Night Time Cacheing

i tried geocacheing in the dark last night for 6 hours - and found it much more enjoyable and in some ways much easier than doing it in daylight.

there was no-one around ( except for a couple of oldish ladies staggering down the path from the pub! )

i felt much safer wandering around in the bushes with a fat maglite at night - who's gonna approach someone doing that at night??!?

i felt that the darkness actually helped me concentrate towards my objective - giving me a minimal area of light meant that it had to be worked better to find the cache.

id be interested to hear what others with nightime experience think about this!

is it easier,or harder???

I enjoy night caching and have a 1million candle power torch to help me. Going at night suits some caches better than others but all the advantages you list are good ones. On the down side, if there's a view or cool feature you may miss it and end up thinking it's a rather dull cache when actually, its rather lovely.

A little off topic (sorry!) but other than my Missing Cacher cache, are there any others in the UK specifically designed to be done at night?

Dan & Pid are known as creatures of the night and have even been on TV talking about nightcaching. I've been lucky enough to be out with them on 'sorties' a few times (who'll forget our trip to Tingewick Wood?) and it's always been highly entertaining.

Off topic *again*, are there any caches in the dark in the UK? Obviously the GPS will not work under a million tons of rock, but it could get you to an opening and directions could take you from there... So, does anyone know of a cave-cache?

SP

Off topic *again*, are there any caches in the dark in the UK? Obviously the GPS will not work under a million tons of rock, but it could get you to an opening and directions could take you from there... So, does anyone know of a cave-cache?

Yep Pooter has a good one here apparently the spiders are huge in there, I'm glad that when I done it my torch was useless and I didn't see them. :rolleyes::laughing:

The cave-caches sound like fun! Thanks for the links folks, and thanks for the b'day wished Pete (HoB) - Back on topic, this is the time of year for night caching. It starts at about 5pm and you can fit several in on a 'school night' before you need to pack it in and go home to bed.

SP

P.S. Pete, I'm in talks with Dan on a cunning cache but there are some issues I think we'll need to work around...

My first cache was a night cache, great fun. Had to take the cache back to the car for examination as I had no torch with me.

Night caching = adrenaline rush.

I have done other night caches since and I have spooked myself by being in the woods in the dark. That point of self induced primeval fear where you want to run and dare not turn to look behind. As 6ft4 bloke I have to keep repeating to myself that I am probably what most people would fear to meet in the dark woods. Strange really as I have regularly bivved in woodlands with minimal concerns. It may have something to do with being in a strange area that one hasn't previously visited in daylight.

I ran back to the car if truth be known

Stalked by the yellow eyed BEAST of Chippenham

Deego ... Pyoung1s ... call yourselves night time cachers?? ... you guys are amateurs at the game :rolleyes:

My Angela has found many caches in the pitch dark with iffy co-ords and using a clue description which was nothing like the actual circumstances of the hiding place (i.e. under a bush when it was under some stones!!).

All with no torch and under pressing time restrictions in order to catch the last ferry to the mainland!

She is available for hire!...but I suspect you guys just could not afford her :ph34r::rolleyes::laughing:

Ullium.

I did one recently that ends up in a dark dank underground location full of HUGE shiny spiders (somehow more creepy than cuddly hairy ones). I won't ruin the fun for anybody else by saying which one it was.

I have got into night caching by neccessity, it's just dark when I have time to cache, and I am getting more into it. One or two caches I think would be very easy in the light because you would be able to see the geocachers superhighway and obvious ends of the neatly broken off uniform length sticks on top of the cache :laughing: and the torch beam does tend to focus you in one spot.

However some of them are much much better in the dark, and some of Dan and Pids would be wasted in the light. Missing Cacher is just great!!! I imagine on a warm clear summers night with no mud, it would be even nicer!

I have a cunning plan for a cache which HAS to be done in the dark and Giav suggested something incredibly complicated on a similar theme to me recently.

Happy birthday for yesterday SP!

Hunter S.Thompson would have been proud!

Hmm... I didn't have The Good Doctor in mind but, yes, perhaps you are right - a couple of baseball references and some extra commas, and it's HST to the life. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should have a "Cache logs in the literary style of..." topic. T'would make a change from "WAAS"....

Yes I read your log WLW and I thought it was very amusing also and the point about it always appearing to take longer to cover an expected distance in the dark is one I have noticed noticed myself :laughing:

I must admit though I haven't read anything of 'Hunter S.Thompson' so I must take that point on trust :ph34r:

Also, I haven't noticed too many logs on caches in style of 'WAAS' ???

Unless you were talking about forum logs?? Of which there is only one thread on this forum in comparison to others which for the most part are just for amusement and not to discuss what could be THE most important event concerning both geocaching and GPSr users in general :rolleyes:

Ullium.

I don't cache in the dark if I can help it, but the short days up North make avoiding it very difficult! However, anyone who likes dark places may want to do Well 'Ard, a marathon in the Trossachs forests, part of which involves entering a long completely dark tunnel in a Victorian artifact. I didn't go in, sent my son in instead. All I could hear echoing out from the tunnel was 'You should see the size of these spiders!"

And they were big...FoF log

myself and the transformers got pulled by wiltshire constabulary last night - having just come out of the woods at 1.45am!

managed to talk our way out of what could have been a tricky situation somehow!!

they originally thought we might be burglars and also thought we'd been out shooting! (though i think they soon realised we sounded too odd to be out at night with guns!)

occupational hazard i suppose!!

ah well! lovely ladies - eventually let me take a snap of them with a newly found travel bug! B)

02eff6c6-e493-4a58-879d-2788818fae4c.jpg

Edited by silverspoon
myself and the transformers got pulled by wiltshire constabulary last night - having just come out of the woods at 1.45am!

managed to talk our way out of what could have been a tricky situation somehow!!

they originally thought we might be burglars and also thought we'd been out shooting! (though i think they soon realised we sounded too odd to be out at night with guns!)

occupational hazard i suppose!!

ah well! lovely ladies - eventually let me take a snap of them with a newly found travel bug! B)

Looks like the tongue might also be 'silver' :laughing:

Ullium.

Night caching is great fun but you do need a good torch (or three). I've been trying to get some firetacks to make a night cache here, but they cost a fortune to post from the states and I've not been able to get them in local stores in the uk or in the US when I've been there. Having said that, I don't know any areas near here where it would be ok to flash your torch around until you see a reflection without attracting attention from the neighbours...

Night caching is great fun but you do need a good torch (or three). I've been trying to get some firetacks to make a night cache

I've used this tape cut up and glued onto to the top of large map pins to mark a trail, quite effective in a forest, not for caching just something nocturnal!

Snaik

Don't worry Ollies, that lovely cache is not too far from the Crhistmas Drinkies event, so I am sure you can find some nice people to go with you to pull you out of swamps and holes!

Blatant advertising aside....

I would like to design a cache which, if not HAS to be done in the dark, then at least will confer a significant advantage if you do it in the dark. The closest one I have seen so far is Simply Paul's "Missing Cacher", although I missed the nocturnal clue myself. I have some ideas which although possibly not original, for obvious reasons I will not divulge here.

There are some near me which are in pretty dark places anyway, such as 'Devils Brdige' so that even in the daytime there is not much light, so you get that full scary night time caching experience.

I wonder if we could organise a mini-bus trip from Aylesbury(ish) to Lincolnshire, to visit a certain scary church? Hmmmm.

Edited by Alibags

my wife and i started geocaching in september and i would say out of our 60 or 70 finds(locationless not included) maybe 7 of them were done during the day. much more exciting, dangerous,less muggles. only downfall is i could of had a new house built with the money we spend on batteries.im building a solar recharger for my trunk which should resolve that. this one was the best out of em all chandler estate nightmare