Which Pda Would You Go With?

YellowDogMo

I need some help figuring which PDA to go with. After reading the boards I know to just start out by going paperless caching.

With all the options out there which one should I go with?

Pocket PC or Palm system?

Is it worth the investment or should I go the cheaper route and snag one off ebay?

Which brand holds up?

I would mostly be using it for geocaching but loving techno stuff, I will wanna take the most advantage of it. I could also possible use it for work and when I am away for training were I can stay in touch with the wife thru email.

I wanna hear the good and bad!

I appreciate any input everyone has. I wanna research every options out there!

Thanks, :unsure:

YellowDogMo

The PPC units are pricey and not as rugged but far more technically able. I use a Dell Axim x3i and have used a friends x5. Both can do amazing things. I recently added a rubberized drop resistant/waterproof case for mine - nearly doubled the weight but protects the investment.

A lot of people like the small (and cheap) older Palm units. Easy to read in daylight conditions and cheap enough not to worry too much about losing it in a mud puddle. I have used the Palm M105 but it only has 2MB of memory and was a general disappointment to me but of course I compared it to the Dell.

I use a Dell Axim x50v (but I also have an x30 and an X5). I use them all of the time. I have an Aquapac case for extended outdoor use. It is waterproof and I can use the PDA through the bag (a membrane of sorts). I have an Otterbox for them, but it is a bit bulky and the Aquapac keeps the rain and dust out.

Battery life is a bit of a concern. I use the PPC when I am doing close in work or for general reference (since it has all my maps on). With the battery upgrades, it is much better.

I use a CF card GPS unit in the x50v. It keeps everything in one tidy package. I still have the SD slot for my memory card (maps) and it still fits in the Aquapac.

I can also put all my cache info on the PPC with GSAK. It makes tidy little HTML pages I can view on the PDA.

We just recently purchased a PPC (HP iPAQrz1715) and love it. Since we have a Windows based PC, and the PPC is also Windows based, it makes transferring any files between the two a real breeze (just drag and drop or copy and paste through Windows Explorer). I've never had a Palm, so I don't know what the procedure is to transfer files from PC to Palm (or vice versa).

(We also use GSAK to manage our PQs and GPXSonar to view it on our PDA. Both of those utilities are great additions for paperless caching!)

Good luck with your decision!

Edited to add: We also originally bought just for the paperless caching, but have really begun to utilize several of its features, most notably Outlook (calendar & email) and Pocket Word.

Edited by Evil Chicken

I have the dell axim X5 and love it. the pocket query mobipocket reader files are great and have eliminated my need to make reams of copies and carry the paperwork all over the place. I recently convinced my brother to get the premium membership so that he can get the same files for his palm and he loves it. I will never go back to paper again. I agree with the others that you need something to protect your device while on the hunt. good luck. :unsure:

I have Zire 31 (16)GMG Color screen and you can not read it outside in the bright sunlight. (I use it inside for Outlook and etc)

So I get a used Zire M150 (2MG and USB ($25))off of E-Bay for caching. Get CacheMate ($8) for the palm and you should be using GSAK ($20) for managing your PQ and files on your home computer.

Mobireader is not a program to use to mange PQ on your Palm

Palm's new Lifedrive is a PDA that has finally caught up with the pocket PC world.

Either way Palm, or Pocket PC you can go paperless. Let real life make up your mind for you. What else will you use it for? If it's only geocaching that's the eBay route and a cheap Palm based PDA. If it's real life that could be either route.

I have a Palm IIIxi, Dell Axim X5 and a IPAQ 3850. I use the X5 for caching it has a 3800 ampHr battery so it will go 14+ battery live. It is a rugged case so it fairs fairly well. I got the Palm to see what it would be like but it is a real PAIN to use as you have to use 3 or 4 programs to get the data into it. With the PPC you just drag and drop. I use GPSView and GPSSonic on my PPC it is so easy compared to the Palm units.

cheers

U se a PalmVX. First handheld, works great, cheap, 8MB memory...

Perfect for caching, and that's all I use it for. I put a couple games, and etc.. but hey, that's for long trips or something.

I think it's

1. As basic as PC vs MAC. Both of the latest models have about the same stuff, only are totally incompatible. Palm stuff won't run on a PPC, and vice versa. I have heard there are Palm emulators for the PPC.

2. Simply the way which you plan on using it. Strictly for caching, i'd go with a cheap Palm, black and white, 8MB, you can read it, and if you drop it off a cliff it's only $50 tops. PPC.. they will empty your wallet, I didn't find any deals under $100 when I was shopping. When I looked for a cheap Palm, I found some as little as $25

I have a Zire 72 that I picked up off E-Bay brand new out of Florida for about $100 cheaper than I could have in Canada. It has camera, video, and audio capability and is pretty rugged. I use it at work, I'm a firefighter, and it has stood up to everything I've put it through. Although I'm REALLY carefull not to get it wet!

Software makes transfering files a breeze between my handheld and my PC. Take a look at some pics taken with it at Travel Bug tag #479340.

I haven't tried any others so I can't speak to which is better.

Palm's new Lifedrive is a PDA that has finally caught up with the pocket PC world.

Although I love my Palms, I'd be hesitant to recommend the LifeDrive. There are too many points to get into but time lag due to memory caching is my major concern with this device, and possibly battery life and the fact that it is a non-swappable internal unit.

GeoBC

hey, EC, i'm interested in that snazzy gizmo ya' got there. i like what you said about easy use with windows, and i looked around at it and saw that there's an interface cable right to garmin products available(allows both to run on car battery power too.) did you find a really great deal you'd like to tell the class about?

-yes, it's me

p.s. there are quite a few "factory refurbished" units out there. anyone have any experience with these?

hey, EC, i'm interested in that snazzy gizmo ya' got there. i like what you said about easy use with windows

FWIW, I don't think the fact that Pocket PC's are using a variant of Windows confers upon them any advantage when being used with a Windows OS on your desktop computer. Originally, neither Palm nor WinCE (the first incarnation of the Windows PDA OS) could open native Office files. They had to be converted into a format that the PDA could understand. Nowadays, both Palm and Pocket PC (the latest name for the Windows PDA products) can read native Office file w/o any conversion process.

You can plug your Palm T5 into your computer via a USB cable and it shows up as a removable storage device, making file xfer a snap. In fact, I do that with my T3. Cachemate, however, requires a conversion process to be done where as some versions of similar s/w on the Pocket PCs do not. OTOH, if you're already massaging your data with something like GSAK it's not an issue, anyway. Personally, I am fine with Hotsyncing to get the majority of my files xferred and synchronized because it means that my data backups are always very up-to-date.

The current Pocket PC devices have better hardware specs but depending on your uses, Palm may be a better choice. It really depends on what you want to do with it. I would definitely look at a Pocket PC PDA when it comes time to upgrade from my T3 but until then, I wouldn't say one OS is better than the other. Also consider the huge volume of Palm software.

But my main point is that if you are a Windows desktop user, that doesn't mean it is an advantage to use a Windows-variant PDA.

GeoBC

thanks, bc, i'm happy for any input on this topic. i don't really know anything about pda's, but i'm getting more interested in the idea of paperless caching every day. i don't need lots of bells and whistles, i'd probably use it mainly for caching, although a unit that allows me to write in "word" would be pretty useful for work purposes. i'd especially like something with as simple cache downloading as possible, as i only use "easygps" right now, and i am decidedly NOT the most tech savvy kid on this block! :unsure:

I purchased the Palm Tungsten E almost a year ago. I wanted it for geocaching and for maps. I have yet to find a good map program for the unit and have given up trying. It works well for paperless geocaching with two objections - 1. Battery life is short - won't last all day. There is no way to change batteries. 2. A complete screen washout in sunlight. I've learned to adjust and cope with these issues but if I should ever purchase another PDA I'll be looking more closely at what it really offers. Like I said, it does work well for paperless geocaching and at the time the price was right.

My Palm M500 works perfectly for caching. It is very easy to see in bright sunlight and the real plus to me is that is uses Cachemate which only runs on the Palm OS.

Although I already had my Palm, this model can be purchased on eBay for about $50.00 or so.

I have a hard metal case for it which has protected it the couple of times I dropped it.

In the 2 1/2 years I have had my Palm, I've never had the battery die on me. It recharges every time I put it in the cradle to transfer information to it from GSAK.

I had an IPAQ 3670 before starting with Geocaching. Then added a dual CF slot sleeve (with extra battery) for a future memory card and GPS unit. Started out using a network card around the house but prefer the desktop for network access.

Picked up a GPS unit for flying, driving, etc. So, I was pretty much set when my brother exposed me to Geocaching. Just added some software, Mapopolis, GPX Sonar, and GPS Tuner (finally had to buy that 1 Gig memory card).

It does not like being out in the rain. However, a good ziplock bag will take care of that problem.

It doesn't much matter which capable unit you pick. Just get one. If that doesn't work as well as you want then move up and sell your initial unit.

It is like sailing. You start with the 27' then move to the 30'. Reallize that 36' is what you need and finally move on up to 42' or bigger. Some folks jump right from the 27' to the 42'. Others start with the 42' and move up from there.

Probably better to ask about which units don't work well.

As for my unit, it has been called an "antique". It will not upgrade past PPC 2002 (which makes the newer version of GPX Sonar unusable to me). Someday I will upgrade.

Hey, d7!!

If you make it to either this event or this one, I'd be happy to let ya have a look at it. We have had no problem seeing the screen in bright daylight either.

Like I said, it is very simple to use and we have been integrating it more and more into our daily life (Word, email, calendar, the calculator, a few pictures) Haven't had to use Excel and haven't d/ld any mp3s into it, tho. Also have not invested in any additional software for it.

We bit the bullet and bought ours at Staples - it was about $250.00. At the time, Staples had a rebate for a free 128 MB memory card (not much, but hey, it's free!) by mail.

When we went to purchase a PDA, we originally we're planning to buy a $79.00 Palm strictly for caching. The salesguy tried to talk us into a PPC, mentioning it's ease of use, etc. So, we left without making a purchase. But after doing a little more research and reading, we thought that he might just be right and decided to spend the extra money. We also bought an 2 yr. extended warranty on it for $80.00. If the screen gets punctured once or it gets wet, it will pay for itself (and with 3 kids, that could easily happen!)

Thanks for all the info everyone! I would be wanting to get a unit that I can apply to more the just caching. Probably a wise choice for me to play with some different models that friends have.

KG, thanks for bring up something I didn't think of, which models to stay away from.

You guys all rock, thanks again!

YellowDogMo

Well I am new to geocaching i currently own a iPAQ 4705 "same as 4700" and i figured i would use it for geocaching b/c i currently use it for work and personal use and its fast and powerfull, It runs ppc 2003 and i love it, I ordered my pocket pc through hpshopping.com b/c they have a 1 year no payment deal going.

I ordered this gps here so its on backorder, http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/,

for more information on the ipaq 4705 go here http://davesipaq.com/ or a direct link to the forum http://davesipaq.com/forum

here you will find more resources about many pocket pc's,

I love using my 4705, huge display, and great software, I play pool on it :D "Virtual Pool Mobile" its great b/c the screen tilts sideways both ways and great internet browsing with netfront browser.

i'll be ordering this for when i go outside so i dont mess up my pocket pc

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2...roduct_Count=18

I spent a lot of money on what i bought with the accessories i spent $987 dollars on everything, And i will use it more then just contacts and calendar. :D:anibad: i got it mostly for work but i'm going to be a geocacher and i figured why not i'll just use this and buy the waterproof drop proof case to protect it, unless something sharp hits the middle of the screen and pierces the ppc. :P then i'm screwed hehehe but I love my iPAQ 4705 and i think you should read some posts on the forums, you might even find a better one you like, I also love the built in wifi and bluetooth no need to use up my cf slot, so that leaves room for something else :D i figure after my gps unit comes in and i can find out some good safety things to keep in my backpack i will become a premium member b/c i love coming here reading posts and seeing how friendly and almost family like everyone is and so so so helpfull, Love it, but heres my 2 cents :D

It is nice that you have that kind of money to spend to go out Geocaching, but a $50.00 Palm M500 and a $130.00 Garmin eTrex Legend will work just as well for Geocaching.

Personally, I would rather go with an inexpensive Palm and use any extra money for gas to get to those remote, must-be-found, really fun caches.

JMHO . . .

It is nice that you have that kind of money to spend to go out Geocaching, but a $50.00 Palm M500 and a $130.00 Garmin eTrex Legend will work just as well for Geocaching.

Personally, I would rather go with an inexpensive Palm and use any extra money for gas to get to those remote, must-be-found, really fun caches.

JMHO . . .

oh yea thats definately the expensive way to go :D but i figure i already have some of the most important parts of my supplies :D why not use it, if i was just starting out and didnt already have this one i would buy the cheaper one with a good gps unit :anibad: but i already have this one so i'm going to use it. :P

thanks, ec, i may stop by the camp just to say hi. i'm actually looking at your new toy on ebay. i'm sooooo tired of wasting paper. i don't even print out findlogs, normally, just to cut the waste (and carrying) down to a minimum, but you know how THAT goes--sometimes you really wish you had those little hints in the logs!! :anibad:

Having a "Past Log" in Cachemate on my Palm M500 enabled me to find a cleverly hidden cache in a park.

The container was something I had never seen before, and the height of the container made me think it had been replaced by someone other than the cache hider who had written the hint, which made no sense anymore, unless ducks are three feet tall in that park.