Helicopter Only Caches

Mighty Tiggers

Howdy :blink:,

I've been lurking here for a little while, reading up on most everything GC related. At first, I was the only one in the family that got the bug. However, my son hasn't stopped talking about "finding treasure" since we found our first cache a month ago. In fact, we are about to go look for one of the "Project A.P.E." caches in a few minutes. Now, it's become a family obsession, and I had to change my username from RDRickster to what it is now.

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to the GC staff asking about a "Helicopter Only" or "Aircraft Only" cache idea, and they suggested I test the waters on the forum. Specifically, a helicopter can go some places where people can't really get to (without great difficulty). An example would be a pinnacle (maybe the real hard-core rock climbers would dare to go, but not likely). Another example would be a rooftop helipad.

Well, I wanted to know if anybody thought this was a particularly dumb idea or if it had merit. Perhaps even the creation of a special helicopter icon as a new type of cache find? Okay, I'm going to duck for cover and wait for the incoming rounds, now.

R2

Just got back from Project APE (Mission 7: Crab Creek)... very cool cache. Anyway, I'll post this on some of the helicopter forums and see what the other side thinks. Of course, there will be some folks that find the cache without a helicopter or other aircraft... hats off to them for reaching it. In my mind, the goal would be to use a helicopter as a tool to get there... like scuba gear to reach the bottom of a lake. Yes, larger helicopters are very expensive to rent or to charter. However, smaller helicopters (2-seat rotorcraft) aren't out of reach. If you search the web, you will probably find a local flight school, near you, that offers a helicopter demo/intro ride for $99 bucks or less!

I suspect that the number of recreational helicopter pilots who are cachers is in the single digits. I fly helicopters, but only when and where the customer or the boss says, and certainly not to Maryland. You won't be going out to a cache on that $99 introductory lesson, but only after you get your license, about $50,000 later.

If you want to put such a cache out, fine, but I will bet the rent money that > 90% of the finders will actually get to it on foot, and those will be very few. If that's ok with you, have fun.

I have always said, the hider can put in anything and require anything he can get approved. The hunter can select what he wants or can find. In Alaska and Canada there are a lot of lakes that can only be accessed via float plane in the summer or a ski plane when the ice has formed. If someone wants to place a cache on a lake or on a river that has a lot of float trips, it might get more hits that you might think. Back in the late 70's, I took a kayak trip down the Noatak River in Alaska. If taking the trip now it would be fun to pick up a cache or two every day. Good Luck, Dick, W7WT

If you want to put such a cache out, fine, but I will bet the rent money that > 90% of the finders will actually get to it on foot, and those will be very few.  If that's ok with you, have fun.

What you would not use an S-76 to go caching :o

I work at an airport and there is a fellow that is a helicopter instructor. The going rate is $275 an hour for lesions. The helicopter is a two seat Robertson R-22.

I wish that I had the money to learn as it looks like fun.

Forgive me if you have thought of this already, but you might wand to check local regulations, as there are many places that it would be illegal to land a helicopter off airport.

On the other hand if you have the opportunity to pull off a helicopter only cache. I would say put it out there and see what happens.

Jim

$100/hour won't come close. We charge $6400/hour if I go out, but it's a couple of hundred cheaper in the daytime. The cheapest thing available, usually an R22, costs more than $100/hour to operate, nevermind making any profit. It's expensive to keep that many moving parts flying in close formation - mostly maintenance, and the A&P mechanic who's doing that is making less than the guy down at the Ford dealer.

A trick Mighty Tiggers is to open the cache and view it on one page. If you are using Microsoft (it might work on other OS's) do CTRL + F for Find. Type the word you are looking for, state, town, anything someone might put as a keyword for their cache, and bingo, you will not have to look at 1533 posted finds! :huh: Piece of cake.

Cone Z is one of the best caches I have seen yet. How the heck can you get to it UNLESS you have a helicopter? Anyone want to join me?

If I win lotto, this is the first cache I'm doing! I'm happy to team up with someone, just don't hold ya breath waiting! :huh: (I Don't buy lotto tickets often, and haven't won anything yet ;) )

I Got baggies on the FTF prize though! I think that looks cool! (Well, probably about -40 degrees cool to get technical...)

I have a couple of questions after reading through these posts about the chopper cache ... how are caches like this approved - if someone would need a chopper to get to it, or a boat, or something along those lines. Also, I saw someone speaking of lakes in Canada that could only be reached via floatplane ... wouldn't that violate the 'vacation' cache rule? Or there's a cache in St. John USVI that was placed by a connecticut cacher I think (ok, so this has nothing to do with the chopper, but it made me think of it while reading some of the posts), how is that approved, if the people are from connecticut and the cache is in the caribbean?

A trick Mighty Tiggers is to open the cache and view it on one page. If you are using Microsoft (it might work on other OS's) do CTRL + F for Find. Type the word you are looking for, state, town, anything someone might put as a keyword for their cache, and bingo, you will not have to look at 1533 posted finds! B) Piece of cake.

good advice. i use this to search for locationless caches in my state. i view all the logs, do the ctrl + F finger dance, and type in my state. pretty much every log should have the state mentioned in it. that way i can find ones that are close to me.

I love the helo-cache idea, especially if it is in an area you know to have helocopter rides available, or if there was a "twist" like you are a pilot and if someone contacted you, you would make arrangements to do the flying. I have thought about this type of tour while on vacation a couple times but have never done it. If I could pick up a cache in the process it might make the differance.

As to the Canada/Caribbean question: it is sort of a matter of being able to give enough information to your reviewer to show that you can maintain the cache. The USVI folks my have vacation property down there and go 2-3 times a year with a local "emergengy" contact. In Canada, the case may be that the cache belongs to one of the many fishing guides or float plane pilots. Personally my only cache to date is well over 100 miles from where I live, but I go there every month to 6 weeks - it's at my parents. There is one in my area (OH) that is owned by a cacher that lives in TX but is originally from here. Again, he has an "emergency" contact if there are problems.

It really boils down to good communication with the reviewers!

edit:spelling

Edited by wv-yen

And a helicopter was used to log this Locationless (Reverse) cache just two days ago. Very cool...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...a9-35e2bb6e2541

I know the pilot because he visits one of the popular helicopter forums. Reading his stats further, this was his FIRST GEOCACHE find... and he did it while piloting an AS350B2. In case you are wondering, this is what one looks like...

march2004.jpg

Edited by Mighty Tiggers

Not a bad idea, but extremly specialized!

If you placed it in a large metro area and specifically knew there were a large number of helecopter pilots interested in geocaching it might get a visitor or two. In Los Angeles/Orange county in CA there are a couple hundred helecopters run by sheriff/police, fire, city, television, search and rescue, tour groups, and a very select few private birds. If you placed your cache near a landing pad frequented by pilots for recertification, you might get some visits.

The exclusivity and cost of operating and having access to a helecopter will definately impact the number of visitors your cache will see.

I think you will get more visitors if you made a cache specifically for UFO pilots, in a location in the fifth dimension.