A Big Thankyou Eckington

I have had a email from Eckington ,who previously, off his own back, took a query re a cache event, which falls on Grey ground, upstairs to Groundspeak. All I can say is a big thank you for getting permission for the event to go ahead, you must have a Silver tongue!

This will now allow the attending of 2 events in one day, using specialized equipment for the first event to get to the second event :blink: !

Now our wonderful reviewer has worked his magic, it is time for me to work mine :rolleyes: . LOOK out for a cache event on the 10th of September, this year! well it does take time to organize 2 on the same day <_<

At the same time Eckington also worked his magic for a seperate request, but that is for the person involved to announce!

I personally now owe you a couple of pints (Paddys do?)

Dave

At the same time Eckington also worked his magic for a seperate request, but that is for the person involved to announce!

That would be me then <_<

I am therefore announcing that I will make an announcement over the next few weeks about an Event which will be held late spring (May or June), depending on the tide...... yep, the tide :rolleyes:

Cheers guys,

Stuey :blink:

To Hydee and the rest of the Groundspeak team, a very big thank you for traveling into what is a "Grey" (or should that be blue :lol: ) area and giving permission. I can only hope the that the community spirit that I hope will be shown, matches your faith in the community. Oh and how about Groundspeak giving you a bonus, and sending you to the UK, for the event :D , I can promise all of you free drinks all Day :o !

Dave

...this sounds intriguing, by the way...

Another first for the UK, I believe, I've not checked the rest of the world :grin:

Hmm do we need boats???

possibly 5,989 Gross Tonnage, but that could change :D

Does that include us then Dave ?

And there was I believing, that I as organizer was on a free day out :grin: so that if Jeremy, sprang for a plane ticket for Hydee, I could show my appreciation, for pushing the boundarys for us! :huh:

I'll have to check if they allow Trolls, as they are not mentioned on their web site :o

Hmm do we need boats???

possibly 5,989 Gross Tonnage, but that could change :grin:

Let's see if I'm on the right route with Dave's 'puzzle' event caches!

Google tells me that 5989 gross tonnage equates to the Jonathan Swift...I wonder if that means we are in for a trip to the place where my favourite dark coloured liquid comes from? :D

CK

Alright, I'll throw my my hands up i've been caught :huh:, please remember that this is an event in planning! :D

Event one :o , on the Jonathon Swift, in the middle of the Irish sea, and yes the coords on the cache page will be for somewere around there!

The Second event, a UK-Irish cachers get together event, hopefully in Dublin. I've made contact with our caching friends across the water, who have very kindly aggreed to help sort out a venue!

So there you go 2 events in one day, one if I'm not mistaken which wont be in any country (watch someone correct me :D ), Hence the big thankyou to Eckington and Hydee!

Initial details (still in the planing stages). Departing on the now leaked :grin: Jonathon Swift, around 9am on the 11th of September, timings to be confirmed, arriving in Dublin 2 hours later. Whilst on board linking up with other attendess for the first cache event in the middle of the Irish sea (international waters?). Cost of a day return ticket, subject to change by Irish ferrys is £12 per person on foot (sorrry no group discounts, unless traveling by mini bus or coach). Once in Dublin procced to the arranged venue, for the second cache event, allowing hopefully a large group from both countries to meet.Departing Dublin port in the evening for Holyhead.

Hopefullly if enough No's take part, a return event will take place, with the UK cachers hosting the Irish cachers in Holyhead!

So please shout out if you are interested, and give us a idea of what sort of No's we have to plan for regarding Dublin!

Next time I will not give such a easy clue! :P

And there was me thinking that there be a gang, all sleeping it off in the terminal car park :P

One idea is that anyone living in a area with a high No of cachers,interested in attending, look into getting a mini bus or coach (and No I'm not organizing those :lol: ), allowing all who are attending to take their anti sea sickness medicine :P .

If everyone who is interested, can give me a shout, so that my opo's in Guinness land, have a idea of No's for the venue, they are already trying to sort out a suitable venue!

Dave

Quote/Another one in my Diary - anyone got motion sickness remedies apart from the dark stuff in glasses?!Quote/

Forester's cure works, but isn't much use for someone who is actually suffering from Neptune's curse.

The best medication I'm aware of is Scopoderm. It's a little circular patch about half an inch in diameter which is stuck onto the skin behind the ear. The active ingredient diffuses through the skin. It is by far the most effective anti-seasickness drug that I've ever issued in more than 30 years of being a qualified deepsea skipper.

Place the patch about 8 hours before sailing and remove it immediately after stepping ashore. Be sure to wash your hands after handling the patch as the drug Hyoscine is very powerful.

In the UK it is classed as a prescription drug because there are some medical conditions with which its use is incompatible. Your GP will already have your history and may ask a few questions before prescribing the Scopoderm patches. Most people can use it without any problems.

There are some listed side-effects, but the most common one which I've observed in seasickness victims to whom I've issued this very effective palliative is that it can cause a headache in some people. Anyone who suffers from seasickness will readily trade a mild headache for the misery which seasickness inflicts upon its victims.

Other precautions against seasickness which work include avoiding booze the day before sailing and remaining abstinent during the voyage. Also be sure to eat a good solid meal a few hours before sailing. In the event that you do actually puke, try to drink a good quantity of water, preferably not very cold. On a very short voyage such as across the Irish Sea, it doesn't really apply, but on longer voyages it is very important to eat some good heavy broth with a bit of bread, even though eating is that last thing you want to do when you've got the queaze.

The fundamental cause of seasickness is a mismatch between the brain's sensory input from the eyes and the balance mechanism of the inner ear's vestibulary system. To avoid this conflict, try to remain in line of sight with the horizon. It will greatly help to maintain your brain's ability to resolve the internal spatial conflict which triggers the nausea and vomiting reflex.

Another useful precaution is to minimise the motion which is upsetting to people who are prone to seasickness. Try to find a place reasonably close to the centre of the ship, from which you can see the horizon. You don't need to stare at the horizon. Just let your peripheral vision have the visual input of the location of the horizon so that the brain's sensory system can integrate the visual input with the dynamic input from the balance organs of the inner ear and the sensations from the skin and muscles which are operating to keep you upright.

I apologise to the board if this long treatise is off topic in what is obviously a land-based subject such a geocacheing. In forty years of seafaring I've never suffered even the slightest twinge of seasickness, but I have had several decades worth of experience of dealing with it in other people and I'm very happy to help people to alleviate their problem whenever I can.

I'm looking forward to this. Sadly I can't commit to the planning stage as I will be moving to England between now and the event. As I hope to be travelling on the ferry with the visitors, it will be interesting to be the Irishman who will lead you all off the boat, and I'm looking forward to everybody meeting up.

let me know if you need a bus to pick you up from the port etc

Cheers for the offer mate. I'll let you know closer to the date, when people are able to firmly commit. :)

As I hope to be traveling on the ferry with the visitors, it will be interesting to be the Irishman who will lead you all off the boat,

And there was I thinking that I was considered a Honorary Irishman :D , My Lass has a Irish passport, the kids are entitled to one if they choose, I've lived in Galway, and worked in Tuam, and Rosscommon :) . And I miss primary school fund raisers, starting at midnight, and that was next to the local Garda station :) , we moved back to be closer to family!

Dave, an Englishman in Wales :P

As I hope to be traveling on the ferry with the visitors, it will be interesting to be the Irishman who will lead you all off the boat,

And there was I thinking that I was considered a Honorary Irishman :) , My Lass has a Irish passport, the kids are entitled to one if they choose, I've lived in Galway, and worked in Tuam, and Rosscommon :) . And I miss primary school fund raisers, starting at midnight, and that was next to the local Garda station :P , we moved back to be closer to family!

Dave, an Englishman in Wales :)

I guess we're all in the one boat (pardon the pun) these days.

If I got married to my girlfriend (English/Welshwoman), and because of German/Spanish roots on my fathers side, and Irish/Scottish roots on my mothers, part of my wedding speech would include a mention that I was retiring from international football!!! :D

By the way, whereabouts in North Wales are you? My girlfriend has family in Mold. It's a nice part of the world, if a bit short on caches :D

Last week it was really funny. Her aunt rang my mobile from her landline in Mold, and cheerily proclaimed: "Hello, it's Carole, in England!" I said: "Are you at home?" She said:"Yes.". So I replied: "Surely you're in Wales then." She said that she was. "Oh good," said I, "I thought you'd been invaded." :D

Good to see a Galway connection. I'm living in Oranmore, I'm sure you've passed through there before.

If you want a non-prescription seasickness cure, I find Stugerone (cinnarizine) very effective.

Lisa

There is a non-prescription version of Scopoderm. It's in tablet form. I'm told its less effective than the patch.

I agree that Stugerone is definitely one of the best of the over the counter remedies, but I would caution its use for passengers on car ferries if they are going to be driving after the voyage. The warning about drowsiness which is mentioned on the packet should not be ignored. Several times I've had cadet officers on Stugerone fall asleep on watch. Not a good career move on any ship of mine and not a good thing to happen if you're driving a car.

One problem of the orally dosed medications for seasickness is the obvious one of the victim barfing the pills up. That's something of a gotcha for serious cases of seasickness. Once they get to the puking stage, it's difficult to treat them with anything other than the Scopoderm patch. (or Mr Forrester's remedy)

:)

Perhaps I should point out that the majority of people don't suffer from seasickness in normal weather conditions on normal ships and that worrying about seasickness can actually induce the condition. I've never worked one of the wave-piercing hull design ships such as the ferry you are talking about, but looking at her underwater shape and guesstimating her metacentric height I'd say she'll be a good comfortable ride for the vast majority of her passengers.

as the drug Hyoscine is very powerful.

isn't Hyoscine the drug that Crippen used to poison his wife with?

My second officer did his ship captains medical course a quarter of a century after I did mine and he's much fresher on the pharma stuff. He tells me that hyoscine is the same as scopolomine which is an extremely powerful drug.

Scopolamine used to be used in prepping patients for major surgery and was used by the nazis and the east German secret police as a truth drug.

My warning about always washing your hands after handling those scopoderm patches is very serious. I once had a perfectly sane person become quite psychotic after accidentally transferring some residue from a scopoderm patch to his mouth. I had to consult medical advice by radio to establish what the hell had happened to him and they figured out that it was the scopoderm patch which had caused the problem. He had been self-treating for toothache with the old sailors remedy of a clove and had stuck his hand into his mouth just after handling a scopoderm patch.

Moral of the tale: not only deck varnish does exactly what it says on the tin.

Edited to add:

hey, I've just been changed from being a tadpole to being a geocacher. How did that happen? How did I skip the frog and the prince stages in my development? I thought I was too old and grey to ever be awarded any more promotion at my time of life. :)

Edited by SigurdM
Edited to add:

hey, I've just been changed from being a tadpole to being a geocacher. How did that happen? How did I skip the frog and the prince stages in my development? I thought I was too old and grey to ever be awarded any more promotion at my time of life.

You lose your tadpole status when you make your 10st post.

Edited to add:

hey, I've just been changed from being a tadpole to being a geocacher. How did that happen? How did I skip the frog and the prince stages in my development? I thought I was too old and grey to ever be awarded any more promotion at my time of life.

You lose your tadpole status when you make your 10st post.

My post was quite heavy. :)

I think my ex-wife would prefer my status to be listed as Premium Member.

How many heavy posts do I have to write to obtain that exalted status?

Does it involve kissing frogs or princesses? I've done the former once or twice but not the latter.

I think my ex-wife would prefer my status to be listed as Premium Member.

How many heavy posts do I have to write to obtain that exalted status?

Does it involve kissing frogs or princesses? I've done the former once or twice but not the latter.

<_< You just have to cough up approximately £17 per year to gc.com to become a premium member.

Your in depth posts on seasickness will be usefull to folks on here not only for the trip to the emerald isle but also for those planning a cruise

Mark

Your in depth posts on seasickness will be usefull to folks on here not only for the trip to the emerald isle but also for those planning a cruise

Mark

There are a couple of other tips.

Try to find a place on the ship which gives you a view of the horizon and is fairly close to the centre of the vessel. The heave effects of pitch and roll are geometrically increased with distance from the centre, so midships is the most comfortable part of the ship to be. It doesn't need to be dead centre. Somewhere in the middle third of the ship is best.

Getting some fresh air on a leeward deck is a good idea, but be careful in a cold climate not to get chilled. When you get cold your blood supply goes inwards to the core of the body and your blood pressure can go up. Neither of these things is very helpful if you've got a delicate tummy and you've already got cold and clammy skin from the queaze.

Of course, try to find a place which is close to the heads if you think you might need to make a sudden loud call to Hughie on the great white telephone.

On a long voyage, where you have a cabin, try to resist the natural urge to go below decks to retire to your bunk if you get queasy. To get your sea legs you really need to let your brain go through the learning process of integrating the sensory input from your eyes with the sensory input from your body's balance mechanism. If you go to your bunk and lie down you will greatly increase the number of hours or even days which you will take to become accustomed to the motion of the ship. I know it's easier to say than for a seasick person to do, but it's very important to try to help your body to deal with the fundamental cause of the problem by letting your brain tie in the input it is getting from your eyes to the input it is getting from your balance mechanism. It can't do that if you are lying down out of sightline of the horizon because your eyes will be seeing a cabin which is not apparently moving but your balance organs and your muscles and skin will be experiencing the motion.

Something else which is difficult to do, especially if the eating space has galley smells, but is very important, is to eat something. In the worst case, if you are actually into the upchuck phase of seasickness, you need to have something for your puke reflex to work with. In very rare cases, the tummy muscles and diaphragm can lock into upchuck mode with nothing to bear down on and it can cause a spasm which prevents you from breathing. That's another reason for not retreating to your cabin. Your crew, if they have been well trained, know how to use the heimlich manoeuvre to break you out of such a spasm.

Now let's not talk any more about seasickness.

Nice avatar, by the way :o

9eb59755-853d-4f66-87e7-d1a300bad4ed.jpg