What To Do When Someone Else Is At A Cache

alma

can anyone tell me if im going to do a cache and someone else is there what is the proper etiquete

do i let them do the cache on there own can i walk up and join in with them or do i just walk by and come back later or what do i do

any suggestions

alma

I've been "caught in the act" three or four times - twice recently by the same cacher - and was very pleased to meet them. As I had the box in my hands on these recent occasions I suggested he moved off a bit while I rehid it so he could find for himself. If not found we turned it into a joint hunt. That happened a year or two ago when two of us met accidentally fifteen miles from home and we only love less than a mile apart - and it took the two of us nigh on an hour to find it.

Either way it is fun meeting others and comparing notes.

;) We have bumped into other cachers at cache sites a few times now and from our point of view, if you are sure that it is a cacher that you are looking at, then go right up to them! We always love it when you bump into someone when out on the hunt, and at the end of the day, you are going to find the cache anyway-so brazen it out and go and say Hi :o !

I always say hello and introduce myself. Not often that we meet another cacher so it would be a shame to let the opportunity pass.

However the question is, what to do when you are waiting for a cache area to clear and you don't think they are cachers. Today I found a long line of wood ants that I spent ages 'studying' until the muggles thought I was an expert and started asking questions!

Meeting a cacher is quite a rare event so introductions are in order and finding the cache the imperative. The finder gets the first look at the cache and writing the log with the other cacher in at the "KILL". What is the point of looking the other way... The best cache finds I have had are with others in attendance.

Andy.

Walk up to them and say "Excuse me, just what the hell are you doing to my dry stone wall??" Wait for the spluttered excuses of hi-tech teasurehunting, etc, etc. Then whip out your superduper all singing all dancing GPSr... ahhhhhh fooled you. <_<

Although, most of the people we bump into, we usually know. we`ll have to wear disguises at the next meet :ph34r:

Pengy

Happened to me recently, I had walked away form the cache to fill out the log, container was in my bag. Getting ready to replace it I had to wait for a couple of dog-walkers to pass, so I made a phone call to a friend. Before I could replace it another cacher walked past me (I spotted the yellow etrex) heading towards the hiding spot.

I told him he was probably looking for what was in my bag... the cache itself. Had a good chat with them while they filled out the logbook.

This was the first time I had met a cacher while out, and it was at my 50th find.

Matt

Was at a cache site a few weeks ago, and another 3 people came up, GPS in hand.... we had a chat.... then a few minutes later ANOTHER cacher came along.

We all discussed where the cache might be, noone found it, the 3 went on for a walk, so me & t'other kept looking. As we left, the three returned, and subsequently FOUND the cache! Grrr!

But it is always great to meet other cachers... and others have said, I've never heard of anyone getting an adverse reaction from another cacher.

So, make yourself known!

Paul

I found my first cache in a wood I use regularly. Not being quite sure what I expected to find, I unearthed the tupperware box containing amongst other things, quite a nifty little notebook. I decided to take this, and duly left something in return. Upon arriving home I examined the little book more closely, and to my horror realised that I had taken the log book. Feeling very guilty indeed, I returned quickly to the cache site to replace the book , only to find a couple sat on the ground with the tupperware box open in front of them. I greeted them with "Hi!, are you looking for this"?. They were really kind about it, and we spent five minutes or so having an enjoyable crack before going on our respective ways. This was the only time I've met another cacher. - Jack

Upon arriving home I examined the little book more closely, and to my horror realised that I had taken the log book. Feeling very guilty indeed, I returned quickly to the cache site to replace the book , only to find a couple sat on the ground with the tupperware box open in front of them.

That is such a bizarre story. I doubt that anybody else has accidentally taken the log book.

I 've closed a few caches in my time and then found the log book still on the ground!

Look for the signs that they are a chacher (GPS in hand or Cache page sheets)

Are you a Geocacher is an easy one to use, then if they are not, no worries.

I have met a few now, but the best was in France. We were at a cache, logging the find when a Guy stood a few feet away, place his gps on the bridge (Middle of Paris) and got his printed sheets out of the cache.

What do you do?? We don't speak much french for starters. We said hello in french anyway and showed him that we had the cache, he turned out to be german. Go Figure. :huh:

Turns out that we were also observed by a French cacher who took the "Come back later" approched and didn't say hi, but mentioned it in his log.

:huh: Only happened to me once so far,

we were up on frodsham hill doing the second in the rainbow series in cheshire when we bumped into some fellow cachers ( kitebuggyboy) on the path,

after observing them for a minute whilst walking towards them we decided to speak to them and it was lucky we did, because they had just found out that the coords posted in the previous cache were out and had just entered the new ones from a quick phone home.

Armed with the new coords our combined efforts quickly found the cache and we went our seperate ways, satisfied. :D

if we hadn't spoken to them then we would have posted a DNF as we also had the wrong coords and would not have completed the rest of the series that day,

so don't be shy!!!! :huh::huh:

be bold!!! :huh::lol:

bargee

Hi

I'm very new to Geocaching but did have an incident few wks back of nearly stumbling on a fellow cacher. They pulled up into the church carpark, seconds before us, so we stayed seated in the car. We watched them get out and then saw the cache printout in their hands. We left them to it and went onto another cache. Though I think now in hindsight, Id like to have had a chat with them. I dare say on our future caches we will bump into others, and maybe next time not be so shy

Sandabella