Locationless Caches

kbootb

Although not a great lover of anything other than 'real' and fairly large caches... after all that it what this sport is supposed to be about... I have an idea for a locationless cache.

However, I have not idea how to create one. I looked at the form for registering a cache this did not have locationless as an option. Are these no longer possible to create? Or is there a different process?

Locationlesses can be fun and quite satisfying, but I entirely understand why some regard them as not true geocaches. Afetr all, there is no cache and for many of them, such as a yellow Jeep or a hippy microbus or a fire engine, there is no geographical component either.

Perhaps they will gain in popularity if a suitable snappy name (as appropriate as the word "geocaching" is for conventional caches) can be thought up.

Any ideas?

They can be a great test of observational skills and it will be nice if there's a resurgence in their numbers.

Locationlesses can be fun and quite satisfying, but I entirely understand why some regard them as not true geocaches. Afetr all, there is no cache and for many of them, such as a yellow Jeep or a hippy microbus or a fire engine, there is no geographical component either.

Perhaps they will gain in popularity if a suitable snappy name (as appropriate as the word "geocaching" is for conventional caches) can be thought up.

Any ideas?

They can be a great test of observational skills and it will be nice if there's a resurgence in their numbers.

I personally steer clear of locationless as mostly they have no appeal for me in general because one can't plan a day out locationless searching....well I suppose you could but not in the same way as geocaching! Wandering about aimlessly in the hope of spotting a locationless is not my idea of a day out! :yikes:

I admit though one or two locationless are somewhat unique and involve a bit of thought and navigation skills....if there were more of those I wouldn't be adverse to bagging those particular ones. :D

Whether or not it was given another tittle...snappy or not....I really don't think would affect how cachers feel about this type of cache!? Like most things in life...it either appeals to one or it doesn't....depending on the individual person....and for reasons I would not like to expand on within this forum! <_<

Also, the appeal in geocaching for me is the prospect of being taken to specific geographical spots or areas of beauty or interest and very much the exercise involved! Whether or not there is a box of swaps at the end of it ... for me anyway....is entirely incidental....the logbook would be enough for me....and I suspect the vast majority of 'adult' geocachers feel the same !?

This is why I can see the attraction of Trig Pointing and at some point in the future I will go after trig points for the fun and exercise.... even though I feel it is a very different sport. It looks like Locationless caches might be separated out into it's own sport as well now...and I think this makes perfect sense :D

This is just my take on the subject....I realise not everyone will agree with me!?

Ullium.

We love locationless caches .

Once the easy local to where one lives have been logged there are plenty of research oportunities to be had and whole days and even mini breaks planned to get the required photos .We recently had a few days in Weston super Mare for the nearest unlogged "octupus house"we knew of ,a cave ,resorvoir ,cheese factory and a waterfall for the journey home .We fitted in a few traditional caches as well !

I had a couple of ideas for locationless ones of our own .One was"Millenium Beacons " the other was "Doing Places"(there is a SWAY and TIP-TOE in Hampshire ,guess there must be others somewhere. )

Guess the locationless cache pages use a lot of .....?.(dont know what the technical words are ) but logging four or five locationless finds with several photos can take more than three hours ,even with broadband ,and scanning for previous logged features can while away a weeks worth of rainy days.

I have done a 9 locationless caches in the last couple of months, and I agree, it is different to doing caches.

That does not mean they shouldn't exist, "a change is as good as a rest" but I do feel that if they were not very carefully controlled they would proliferate to the extent that they would cease to have value. Some people may say they already have.

Ulliums point is valid - he likes to walk somewhere, you can't stroll around looking for a totem pole. The skill with these, if it is a skill, is to remember what is on the list and carry your GPS and camera with you.

My feeling is that it is OK the way it is, a relatively small number of locationless's for a variation. To allow more locationless caches would either mean wild proliferation or an 'impossible to draw up' set of guidelines.

Oh, the topic - you can't create them anymore I don't think - the current list were the ones that made it before the rule was invented and they were allowed, and the number is diminishing as some become archived.

It was a fair walk to Hurst Castle for a "fort ",Old Harry Rocks for a "natural arch" ,and we had a two and a half hour walk in Verwoods'plantations to what prooved to be former sites or "fire lookout "towers (latest edition of explorer map shows them to be still there ,but they are not !)

As has been said before - variety is of the essence of Geocaching and an occasional locationless gives me some fun. Last week I did the Quins locationless and found myself exploring a delightful nature reserve not so far from home on an exercise just like Confluencing.

I can't say I wander around hoping to drop on a locationless - rather I find one in the index and then plan how I might match it.

I've done 31 locationless caches, although none for a while. Like Ullium, I first thought that they were a bit too effortless, and some certainly are. However, many are pretty challenging.

Like others, I think that they should be categorised and counted in a different way -not unlike trigpointing. In a sense they are like cache hiding where you search for a location first, then log it's co-ords then get it online.

I'm unhappy that the 31 locationless caches I've done are included in my total, and I always mentally discount them.

Having said that, if we go back to first principles, and accept that geocaching is all about getting out into the landscape and getting your eyes opened to places you wouldn't normally see, then locationless caches certainly fit the bill. (Pun fully intended Ullium!!)

One of my favourites was Fading Ads and I still look for ghosts on walls gable ends wherever I go.

I think I conceded that there are some locationless caches which are that bit different....but consider for a moment....if the normal type of location cache did not exist...and it only was composed of locationless caches....would it be so popular?

I mean would we all (as a special exercise like normal geocaching) be driving or walking about the country looking out for something to twig (and here also the pun is intended!!) in our memories for a match to a locationless??

Although I think it might still survive as a bit of added interest for us while going about our normal lives and travelling to new places! I don't think it would be anything like as popular....and for most probably not worth the purchase price of a GPSr !?

I don't think that this observation applies to Trig Pointing btw....I feel it could stand on it's own even without the normal geocaching endeavour!

Hence...IMO this is a good argument for locationless caching having it's own niche to allow it's followers to commune with each other in their own special environment!

Something like the Trig Pointers have at the moment....only most of them seem to prefer this forum. :yikes::D:D:D

(sorry! I couldn't resist that <_< )

Ullium.

We were put off locationless by our first which was what is the name of the guest house you can see as you get off the ferry. We did not bother to log. The kids like finding things and locationless do not fit into this category. Will probably log one eventually (probably snowdon summit) just to get one in out finds list. Just not our thing, however some people love em as said above variety and change are good for you especially if suffering from burnout.

I have enjoyed all the loccationless caches that I have done. They are on the site and are fair game :yikes: But think they need to be very selective IF they allowed more. I am at the moment trying to find a famous persons grave locally. The one I found (and it took a while) had already been used. I have spent more time working on this cache, than any other cache I have done.

I have also made trips to log things I knew were there ie “mans best friend” involved a 6 mile walk over the Roaches in the Peak District.

But back on topic I cant see them ever being reintroduced, this will not make me sad, but I will enjoy the ones that are left <_<

We were put off locationless by our first which was what is the name of the guest house you can see as you get off the ferry. We did not bother to log. The kids like finding things and locationless do not fit into this category. Will probably log one eventually (probably snowdon summit) just to get one in out finds list. Just not our thing, however some people love em as said above variety and change are good for you especially if suffering from burnout.

I may be wrong but I think you may have got Locationless confused with Virtual??

I personally steer clear of locationless as mostly they have no appeal for me in general because one can't plan a day out locationless searching....well I suppose you could but not in the same way as geocaching! Wandering about aimlessly in the hope of spotting a locationless is not my idea of a day out! :yikes:

I agree that locationless you have to like and see the point of doing them.

I have to disagree with the above point. I have spent a few days were I have gone out only to get Locationless. To do this I certainly didn't just leave my house and hope I would come across them. I actually had to do some homework finding the whereabouts of them, then go out and actually locate them, usually using a map. Which is the exact same way that I go out to find a regular cache, I usually only rely on my GPS once i'm within about 100 metres of a regular cache. I do believe whilst we were walking to Wee Jock, we had this discussion and I made this point, which at the time you did agree with me.

Although I will admit that I have got Locationless that I have came across, mostly whilst out caching, I believe that this makes me more aware of my surroundings, whilst out and about, making the fact of being out more enjoyable as I am seeing things that I would have just walked past before. I have been to places in Edinburgh that I never knew existed.

There are a few Locationless that take a while to put together and complete, some also make you get in touch with other people from around the world, in order to complete them. Yet again broadening your horizons.

I also find them more fullfilling than a Virtual or Webcam cache, (which I have done and will continue to do) both of which don't have log books and you have to prove to the owner that you have been there. Funnily enough just like a Locationless!!

All in all though, they aren't everyone's cup of tea, and each to their own <_<

I have to disagree with the above point. I have spent a few days were I have gone out only to get Locationless. To do this I certainly didn't just leave my house and hope I would come across them. I actually had to do some homework finding the whereabouts of them, then go out and actually locate them, usually using a map. Which is the exact same way that I go out to find a regular cache, I usually only rely on my GPS once i'm within about 100 metres of a regular cache. I do believe whilst we were walking to Wee Jock, we had this discussion and I made this point, which at the time you did agree with me.

I think you have cobbled two of my statements together there HH :yikes:

...one can't plan a day out locationless searching....well I suppose you could but not in the same way as geocaching!

was an admission that indeed you could plan a locationless trip...though not in the same way!!!

Wandering about aimlessly in the hope of spotting a locationless is not my idea of a day out! 

was an entirely different sentence and meant to convey the alternative to planning a day out locationless caching :D

So I take it then that you agree with my more recent post :D .....

I think I conceded that there are some locationless caches which are that bit different....but consider for a moment....if the normal type of location cache did not exist...and it only was composed of locationless caches....would it be so popular?

I mean would we all (as a special exercise like normal geocaching) be driving or walking about the country looking out for something to twig (and here also the pun is intended!!) in our memories for a match to a locationless??

Although I think it might still survive as a bit of added interest for us while going about our normal lives and travelling to new places! I don't think it would be anything like as popular....and for most probably not worth the purchase price of a GPSr !?

I don't think that this observation applies to Trig Pointing btw....I feel it could stand on it's own even without the normal geocaching endeavour!

:D<_<:D:):D

Ullium.

I think you have cobbled two of my statements together there HH :yikes:

I think you are being unfair saying that I have cobbled your statement together.

I think it is difficult to differentiate two statements that are made in the same paragraph and only seperated by an exlamation mark.

So I take it then that you agree with my more recent post

Perhaps I am missing something, but I can't see how you came to the conclusion that I agree with your post.

You are correct however, but it is part of a larger game and doesn't exist on it's own. Like the rest of the cache types, it has came about after the initial concept.

I do agree that trigpointing will always stand on it's own. I have been doing this for years, it's just that I have finally found somewhere to log my trigs. Let's face it though trigpoints is another thread isn't it??

P.S. I have done this in a bit of a hurry so I may have got one or two things wrong <_<:D

Thanks for that. As the creator of the thread I now have the answers I wanted. As I said at the top, not over keen on them myself but I thought I had a really good idea.

I'll just have to hang on and hope they come back to life in one form or another.

I think that they widen someone's choice especially as up here in the north east of scotland there are fewer caches on the whole. I have gone through the locationless caches and with out having to travel to far or take our 19 month old out of the car every time I stop I can do a few of these. Also as a lot of the caches further west from us need walking boots and are not buggy friendly this at least helps my sense of achievement on keeping up with others.

I think that it's up to the individual as i also know that some cachers don't agree with virtuals either.

What's one man's meat is anothers poison as they say. <_<

I think you are being unfair saying that I have cobbled your statement together.

I think it is difficult to differentiate two statements that are made in the same paragraph and only seperated by an exlamation mark.

Nope .... HH...I don't think I am being unfair ....

.... as geocaching! Wandering about....

the exclamation mark is also a period denoting the end of a sentence....notice that the next word starts with a capital letter...that usually gives the clue to the start of a completely new sentence....well it did in my Govan School...so where is the difficulty to differentiate between the two statements?? <_<:D:D

Yes...perhaps I should have made my meaning more clear....but honestly I thought it was clear enough :yikes:

My other comment was just a leg pull...as it appeared you ignored that one because maybe there were too many statements there that were difficult to refute ... and searched for another point to pick holes in....unfortunately you didn't choose wisely :D:D:D:)

Ullium.

the exclamation mark is also a period denoting the end of a sentence....notice that the next word starts with a capital letter...that usually gives the clue to the start of a completely new sentence....well it did in my Govan School...so where is the difficulty to differentiate between the two statements?? :D:D:lol:

Thankyou Ullium for the English lesson, you know I didn't even know that cheers ;)

Perhaps you can explain what the '....' in the middle of all of your sentences are For? As I never got taught these either at school. I presume they don't mean the end of a sentence, as you haven't started with the capital letter that you were talking about.

Also shouldn't the paragraph also start with a capital letter? Are you sure they taught you correctly at Govan?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No really there should be enough of this as it is dragging the thread of off topic ;)

I agree that locationless you have to like and see the point of doing them.

I have spent a few days where I have gone out only to get Locationless. To do this I certainly didn't just leave my house and hope I would come across them. I actually had to do some homework finding the whereabouts of them, then go out and actually locate them, usually using a map. Which is the exact same way that I go out to find a regular cache, I usually only rely on my GPS once I'm within about 100 metres of a regular cache.

Although I will admit that I have got Locationless that I have came across, mostly whilst out caching, I believe that this makes me more aware of my surroundings, whilst out and about, making the fact of being out more enjoyable as I am seeing things that I would have just walked past before. I have been to places in Edinburgh that I never knew existed.

There are a few Locationless that take a while to put together and complete, some also make you get in touch with other people from around the world, in order to complete them. Yet again broadening your horizons.

All in all though, they aren't everyone's cup of tea, and each to their own

I entirely agree with HH's point(s) about locationlesses.

They add to the fun of the sport/game/pastime of geocaching despite the fact that they are not caches and the geo aspect is trivially incidental.

They are fun: they just aren't caches. That's all.

I think they are a wonderful adjunct to geocaching and I hope that the association remains alive and close.

Kitty Hawk....as any honest Govanite will admit freelly....grammer and spelling were perhaps not high on our achievement list :lol::D:lol:

Personally when typing a forum entry I use any means I can to attempt to make certain my true message gets understood !!

The written word is a very poor means of communication when compared with face to face communication.....so I take liberties I admit....but all in the name of attempting to communicate that bit clearer! :lol:

And the reason I use '.....' instead of a plain comma... is to force a pause...because what I have found in the past is....that peeps are apt to miss a comma and read quickly on and perhaps get the wrong message!

Now that could be most unfortunate on any forum.....but more especially on this one!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ullium.

Locationless caches are, as said above, one of these things that do polarise geocachers.

Someone mentioned that there are geocachers that don't hunt virtuals (and micro's). Personally I think that not going for these two means you miss out on some good caches.

I can see the side of geocachers who feel that locationless caches are an interesting aspect of regular geocaching, and while I personally have logged one or two locationless caches which I thought were interesting, I really don't think that taking a photo of each waterfall you see (for example) and claiming a find each time is the right thing to do.

I think that a good way to go would be that the locationless stuff is moved to an area within the site where stats are seperate and where new and improved locationless caches can be posted. But I see them as a seperate entity to physical/virtual geocaching.

Ullium,

The written word is a very poor means of communication when compared with face to face communication

Fully agree, I think that's why these forums get a bit heated sometimes, I'm sure than no-one intends that to happen.

And the reason I use '.....' instead of a plain comma... is to force a pause...because

Actually I was grateful for these, I have asthma so any chance for a few extra breaths is welcome

Adrian

I really don't think that taking a photo of each waterfall you see (for example) and claiming a find each time is the right thing to do.

I know I shouldn't, but I feel I need to point out that normal locationless rules are that a 'waterfall' can only be logged once and one cacher can only log one 'waterfall'.

Ullium,

The written word is a very poor means of communication when compared with face to face communication

Fully agree, I think that's why these forums get a bit heated sometimes, I'm sure than no-one intends that to happen.

And the reason I use '.....' instead of a plain comma... is to force a pause...because

Actually I was grateful for these, I have asthma so any chance for a few extra breaths is welcome

Adrian

Thanks Kitty Hawk for that understanding post (I don't get too many) :yikes:

I forgot to add that using the '....' instead on the normal comma also helps to split up the text (along with liberal paragraph use) for easier reading for those who like myself are visually challenged.

:yikes::laughing::rolleyes::anicute::ph34r:

Ullium.

and scanning for previous logged features can while away a weeks worth of rainy days.

Roolku gave me this tip.

Open up the log page and ensure you have all logs showing, then go to your edit options at the top of your browser page. Select find on this page or anything like that, type in a word that you know that would have had to have been used for your find, such as the location name. Select find. If the word has been logged it will find it. :):)

Hope that makes sense?

Just a thought does Ullium qualify as Locationless Cache

:D  :)  :D

Edited to remove the corner

If I was Snaik....I would have been well bagged by now :D

However, if I don't make a start on some long standing home repairs....I might well become locationless....not because of the house collapsing....but because Angela will have booted me out into the street :):D:)

Ullium.

editted tp correct Govanite grammer :)

Edited by Ullium
and scanning for previous logged features can while away a weeks worth of rainy days.

Roolku gave me this tip.

Open up the log page and ensure you have all logs showing, then go to your edit options at the top of your browser page. Select find on this page or anything like that, type in a word that you know that would have had to have been used for your find, such as the location name. Select find. If the word has been logged it will find it. :):)

Hope that makes sense?

Now I feel a right numpty, but on just this one thread I've learnt 2 things so I'm less of a numpty than I was :D