Winter Hiatus

Winter is great for caching.

The parks are generally less visited, and sometimes there's footprints that you can follow right to the cache!

A lot of people say snow caching takes too much preparation. I mean, you have to get dressed warmly, and you have to make sure you have dry clothes and gloves, and if you have children, you have to make sure they're dressed warmly. And you also have to realize wether or not there's snow where you're going:

(On one of my first cache attempts, we went up to one of the state forests on the ridge. I live in the valley. And of course, it had been sunny, slightly warmer, and snowless for several days in the valley. I got to the mountains and found 1-2.5 feet of snow, and I of course was in trail runners.)

But preparation for snow, is just as bad as preparing for really hot weather.

Forget about it, get out there, and CACHE.

Ummm... Hello people... Hiking through snow to caches will lead people DIRECTLY TO A CACHE HIDING SPOT.... I will cache in cold, but I will NOT under ANY circumstances go in snow, which would seriously compromise the integrity of a cache hide.

There are ways to avoid problems with that. In fact I think that makes snow caching even more fun. Making false trails and such can be amusing.

Ummm... Hello people... Hiking through snow to caches will lead people DIRECTLY TO A CACHE HIDING SPOT.... I will cache in cold, but I will NOT under ANY circumstances go in snow, which would seriously compromise the integrity of a cache hide.

I don't know about you Fly but by the time I find a cache there are plenty of assorted misleading tracks none of which lead directly to the cache. Besides that if the snow is that deep I tend to follow the animal paths/track as much as I can while bush wacking. On top of that present with lets say 3 chooses to approach the cache I will choose the worse, and then when I depart I will choose the worse of the remaining two.

Got a head of myself by replying to Fly before posting this. :)

I do not cache in the summer because I do not enjoy the heat. I will cache most of the fall, winter and into the spring. I only do a few caches on each outing and I do it for exercise and stress relief. If I am feeling well I may do several caches on a single trip. The biggest factor that will keep me from caching in the winter is how the GPSr will work at the colder temps. While the GPS will function at the lower temperatures (assuming that you batteries are good) when it gets to cold the LCD display will stop to work. But if you are close a compass and paced off distance should get you close while the GPSr rewarms inside my coat,

Besides that less muggles around in the cold weather.

Ummm... Hello people... Hiking through snow to caches will lead people DIRECTLY TO A CACHE HIDING SPOT....  I will cache in cold, but I will NOT under ANY circumstances go in snow, which would seriously compromise the integrity of a cache hide.

There are ways to avoid problems with that. In fact I think that makes snow caching even more fun. Making false trails and such can be amusing.

Yeah, there's all kinds of interesting ways to mislead people from the cache. I've read of a cacher carrying a waterbottle with yellow food coloring, that he dumped in the snow near the cache. It really distracted people from going after where they thought the cache was. Eventually people caught on though, and it became a fairly obvious marker as to where the cache really was.

Who said you'd find it in the first place you look?* :)

*if you don't you'll leave a LOT of bogus footprints.

My finding has gone down greatly since the bitter cold negative degree weather has come in. And if we do go out finding with my 2 boys (7&5) we plan extensively! This is the time for short easy finds for them. And the rest we save for the rest of the year. They have more fun doing other snow things, than hiking in it.

Apparently, you have'nt seen me caching in the snow. My tracks don't lead anywhere...directly. If someones curious enough to actually follow my swirlingn spinning backtracking, bushwhacking tracks...well...they deserve a find at the end. :D

Apparently, you have'nt seen me caching in the snow.  My tracks don't lead anywhere...directly.  If someones curious enough to actually follow my swirlingn spinning backtracking, bushwhacking tracks...well...they deserve a find at the end. :D

And you need snow to do that? LOL that is my normal mode just that the snow shows it, I ussually get a good laugh downloading and looking at the tracks. :D

Although I would describe myself as a summer person, I do not stop caching in the winter. It's -17C here today, windchill of about -30C give or take and I went out caching. Maybe its just addiction or mental illness, lol, but I don't quit when its cold and/or snowy. Fortune favors the Brave!!