Cache Not At Coords

SlideRule

Are you sure you actually found the cache you were looking for?  B)

My sentiments exactly. When I saw the topic title, I was thinking that you'd found one a couple feet off, but that distance is far enough for it to have been another cache. I've found one cache that was 100 feet off from the posted coordinates. I posted the coordinates I got from my receiver, and others have noted that they were more accurate, in that case. Usually, anything within 50 feet I now just chalk up to GPSr differences.

Funny thing is that one stage of one of my own caches has changing numbers. I've never been able to get within 45 feet of the same numbers twice. This is one of the reasons that I set it up the way I did.

I once got an incredibly angry email from a person who had found one of my caches an astonishing 25 feet away from the spot where his GPSr zeroed out... B)

He told me I should take more care in placing caches, and measuring coordinates, because it took him 20 minutes to find the micro.

nfa-jamie

Here's my log for my second find, ever:

B) June 4, 2001 by Jamie Z (276 found)

I really like the spot where this cache is hidden. I found it without much difficulty, owing to MarkJ's tip about the coordinates being off about a mile. As long as you can make it to the stacks, you'll find it. Everything was in good condition, but I didn't see any wildlife.

Jamie

HAHA! I have a log that I'm particularly proud of in one instance: it's cute; and not so proud of in another, in that I went on about the cache being some 40 feet from the coords. I was a newbie and didn't know any better. The cache was one of the oldest in the area... B)

To the OP, I notice that you are on the board. Who's board? I work for the dog, myself.

We once found an ammo can in the woods about a mile from the posted coords. Actually other then the typo in the latitude minutes, the coords were pretty good, and figuring out the typo not hard if locally familiar. We mentioned the error in our log (MEFF) and the owner promptly corrected. Another typoed cache was found by a user - the typo was in the latitude degrees making it about 69 miles off - again the write up suggested the correct location, if you had enough familiarity with the west coast of Florida. That one was archived by the owner after one find - don't know why, maybe didn't like being told his coords were only 69 miles off?

Are you sure you actually found the cache you were looking for? :D

Yes, I was at the correct cache - The ID information in the log was correct. Later verified with the owner that he had posted the coords of his house and not that of the cache. For me, an interesting example of "Use all the information available, whenever".

Interesting enought. Yesterday, I did a multi-cache and did not even use the GPS once. The location of the first information site, I knew, as I have lived in this area for many moons. The second, third and final cache sites, were easy to dead recogn (sp) . The distance from the first location to the final was 2.2 miles. Once again, using all information available.

My hats are off to those that can do better than this.

-- SlideRule

Are you sure you actually found the cache you were looking for?  :(

Yes, I was at the correct cache - The ID information in the log was correct. Later verified with the owner that he had posted the coords of his house and not that of the cache. For me, an interesting example of "Use all the information available, whenever".

Interesting enought. Yesterday, I did a multi-cache and did not even use the GPS once. The location of the first information site, I knew, as I have lived in this area for many moons. The second, third and final cache sites, were easy to dead recogn (sp) . The distance from the first location to the final was 2.2 miles. Once again, using all information available.

-- SlideRule

:rolleyes:

The ID information in the log was correct.  Later verified with the owner that he had posted the coords of his house and not that of the cache.

I did the same thing tonight when building the page for my first hide.

When I went back later to add some images that I had found to the page, I noticed the map was showing the location no where near where I was wanting to place the hide.

When I looked at the distance from my home location, it said 24 feet. :(

I popped up the map and zoomed in to see it was the location of my house.

When I tried to bring up the marked spot on the GPSr to get the coordinates, I had accidentally hit "No" when it asked me if I wanted to show it.

Then the page went right back to the info for my current location.

Current Location: My home office.

Saved Home Location: My front sidewalk!! :rolleyes::mad:

Good thing I hadn't activated it for release into the wild yet! :(

D-man ;)

Edited by gridlox
Are you sure you actually found the cache you were looking for? :(

Yes. It was the only cache in the area. Cache was verified with the owner who agreed that a co-ord posting mistake had been made.

The cache page in question has been fixed.

But I still reckon we deserve two smilies for finding it!!!!!

So we're giving ourselves two: :mad::rolleyes:

I've done stuff like that before. Listed the parking coords as the cache coords, forgotten that it was 37° 07.xxx instead of 37° 06.xxx, etc. On the one that I listed the parking coords twice, the first finder knew the area pretty well and just went on a walk down the trail. The cache looks like a tree stump, and it's onlly 50 feet from the trail, so he just walked up and checked.

Are you sure you actually found the cache you were looking for?  :rolleyes:

Sounds like a cache I found a while back cache , I was trying for a FTF and I took a wrong turn, So I pulled off the side of the road to re enter the coordinates, I told the GPS to take me to the closest cache. Well the GPS says I am 40 feet from the cache. I get out of my truck to find a Reg. size cache and I see a micro hanging in a tree by my truck. I open the cache thinking the sizes was posted wrong. Then I see the name of the cache, It was not the one I was looking for. I was only off by 2 miles.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

When I was out caching with a group of cachers in my area we went to a cache that one of the participants had already found so he was standing near the spot where he had found it originally.The rest of us found the second version of the same cache and were signing the log book when the other person in the group asked us what we were doing as the cacche was about 50 feet or so away.It appers that someone logged a missing cache so the owner just put another out in the same spot but never looked for the original so we logged finds for both versions of the same cache.

... we logged finds for both versions of the same cache.

Funny you should mention that, as a local cacher went out to check on his cache and couldn't find it. He reworked the cache entirely, with the hide near where the old one was, and archived the original. My son and I went looking for the new one and found the old one (not realizing what he'd done). Later, I got an email from the owner asking if I could please tell him where his cache was? :huh:

Took me three attempts to find one of my own caches which had only been moved about 4 feet from its proper location - magnetic, camo painted to match it's surroundings and placed so I can see it as I drive past. There were a bunch of no finds, so I went to check on it. Couldn't find it. Then one of the no finders posted a find on a repeat attempt. I went back, couldn't find it. I emailed them and they said they had JUST found it and they told me it had been moved to the other side and about 3 feet up in the column. I guess I did too good of a camo paint job.

You just don't expect people to replace the cache completely differently. I think that's something newbie's don't understand.

[interesting enough.  Yesterday, I did a multi-cache and did not even use the GPS once.    The location of the first information site, I knew, as I have lived in this area for many moons.  The second, third and final cache sites,  were easy to dead recogn (sp) .  The distance from the first location to the final was 2.2 miles.  Once again, using all information available.

-- SlideRule

Don't own a GPS.. all my finds and hides are GPSless.

Today, I found a cache. A FTF for me. The interesting thing was that the posted coords were 850 feet from the actual cache.

Has anyone found any further from the given coords?

SlideRule

I found one last summer that was .35 miles off the posted coordinates.

I was able to do it because I assumed the cache was at a particular view point and not 1/3 mile down the cliff because of it's rating. I simply looked in all the places I would hide a cache and eventually it turned up.