The New Jersey Thread

TucsonThompsen

As I am finally starting to make a dent on the caches in my home area, I realized that of my 20 closest unfound caches, 8 of them are hard puzzles! :unsure:<_<:(:o I am doomed! I need to move somewhere else to be able to clean out a 10 mile radius zone. Perhaps I need a new goal, like clean out a 1 mile zone...no wait...one of those puzzles is 0.2 miles from my home, great. :(

Edited by LocaRoja
Trying to clear out a 10 miles circle?  Do a search based on zip 07438 and you will find 10 pages and most of an 11th are within 10 miles.  A total of 214 caches within 10 miles  (these are highlands caches, not urban micros  ;) ).

Hey, be glad you live in northern NJ. Knock on wood we haven't seen the micro spew that other areas deal with. There are people in some regions who would sell their GPS to have the percentage of quality caches that are in the 07438 area.

Edited by briansnat
Trying to clear out a 10 miles circle?  Do a search based on zip 07438 and you will find 10 pages and most of an 11th are within 10 miles.  A total of 214 caches within 10 miles  (these are highlands caches, not urban micros  ;) ).

Wow, I can barely get 5 pages from my home zip.

The best part, is I still have quit a few caches to get within the 10 radius.

I think I have less unfound caches in Wharton State Forrest then in Central NJ. ;)

Sorry Loca, I guess I'm somewhat responsible for your misery :D

Edited by ekitt10
Trying to clear out a 10 miles circle?  Do a search based on zip 07438 and you will find 10 pages and most of an 11th are within 10 miles.  A total of 214 caches within 10 miles  (these are highlands caches, not urban micros  :o ).

Oh Boo Hoo. I have too many quality caches close to my home :huh:

Oh, we're not COMPLAINING! :o

So may caches.. so little time

Out of 160 on my current Ten-Mile List, I have 23 yet to find. Doesn't count the one's I've put out, or the archived ones.

You want a nasty Ten-Mile List, try Andy Bear's from 07093. Only 154 current caches, but, they're spread out across Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Passaic, New York, Queens, Brooklyn and The Bronx Counties!

And that's not counting the twenty that we've found that have been archived!

Edited by Harry Dolphin

Okay, so everyone has a difficult zone to clear out, point acknowledged...but, it doesn't make me any happier when I look at my closest 20 unfound page. :laughing:

I need a geocaching fairy godmother to make all of the solutions to these mystery caches just pop into my head! :lol:

...and as an update, there are now 9 hard puzzles within 8 miles of my home I have left to find. :lol: Stop the pain... :huh:

Edited by LocaRoja
I wouldn't complain about caches being with-in ten miles from my house...I have most of them cleared out for twenty miles and now I have to travel far and wide to go caching and the gas prices just keep going up and up !!!!!

Fall is coming! When it cools off, I intend to retire a few series and place new ones to repopulate your within 20 mile radius. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't complain about caches being with-in ten miles from my house...I have most of them cleared out for twenty miles and now I have to travel  far and wide to go caching and the gas prices just keep going up and up !!!!!

Fall is coming! When it cools off, I intend to retire a few series and place new ones to repopulate your within 20 mile radius. :rolleyes:

More TRL Caches....I like the sounds of that!!!! :P

What does "borderline illegal" mean?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reference to me (yes...I'll call myself out on this) labelling certain hides, "borderline illegal"., I am referring to those caches which are nearly buried, or have become buried by nature. I've found a rash of hides out here that are buried up to the neck of the container in the ground leaving only the lid exposed. Usually these tend to be in really really dense forests which winds up having them become effectively fully buried by the leaves, twigs, and other detritus from the seasonal variations of the forest. I found one recently that, while intended to be stick out a few inches above the surface, was actually buried by the leaves and other stuff to a depth of five inches. I found it only because my walking pole punched through and hit something that felt not like dirt and normal forest floor.

So I guess when I mean "borderline illegal", I mean they were placed in legal fashion originally, but now have become fully buried, and thus now could be considered illegal hides.

I refer you all to GC.com's own regs on this:

"Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate. "

Oh well. I just find them. And It makes it all the more sweeter when you do find something evilly placed. :wub:

Comments from the peanut gallery? :(

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

The key to these hides is the pointy object rule. The use of naturally occuring holes and hollows is fair game. You will see a lot of hides covered with leaves and pine needles in the area. Walking sticks are good for tapping around the area when you suspect that kind of hide. They are also good for probing natural holes and cavities to ensure nature does not jump out of one at you.

I realized that of my 20 closest unfound caches, 8 of them are hard puzzles!    I am doomed!

And now you have a new puzzler to contend with. <snicker, snicker> :D

I think I'll never clear out this area, since others have adopted his evil caches. :D I guess I'll just have to clear out the area sans puzzles. :P

If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate. "

What if a "trowel32" is used to find the cache :D

Ha ha - bad joke...sorry :D

Punny

I don't think T32 would appreciate being used as an implement of destruction.

However the pointed object rule could apply to just about any of us geeky folk with pointed heads who go looking for these crazy puzzle caches!

What if a "trowel32" is used to find the cache  :D

I've found that method to work well.

She's also pretty good at clearing out spiderwebs on the path.:D

... labelling certain hides, "borderline illegal"., I am referring to those caches which are nearly buried, or have become buried by nature.

Regarding the buried cache issue, I think it widely accepted any cache placed, where you need to dig up the ground like looking for Black Beards treasure is just plan ridiculous.

However, a cache placed in boarder line manner, isn't nearly as bad. It's "evil", but does it cause as much stress on the enviorment as plastic contaner in a rotten log or hollow tree stump?

Maybe Im missing something, but this doesn't seem as damaging to the environment as a cache placed in a rotten log. A rotten log is home to many type of ground insects, newts and salamanders. Which in turn, become a good location of food for the small furry critters of the woods. The more a rotten log is broken down by man, the more stress is caused to these critters as their home gets destroyed. Coarse Woody Debris

I've seen lots of crazy things at cache sites, and I've even witness some cachers doing such things as ripping bark off of trees, kicking over hollowed trees, splitting rotten logs, and ripping out ground cover. WTF? All are much worst then a cache that's "buried" up to it's lid.

</devil's advocate>

Maybe Im missing something, but this doesn't seem as damaging to the environment as a cache placed in a rotten log.  A rotten log is home to many type of ground insects, newts and salamanders. Which in turn, become a good location of food for the small furry critters of the woods.  The more a rotten log is broken down by man, the more stress is caused to these critters as their home gets destroyed.

:P

The rationale for hiding a cache ANYWHERE goes quickly down hill if you start following this logic.

You could argue that hiding a cache in a crevace behind a rock could displace a snake. Covering a cache with leaves could displace frogs. Encouraging someone to walk through the woods this time of the year certainly displaces spiders (eaten more than my share). Or that group hunts traumatize vultures... :P

I consider tree stumps, dead logs and sticks fair game. I am much more put off by caches affixed to live trees with screws/bolts, caches placed amongst delicate vegitation (swamps, bogs) and micros in amongst bushes that require the searcher to pull them apart during the search.

What's up with all the geocoin icons on the event pages. I realize there are different types of geocoins, but are seven IDENTICAL icons really necessary :laughing: It's messing up my NJ search page so I have to scroll way over to see the actual caches - very annoying :laughing: Can't they wrap them around or something?

Perhaps this is taking the icon thing too far! :laughing: I thought the page was still loading and then I realized all the pertinent information was off the screen on the right.

Does anyone have any advice about the best time of year to find Melvin's Multiple Madness cache (needed for Magoo Merit cache)? As much as I'm looking forward to climbing through mud for a day, I was wondering if it is better to attempt this one in summer or winter? :laughing:

Thanks and hope all enjoy the long weekend

:sad:

Edited by LocaRoja
Does anyone have any advice about the best time of year to find Melvin's Multiple Madness cache (needed for Magoo Merit cache)?  As much as I'm looking forward to climbing through mud for a day, I was wondering if it is better to attempt this one in summer or winter?

I'm also eyeing Melvin. I thought that kayaking in sounds like a good option, however, I don't own a kayak. Also, generally it seems that it would be better to do this one in a team rather than alone. If some more folks are up for it, and someone knows someone with equipment, perhaps we can mount an attack before it gets too cold.

You are most likely going to get wet unless you wear hip waders, so it's probably best to do Melvin's when its warmer out. I just wore hiking boots with gaiters and only got wet below the knees (the gaiters really did nothing to help though). The best thing I brought with me was a pair of rubber gloves. They were great when I had to scramble up the stream/creek banks since the mud didn't really adhere to them -- and yes, I needed my hands to climb up and outta that mess :lol:

Maybe Im missing something, but this doesn't seem as damaging to the environment as a cache placed in a rotten log.  A rotten log is home to many type of ground insects, newts and salamanders. Which in turn, become a good location of food for the small furry critters of the woods.  The more a rotten log is broken down by man, the more stress is caused to these critters as their home gets destroyed.

What's the difference if the rotting log is disturbed by a man looking for a cache, a bear looking for grubs or a herd of deer walking over it? Also, I've been in the woods and haven't noticed a shortage of rotting logs.

Does anyone have any advice about the best time of year to find Melvin's Multiple Madness cache (needed for Magoo Merit cache)?  As much as I'm looking forward to climbing through mud for a day, I was wondering if it is better to attempt this one in summer or winter?

To enjoy the full Melvin's experience, it should be tackled in the summer. If you want to make it a bit easier do it in the winter like I did.

I thought that kayaking in sounds like a good option, however, I don't own a kayak

It isn't. It would be mostly useless and more of a pain to carry around than its worth.

Edited by briansnat