visit down south soon.

--TT--

Question, purposefully asked in this more limited thread. I seem to have problems with photo upload. Does anyone have a step 1,2, 3, method that appears to work with regularity. And is anyone else having photo upload problems. Do you modify your photos through third party programs like photo shop. TIA I searched the other general threads and did not find any info.