Olympic Sport

hmmm... it's the old one - Is a Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit isn't it!!

I think it's as much a sport as you make it... if you were to do say Lord Of Th Rings - which is a 5/5, then it's definately a sport, but then you can do 1/1's and it's a nice stroll in the park!

Shame Stealth does not play a part in sports eh!!?

My French colleagues are only slightly shocked, but we're some way from Paris here. They are all blaming Chirac, especially when I "helpfully" point out what he said about the Finns having the world's worst food (there are at least 2 Finns on the IOC voting committee, ha ha ha).

Edited by sTeamTraen
London?! is that somewhere South of Birmingham?? May as well of been in Paris as far as us northerners are concerned :huh::(

Pengy

I'm just chuckling to myself over that comment... Last night on Big Brother Derek (a Tory spin type person and v posh londoner) said - "He's from the North of England - a very deprived place!!"

Hmmmmm not overly happy with that one!

As if you dont know where London is  :(  who holds the record for the most finds in 24Hrs IN LONDON then  ;)

Ohh that London.. B):huh: (Cough cough). Land of the black bogey`s and micro`s :(

Although I suppose someone has to live there :huh: rather not us though, too crowded and polluted, perfer a short drive and get that lovely country air..... as long as the farmer hasn`t been spreading that day... :(

Pengy

Pengy

I'm just chuckling to myself over that comment... Last night on Big Brother Derek (a Tory spin type person and v posh londoner) said - "He's from the North of England - a very deprived place!!"

Hmmmmm not overly happy with that one!

Yes, we chuckled at that comment on BB as well. If we are so deprived why do some of the northern counties have so many caches compared with some southern counties?

Don't think that we are deprived, when we've run out of caches up here then we'll be deprived :huh:.

Edited by Skippy and Pingu
It's got nothing to do with North / South, London won - the great capital of this great nation. Well done to Seb and Coe!

Yes... well done to everyone.... I guess they'll use facilities up here in the grim north too - like the Manchester Stadium that was built for the Commonwealth games.

I also chuckled at the thought of having the Beach Vollyball at Horseguards Parade... bit of entertainment for the guards there!!!! :huh:

London?! is that somewhere South of Birmingham?? May as well of been in Paris as far as us northerners are concerned :huh::(

Pengy

I hear its near to Pickets Lock where our last successfull bid for a major sporting event was going to be until it turned out to expensive and slightly hard to organise so we gave up.

It's got nothing to do with North / South, London won - the great capital of this great nation. Well done to Seb and Coe!

Sorry Mate but that wasn't Sebs attitude when Manchester was the bidding city! Guess who was one of those vocal that the stadium shouldn't get the funding to be a 80,000 seater as it would affect Wemblys funding! It's all to do with the North-South divide!

Dave

Well I for one was routing for Manchester when they were bidding. We are all part of a great nation.

Remember "divide and conquer". We don't want that happening to us now do we :huh:

Great idea about venue event caches. I am going to put that to my colleague to see if we can sort something out soon.

Well I for one was routing for Manchester when they were bidding. We are all part of a great nation.

Remember "divide and conquer". We don't want that happening to us now do we :huh:

Great idea about venue event caches. I am going to put that to my colleague to see if we can sort something out soon.

I was hoping Paris would get it..... It's only a couple of hours away by train and the Frogs would have to foot the enormous bill :huh::(

I was hoping Paris would get it..... It's only a couple of hours away by train and the Frogs would have to foot the enormous bill :huh::(

That's how I felt until a couple of days ago, but the thought of that arch p**t Chirac gloating after a French win changed my mind. It has to be worth the cost if only to wipe the smile off his face. :huh::(:(

I CAN FEEL A RANT COMING

Why is it that when ever something comes to this country that everyone turns round and says "here we go again".

The above thread is full of negitive coments surrounding TODAYS annoucment.

Why cant everyone come together and be proud as a nation?????

This is going to be our chance to show the world who we are, not go on about north south divides!

I hear its near to Pickets Lock where our last successfull bid for a major sporting event was going to be until it turned out to expensive and slightly hard to organise so we gave up

There are full details on this on the bbc website. It was not a case of we "gave up". :huh:

we have 7 years here to complete some of the biggest stadiums which have been built for years and that will help our children (whether they are born in london or not) for years to come.

SO stop all the negotivity, all the bitching and try and get along

Whether anyone is for or against the 2012 Olympics being held in London is really a mute point, as that is where it is being held.

What's any of this got to do with caching? Which I don't seem becoming an Olympic sport somehow :huh:

Edited by Bekandian
I thought the olympics were about unity, friendship & friendly competionmuch the same as the spirit of geocaching. ;)

Really?! I thought politics, greed and corruption - Oh yes, and a bit of professional sport (Olympics, not Geocaching).

However, as it's going to be here let's all enjoy it North, South, East and West. And let's all try and not to lose too much sleep over the disappointment across the Channel :huh::(:huh::(:(

London?!  is that somewhere South of Birmingham??  May as well of been in Paris as far as us northerners are concerned  :huh:  :(

Pengy

I hear its near to Pickets Lock where our last successfull bid for a major sporting event was going to be until it turned out to expensive and slightly hard to organise so we gave up.

Yep. And used it as an excuse to close down the sports centre so the local kids have no local facilities. Said that they would have a state of the art athletics facility.. huh!

hmmm... it's the old one - Is a Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit isn't it!!

That one has been proved in a court of law. United Biscuits had to go to court against Customs & Excise to prove it's a cake, as cakes are not vatable but biscuits are. In the end the lawyer for UB brought in a massive jaffa cake, and offered round slices of it :huh:

T

Hi Simply Paul,

and your point is?

Dear Hungry Caterpillars,

My original comment was in reply to an earlier post, not your words.

As for the point, like many posts to this and other forums in general, there wasn't one beyond the facts that life is short, talk is cheap and when 'spoken' to like a child, I often become childish.

Thank you, and good evening. :unsure:

SP

Proud of what!! Athletics in this country is at such a low ebb we may not have a single decent shot at a medal by 2012 unless something radical is done to help sport and fitness back where it belongs in the school curriculum. And thats just for starters. RANT :o:unsure::o:o

What have we got to be proud of?????????

Are you blind??????????????

Atlanta:

1 Gold

4 silver

10 bronze

Sydney:

14 gold

18 silver

22 bronze

Athens:

17 gold

20 silver

15 bronze

Need i say more? (well i will)

We have many budding sports stars rising through the ranks eg:

Andrew Murray (Tennis - if you didnt watch Wimbledon)

Rooney

Terry Fordom (Hammer)

David Sail (Table Tennis)

Hannah Swail (Archery)

To name just 5.

Stop putting the sports men and women down. I garentee u will be watching in 7 years "cus your bored".

So next negotive statement i read and the post will be twice as long!

heck i'd be proud but just a couple of points,

it'll go way overbudget and we'll be paying for it for years....surely money better spent on health education etc. just seems obscene to spend it on two weeks of sport.

do we really need to spend so much on the thing anyway? wasn't it just a contest to see who can run etc the fastest? why all the expensive fanfare?

oh yeah and lets not forget the dome.....

wonder how much the eu would have paid to france if they had won and how much they'll give us.

lets just hope that i'm proved wrong and that it becomes something that generations will remember with pride. :D

And how many came in ATHLETICS. I am not talking sports played by a minority of rich countries like rowing. We are falling through the floor. We have the most unfit overweight children for generations. It is no use having a very few stars and no wide base. As for winning medals the Chinese are coming. And also as ever there is the problem of drugs and perhaps even genetic tampering. Writing twice as much is not going to change anything is it?

My original comment was olympics based, but the thought (ok, very tongue in cheek) that Geocaching may one day be a "sport."

I was glad when it opened out into the is it a sport, hobby or pastime, and I'd like to close it on the Mancunian Pyrocachers thought that it's a RASH....