2005 Washington State Geocoins

Moun10Bike

Grand Coulee yes. It is without question a Washington State icon. St Helens, on the other hand, is more of a Northwest phenomenon. Also, without the Grand Coulee Dam, much of Eastern Washington would not be the productive land that it is and the light bills for Western WA would be twice what they are now. St Helens is interesting post card stuff but the Grand Coulee is important as well as interesting.

Edited by Wienerdog

Grand Coulee is all very well, but big dams are not exclusive to Washington. Mt. St. Helens may have affected a huge area, but it is located in Washington so it is a Washington icon. When we first learned we were moving to Washington, "that's where Grand Coulee is" or "that's where the Columbia River is" did not come to mind. But you can bet Mt. St. Helens did! No other state in the continental US can boast having exploding volcanoes within our lifetimes. Heck, even the Hawaiian volcanoes don't explode. The 25th anniversary of the original eruption and the recent activity make Mt. St. Helens too good to pass up for 2005.

I like Mount St Helens, because the Space needle and Mount Rainier are cliché. Where are the rug rats? We're not just hikers. Isn't this a family thing?

BTW. The Columbia is a Portland icon. This is the WSGA not the NWGA.

Huh, maybe I'm not understanding what your saying, but I thought the Columbia ran though the whole state of Washington.

It doesn't matter where it runs. It's synonymous with Portland. No one knows where Vancouver WA is. I'm not referring to locals. We're talking about association. The Columbia is associated to Portland.

I didn't have much debate with the chain until it started taking a weird turn. Mt. St. Helens is Washington. This from a transplanted Chicagoan. The only question is which image of the explosion makes the most sense. There have been very nice mock-ups of the Columbia (and I won't get into the debate about ownership), but the anniversary of the volcano should be honored.

Yes there are lots of big dams but there are also lots of active volcanoes in the northwest and we have already had the most dangerous one on the last Geocoin. Is the point to represent both sides of the State or promote tourism?

Edited by Wienerdog

I like the dam idea, but for 2006 We could call it Columbia the damdest river. :) After all it runs through the whole state, is important for irrigation, has more dams on it than any other river. Anyone who knows history knows the mighty Columbia belongs to Washington even though it begins in Canada and borders Oregon for a short ways. They don't hesitate to buy up our eletricity either. Roll Mighty Columbia Roll!

Edit: grammer

Edited by Patudles

The mountain on the 2004 coin could be Mt Adams or Mr Rainier. Without Little Tahoma on the side you can't say for sure. And if the coin is supposed to be for the whole state, why all the divisive talk about dry/wet side? The mountains cause the difference in weather, so let's celebrate them again with a 25th anniversary of St Helens. I think the plain embossed/engraved look is the best. We need to leave the "Washington" on the top, but change the bottom to "25th Anniversary of Mt St Helens".

Maybe next year have a picture of Spokane Falls with the Fair in the background - 30th anniversary of the World's Fair.

I'm well enough off for this to be my $.50. :)

It doesn't matter where it runs. It's synonymous with Portland. No one knows where Vancouver WA is. I'm not referring to locals. We're talking about association. The Columbia is associated to Portland.

Associate the Columbia River with Portland??? There are 7 dams on the Columbia IN Washington, the remaining 4 on are the WA-OR Border. More tributaries from WA flow into the river than from OR. There are 39 WA cities along the Columbia River, only 19 OR cities. By the way, its not just the locals who associate the Columbia with WA. I have traveled to many other states and countries. When discussing the Columbia River, they refer to it as the river in WA state. Heck, The Columbia River doesn't even pass through Portland, the Willamtette River does.

Heck, The Columbia River doesn't even pass through Portland, the Willamtette River does.

I suggest you consult a map :) . Portland not only lies on the shores of the Columbia river part of Portland is on an island in the middle of the Columbia river. And while you are correct the Willamette is the more obvious river when travelling inside Portland the Columbia is the most important river to the city.

And yes there may only be 19 Oregon cities but one of them happens to be Portland the biggest city on the river.

But I digress, it seems we're getting bogged down in this. It seems that we are down to 5 choices:

1) Mt. St. Helens

2) Columbia River

3) Coast

4) Space Needle

5) Grand Coulee Dam

Did I miss any? I find it ironic that 3 (1,2,3) of the 5 represent SW Washington (and NW Oregon B) ).

If we're doing a coin every year with a different theme we're going to hit all of these eventually. So I'm not exactly sure why it's important to do any of them this year. Mt. St. Helens does have 3 reasons to do it this year (anniversary, recent activity, and a recent caching trip to it by a group of WSGAers)

We have mock ups for the first 4. Is it time to have a vote?

***edited to correct math error***

Edited by Stump

I'm for Mt. St. Helens! Seeing the coverage of it erupting in 1980 was the first time I had ever seen pictures of WA state (grew up in OH). I remember staring at the tv just boggling over all those trees!

That's my vote. I like all of the other choices as well, but St. Helens gets my vote for 2005. :)

We have mock ups for the first 4. Is it time to have a vote?

Our initial plan was to let the ideas come in for most of this month and then stage the voting in the latter half of the month. However, it does seem like the ideas are centering around the list you compiled. Do people agree that we are ready to start the official voting? If so, how long should we leave voting open?

I think it is probably time for voting. I'm kind of curious though, I've noticed that there are some Ory-gunians putting their 2 cents in, are we going to limit the voting to Washingtonians? ;) Just curious, I am definitely not trying to stir up any tempests!....

Mt St Helens could be considered part of, maybe about a dozen states. Even Oregon, oops there I go again  ;)

...I think using an icon that could ONLY be considered a Washington image is worth considering.

Not to quibble pdx, but, errr...

Tecccchhhhnically that argument could likewise bolster a rational that...

Mt. Hood could be considered part of a dozen states as well (though I doubt Kansas would be listed among them). And Canon Beach - why easily considered part of both Washington and California (as well as Oregon, of course - oh and quite possibly Hawaii!).

Point is... St. Helens is physically and fully ensconced in but one state: Washington State. And thus... a rightful icon of ONLY we's up here. :D

Mt St Helens could be considered part of, maybe about a dozen states. Even Oregon, oops there I go again  ;)

...I think using an icon that could ONLY be considered a Washington image is worth considering.

Not to quibble pdx, but, errr...

Tecccchhhhnically that argument could likewise bolster a rational that...

Mt. Hood could be considered part of a dozen states as well (though I doubt Kansas would be listed among them). And Canon Beach - why easily considered part of both Washington and California (as well as Oregon, of course - oh and quite possibly Hawaii!).

Point is... St. Helens is physically and fully ensconced in but one state: Washington State. And thus... a rightful icon of ONLY we's up here. :D

My reference was to the fact that Mt St Helens spewed ash all across a bunch of other states. The only active NW volcano in layman's terms in my lifetime. Yeah, yeah, the scientists have their way of defining an active volcano. But hey, the activity on St Helen's was deadly.

In any case, I was just making more attempts at lame humor. Or lame attempts at humor. You decide :D

I'm no Navdog, but since no one has done one yet, here is a mockup of the coin with a 'relief' version of the 1980 eruption pasted on onen of Navdog's designs. I would have replaced 'The Evergreen State' with 'Mt. St. Helens - 25th Anniversary', but my simple photo program won't do curved text.

WGC-MSH80.jpg

Now that the discussion is nearly over, and I've stayed out of it from the benginning, I have $.02 worth to put in.

1. I like the Mt. St. Helens idea best.

2. I like the smaller ash plume that duplicates the photograph.

3. "25 years later" reads kind of clunky. How about "25th anniversary"?

4. Color is good.

A few random comments in response to the thread.

No one scene is going to be representative of the entire state and any attempt to make a design that generic is going to result in an obviously committee designed coin. The best way is to select different designs each year. Examples: Columbia gorge, coastal rock stacks. Seattle skyline, Grand Coulee, etc