Man this *S*U*X* !!! Big Time!!!

The culprit(s) need to found an given a little

box.gif

couto.gif

shakko.gif

stone.gif

smiley_hammer_bash.gif

Take your pick!

You really wonder what gets in people's head that makes them want to do stuff like this.

Instead of getting enjoyment out of hunting and finding the hides, they put forth all that time and energy to find them and then destroy them.

It seems that almost all of them were done in one day, so you know it was a long process of finding all the caches at an earlier time then going back in one fell swoop on one day and doing the deed.

Too bad all that time and energy wasn't spent on something more constructive!!

Makes you just want to shake your head and wonder some days. :lol:

D-man :lol:

Edited by gridlox
maybe theres more going on than meets the eye. thread

maybe its like a cult or something?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry, don't see the connection. M&P are in CO, the OP's thread you linked to is in CA. :huh:

Go to one of Pa's caches and search for all local caches. I cruised back about 5 pages and there are several on each page that are MIA/Archived. Sounds like those Colorado cachers need to round up the posse and head out....Would that be anther kind of cache hunt? Similar to a witch hunt? :lol:

TOCT...Took Out Cache Thief

Reading this is incredibly dissapointing! I pity the type of folks who would do something like this. Something is terribly amiss in their lives. Oh, the angst.

It may be judicious to keep an eye on an area's caches. Once a trend develops, it may be time to convert caches to members only caches.

At least this way if some malicious folks out there want to destroy caches, they at least have to pay and support the web site to satiate their sick cravings. :lol:

I assume that this possibility has already been brought up in other threads dealing with vandalism. I know that Jeremy does not want to dissuade the non-paying GC community from hiding and seeking caches, (which is very admirable) but if the practice of trashing caches gets out of hand, it seems that the only logical (and regrettable) solution would be to make this a pay only site.

I hope that this does not have to happen.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Trinity's Crew

The state of Indiana has new DNR regulations that greatly reduce the amount of caches in our state parks and forests. They even now require us to apply for permits.

In a case in Charlestown State Park in southern IN. The local ranger has removed all of the caches.

This link is to the Midwest forum "A sad day in Charlestown ...". maybe there is new state legislation in your state too.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=92966

IMHO

David

DnrDmr

The state of Indiana has new DNR regulations that greatly reduce the amount of caches in our state parks and forests. They even now require us to apply for permits.

That wouldn't cover these caches. These were hidden all over the central/south Denver area, by bike paths, city parks, etc. The only restictions that I know of is in Jeffco open space areas and they only require a permit for the cache.

I think there are some jerks that are trying to ruin everyones fun. :lol:

It is really unfortunate that this is happening. In doing a search of the nearest caches, 28 out of 100 caches are either temporarily disabled or archived. I made a trip to the Denver area in October and was lucky enough to do a few of M&P's caches and they were excellent caches. One can hope that eventually whoever is doing the muggling will get tired and move on.

I feel very fortunate to be one of the last to do a M&P cache. I always enjoyed the hides. They were always creative and when a new one poped up I would leave the house extra early to give myself alot of extra time to hunt. None of them were quick drive up and grabs even though you could park almost on top of some and not even know it. When I saw what happened I didn't now weather to :D or :D

This is a sad situation, indeed. Obviously, the culprit(s) is someone who owns a GPSr and knows how to use it...possibly a disgruntled local cacher? Maybe the local cachers who have been vandalized will pool together and get 1 of those game tracker cameras, the kind that you mount in a tree and are motion activated. If they can get a picture of the scumbag, maybe they can post it and pass it around and see if anyone recognizes him/her/they.

This isn't new, I am in the Denver area, thought it is the first time anything like this has happen in the Denver area. Since I started geocaching last May I have ready many threads of this nature and all's I could think is "Thank God that isn't happening in my area." Well no it is the same weekend M&P to hit we found two other cache remains with the same MO of destruction in close proximity. They were hard caches to do to boot. There is another cache as well that has gone missing at the end of a long hike.

So it happens I guess, it is sad M&P are nice folks and they put a lot of work into there caches. But they are okay and moving on. So we will wait and let this go by us as the folks doing it get bored and find some other amusement.

cheers

Unfortunately, it happens everywhere. We had all three (at that time) of our caches muggled just after we helped form a local geocaching group. :) (After we had totally re-stocked them, too) One container was left with dirt and rocks in it, the other two were gone.

We decided not to let it get us down though. Instead, we changed the caches to log-only micros and let it ride. At some point, we may go back and put bigger caches back in those areas, since none of our caches have been bothered since.