The New Jersey Thread

TucsonThompsen

Cache Longevity Question for NJ Cachers--I placed a series of small urban caches, ... 3 out of 5 are now temporarily disabled, awaiting a determination as to if they should be archived. I am wondering if they were just bad hides, which I don't think so or if others who place urban caches experience this type of problem. ...

Sometime what we think is a good hide, just doesn't turn out to be.

I guess it really comes down to deciding how much time you want to devote to replacing and checking up on a cache.

If a cache goes unfound for a few weeks and you've had problems with it staying put, do you really want to check up on it to make sure it is where it should be?

After I replace a cache the first time because it was muggled or damaged I seriously consider just bagging the whole thing, before I replace it a second time.

Initially, I would say that the longer the cache has been around, the less likely I would replace it, but I'm not sure that's a fact, as there are too many things to take into account.

Cache Longevity Question for NJ Cachers--I placed a series of small urban caches, Placements took place just over 1 month ago. 3 out of 5 are now temporarily disabled, awaiting a determination as to if they should be archived. I am wondering if they were just bad hides, which I don't think so or if others who place urban caches experience this type of problem. The series was named Silk City, I would appreciate hearing views on this. On my way to work this AM I stopped and picked one of them up, it was clear to me that someone had purposefully tampered with the cache, they left the small container, but took the top, which is of no use without the container . And the hide I thought was good.

A big concern with muggle-heavy-area caches is the covertness of the finders. I doubt that your caches are found by accident seeing as they were well hidden IMO. I'm set to hide a cache in a Newark park and my trial solution will be to post a spoiler on the cache page. This way they won't be attracting unwanted attention as they look for the cache. After all, the main idea is to get people to these little known urban gems.

Just my 2¢.

Cache Longevity Question for NJ Cachers--I placed a series of small urban caches, Placements took place just over 1 month ago. 3 out of 5 are now temporarily disabled, awaiting a determination as to if they should be archived. I am wondering if they were just bad hides, which I don't think so or if others who place urban caches experience this type of problem. The series was named Silk City, I would appreciate hearing views on this. On my way to work this AM I stopped and picked one of them up, it was clear to me that someone had purposefully tampered with the cache, they left the small container, but took the top, which is of no use without the container . And the hide I thought was good.

I think its a problem with urban caches anywhere.

Its not only an urban problem - they disappear in the state forest from time to time. We can all help to protect cache integrety by being stealthy in urban areas and being sure that the cache is not left in plain site it all cases. One of the problems in the forest is the natural cover for the cache is sometimes disturbed by the elements. Recovering after you find a cache in that condition is a customary courtesy that cachers usually extend to each other.

Cache Longevity Question for NJ Cachers--I placed a series of small urban caches, Placements took place just over 1 month ago. 3 out of 5 are now temporarily disabled, awaiting a determination as to if they should be archived.

One of them appears to have been an accidental loss, not a theft. The other one, at the war memorial, could have gotten washed out of position by rain or ice melt. The third one, however, could potentially be discovered by dozens of students from the nearby school. We cannot foresee all the problems with a cache location. The best we can do is try to place the cache in a reasonable location, and if it doesn't work well, archive it and find another location to place a cache.

The article should've included a GPS as a must have, especially when venturing out on your own. I bought a GPS precisely because I was tired of getting confused, well ok lost, in the woods because of outdated or forgotten maps. I didn't discover geocaching until I was learning how to use my GPS. Plus if something does happens, you can give Search & Rescue your exact location, assuming your communication device works.

-ramapo

I also agree, GPS'r and cell phone are great to have with you while hiking, backpacking, caching etc., but they should be the last resort for help. Rescues involve a lot of time and manpower and also put other people(rescuers at risk). If people would go out prepared with the essentials; water, food, proper clothing, flashlight, first aid kit, knowledge of the area before hand, maps and leave an itinerary with others as to where they are going and when they plan on getting back, then stick to their plan they will be alot safer and maybe won't need rescueing and will be easier to find if they do need rescueing.

In some areas they are now charging you to be rescued. I have read that the cost can be around $5000 minimum if it is proven that you got in trouble because of not being prepared and basicly being stupid. There have been too many hikers thinking that if they have a cell phone and GPS with them they can get out easily or be rescued easily. You still might spend a long time out in the woods before anyone can get to you. What if the batteries die, or no signals? There have been many calls for help that they didn't need rescueing from. They could have walked out if they had some common sence and been prepared.

Nothing beats being prepared to spend a night out if anything did happen no matter what time of year it is. Most accidents that occure are minor and the hiker could probably get out on their own without the need of rescue.

I do carry both GPS and Cell Phone when hiking, but again they should be used only when absolutely needed, and you can't rely on them to work all the time when needed.

I do have some experience in rescue. I was trained a a Wilderness EMT in New Hampshire and was also taught about wilderness rescue. I can't tell you how many times I have run across hikers without the basics, not being properly dressed, no water with them. If you go out like that your are just asking for trouble. It doesn't matter if you are hiking on Sparta Mt or in the Water Gap or the White Mts. If something happens to you while you are by yourself and you can't travel it can be hours before anyone can get to you after your call for help. Being prepared can make you a lot more comfortable while you wait for that help to arrive.

Periodically, someone in this forum or the main forum asked about "flour trails" they see in the woods while caching. We've had some discussion here about it, for those that are not in the know, these are created by a underground group that runs through the woods for a couple hours and then drinks beer until they pass out ... or something like that.

Anyway, it seems the "sport" has gone prime time. Flour trail no half-baked trek, I thought this was interesting since we've had several conversations about this in the past.

No, I will not be running out there on my new mechanical leg this year. :unsure: Besides, as most of you know, I don't drink and the last time I ran there was a vulture with a 5ft wing span breathing down my neck. :laughing:

Of possible interest to North Jersey Hikers and geocachers, in the paper yesterday or today, now I can't find and cant remember when :laughing: was an article indicating that 400 acres was acquired in West Milford and will be annexed to Norvin Green State Park.

Highlands Protection Legislation is having an impact on development, some developers have come to the conclusion that the impact of the restrictions no longer make it viable to develop and they are better off selling the land off for park land, as evidenced by this acquisition and the recent Kinnelon purchase.

There was kind of an interesting discussion in general forums regarding the SBA bomb and such. My question deals with what do you do when you see that a cache remains active. Even though it has been gone for months Has not been replaced, the cacher is inactive and has not responded to an E Mail.

Specifically I was speaking of

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...50-4ee3bba2c53c

This is a great place to take a real nice interesting walk. But it is probably an ill advised place to place a cache, in that it is on top of a transcontinental natural gas pipe line. It is a single hide from an inactive cacher. I just have a feeling that placement of a geocache atop a natural gas pipeline is not appropriate under any circumstance, but hey someone might have a different opinion. <_<

What do other Jersey Cacher's think? I have come across 3 or 4 of these in the last couple of months. Do you just move on and leave it to lay out there or do you speak up ?

Edited by Packanack

Well, I slapped a SBA on a few caches that were obviously long missing, and got nasty replies from the owners. Okay, I probably should have e-mailed the owners first. :o Far more anonymous to e-mail the reviewer sugesting a problem. Pofe's been very good about watching caches that are disabled, or reported to be missing.

Paradise was an easy cache to find.

Of Possible Interest to Northern New Jersey Cachers:

Many people in the caching community attended and spoke very highly of the GONE event held at Camp Glen Gray in Mahwah, NJ.

Camp Glen Gray is holding a BEAVER DAY on April 29. A BEAVER DAY is a day set aside to try and spruce up, fix up , paint, repair camp facilities and they are seeking people to help in that effort. Some people camp over, others just come for the day. I have been involved in similar (not at Glen Gray) efforts and it can be rewarding and also can be a lot of fun.

If you are of a mind to help out, you can visit link for more informaiton:

http://www.glengray.org/Beaver06.html

This Camp has a storied history and remains something of an anomoly in this day and age, a set aside area in the most populous county of the state for outdoor pursuits.

Edited by Packanack

Many people in the caching community attended and spoke very highly of the GONE event held at Camp Glen Gray in Mahwah, NJ.

Camp Glen Gray is holding a BEAVER DAY on April 29. A BEAVER DAY is a day set aside to try and spruce up, fix up , paint, repair camp facilities and they are seeking people to help in that effort. Some people camp over, others just come for the day. I have been involved in similar (not at Glen Gray) efforts and it can be rewarding and also can be a lot of fun.

This Camp has a storied history and remains something of an anomoly in this day and age, a set aside area in the most populous county of the state for outdoor pursuits.

Sounds like a great opportunity to help out. Perhaps the NNJC can participate as a group, which would help give us a good name in the eyes of the county. I know they are aware of geocaching and the fact that its done in their parks, but I have know idea what they think of it, or are thinking about doing about it - if anything.

There may be a way to make this into an event, but it will take some thought to make it fit the event guidelines.

At the moment I think I can do this.

Edited by briansnat

Wayne Adult SchoolsOf possible interest to NJ Area Cachers: Or persons interested in learning the lore of map and compass

Wayne Adult School, Wayne NJ is offering a course in Orienteering , two sessions followed by a Sat hike

Dates are May 2 and 4 for classroom and map and compass techniques at 7:30PM. global positioning systems will also be reviewed. Hike on May 6 --9 to 1:30Pm, instructor Harold Petzold, cost 55.00.

www.WayneCommunityPrograms.org

Edited by Packanack

There was a park officer involved shooting in Mahwah over the weekend, and the person who was shot was critically injured. Another party was injured but apparently not as seriously. The person shot is in critical condition. The area of the shooting was Ringwood State Park which comes over into Bergen County and backs up against Ramapo County Reservation. I believe that the actual shooting took place near the location of the Davidson cache, one of the older NJ caches, which I believe is being maintained by BrianSnat. I had recently placed a cache near the County High Point and there is also The Den. The shooting apparently involved ATV riders grouped for riding and a cook out. It looks like enforcement of the ATV ban may have brought law enforcement and ATV'ers into contact. The reason why I am calling this to your attention is that NYNJTC forum had a thread on its Viewpoints Page, wherein some intemperate remarks were made about ATV'ers and I can see a potential for escalation of animosity between the group and persons hiking in that area. Hopefully, that will not be the case, however the remarks were insensitive in the extreme. The comments were escalating, which hopefully would not result in confrontations between hikers and ATV'ers in the area.

Edited by Packanack

Ah. I could really go ballistic on this thread! Though, I am surprised that it has escalated into a shooting.

The modern generation is the “Me” generation. “I do what I want to do. Laws do not apply to me.”

It is illegal to operate motored vehicles, including bicycles, in state parks/forests except for trails set aside for that purpose. In fact, it is illegal to operate ATVs on any land without permission form the land owner.

As you know, I maintain a trail in a state park. I’ve seen bicycles, ATVs, motorcycles, dogs not on leash, and swimmers. These are all illegal activities. “You are not permitted to ride motorcycles here. This is a state park.” “We didn’t know we were in a state park.” That’s irrelevant. You have to have permission, and follow the laws.

I’ve seen many trails ruined by ORVs. The Highlands Trail south of Route 23 is a prime example.

Of particular interest was the statement in today’s Star-Ledger (not a direct quote from anyone): “Friends of Mann among the tight-knit Ramapo Pough-Lenapi community living near the reservation said the group was in the woods enjoying their tradition of camping and riding off-road vehicles in the mountainous region.” Riding ORVs is a ‘tradition’????

Intemperate remarks concerning illegal use of ATVs? I’m sure that I have a few that I have not expressed yet. Some people use the land legally; others have nothing but contempt for the law nor for common sense.

Harry: This was a quote from the NYNJTC.org viewpoint.

"Look, they're threatening me here! You all are getting what you deserve, drunken law-breakers."

I just thought that a bit "intemperate". And my point was really that the hiking community should be aware of the tensions that exist in that area and be mindful of the potential for escalation of problems. I would hate to go hiking in that area and be subjected to harrassment just because I am an outsider or a hiker and I can foresee that potentiality when all of the underlying issues get exposed.

Dogs off Leash - Funny you mention that, there was a letter to the Editor in The Record today remarking on the off leash dog problem at Ramapo County Reservation , Mahwah--something I had personally run into a couple of months ago. So you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be stepped up enforcement over there for awhile. ATV enforcement in Wanaque has been substantially stepped up on the back side of Ramapo State Forest, but that has been a local effort.

As more and more people compete for less and less recreational land these conflicts are bound to be increased, that is why I believe that geocachers need to be particularly mindful of how their hobby affects others and to quickly move to rid the sport of questionable and ill considered hides, lest we be legislated out of business, so to speak.

Edited by Packanack

TeamHopewell attended The Great Smokey Mtn GeoQuest last weekend in and around Knoxville, Tenn. We had two other cachers join our team:BigTexLeBrun from Asheville, NC and Stantheman13 from Hampton, Va. It was a pleasure caching with them.

This was an event of monumental proportion and firsts. We had to find about 80 caches over the two-day period and complete 4 challenges each day with each team member completing one challenge each. This was a grueling event starting at 9am and ending at about 5pm each day. You were scored by the caches you found and how well you scored in the challenges.

Round trip TeamHopewell drove over 2000 miles during this event. The best part besides the camaraderie was the firsts in this event. The Knoxville Zoo, Knoxville Art Museum, the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame, and the Bass Pro Shop to name a few opened up their doors to us to cache in and to complete challenges. The Great Smokey Mountain National Park allowed 5 physical caches to be placed in the park for us to find. A BIG FIRST!! Hopefully this will start to help open up some doors to caching in national parks. TeamHopewell gives Fluffy and Itchy, The Great Smokey Mtn Geocaching Club, and the many volunteers a big round of applause for their time and effort spent in setting up and running this event. We highly recommend going to this event next year if it happens again.

Of possible Interest to those in the Northern New Jersey Hiking Community-which sometimes includes geocachers :) Norvin Green State Park has been mentioned a number of times in the forums as a delightful place and for the most part it is, there are some sections that are in need of attention, specifically the Burnt Meadow Road area--well it seems as though someone is coming in to help

Venturing is a part of the Boy Scout Organization,

Northern NJ Council’s (Iaoapogh Mountains District) Regional Hike ‘n’ Serve Venture Crew #100 has adopted Norvin Green State Forest (Passaic County) as a site to construct and maintain hiking trails. Service on the trail is a key focus of the recently-formed Crew, in addition to outdoor fun and skill development. Current Crew members are from Essex, Bergen and Rockland Counties, and have just completed Venture Leadership Skills training.

A meeting this Friday, April 7, will include planning for an April 22-23 camping and trail construction trip at Norvin Green. Adult trip leaders are Crew Advisors Bill Badinelli and Judy Murphy, and NY-NJ Trail Conference Trail Supervisor/Consultant (Wyanokies Area) Kenneth Card.

New members are welcome to join at this meeting: Friday, April 7, 7:30 pm, New York-New Jersey Trail Conference Office, 156 Ramapo Valley Road, Mahwah, NJ;

in advance of the April 22-23 trip; or anytime through the year.

Annual Crew fee is $50/year, April trip fee is $25.00.

Venturing is a Boy Scout Division open to young men and women aged 14-20 who have finished the eighth grade,

Call 973-632-4895 or email edelson@nynjtc.org for more information or to join, or visit www.glengray.org.

The Crew meets the first Friday of each month in Mahwah at 7:30 pm, has an outing each month, and is offering a Floodwood/Adirondack canoe trip this summer.

Maureen 'Mo' Edelson

Director of Development

New York-New Jersey Trail Conference, Inc.

“Connecting People With Nature”

156 Ramapo Valley Road

Mahwah, NJ 07430

Tel: 201-512-9348

Fax: 201-512-9012

Cell: 973-632-4895

I noticed this when it was first posted, but forgot to post after a flood control warning. I wonder if we can have an event there on Beaver day... unfortuneately I will not be around that weekend :anibad:

Well, if it's all the same, I'll just keep posting here.

And last time I checked, there was no Mason/Dixon line in NJ.

North. South. It doesn't matter to me. The schism between North and South Jersey reminds me of something I was told in a interview once in had at a company in NC.

----------------------------------

Oh boy....

Draw a line straight across New Jersey from Trenton to the ocean. That is our Mason-Dixon Line. And the North Jerseyans can have that blasted capital city too.

I noticed this when it was first posted, but forgot to post after a flood control warning. I wonder if we can have an event there on Beaver day... unfortuneately I will not be around that weekend <_<

Good idea, thought it would be pretty hard to tweak it so it meets either the event or CITO guidelines.

Well, if it's all the same, I'll just keep posting here.

And last time I checked, there was no Mason/Dixon line in NJ.

North. South. It doesn't matter to me. The schism between North and South Jersey reminds me of something I was told in a interview once in had at a company in NC.

----------------------------------

Oh boy....

Draw a line straight across New Jersey from Trenton to the ocean. That is our Mason-Dixon Line. And the North Jerseyans can have that blasted capital city too.

We North Jerseyans are HAPPY to cede Trenton to SOUTH JERSEY (along with the delightful village of Camden)

http://www.injersey.com/day/story/0,2379,366865,00.html

A local New Jersey History site relates how a NJ Department of Transportation marker in Long Beach Island is the unofficial start of the Mason Dixon Line:

Location of the monument on Long Beach Island: Latitude 39 degrees, 43 minutes and 26.3 seconds North. As per the GPS the line passes though Long Beach Island in Loveladies, near the LBI Association and a blue house on Long Beach Boulevard.

Directions: Take Route 72 East then make a left (North) on Long Beach Boulevard. The LBI Association will be on the left in Loveladies. Look for the weird art in front of the place. Park in their lot and walk out to the roadway and you will see the marker on the side of the roadway.

There is, down around Exit two or three on the NJ Turnpike, a marker for where the Mason-Dixon line does swing across the lower southwest corner of the state in an area that used to be the Delaware border.

The Mason and Dixon Line does not extend across New Jersey. It marks the boundary between Pennsylvania, and Maryland, West Virginia, and Delaware, and the boundary between Maryland and Delaware. Nor does this line extend across Ohio, Indiana, nor even the Atlantic Ocean.

This is like saying that New Jersey is above the line separating Colorado and New Mexico.

That being said, south Jerseyans are southerners! :blink: But Trenton is in Central Joisey, not South Joisey.

The Mason and Dixon Line does not extend across New Jersey. It marks the boundary between Pennsylvania, and Maryland, West Virginia, and Delaware, and the boundary between Maryland and Delaware. Nor does this line extend across Ohio, Indiana, nor even the Atlantic Ocean.

This is like saying that New Jersey is above the line separating Colorado and New Mexico.

That being said, south Jerseyans are southerners! :ph34r: But Trenton is in Central Joisey, not South Joisey.

Thats fine as long as us North Jersey types don't get put in the box with TRENTON!

And we should be hearing less and less from the Long Island contingent now that their inferiority complex otherwise known as the Islanders is back in business.

Is the quote on the bottom from The BlackAdder?

If so, I will let your comment slide. However, before talking junk, we shall see how everything unfolds with the new cap.

Jersey still sucks though. :)

Just thought I would bring this quote back into the fold as the time of year seems right for a little reflection. Go Rangers. :P