Overt Actions

Examples of things that can be done to avoid suspicion while caching in specific situations.

Holding a small GPSr to your ear while walking down the street and pretending to talk on your "cell phone".

What have YOU done in a pinch when you have an unexpected muggle "audience"?

I draw suspicion just by getting out of bed in the morning.

I generally have a camera around my neck, which makes my caching back look like a camera bag. I keep the GPS in an outside pocket of the back when I am not looking at it.

I have told muggles that I was fossil hunting or mushroom hunting. I have also been known to carry a clipboard--you can go almost anywhere if you carry a clipboard.

My wife is a biology/botany teacher so this one is a natural for us. Carry a small notebook with "notes" about plant life and a few "samples" (dried and pressed) - also get a pocket field guide for plants - enhance with a camera and explain the GPS for marking the location of rare species. You can poke around anything and draw only minimal attention.

Clipboard idea is great also.

Cell phone trick works great too.

I also generally carry a camera and act like the GPS is a light meter. Just looking for that perfect angle for a shot.

Of course carrying the geocacher-U handout and telling the truth isn't a bad approach either.

Examples of things that can be done to avoid suspicion while caching in specific situations.

I just dress like a cop, complete with badge and gun. No one ever questions or bothers me. Well, except that one time when the lady ran up and told me her purse had just been snatched; that was a little distracting. She just wouldn't go away, so I pretended my GPSr was a 2 way radio and put out an "APB" on the thief. Told her to head back to the safety of her car and wait for me. Wonder how long she actually waited? :D

Ok, kidding aside, I usually try to avoid caches where I'll need to use some excuse. If there are muggles that close, it's either poor placement or a poor time to be doing the cache, so I often save those kind for after dark -- if I do them at all. I often use the GPS as a cell phone gag, the "just tying my shoes" act, or the "my daughter lost her necklace somewhere around here" excuse. Occasionally the "looking for a lost hubcap" bit works if you're hunting along a road. In a really sticky situation, if you see someone coming that looks like they're going to confront you, start walking away with your "cell phone" and just speak loudly "What do you mean she died? When? Just an hour ago? Ok, I'll be right there!" or "The house? Are the kids out? Call the fire department, I'm coming right home!". Then start running.

Or you can sit down, rock back and forth a little and drool on yourself while concentrating intently on any inanimate object nearby. For added affect make some unintelligible mumbling noises and put your finger up your nose. Most folks should then leave you alone, but if not mumble something about "going poopie". Sucess rate should be darn near 100% then. :D

Personally, I just take my 2 year old. No one suspects anything when you've got a kid in tow. You can hunt playgrounds, schoolyards, pretty much anything. Just act like you're teaching the kid about trees, bugs, dirt, whatever. Just don't lead the kid off into the woods alone, especially if you're an older man. People tend to get a little wiggy about stuff like that. :D

I generally have my kids with me. When we see where the cache is, we then talk about it a bit then one of the kids goes in for it and also puts it back as found (why we discuss it first). Most people do not pay much attention to kids. The kids also can crawl around and under things where I would be watched with eagle eyes if I did the crawling.

I'm usually so covert about my caching activities that very few people even see me. Those that do, and bother to ask what I'm doing, are likely to wish they didn't (I have a tendancy to go on...and on).

If I feel the need to avoid explanation, I usually just act irritated, busy and short on time. But usually, I'm Mr. Truth. :lol::lol:

Not to sound too "goody-two-shoes" but CITO is a great cover-up.  I have a trash bag in my hand while I'm poking through the bushes...makes perfect sense to any passerby.

I was just about to say that. Not too many people will question someone picking up trash. :(:lol:

Combine the CITO and orange vest and you have the ultimate cover-up: Compulsory Community Service! :lol:

Heres a good way to clear out muggles.

Walk around with your gps up in the air and as you get closer to the cache, say loudly "The radiation gets higher in this direction".

That probably works best if you have the yellow etrex! :yikes:

& get the clipboard and orange vest on for this one, or the hazmat guys WILL be coming. :laughing:

Not to sound too "goody-two-shoes" but CITO is a great cover-up.  I have a trash bag in my hand while I'm poking through the bushes...makes perfect sense to any passerby.

I was just about to say that. Not too many people will question someone picking up trash. :lol::lol:

Combine the CITO and orange vest and you have the ultimate cover-up: Compulsory Community Service! :laughing:

Actually, I have done that; but without the orange vest. Muggles will break off the conversation with you real fast. :yikes:

I was just about to say that. Not too many people will question someone picking up trash. :lol::laughing:

Combine the CITO and orange vest and you have the ultimate cover-up: Compulsory Community Service! :lol:

and if they still bother to ask you what you are doing...I say picking up trash and offer a bag..."would you like to help?" LOL that makes them run! :lol::yikes:

I have an orange vest that says "TNLNSL" in large, official-looking letters on the back. :anitongue:

Seriously. (I can put any custom-ordered verbiage on an orange vest for the right amount of $$.) :anitongue:

I could have used this vest yesterday. There I am, in a park with lots of people around, and I am staring at a tree! These guys walked by me twice and I'm still looking at the tree! I didn't find the cache, mostly because I was freaking myself out with all these people around, not because anybody said anything. I just couldn't search thoroughly and still look like I wasn't completely out of my mind.

I was simply looking for a few amusing anecdotes to fill this thread. I know some people do funny stuff sometimes and thought it would be fun to read. If you DON"T have an amusing anecdote or related story concerning impromptu subterfuge or diversion, then don't worry, there will be another thread along soon for you to post on.

Thanks.

Buh-Bye, now!

:P

I hid a cache this morning that is in a small park downtown near a huge fountain. There was a man sitting in the park when I got there, and I just acted like my sole reason for being there was to take pictures of the fountain. I took a few shots from one location, moved to another and took a few, moved to another and took a few (and placed the final), moved to another and took a few (and hid the first stage), etc., etc..... He kept checking me out the whole time. I'mo not sure why he was so interested in what I was doing, but he seemed to grow tired of it and left.

I think I may use this in the future. It offers a good excuse for going all over an area (to get cool angles for all my photos), and there has to be time for review. It worked out great.

Read the logs for this cache for some interesting techniques.

Quotes from the logs:

"Be prepared to feel awkward during this search!"

"...it was impossible to be discrete. My guess is that this one won't last long..."

"...rooting around at 5:30am with a flashlight, wondering if I would be busted."

"Got questioned by numerous employees and missed the law by only seconds."

"Glad that one is done!"

"Felt a little conspicuous so finally gave up."

"...then the guy pops his head out the drive-through window and says, "Can I help you?" Busted!!"

Yeah, that one would be at the top of my must-do list. :rolleyes:

I suppose if you love the adrenaline rush of getting caught while caching, this one's for you. Although the clipboard trick apparently fooled someone, my idea of avoiding suspicion on a cache like this is to simply add it to my Ignore list.