How Far Away Are Your 'caches?

tirediron

Okay first off, this is NOT a discussion on maximum maintainable distance or anything like that, it's just my curiosity.

What I am curious about is how far away your nearest and farthest hides (from where you live) are. Do some/many/most involve longer hikes, are they easy walks from the car-park or ??? How many routine maintenance visits a year to you make?

I'm about 80Km in radius -- most are less than 2KM from home or work.

I plan a series of caches that are almost 1000KM away, but they are remote and I visist at least once, if not 2-3 times a year, so I hope to get them approved basaed upon my commitment to maintain them. I also have back-up maintenance "staff" in the areas of my planned remotes.

Okay first off, this is NOT a discussion on maximum maintainable distance or anything like that, it's just my curiosity. 

What I am curious about is how far away your nearest and farthest hides (from where you live) are.  Do some/many/most involve longer hikes, are they easy walks from the car-park or ???  How many routine maintenance visits a year to you make?

All of the above. Hikes vary, ease varies, I have more out of town caches tha n in town caches. I don't do routine maintenance. There needs to be a problem of some type to get it on my agenda for a maintenance run.

My farthest is 2752.18 miles at least according to mapquest.

My normal range is most all of Southern Idaho. About 300 miles wide by 100 miles tall. Skewed to the West. I haven't done much in WY or UT yet even thought they are both closer to home than a lot of my caches. I wouldn't think twice about placing another cache in Boise at 250 miles away, but I wouldn't touch Kuna without help at 260 miles away. Right now I have one cache that needs the container replaced. I should get to it the first part of next month.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Of my caches they are from around 1 mile to 90 miles from home. The caches that I have 90 miles away are in Sacramento Calif which is were I spend most of my weekends, so maintanance is not a problem with those, but is a problem for one I have maybe 1.5 miles from home because the Dr. will not let me do the hike that is required to maintain it at this time. :angry:

What I am curious about is how far away your nearest and farthest hides (from where you live) are. Do some/many/most involve longer hikes, are they easy walks from the car-park or ??? How many routine maintenance visits a year to you make?

Okay, I'll bite.

My farthest I have as the crow files is 1.1 miles away. At the trail head it takes about 40 minutes to get to and back from the cache on foot. Five to 10 minutes to go to the cache and about 30 minutes to get BACK. Yes, hike is steep!

I only have 3. They are within 12 miles of my house. I've often wondered how you guys keep up with far off caches or how you have time to enjoy caching when you have a high number of hides. I guess some folks love hiding as much as I love finding and hunting. One guy in my area has something like 30 cache hides. God Bless Him. :angry:

My nearest is .6 mile from home as the cow flies. The farthest is about 220 miles away. Most of my caches are within 25 miles of my home in NJ, but I have a small cluster in Vt, not far from where my brother lives.

I have 108 total hides and 82 currently active caches. Of the active ones, 7 are either virtuals or park 'n grabs and the rest involved hikes ranging from 1/2 to about 6 miles RT. Most are probably in the 1-3 mile range.

I generally don't make regularly scheduled maint trips, but I make sure I respond to any reported problems, usually within a few days. I mostly use ammo boxes to reduce the potential for problems resulting from leakage, or animal damage and I place most of them pretty far off the beaten path to reduce the chance of muggling. I do stop by my caches when I'm in the area and I tend to hide them in places that I frequent, so I probably touch each one at least once a year.

Edited by briansnat
I have 108 total hides and 82 currently active caches.  Of the active ones, 7 are either virtuals or park 'n grabs and the rest involved hikes ranging from 1/2  to about 5 miles. Most are probably in the 1-3 mile range.

Holy frijole! Briansnat with 108 hides and 325 finds! :angry: That is an incredible ratio! Find 3 caches, hide 1! :angry: That stat is really remarkable...do you happen to own a dollar general store??? :angry:

I have 108 total hides and 82 currently active caches.  Of the active ones, 7 are either virtuals or park 'n grabs and the rest involved hikes ranging from 1/2  to about 5 miles. Most are probably in the 1-3 mile range.

Holy frijole! Briansnat with 108 hides and 325 finds! :angry: That is an incredible ratio! Find 3 caches, hide 1! :angry: That stat is really remarkable...do you happen to own a dollar general store??? :angry:

Why do you think I only have 325 finds :lol: . No, I don't own a dollar store, but Campmor, Home Depot and Walmart love it when the see me walk in the door. :lol:

46 hides - as close as .28 miles from home and as much as 180 - mostly to my north and west in western nebraska and Wyoming. A few drive-ups, a few .30 mi hikes and one multi that generally takes about an hour. I have 159 finds as far away as 1000 miles but most are scattered within 160 mi of home. I try to visit each of my caches 2 times a year but several only get 1 per year.

I have 12 hides, the nearest is 1.5 miles from my house and the farthest is 55 miles from my house. Maintenance checks are based on 1) reported problems, 2) if I am near the area, or 3) the number of times the cache has been found.

Cache........Distance........Visitors.....Maintenance.....Date Placed......Distance

.................from Home..........................Checks..................................from Car

Bird Trail.......1.5 mi............50................4..............12-28-03..........1/4 or .50 mi

Easy walk over the flood wall and along a minimally maintained bird trail.

Whitehaven 6 mi.............144...............6..............02-10-04............100 ft

Rest stop

Tunnel Hill.....37 mi............27.................3..............03-06-04............1.5 mi

Easy walk along a converted Rail to Trail and through a tunnel.

Camel of

the Gods.......55 mi............22.................1..............03-14-04.............1 mi

Two routes it could be an easy walk through the woods or moderate trek finding your way to the bottom of the bluff through a wash and a rock filled crack.

Chief Paduke...5 mi............15.................1..............08-05-04.............100 ft

Easy paved-except last 30 ft.

Sand Cave......32 mi............6.................3..............08-10 04.............1.25 mi

Easy .5 mile walk down shared hiking/horse trail to cave. Then last 400 ft to cache has very steep elevation changes-climbing through boulders.

Ghost Dance....24 mi............9.................2..............08-11-04..............3/4 mi

Moderate trail through canyon with semi-steep hill to base of bluff then a climb 15 ft to top of boulder that is 40 ft above canyon.

Bluff Trail........24 mi............8.................1..............08-11-04.............1.5 mi

Easy walk through the woods with some climbing around a seasonal waterfall at end.

Fore for Free....4 mi............22.................2..............08-16-04.........1/4 mi or 20 ft

Easy walk around a 9 hole par 3 golf course, or drive to it by maintenance access road.

Crow Knob.....32 mi............1.................1..............10-10-04........2 mi or 200 ft

Depends on your vehicle and condition of forest service road.

Arch..............38 mi............1.................1..............11-20-04.............2 or 5 mi

Moderate hike on shared hiking/horse trails. After 14 inches of snow melted last week the trail was 6+ inches of mud and flowing water the entire 2 miles. Three creek crossings, that were dry in September, were over my boots, it took 30 minutes to find areas narrow enough to jump or shallow enough to cross.

Buffalo Rock...37 mi...........1.................2..............11- 20-04.............3/4 mi

Easy to moderate hike on shared hiking/horse trail. Again depending on the mud and water in trail and creek crossings

Edited by GEO.JOE
I only have 3. They are within 12 miles of my house. I've often wondered how you guys keep up with far off caches or how you have time to enjoy caching when you have a high number of hides. I guess some folks love hiding as much as I love finding and hunting. One guy in my area has something like 30 cache hides. God Bless Him. :rolleyes:

I have the time because I retired early.

I just have two caches... my first I can walk to from my house in just a minute or two, the other is just off of my son's elementary school property...Quality over quantity...I have friends who throw many many caches all over and then can't maintain them properly when something is wrong with them...I might not say it to their face :rolleyes: but it's a pain when you cache in an area where there are a lot of poorly planed badly maintained caches. IMHO anyway...

I have one active, which is 2 miles from my home. I'm planning one that is one mile from home and another that will be 2 miles from my camp.

If all goes well on my trip to India next week, I placing one near my office in Pune, India, this one will be 8,000 miles away. I will be able to check on this one, about once a year.

I have 24 caches. 23 are active.

Of those 23... The closest is .2 miles - as in, the end of the driveway.

Including the closest, all but four are under 8 miles.

Of the four remaining, two are 600 or so miles away, the other two are about 70 miles away.

The next three I have planned, two will be within a mile. The other one will be probably 10 or so away.