Simply Paul On Tv Again

The Wombles

Building up his 15 minutes of fame in 3 minute increments, Simply Paul will be appearing on BBC Points West this Friday (18th Feb). Paul kindly agreed to help out with the filming which took place today around the Bristol/Bath /Swindon area.

Filming was done at two caches near Bath and then the BBC placed their own cache in a park near Swindon.

If all goes to plan (and schedules don't change) then the article should appear in Points West which starts at 6.30pm on Friday. Apparently this should be on Sky channel 956 but 956 isn't listed on my receiver tonight (?).

My thanks go to Dave for setting this up - It's his cache we set with the BBC and his 3 minutes of fame, as far as I'm concerned. For reasons beyond his control he needed some help and I was more than happy to play the part of a Geocaching 'expert', lol! I had a really good day out with Dave (very nice to meet him at last - top bloke) plus Steve (reporter/presenter) and Ross (camera dude) and hope I can get my hands on a copy of the broadcast too.

That's 6 minutes of fame then. Where am I going to get the last 9 from, and does it need to be in 3 minute chunks? :mad:

SP

If all goes to plan (and schedules don't change) then the article should appear in Points West which starts at 6.30pm on Friday. Apparently this should be on Sky channel 956 but 956 isn't listed on my receiver tonight (?).

The article is scheduled for tomorrow at 6.30pm.

Apparently once you have set your local BBC region as your "basic" BBC1, then that channel is deleted out of the regional channel list. Hence because I've got BBC West as my basic BBC1, channel 956 isn't listed. However, it should be available to everyone outside the West.

I get 'BBC South Today', so whoever sees it is one up on me. I've been promised a tape by the Beeb, but the very nice Cryptik Souls Crew is going to do me a DVD - A public 'Thank You' to Michael. Cheers mate. :mad:

Simply 'Pink Thing' Paul

P.S. Was it any good? Any worthwhile catch-phrases this time?

Edited by Simply Paul

When it comes to the Anorak/Jumper joke, I've learned it's important to leave them wanting more. :mad:

Good to know it wasn't dull, and we did talk about geocaching.com a couple of times but I guess it just got cut out. I'm told (by Steve, the BBC guy caching with me) that these features are usually sub 2 minutes. 1:45, something like that. Does anyone have a length for it? Anything over 3 minutes would mean the BBC Points West folks got right behind it.

SP

I think the wall was well past its prime, and the 'real' hide wasn't in it...

Not sure what the viewing figures of either show are, but 6.30 on a Friday night is fairly prime-time. I suppose we'll just need to sit back and see what the hit-rates on the UK sites are like. Dave (King Womble) made sure links to all the relevant sites made it onto the BBC one.

I've spotted a link to a .ram video of the show on this page:

BBC Points West Treasure Hunt. Top right corner, by a tiny camera icon. With my 56k connection it's a bit rubbish, but I get the general gist. In my head I sound like Hugh Grant. In reality I'm Mr Bean. :mad:

Since this was your baby Dave, what did you make of it?

SP

P.S. Still waiting for the call from Parky.

Edited by Simply Paul

Since this was your baby Dave, what did you make of it?

Absolutely excellent, Paul, well done on your excellent performance (even if it did take a few takes :mad: ). Paul really is a perfectionist and he made the whole thing possible by driving helfway across the country.

Including the lead-in, the article lasted nearly 5 minutes which is amazing since they doubted if they could get 3 minutes from the Producer. The presenter from the BBC said that their office was really into it and he was asking where he could buy a GPS......

Well managed to grab the TV for a few minutes during a Ken shot Den break!! :mad::mad:

Right quick wizz through my recording, I'm shocked!! This channel 996 is well dodgy. I've never seen AAs in one of those!!! what is she going to do with that banana? Oh, OK just a micro :D:D

Must say, are all SP logs collectors items now, great bit of TV :D:(

Did have an e-mail exchange with a newbie who had real problems finding their first cache and I quote "the bloke on the TV made it look so much easier" :D:D

Great what your doing for the "sport" SP

Regards

Nick

Anyone else have problems finding the cache page when inputting the co-ords quoted? I keep getting

""Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow". I've found the page now.

Great bit of footage Paul, you are an excellent ambassador.

Bob S

Problem solved. The system can't cope with EXACT co-ords, changing last digit in either lat or long and it comes right.

Edited by Bob Smith
Well done Paul (and Dave) and thanks to Cryptik Souls Crew for the clip

That should read 'well done Dave (and Paul)' - I really was a just a stand-in.

My thanks to the CSC too - although the small version stops halfway through on my PC, before we hide the final cache. It's also rather squashed up and the sound is out of sync, but perhaps that's just me/my .wmv player?

I also have to heap praise on Steve Knibbs and Ross the Camera who helped put me at my ease and didn't mind when I needed to halt filming to go and fart in the bushes. What I've seen of the video clip looked great (Ross' flair for the Dutch Tilt and other artistic techniques as well as Steve's skill as an editor coming to the fore) and I'm sure it'll do a lot to raise the profile of Geocaching in the west, and the UK generally.

A few pictures from the day:

gang.jpg

Dave, Steve & Ross getting ready at the start of the day.

ross.jpg

Ross makes a wild track, or something. All very technical.

editing.jpg

Steve checks his tapes. He seemed pleased.

SP

Edited by Simply Paul

Good to see some hard liquor in the editing suite :huh::o:o

Now Paul two points for your next TV appearance;

1. More Comedy please - 'It's not an anorak' is surely a catch-phrase now?

2. More Benny Hill style walking is required. Preferably whilst being chased by bikini clad ladies in future too!

Great work mate and good stuff from BBC allowing us to Sky other regions BBC channels :D

Edited by The Hokesters

Hi,

I just thought I'd bump this to the top to let you know that we're revisiting the BBC cache again on Points West tonight on BBC1 at 6.30pm We're doing an update on who has found it etc and showing a few of the photos taken with the camera. Sadly, Simply Paul won't be in the report this time. We can't afford him anymore.... <_<

We're also showing all the pics on the BBC Wiltshire website here

Thanks for all your positive comments about the cache. It's been great fun to be involved in.

Steve

Points West

Hi,

I just thought I'd bump this to the top to let you know that we're revisiting the BBC cache again on Points West tonight on BBC1 at 6.30pm We're doing an update on who has found it etc and showing a few of the photos taken with the camera. Sadly, Simply Paul won't be in the report this time. We can't afford him anymore.... <_<

We're also showing all the pics on the BBC Wiltshire website here

Thanks for all your positive comments about the cache. It's been great fun to be involved in.

Steve

Points West

Does this mean you are an addictee then Steve?