Puzzle Cache Etiquette

QDman

OK, my buddy and I are going to hit some caches on Thursday. It's Cesar Chavez Day and city employees get the day off. We think Cesar Chavez would have wanted us to go geocaching. :laughing:

Anyway, I've solved a few puzzle caches, but haven't gone to the actual cache sites yet. I'm hesitant to go on Thursday, because then he (my friend, not Cesar Chavez) will find the caches w/o solving the puzzles. What do you think? Do we do non-puzzle caches Thursday, and I'll save the puzzles for later? Or am I over-thinking this?

I'd ask your buddy - if he wants to do the puzzle himself, let him do so. If you find it together once it is solved, great - if you both hit it on separate days, great! Of course, he may not be ready in time if he wants to solve the puzzle, so perhaps another cache mightbe better if he wants to figure it out.

Alternatively, he could just tag along for the ride, not caring one way or the other (if he is not an active geocacher or whatnot)

Some people frown on this, especially with some of the more difficult caches. My opinion: its just another cache. You found the cache, why not log it? It goes back to the discussion about beta testing a cache when its hidden. Are you really gonna go back out there to find the cache again after its posted and somebody FTFs it? Not likely. Besides, this game is about teamwork in many cases. So the person didn't solve the puzzle, but they helped search for the cache. Thats worthy of a reward in my book.

Some people frown on this, especially with some of the more difficult caches. My opinion: its just another cache. You found the cache, why not log it? It goes back to the discussion about beta testing a cache when its hidden. Are you really gonna go back out there to find the cache again after its posted and somebody FTFs it? Not likely. Besides, this game is about teamwork in many cases. So the person didn't solve the puzzle, but they helped search for the cache. Thats worthy of a reward in my book.

Last year I went for a 5-star puzzle cache on my own. I'd worked out the puzzle (it was *very* hard) several months in advance. When I got to the site, I found that the puzzle wasn't the only reason for the 5-star rating; there were more puzzles to solve, and the hide was hard. I ended up phoning a friend for advice. I very much wish I'd taken several people with me, even if it would have meant sharing my knowledge of the initial puzzle.

Personally I have no problem with non-solvers tagging along and finding puzzle caches. I have been with non-solvers on finding a puzzle cache, and I have had my puzzle caches found by non-solvers. I have yet to *be* a non-solver that logs a find, but I don't doubt that that day will someday come.

In general, when we go hit a puzzle cache we all try to solve it before we get there. Sometimes we drop hints until the last person gets it.

In my neighborhood, it is common practice for FTF hounds to use a team approach to solve puzzle caches. One person does the desk work while one or more do the road work.

I don't think this is quite "sporting"--especially as a way to bag a FTF--but it seems to be accepted.

I was a bit peeved when one of my mystery caches was found in a similar way. A cacher who had found it the regular way (by solving the puzzle) was out caching with another cacher who had not found it yet, so while they were in the area they "dropped by". I considered deleting that find, but then it occuredto me that he did find the cache, just by using an alternative solution. In the end, its not worth stressing over. If he's happy with the find, than so am I. Really, I think he missed the most fun part.

As far as people working together I think that is just fine. Why not? If you're there to sign the log, its a find, right?

Actually, I know of some difficult puzzles that took team work to solve. Just having two cachers bouncing ideas off one another may lead to a solution. Even if one person solved the the puzzle, I agree with ShowStop that bringing along a friend to help search for the actual cache shouldn't negate that person's ability to log a find.

Nope!

Save 'em for another day!

I and my bro-in-law cache together a lot, since we share the same GPSr unit.

On a rare occasion that I got to go it alone, I ended up doing a puzzle/multi cache.

After logging my find, I went back in and reset the leg waypoint co-ords in the GPSr to N00°00.000 W00°000.

So now this way, when he decides to attempt it, he will have to "experience" it first hand.

There have been times when he's went without me, and then later when we went together, he would take me back to the spot where the cache was hidden and let me log a find.

Even though I still had to look for the caches once on the spot, it lost some of it's enjoyment by not have to go through the whole "experience" of starting from scratch.

I guess, I'm just an "experience" junkie! :unsure:

Me and him go about Geocaching on different levels.

He is in it for the finds.

I like the whole package. The trip, the area, the hunt & the find.

Actually, it will be nice when I get my own GPSr, so I won't have to be dependant on his to enjoy my new found hobbie/sport/adventure. :(

Fingers crossed!!! Wifey has been hinting about a "special" gift for Father's Day!!

D-man :rolleyes:

I have no problem with it. On a related note: There are a bunch of local cachers who 'brute force' puzzle solutions by guessing or estimating the final location using methods not thought of by the puzzle cache hider. I think all these methods are fair game.

--Marky

I think that it's okay to take someone with you, but don't call your friends and give them the solutions.

I have a bonus cache that you have to find 12 others first to get the cords for the last one. The first person that found it helped other people find it, but they had found the other 12 caches, too, so I didn't mind.

I have no problem with it. On a related note: There are a bunch of local cachers who 'brute force' puzzle solutions by guessing or estimating the final location using methods not thought of by the puzzle cache hider. I think all these methods are fair game.

--Marky

I will work 5 times harder at brute force methods than it would take me to solve the puzzle as intended.

Back on topic: The puzzle is just that a puzzle. A good one can only be solved one way and brute force won't work. However a large part of this game is teamwork and so that's fair. In my caching group I'm the one normally delegated the puzzles to solve. That's fine, I raid my partners cache bag if I want to trade for something every now and then. In the long run it all balances out, just maybe not the way you would think.

Bringing your friend is fine. I'm sure you will make him pay by having him climb the tree, or wade the creek next time. :rolleyes:

The person I usually cache with lets me solve the hard one and then we do the find together. There is NO prolbem there and no way to prevent it any way. If you work with someone then your a TEAM. O'well play the game you want. Thought one puzzle cache I did with a friend he makd me do the puzzle as it took some leg work and he wanted me to enjoy the thrill, thanks, but it was fun and besides I wanted to do it any way before we went for the find.

cheers

This weekend a group of cachers is having a get-together for the express purpose of solving a few of the my yet-unsolved puzzle caches. As the cache hider, I think it's great -- pizza and beverages, and spending part of the evening with a group of great caching folks!

It's all about having fun!

This weekend a group of cachers is having a get-together for the express purpose of solving a few of the my yet-unsolved puzzle caches. As the cache hider, I think it's great -- pizza and beverages, and spending part of the evening with a group of great caching folks!

It's all about having fun!

We had one of these puzzle parties (or rather, I participated in one, it wasn't mine) and it was just a blast. The guy who hosted it had WIFI and there were many laptops and printouts strewn about the house. Lots of good food too. Good times! I hope we have another some day.

--Marky

Puzzle caches work like this:

You solve the puzzle, then go find the cache.

It's not that hard

Now if you haven't solved the puzzle and you find the cache, before you log it as a find you have to do some soul-searching. If your soul thinks it's a legit find....

your soul is a weenie :ph34r:

Have a local cacher that went straight to the final stop of a 5-stage multi . . . the location was a most likely spot & was confirmed by the short hint for this last stage. He logged the find without going through the stages . . . an alternative way to cache?

Can this be applied to puzzle caches, as well - going with a friend who is good at solving to find the puzzle cache . . .is it just an alternative way to find the cache? Do we consider the owners intention as a reasonable consideration?

Have a local cacher that went straight to the final stop of a 5-stage multi . . . the location was a most likely spot & was confirmed by the short hint for this last stage. He logged the find without going through the stages . . . an alternative way to cache?

Can this be applied to puzzle caches, as well - going with a friend who is good at solving to find the puzzle cache . . .is it just an alternative way to find the cache? Do we consider the owners intention as a reasonable consideration?

This is called "shorting a multi", and is considered fair game by many cachers.

If a person who tags along with another person who solved a puzzle wants to sign the log at the cache, they should note on the log that they haven't solved the puzzle yet and will log the find on the web when/if they solve the puzzle. That way, they just did the steps in the wrong order, but still did all the work. Such a person should try to stay unaware of the final coordinates and shouldn't let their friend tell them how to solve the puzzle.

OP: I agree with the others, if your friend wants to tag along to help find the cache, I don't see a problem with it. Really, in this case, the only concern is spoiling it for him.

On the other hand, a previous finder simply giving the answer to a non-solver I would frown upon.

As for the "shorting a multi" or brute-strengthing a puzzle, it's no different than finding one accidently--it's all good. If someone complains that folks are shorting their multi or guessing the answers to puzzles, I'd just shrug and say to make them better thought out.