The New Jersey Thread

TucsonThompsen

What are you so worried about the jeeps for? Are they some personal TB of yours?

see http://jeep.geocaching.com/ for more information on the Jeep Travel Bugs, and once you got the main idea down, go to http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/ to see how to enter the contest.

I'm very familiar with the YJTBs and WJTBs. I was just wondering why the previous poster was so concerned that 2 of them might have possibly "gone missing".

What are you so worried about the jeeps for? Are they some personal TB of yours?

No, it's just a shame that they have become rare items to find. So rare that people feel the need to go out and take them and not log them on the site and be accountable for them. That's being a thief, and I just am calling attention to it.

There is/was a problem just like this in San Diego and Southern Arizona. It got to be so bad that the local cachers out there made a pact to out jeeps (white and yellow) into ONLY difficult puzzle caches or obscenely difficult to reach caches like those say.....requiring a 7 hr RT hike requiring 4000-7000 ft of elevation gain.

See

Newman Peak

Buster Springs

Another Puzzle?

I placed one personally in Newman Peak outside Eloy, AZ back last December. It's still there. I placed a white one in Another Puzzle? three weeks ago in Tucson, with the caveat that any of the previous finders were welcome to log and leave it for the next finder of that puzzle as their prize. So far it's worked out well.

It's just sad that there is someone who feels the need to steal them and make the remaining ones even less likely to be re-released into the wild to be poached.

--TT--

I don't think it is very fair to only put these White Jeep TBs in extremely difficult caches. Not everyone in Jersey are jeep theives. Like any other TB you want to keep it moving and allow other people to get the icon. I don't see a purpose in putting a jeep in a cache that gets visited five times a year. Why punish a bunch for the actions of a few. :rolleyes:

... local cachers out there made a pact to out jeeps (white and yellow) into ONLY difficult puzzle caches or obscenely difficult to reach caches like those say.....requiring a 7 hr RT hike requiring 4000-7000 ft of elevation gain.

I don't think it is very fair to only put these White Jeep TBs in extremely difficult caches. ... Why punish a bunch for the actions of a few.

That's not right either.

Jersey Trex brings up a good point, why punish others that have time restriction or physical limitations, or have difficulties with puzzle caches, from having a chance at a YJTB or WJTB?

After looking through the logs of that user Zuma, I highly doubt that they *stole* the travel bug. Calling them a thief and accusing them of stealing is a little strong. OK so they took then TB's without logging them on the website. Sure, that's annoying, but it's what happened and will continue to happen.

I've noticed that there are a lot of cachers locally, the choose not to log on line, and in fact we all probably know a few that aren't registered anymore, yet continue to find caches. There are even cachers that choose to

Find now and log later.

Perhaps I'm missing something on this whole subject.

see http://jeep.geocaching.com/ for more information on the Jeep Travel Bugs, and once you got the main idea down, go to http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/ to see how to enter the contest.

I'm very familiar with the YJTBs and WJTBs. I was just wondering why the previous poster was so concerned that 2 of them might have possibly "gone missing".

Greetings from Tucson, AZ! Hahahaha... Of course, it is overcast and crappy when I am here. Oh well, on to San Diego and then hopefully meeting up with Avro in LA.

I agree with Dave, who cares?

Greetings from Tucson, AZ! Hahahaha... Of course, it is overcast and crappy when I am here. Oh well, on to San Diego and then hopefully meeting up with Avro in LA.

I agree with Dave, who cares?

The reason people care is because by stealing the jeeps, other cachers do not get the chance to log them and enter the contest, thereby raising their chances of winning.

What do you mean that WJTB's are hard to come by? They are everywhere! If you are having trouble then go to a cache event. The last one we had, had about 5 WJTB's there. I get more annoyed about general TB thieves than Jeep TBs. Regular TBs have a had (in some cases) a decent amount of time put into them. When someone steals it, it makes you wonder what kind of person the average cacher is out there that they have to steal someone's plastic toy?

I realize alot of people just honestly lose them sometimes. It happens.

I had a TB missing for a year and it popped up in some cache somewhere and the person who held it must have switched names and dropped it off somewhere. Maybe they lost it and then found it one day while spring cleaning.....

It happens more than you think.

Jerseytrex

I sent an email to "Zuma" on saturday after returning from caching in Roosevelt Park and discovering the missing TBs. In my message, I asked them to log the TBs out of the cache. I have not heard back from "Zuma" to date. - LocaRoja accidently posting in TT's name

Edited by TucsonThompsen
What do you mean that WJTB's are hard to come by? They are everywhere! If you are having trouble then go to a cache event. The last one we had, had about 5 WJTB's there.

The CITO event we had last weekend had 6 White Jeeps, but the only reason there are so many at events is because there are so many people. Out of 40 or so people, 6 WJTB's isn't that many (but it didn't stop us from getting the numbers to log them). :wacko:

Mike, my caching partner wrote that he thought WJTBs are everywhere. I don't agree with him either. :D I saw more when they were first released then I do now. Some will be kept, some will be lost, and others will keep on moving. As a result their numbers will drop. But I still don't agree with ONLY putting them in extremely hard caches.

By the way TucsonThompsen, Mike & I are headed out to San Diego in a few weeks are their any caches that stand out which you recommend???

Thanks, Nikki

By the way TucsonThompsen, Mike & I are headed out to San Diego in a few weeks are their any caches that stand out which you recommend???

Depends on where in San Diego you are staying. SD metro is about 1/3 the size of the whole state of Jersey. Also, it's obscenely dense with caches. (~ 1500 in SD Metro and another 700 in the boonies).

If you are going to the SD Zoo in Balboa Park, there are several walking multis about the park that are fun to do. There is a virtual in the zoo called "Aloe Virtualis" by Duncan! who also works at the zoo if you can find him. Downthwn at the Gaslamp Quarter has a few micros and Coronado Island across the bay has a few ones with nice Bay Views. Cabrillo Point National Park at the end of Point Loma has a few virtuals that are worth the admission price ($5/car) as the views are incredible. Plus the kids will love feeding crabs to the sea urchins in the tidepools there.

Let's see....if you like lame-oh urban micros, you can't go wrong with the plethora of about 100 Santee Cammo Urban Micros (known as S.C.U.M.caches to the locals). Just pocket query anything in Santee and you'll get a boatload of (1/1)s.

If you want a really good hike (and I mean a lot of up and down and about 7 + miles RT with 2000-3000 ft of elevation gains) go check out Mission Trails Regional Park in San Diego. There are about 50 caches or so in the park there.

If you want to cache with the hoity-toity, there are several fun ones in La Jolla, along the La Jolla cove. Rent a sea kayak and paddle out a half mile to get "Gateway to the Submerged Forest" or try "Greta Garbo's Phone" at the La Valencia Hotel there. Also...there are several fun ones nearby in the eucalyptus forest at UC San Diego.

Check out the San Diego Thread in the West and Southwest forums and ask the locals there for any recommendations too. Just mention my name...see what response you get. :D

--TT--

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

A week ago we placed a WJTB in a cache in Atlantic County so South Jersey cachers could have a shot at one and no one's gone after it yet. Guess no one in South Jersey wants one that bad. We were lucky enough to find another one but I doubt I'll place it in South Jersey if the last one we placed continues to sit.

Depends on where in San Diego you are staying. SD metro is about 1/3 the size of the whole state of Jersey. Also, it's obscenely dense with caches. (~ 1500 in SD Metro and another 700 in the boonies).

--TT--

Thanks -TT-

Oh sorry we are going to be in Pacific Beach. We'll probably hit Balboa Park plus the kyaking one in La Jolla sounds neat.

Nikki (Jerseytrex)

The La Jolla area has some really pretty views. Can't go wrong there. There is

The caches at UCSD are all fun caches. Some of them are straight-forward caches but if you like to do multi/puzzle caches, there is a series on the Harry Potter theme & another 1 or 2 with the artwork placed around the campus. There is also a night cache that HAS to be done at night in the eucalyptus forest that's really fun. Also with Harry Potter. Need to have a bright flashlight & good eyesight for this one.

Then there are all of the puzzle caches TT placed while he was here. They've been adopted by other cachers here. You can (attempt) to figure the puzzles before you head out this way. lol

There is the Finding Nemo series in Mission Bay that keeps you close to the water. If you are going to Sea World, there is one there, too, I believe. Also the Wild Animal Park, where the animals are able to roam like they would in their native lands.

There is the Tuna View series that takes you to various views around SD.

Some at the Missions that were built by Father Junipero Serra way back when have caches.

If you go out East, the Sandy Creek Cowboys have a bunch that you'd crack up finding. Especially their version of a micro & their one with the throne. Then there's the one that you need a ladder for, unless you're part monkey like TT & just climb up the wall. Or would that be Spiderman?

If you want someone to do some powercaching with, then try the Geobabes (Skimmer & Splashette) (they spend Wednesdays caching), GeckoMan of Team Gecko (if you can keep up with him), or Flagman (he's a lawyer so it might be better if he ISN'T working. lol).

Like TT said, there are hundreds of caches to choose from. Have fun!

:unsure::laughing:

A week ago we placed a WJTB in a cache in Atlantic County so South Jersey cachers could have a shot at one and no one's gone after it yet. Guess no one in South Jersey wants one that bad. We were lucky enough to find another one but I doubt I'll place it in South Jersey if the last one we placed continues to sit.

:laughing:

I'm offended!

:blink:

I didn't look through your profile to see where you were caching in Atlantic Co., but it may be that you didn't place it in a popular/highly visited cache. Since cachers are not being notified automatically when WJTBs get dropped, no one will know its there until they happen upon the cache page. So, don't assume it's lack of interest! :unsure: Maybe you need to pick more frequently visited caches or maybe somebody did take it and never logged it.

(In case you think that my not looking to find out where the TB is proves lack of interest, please note that due to family illness, doctors, hospitals and surgery, we haven't been caching much this summer. We have found 2 and that is all we probably will find for awhile.)

Mother Hen

Thanks -TT-

Oh sorry we are going to be in Pacific Beach. We'll probably hit Balboa Park plus the kyaking one in La Jolla sounds neat.

Nikki (Jerseytrex)

Jerseytrex,

PB????!?!? Awww I miss it already.

Then you have to do one called "Bureaux de Change". And while you are at the cache site, would you mind picking up any of my left behind mail for me? I was lazy and put that outside my old house. :laughing:

But if you are in PB...take a stab at one called "Water Water Everywhere (and a cache you'd think). A very good test of your caching skills.

Dr. Boggis has a few others in and around PB and Mission Bay that are fun too.

--TT--

Thanks -TT-

Nikki (Jerseytrex)

Jerseytrex,

PB????!?!? Awww I miss it already.

Then you have to do one called "Bureaux de Change". And while you are at the cache site, would you mind picking up any of my left behind mail for me? I was lazy and put that outside my old house. :laughing:

But if you are in PB...take a stab at one called "Water Water Everywhere (and a cache you'd think). A very good test of your caching skills.

Dr. Boggis has a few others in and around PB and Mission Bay that are fun too.

--TT--

While in Pacific Beach, Jenny's Two-Tone Colour Scheme is one of our favorite TT caches...."blondes" don't do puzzles. And hey Jersey...give TT the respect he deserves...he is a caching legend in these parts....be afraid, be very afraid. luv ya TT!! :unsure:

:unsure:

I'm offended!

:unsure:

I didn't look through your profile to see where you were caching in Atlantic Co., but it may be that you didn't place it in a popular/highly visited cache. Since cachers are not being notified automatically when WJTBs get dropped, no one will know its there until they happen upon the cache page. So, don't assume it's lack of interest! :rolleyes: Maybe you need to pick more frequently visited caches or maybe somebody did take it and never logged it.

(In case you think that my not looking to find out where the TB is proves lack of interest, please note that due to family illness, doctors, hospitals and surgery, we haven't been caching much this summer. We have found 2 and that is all we probably will find for awhile.)

Mother Hen

I am not quite sure why you are so offended by this.

You can search on caches in your area quite easily and see which ones contain Jeeps, you do not have to look through a holder's logs or individual cache pages specifically.

We picked a challenging cache to place the WJTB in because we have had to earn the Jeeps we found, and wanted to make it a fun challenge for people in kind. Isn't that sort of the point of caching in general? :unsure: Do you have quarrel with the type of cache we placed it in then? I am confused. And I am very sorry you are not feeling up to snuff after a family trauma such as you describe, I know firsthand how that is, and it's never a pleasant thing. I am not sure what this has to do with the topic, however. I am sure Joe was not implying that you specifically had not been looking for the Jeep. I am not speaking for him, (and he can correct me if I am wrong), but I can guess he was just making a commentary on the demand for them down there. It's not about YOU.

To quote Joe Smith in another thread:

Oh, back on topic. My feeling from the beginning has been that this is something rare. To get it you have to go out of your way. In got mine by running through thorns, some have had to solve puzzles, and some have had to do much more. It also makes it much more rewarding when you earn the jeep.

Edited by Sue Gremlin

My bad: I have a YJTB that hasn't been dropped yet!

I couldn't say for certain how long I've had it, but I came across it just the other day, and knew immediately that I had to pass it on soon. I'm glad to have come across this thread while catching myself up.

I've been out of caching for many months now, what with travel, a job situation, and now relocating my home this week (yes, it really is possible to have no time for caching). While unboxing a bunch of kitchen supplies, out popped a yellow jeep. How it ended up in my kitchen, I will never know. I had seen it in my profile/posessions previously, and was sure that I dropped it but just failed to log it, and that someone else would eventually get it, but alas I was wrong.

Now that I am ensconced in Westfield, I'm looking for suggestions on placement, since Central NJ is open territory for me. Or should I just make my knife drawer a 3-1/2 star cache?

Many apologies.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=105153

I picked it up, also picked up cache per request , makes for an open spot for a new hide, also please note comments re: Garret Mtn. two caches there recently archived, which should allow for two new hides in case anyone is interested.

I know there are no places left to hide caches, but with a little imagination ..... :mad:

Since cachers are not being notified automatically when WJTBs get dropped, no one will know its there until they happen upon the cache page.  So, don't assume it's lack of interest!  :mad:  Maybe you need to pick more frequently visited caches

I'm not notified automatically when a WJTB gets dropped and yet we've found two. How does that happen do you think?

I wanted one so I did searches every day. We have also traveled hundreds of miles to find Jeeps that weren't there because even though they had been placed in the cache the day before, were found by someone else only an hour (or in one case minutes) before we got there.

I specifically wanted to place the Jeep in the Southern part of the state because it seemed to me that all the NJ WJTB were in the Northern part of the state. I thought I was doing a good thing. I understand that you've not been as able to cache as much as you'd like do to outside issues but I'm pretty sure people are still logging finds in South Jersey aren't they? Tell you what. Next time I place a TB in South Jersey I'll just toss it on your lawn as I drive by. How will that be? Do away with this whole hiding things in the woods business all together so it's more convenient for you. Sheesh.

I specifically wanted to place the Jeep in the Southern part of the state because it seemed to me that all the NJ WJTB were in the Northern part of the state. I thought I was doing a good thing. I understand that you've not been as able to cache as much as you'd like do to outside issues but I'm pretty sure people are still logging finds in South Jersey aren't they? Tell you what. Next time I place a TB in South Jersey I'll just toss it on your lawn as I drive by. How will that be? Do away with this whole hiding things in the woods business all together so it's more convenient for you. Sheesh.

It just amazes me that a WJTB doesn't get picked up in a specific time frame that you have arbitrarily designated as one week and somehow that implies a lack of interest in them in one half of a State! That's a really broad and rather incredulous statement to make and is what got my back up. It is also patently untrue.

It surprises me that you think the approvers would not bother to send any WJs to So. Jersey. So. Jersey did receive several - in fact, two ended up in Phila (one of which ended up in the recent SEPAG event) and there are WJs floating around down here. We have found 2 and I know several others who have as well. Your assumption that all WJs are in the upper half of the State is incorrect.

And yes, ppl are still logging finds. Some area cachers have retrieved WJs from No. Jersey and the Delaware Valley and brought them here too.

As I suggested before, you may have placed it in an infrequently visited cache - which may be why it wasn't picked up. Also, as I previously mentioned, it may have been picked up and not logged (that seems to be a common complaint). Either of these two scenarios are possible - but assuming "lack of interest" is laughable.

My original post had nothing to do with making caching more convenient to me. I only mentioned that due to family illness that we hadn't bothered to try to find your WJTB.

As for your remaining uncalled-for sarcasm regarding tossing a TB on my front lawn and "doing away with hiding things in the woods..." :mad: I won't dignify that with a response. There was no sarcasm implied in my original post and I don't intend to start.

You have tossed sarcasm and assumptions around left and right. I have done my best to answer your post fairly. The WJ is out there somewhere and some happy cacher will (or has) found it. Life goes on.

Mother Hen

Sorry I offended you but I think you're taking this way too personally. Offending anyone is not now nor ever was my intention. I will however clarify a few of my statements for you and leave it at that. First off I have in no way 'arbitrarily designated' any time frame that a WJTB should be picked up in. Rather I was referring to the fact that all the Jeeps I've either found or gone after have remained in their respective caches less than 24 hours and that combined with the discussion that was already going on in this thread regarding the lack of WJTBs in NJ is what prompted me to post. As such I thought it was obvious that if you've been unable to cache as much as you'd like such as you described in your post then you'd realize my statement was in no way directed at you, rather it was directed at those who have complained that there are no WJTBs available in caches. If I'm wrong and this was not obvious to you, I apologize.

As for choosing South Jersey to place our TB, at the time we had it in hand, my searches seemed to indicate that South Jersey had far fewer in caches than North Jersey. Also having been born and raised in Cape May I have a personal attachment to South Jersey and as such I wanted people down there to find it. Furthermore, having been born and raised in Cape May I do not personally consider Philadelphia or Doylestown (where the SEPAC event was held) to be South Jersey. I realize that is all my opinion only and I don't expect you or anyone else to agree to with it. If you feel South Jersey has enough WJTBs, fine for you. Personally I did not. Did I place it in a cache that's 'not active enough?' Perhaps. To be honest when I want to find a WJTB I look for them wherever they are and I don't consider how active the cache is. For that matter when I go after any cache I don't really consider how active it is beyond the normal checking the logs for several DNFs as I assume most cachers do. As such I didn't occur to me to check how active the cache was. I figured if I want a WJTB I'm going to go get it wherever it is if I'm able and I incorrectly (as you've pointed out) assumed the other people would do the same thing. Finally, I'm gathering you may have gotten the mistaken belief from my post that I'm offended that no one has gone after the Jeep I placed. This is not the case at all. I am surprised since as I've said my personal experience is that they don't tend to stay in caches that long but I'm in no way offended. Again, sorry I got your feathers ruffled. It wasn't at all my intention.

-Cheers

I accept your apology and hope you will accept mine for coming on so defensively (It's quite out of character for me. I am generally content to be a lurker - hence the sig line.) I am sorry for apparently misunderstanding the intent of your original post. It sounded to me like an unfair indictment of So. Jersey cachers in general. I will be glad to be wrong about that.

I do not personally consider Philadelphia or Doylestown (where the SEPAC event was held) to be South Jersey.

(Don't tell this to SEPAG, but I don't consider those areas to be So. Jersey either! :P )

/lurk :lol:

No worries and no indictment but I can see how it might have sounded that way. On the contrary I'm a native so you can understand how I feel about the place even if that didn't come through at first. I still don't think I'll give much consideration to how active the cache is when I place a TB but I'll also not be as surprised if it sits for a while. BTW TB or not I think the cache in question (GCN7BW) is absolutely worth doing. It's a lot of stages but they move right along and when you're done you feel like you've accomplished something.

I accept your apology and hope you will accept mine for coming on so defensively (It's quite out of character for me. I am generally content to be a lurker - hence the sig line.) I am sorry for apparently misunderstanding the intent of your original post. It sounded to me like an unfair indictment of So. Jersey cachers in general. I will be glad to be wrong about that.

I do not personally consider Philadelphia or Doylestown (where the SEPAC event was held) to be South Jersey.

(Don't tell this to SEPAG, but I don't consider those areas to be So. Jersey either! :lol: )

/lurk :P

You're all wrong. South jersey starts south of Route 80.

getalong2.jpg

North Jersey...Central Jersey....South Jersey....can we....I mean....

Can we all get along?

To me, being a native of Essex county, anything south of route 46 is South Jersey. :P

I have traveled the world and have seen all sorts of sights, but when I met Joe, I had not been south of Island Beach State Park. There's a whole lotta New Jersey left if you keep driving past exit 98! Who knew!? :lol:

Edited by Sue Gremlin
I accept your apology and hope you will accept mine for coming on so defensively (It's quite out of character for me. I am generally content to be a lurker - hence the sig line.)  I am sorry for apparently misunderstanding the intent of your original post.  It sounded to me like an unfair indictment of So. Jersey cachers in general.  I will be glad to be wrong about that.

(Don't tell this to SEPAG, but I don't consider those areas to be So. Jersey either! :cry: )

/lurk <_<

You're all wrong. South jersey starts south of Route 80.

Geologically Speaking, that is pretty close to the Glacial Moraine and thus is a GOOD dividing point for South Jersey/North Jersey.

"Let me take you home again, Moraine."

("Harry, can you sing Far, Far Away?")

I live south of Rte 46 (by a block or two), and am definitely in North Jersey!

The arbitrary dividing lines that I've seen are:

North Joisey: Sussex, Warren, Morris, Passaic, Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Union

Central Joisey: Hunterdon, Somerset, Middlesex, Mercer and Monmouth

South Joisey: Ocean, Burlington, Camden , Gloucester, Cumberland, Salem, Atlantic and Cape May.

Yes, I logged a cache that's fifteen or twenty miles away, and had not been found in a few months, to grab a WJTB! And, I'm looking around for next month's jeep, for next month's contest!

Note to all Jersey cachers, however geographically challenged you might find your respective selves: If you really want to have some fun, use this thread as a forum to taunt Happy Fun Ball! Just be forewarned that Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.... :lol:

North, South, Central New Jersey....who cares.....it ain't Cal-i-forn-i-a!!!

We miss you T.T. seems to be a slow down in the FTF races. One cache sat almost 4 hours before FTF.

Beware of the Happy Fun Ball New Jersey (and the rest of East Coast)....it can unleash devastingly insane caches that may explode your brain.

Edited by The Dillon Gang
>taunt Happy Fun Ball

Happy Fun Ball (???)

Happy Fun Ball is the most clueless geocacher in the history of the game, He couldn't even find the tudes on a GPSR without phoning for a hint.

Sigh.... It will obvioulsy take a little time for all you in Jersey to figure out what us fruits and nuts from CA are talking about.... Do a little research on the last two years of the San Diego Thread and you will (hopefully) get some insight on the nature of our loss and your gain when TT moved East.

I believe I've tried to register at NNJC 3 times. I do get the screen that says a confirmation email will be sent. I never get the email so once 24 hours passes I can try again. Not sure what I could be doing wrong. Yes it's the right email and yes I've doublechecked the random number to be typed in. Any ideas? I've been known to totally mess up in the past.  :D

Same thing happened to me. Guess they don't want us :P

I forgot to respond to this. Yep somehow Verizon doesn't want me to get mail from nnjc.org. Used my hotmail account and all is well. Not sure why they are treating it as spam.

When Rodney King makes an appearence, it is time to close the thread down.

Enough said.

Why would anyone want to do such a thing? This thread is going to be here for a while! (Maybe it will even reach 100 pages like the San Diego Thread is about to.)

So now it's about the numbers in here as well? I can help out with that.

:rolleyes: