Maui Wowie Tb In The Hands Of Wchappel

allinfun

Gee, this really disgusts me. :( Wchappel of Silver Spring Maryland has been contacted multiple times by me so that I can find our when he intends to release the bug back into a cache. He has had it in his hands since January. At this point he has stated that I am harrassing him :) because I've contacted him multiple times just to have one simple question answered: what have you done with Maui Wowie? :o

How should one deal with such dishonest TB thieves? How can one have faith in the GC community when people like Wchappel are not isolated cases? Why can't there be official censure for registered GC.com uses who violate the ethics of caching?

Thank you for lettting me vent... ;)

How can one have faith in the GC community when people like Wchappel are not isolated cases? Why can't there be official censure for registered GC.com uses who violate the ethics of caching?

Because along the way you will also run into good nice people :) .

what would you do to the theives? send them emails? threathen to tell their mothers? ban them, and ask they not create new accounts? :o

Okay. So you asked them nicely and didn't hear anything.

I know. Figure out their real names, discover where they live, break into their house under cover of darkness and take it back. :)

Or, you know, accept that it's just a toy and get over it.

Bugs go missing all the time. Accept that and You'll be a much happier cacher.

I had surgery about a month ago which has kept me from caching. I had a couple TB's in my possession prior to the surgery. I made a special trip to a nearby cache prior to surgery in the pouring rain to drop them off so they wouldn't be out of circulation while I recovered.

While no one can argue that things come up, if you have TB's and are gonna be out of the caching loop for a while, take 10 minutes and drop em into a nearby 1/1 just out of courtesy.

Edited by WH

How many times is 'multiple times'? Twice? Every day since January?

I've mostly had luck reminding cachers that they still have my bug. One even made a special trip to put it out again.

Now, as penance, go rescue my bug that's been sitting in Geritol Rush since March. Or go rescue Furby For a Change from here: Lidicke utrpeni / Suffering of Lidice. Looks like a difficult cache. [:rolleyes:]

If there is any chance your e-mails have the same tone of voice that your original post does, then yes, you are possibly harassing them. Calling someone a travel bug thief in an open forum is uncalled for, so I respectfully request that you read the Forum Guidelines . I certainly hope your e-mails were a lot friendlier. You get more flies (or bugs in this case) with honey than you do with vinegar. Please also read Snoogans thread pinned at the top. And remember, even if you might go caching every week, not everyone does. I've seen profiles where they've been signed up for several years and still only have but 6 or 10 finds. Does this mean they can't play the game to its fullest? I think not. Once you send a Travel Bug out into the wild, you lose control of it. Some have come back after many months of missing, all kinds of things happen to it. January is a long to hold it, but please be polite when you are dealing with other cachers via e-mail. You haven't walked in their shoes yet.

The note on the bug's page isn't terribly friendly either. I'll reserve judgment unless the text of the e-mails is shared.

Wow yeah I have to agree, yes you are upset over the TB being in the hands of him so long, but personal attacks like you have made in your logs are a little over the lines. I can see why he might not want to deal with you.

I suggest you delete the last log on the TB, send him an e-mail telling him you are sorry you over-reacted and just try to start over and just ask him what his plans are for the TB in a nice and polite way.

I agree that the last log on your TB page steps way over the lines, and no wonder he wants to call the police. Announcing someone's full name and hometown is totally uncalled for. I agree the log should be deleted ASAP and you should tone down the anger a bit. It's just a toy that you sent out and hopefully you knew the risks of doing so. If something is that valuable to you, don't use is a travel bug. Don't sweat the small stuff, or the big stuff will really get you!

(Sometimes when you treat people like that, they won't want to do a darned thing for you ever again, so I'd kiss that TB goodbye, and move on.)

the note left was rather rude. If you have a personal issue with this cacher don't you think it best to contact them in a more civil tone rather than call them out in public. I think your intent was to make them look bad all you accomplished IMO is to make yourself look bad. Let it go for awhile. Delete the nasty gram and when you've calmed down try to email them with an apology for your behavior and ask them in a nice way to release it.

I also recommend taking your complaint off your profile page.

:o;):(

Geo-things to do:

1. Memorize this list.

2. Avoid contact with anything on that list.

3. Pick up travel bugs if I can help their goals, and do my best to move them along promptly, subject to life's twists and turns.

4. Write to the bug owner if I see a delay in being able to drop off their bug.

5. Have FUN finding geocaches and moving travel bugs.

6. Remind myself that it's just a game with tupperware, and toy animals attached to little metal tags.

I have sent several bugs out into the wild on my account, my husbands and our sons. Currently we only know where one of them is, and I'm not really concerned about the others. Every now and then I'll get log on one. I've had several 'go missing' as well.

My feeling is that once I attach that travel bug tag and place it in a cache that is no longer mine. I may set a goal for it but it's now community property and if it ever makes it back to me great, but if not that's fine too.

:):):)

Geo-things to do:

1. Memorize this list.

3. Pick up travel bugs if I can help their goals, and do my best to move them along promptly, subject to life's twists and turns.

6. Remind myself that it's just a game with tupperware, and toy animals attached to little metal tags.

I had been thinking that maybe this was her only TB, cause that can cause some angst if it is the only one that you are watching. :)

They said in the near future which may not be soon enough I guess. :) One of mine went missing and turned up 6 month or so later. :) Turns out the person did not log it out of the cache and proceeded to forget they had it. :) Thanks to the Cache owner who found it was logged out in the log book, looked up the name (they used their real name) and got me an address from the phone book. :) A friendly letter to them and it was back in play. :)

Geo-things to do:

1. Memorize this list.

I had been thinking that maybe this was her only TB, cause that can cause some angst if it is the only one that you are watching. :)

only 1 of 19!!!! hate to see what would happen if they all went missing at one time :)

Geo-things to do:

1. Memorize this list.

only 1 of 19!!!! hate to see what would happen if they all went missing at one time :)

:) we would feel the earth move.

Okay here's the deal since so many have asked good questions:

1. I have successfully contacted other cachers without rancor and have been able to resolve bug issues. If a bug goes missing from a cache, I do not hold it against anyone.

2. If a bug is held by a cacher for over 3 months, I send an email via GC.com or via their email addy inquiring if they can move the bug along or if they are not caching anymore, whether I can make some arrangement to have the bug sent back to me. I have mailed replacements or tags to kind geocachers who were willing to help the bug move along.

3. wchappel logged the bug pickup indicating that the bug is in his possession. He has not logged the drop. None of his logs indicate that he dropped this bug. He has his own travel bug to track his mileage so he does know how the travel bug thing works.

4. The only response from wchappel was an email to stop contacting him because it is harassment. I sent one last email letting him know that I would not contact him anymore, that I am an honorable person and would honor his request and finally that I wished his family health and happiness. His reply to this last email was to thank me for contacting him after he asked me not to contact him anymore because he could use this as evidence that I had continued to contact him. That's when I knew for sure it was a doomed cause from the start.

This is the first time that a bug of mine has gone missing in the hands of a geocacher who is actively caching without explanation. Barb's Bold Butterfly was picked up by a newbie cacher whose daughter loved the bug so much they took the tag off, kept the butterfly, and dropped the tag into a different cache without logging the pickup or drop. It took several months but with the help of a geocacher who found the tag, we got a picture of the bug moving instead of the butterfly.

It may be that all of my bugs will be singled out for killing or maybe one will travel for years. All I know is that one bad apple can ruin a barrel full. I know people who only put out "members only" caches because they believe such caches get handled better. It is too bad that the GC.com community cannot more effectively influence people to live up to the ideals of the activity as described in the guidelines.

You are in trouble if he wants to come after you since you have openly and personally attacked in in your profile and the TB page. If you have not done so, change them, or it might not matter, it might be too late. I can understand your position, because I am in a similar position, but I did not resort to attacking him online.

I hope this works out for you and it does not involve legal fees

That's when I knew for sure it was a doomed cause from the start.

Yeah, that happens. Let that sink in.

It is too bad that the GC.com community cannot more effectively influence people to live up to the ideals of the activity as described in the guidelines.

Yeah, that too. Imagine if you were Jeremy...... you couldn't drive out an' track 'em down either.

Now, do you need your "pound of flesh?" You're not getting justice here, granted. Do you really want to rend, tear and mutilate the area? This surely can't be about something worth a few dollars. Your pride can't be on the line..... noone would even have known except you two if you hadn't staged this show. Do you have a similar reaction in other areas of your life? Is this a pattern? Find something to be thankful for, maybe go find a cache too. Make a change within you. It'll be a lot more peaceful. Save the rage for something of real principle that you can do something about.

Careful venting (No names said) is ok. Fine no problem sometimes you just want to vent. Be careful and watch your own backside though. Don't do what he, she, it is accusing you of. (harassment)

For those people who are all lovey "make a change within yourself" :laughing:

When a person needs to vent this is counterproductive. Saying you are sorry for them is one thing. Trying to change their lives is another.

Be CAREFUL!!!! Vent in a more "Less Likely to get Sued" Manner.

A simple note saying that a cacher (no names) was rude to you and won't return/release your bug after you asked politely, is all you need to post. (lots of emoticons)

GeoCacher's are smart if they want to find out more or commiserate with you they will post or look up your TB's. No more needing to be said. But you still get to vent and inform those who want to know.

Jessemay from Team Rock-it

(waiting for the burns)