Opinions / Views

GIDEON-X

#1 Cache approved 01/13/05 "Pilot Knob" GCMC6T

#2 Four local cachers out on the 14th (AM) four no-finds

#3 Placer did not place the cache until the 15th (oh I waited till it was approved

before placing the cache) (note posted to answer the 4 no-finds)

Myself I feel this is a very LAME ~~~ What's your take on this!! ;)

If you give the benefit of the doubt to the owners, it looks to me like the they felt there were valid reasons for doing it this way:

The last time I tried to submit this cache it was rejected so I waited till it was approved before putting the cache in place. I did not expect it to be approved so quickly

So it doesn't look like the owner meant any harm in doing it this way. I also can't find anything that says you HAVE to have the cache in place before you submit it. The "Guide to Creating and Hiding a Cache" lists the order of steps as PLACE then REPORT the cache, but it doesn't say you MUST do it that way.

However, I wouldn't do it this way myself, and I wouldn't be happy if I encountered such a situation. Especially if I was out in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn trying to score the FTF.

I guess you just shrug and move on.

The cache owner's concern is understandable, although with reasonable up-front research, cache denials should be rare.

One way to deal with a similar situation might be for the cache owner to post a note (not a reviewer note) on the cache page before submitting the page that states that the physical cache will be placed after it is posted to the web site, and that another note will be posted to let everyone know when it is in place and OK to find.

#3 Placer did not place the cache until the 15th (oh I waited till it was approved

Myself I feel this is a very LAME ~~~ What's your take on this!! ;)

Rude, lazy and inconsiderate.

Here's how I do it... nobody's complained yet

I plan the area (get approx. coords off of a map)

I create the listing, but I _*do not*_ check the box yet

I go out with GPS to the area and get real coords, then put them on the cache page

I go out the next day possible and get another set of coords, then compare them to the first set, and put the best ones on the cache page

I physically place the container or whatever

I then make any final changes to the cache page

Then, _and only then_, do I check the box

Happy Caching

Jeff

Myself I feel this is a very LAME ~~~  What's your take on this!!  ;)

Rude, lazy and inconsiderate.

I should also add that I've done it. Bad idea. It stinks having to head out at 5 am to place a cache because the approval came faster than you expected.

I agree, I would want the cache to be there if it was a new one on my cache page. I hide mine and get it approved. Would that in some time, I have one not approved or someone beats me to a location, I would go back and remove it. If you aren't close enough to remove it than how will you maintain it?

My take is you place the cache, then look for approval. If, for some reason the cache is not approved, find out why and go remove the cache or move it. Maybe you are slightly too close to another cahce -- you can just visit the cache and move it a little.

We have some serious FTF folks here -- I would not wish to disapoint them. Might get a bad reputation!

I have a feeling this cache owener was embarrased and felt bad about the DNF's that were their fault.  Do you think they will do it again?  I'll bet they find that checkbox if they do.

I agree...VERY LAME and guilty as charged :lol:.

This cache owner was embarrassed and has since learned how to use the check box. We had submitted the cache for approval at about 11:39 p.m. local time and it was approved by 5:16 a.m. local time, less that six hours later!!! Talk about great service :blink:! Other than the little detail that the cache wasn't placed yet :D.

We dashed out of the house into a just slightly brisk -17° F morning to place the cache and met the FTF wannabes who had already been all over the location. I explained my situation and they decided to get another cup of hot coffee while I hid the cache. They later returned and snagged the FTF.

I'll never put myself in that situation again.

The check box is also handy if one has a cache placed but wants new snow to cover up the tracks made during the cache placement. I have used (rather, not checked) the box for three subsequent cache hides and fortunately the weather cooperated with a snow dump within three days each time.