Hello I'm New.

You need to check with the airline you are flying with to see if they allow the use of GPSr's too. Actually they all should allow it. There is no reason for not banning their use as they only receive GPS signals which are already there with or without a device to collect the signal.

You are quite right about checking with the cabin crew before switching a GPSr on.

Some airlines have a policy of forbidding them; some permit their use in the cruise; and some leave it to the discretion of the Captain.

It is a fallacy that a GPSr does not transmit a signal. All radio receivers and some other electronic devices (such as a computer or its CRT monitor) transmit signals at harmonic frequencies of the intermediate frequency of the receiver. That's how tv detectors work and its how baddies (or secret policemen!) can read your computer monitor from a van parked outside your home or office.

Some modern airliners, especially Airbusses, are fly-by-wire, ie there are no direct mechancial connections between the controls on the flight deck and the control surfaces on the wings and tailfeathers. Instead the control inputs are transmitted along wires which pass within a few feet of passengers' heads or feet. Those wires are like huge antennae and can pick up tiny signals if they are close enough. That's why some pilots and engineers are reluctant to experiment with letting passsengers switch on electronic devices which are likely to transmit signals.

I cannot believe how many posts the pic of an attractive girl sitting on her bed attracts. Even an offer of company on the hunts :(

Arent we all such a kind and helpful lot eh, wonder how many offers and replies would have appeared without such a lovely name, nice pic and a few well placed comments.

Maybe this is just me being cynical though :rolleyes:  :(  :P  :mad:  ;)  :P  :P  :P

Hence 2202's assumption that Miss Duracell Bunny is a wind up.

I did think the same myself, but thought that she could be for real. It seems a bit like all the people in internet chat rooms who are "Helga, model, 21, from Sweden" and turn out to be a 35 year old trucker from Barnsley.

I think we'll just have to wait until she turns up at an event to find out for sure ;)

The other question is how many PMs has she attracted?

Edited by NickPick
I cannot believe how many posts the pic of an attractive girl sitting on her bed attracts. Even an offer of company on the hunts :(

Arent we all such a kind and helpful lot eh, wonder how many offers and replies would have appeared without such a lovely name, nice pic and a few well placed comments.

Maybe this is just me being cynical though :(  ;)  :)  :rolleyes:  :P  :P  :P  ;)

Eh!!! I never saw that :P :P :P I was just being my normal helpfull self.

I like *All* cachers (just some more than others :mad: )

Edited by Deego
...and turn out to be a 35 year old trucker from Barnsley.

And what's wrong with:

a. 35 year olds?

b. truckers?

c. people from Barnsley?

Or is it that specific combination that make them wierd??? :(

Or to put it another way: what kind of chat rooms does NickPick hang around in ?

:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with 35yo truckers from Barnsley, just the ones who pretend to be 21 year old swedish models.

Doh!, I've given myself away there haven't I?

I'm not that good-looking anyway that was just a nice photo I hate photos.

Ah, OK, it's a different girl in the photo :rolleyes:

Well, I guess that makes it OK to say that if the girl in the photo was President, she'd be Babraham Lincoln (and 5 bonus points for the movie reference).

Here is Holger, a terrifically nice German cacher with whom I went out (caching!!!!! only caching!!!!! really - see our logs !!!!!) the other evening.

112553_200.JPG

So you can see that when our fellow cachers generally look like him, we're keen to meet new people who look as cute as, er, your friend.

Nick

PS: Any sexism in this post doesn't count, because I live in France, where it's all OK, ner-ner-ne-ner-ner :(

(Edit: Holger included inline, for full effect)

Edited by sTeamTraen
I just found out yesterday that you can log TBs on the geocaching WAP page wap.geocaching.com  Finally a useful use for wap!

Hi all, :D

I went to this wap site on my phone and tried to find local Caches and when I clicked the link it was dead. It just takes me back to the page that I gust clicked the link from. So I tried to sign in and it said the following

“Server error in/ system.exception. The page requires session state that is no longer available either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit”

All it will let me do is look up a travel bug. Not much help to me.

I can view other wap sites without problems.

I know I can get all the information from the main website bit I thought I would give the wap site a go.

:( Anyone have any ideas??????? :(

Edited by Miss_Duracell_Bunny
All it will let me do is look up a travel bug. Not much help to me.

Actually even that is potentially quite useful. Many TBs don't have their description attached, so you don't know whether you'll be helping them in their mission if you take them. On a couple of occasions I've taken a TB home at the end of a weekend trip, only to find I'd moved it some way in the wrong direction.

My contribution to fixing this is to provide a bug sheet and a Ziploc for every TB I find, but if I can just get this WAP thing to work at all on my phone, that will be a bonus.

I will come to the London event so the people that think I’m fake can get over it and we can all talk about more important things like GEOCACHING!!

I think you will be most welcome. Note to Richard.... book the big room.

Err... is there anything else in the world to talk about other then Geocaching? (PDAS, Cameras, GPSrs, etc?)

I think you will be most welcome.  Note to Richard.... book the big room.

That room ain't so big, but we should definitely book it. Doesn't cost anything. I'll give Richard a nudge, I don't work near there anymore.

Err... is there anything else in the world to talk about other then Geocaching? (PDAS, Cameras, GPSrs, etc?)

Beer!

Well Miss Duracell Bunny, if indeed you are not a fake I will take my hat off to you.

However, as I was author to a serious wind up spanning many months on another forum, and which caught the attention of the local press (it may have even come to the attention of our esteemed moderator/approver Lactodorum aka The Hornet), the signs are not in your favour.

The phrase ‘and I claim my £5’ originates in a campaign run by one of the country’s tabloid papers back in the 50’s or 60’s where they would publish a photograph of one of their journalists (McDehack ?) and he would wander around various seaside resorts. If you recognised him and had a copy of the said newspaper in your hand, you would approach him and say, ‘You are …. And I claim my £5. Except it probably was not a fiver, but we have to allow for inflation. Low and behold he would have to dish out the money there on the spot. Oh innocent times.

A young lady who can read maps and is into geocaching ,swimming, clubing and is also at uni, that is refreshingly different  and I hope that she will enjoy this new interest as much as I do. :laughing:  :anibad:

Hey, don't be so horrible! B) I'm at uni and (try to) geocache. We are v.rare though...

MarcB

Edited by MarcB

Hi Ribel,

No its not always like this ,just read the other plentiful threads. :huh: There are some threads which always bring out strong views such as the 4x4 thread. Just go to a cache meet. You will find a group of people from all walks of life who are very friendly and will prove to be very helpful.I am sure that Miss Duracell Bunny will recieve a very warm welcome . I have a sneaky feeling that she is also very capable of giving as good as she gets.By the way MDB that is meant to be a compliment . :):)

Will you people please stop talking about me like I do not exist. I will be going to the London event next month. For all you that think I’m some how not real, I will see you there. What a polite way to welcome a newcomer. I have nothing more to say on this matter :o:wub:

Ignore those eejits, Miss DB! :wub:

There has been a bit of of trolling and general nastiness around herein the past and people get suspicious.

Anyway, welcome to the game and good caching!

Lisa

As a complete newcomer myself, I can sympathise with the strangeness feeling that Miss Battery Bunny has expressed.

For the past two or three weeks I've been hoping to catch (if that's the word) my first geocache. I've lurked here and elsewhere to try to learn the ropes of this strange landbound hobby because it seems to me to be an ideal way to stretch ones legs ashore without automatically going to the nearest bar.

I'd hoped to be able to nab one near Tilbury after Immingham, but we did a very high speed turnaround on that port call. My bo's'n calls those port calls "ricochets" because of the speed with which we cast off so soon after having tied up alongside the wall.

Our next port call was another "ricochet" in Germany, and I'd hoped that the next again port would be ideal to visit one of the caches. It was Bergen. Plenty of caches places there, all a very short walk from the quay. What's more, we had a forecast of violent weather so the owners and the chief and I decided to bring forward some deferred maintenance to the prop gland and sit out the storm alongside the wall.

I borrowed the wee handheld GPS from the starboard lifeboat and printed the descriptions of two local caches with a view to visiting them and starting my geocaching career. Just before I set foot on the gangway there was a pipe to tell me that there was a phone call for me. It was the owners telling me that an associate company which is head quartered in Bergen had set up a formal dinner do and that I was expected to attend. So it was off with the chinos and on with the number 1 mess dress for a tedious evening of toasts and speeches in starched collars and stiff drinks with a bunch of Norwegians who fondly imagined that they can somehow drink an Orcadian under the table. We are a mixture of viking and pict, so we have a genetic advantage over the pale-haired Noggi folk.

It was a good night out, but it scuppered my intended GPS hunt for treasure.

The next day was a bit of a blur, with lots of strong black coffee as the Norwegian sailing regulations are ferocious about deck officers blood/alcohol ratio. They insist that there be a high level of blood in your alcohol stream if you are putting to sea.

Next port was Lisbon, but that was another ricochet. Onwards to Las Palmas. Here I really thought I would be able to slink away and visit a geocache on a nearby hilltop. That was until I costed the price of a taxi for the day and the price of a day's car hire. Too much money for me for a morning's entertainment.

Next port is Kings Bay in Georgia. They can be funny about letting us go ashore on jollies. Sometimes they let us. Sometimes they don't. We shall see. I've already got my pages of nearby geocache material printed out. Hopefully, I shall break my geocaching virginity soon.