Flashlight Help Wanted

PNWWizard

I'd like to get a small but bright flashlight for geocaching. Some time ago there was a discussion of flashlights here, but as I recall it got pretty technical. The only thing I know about flashlights is that you put batteries in, press a button and a light comes on! :lol:

So does anyone have a suggestion for a good flashlight that won't require me to take out a second mortgage?

The Mini Mag is a good all around flashlight. Doesn't take up too much space and it's there in a pinch. The version that uses AA batteries is the one you want. The spare bulb in the base is a bonus.

There are now small LED lights that will break the bank and work on a goofy sized Lithium battery. They are cool but not really better in my book.

There are probably some tactical lights that will outdo the Mini Mag, they will cost you more but maybe not enough more to be a deal breaker. Someone else will have to tell you about them though. I just know they exist.

The 4AA Responder is a cheap and VERY good flashlight. It is on par with a 4D Maglight for brightness and beam pattern. It fits in your pocket when you need it out of the way or hides in a pack, it's light, and takes regular AA batteries. I got one for my wife for her work and she loves it.

Another one I got is 3C Twin Task. It's larger and more expensive, but has a variable output so I can jut use 3 of the LEDs to walk in and out of the woods. Then I crank it up to hunt the cache. The xenon high beam is not a mini Sun, but it works and doesn't break the bank.

While I do have a 4D Maglite that keep in the truck, I also have some cheapo 6v lantern lamp and use it for caching sometimes--and it stands up. Both are nice and bright.

If you're looking for a cheap mini-Sun, try a Scorpion. Bad news is the CR123 lithium batteries it consumes. Not high end like the Surefires, but for what we're using it for? Plus, you won't be boo-hooing nearly as hard when you lose it.

If I where on a limited budget and had to choose one light, it would be the 4AA Responder.

Those links above go to the folks I buy my stuff from. I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than as a customer.

Hope this helps.

After using a number of Surefire lights I would never go back to a Gag-lite.

I use a Surefire L4 with a McE2s Duel Switch daily.

The Switch is custom made and not a surefire part.

Surefire

Edited to add: The CR123 batteries can be found online for as little as $1 each including shipping.

With the duel switch I can get up to 15 hours of use on low with one set of battiers.

The L4 is also able to take third party lith-ion rechargeable batteries.

Even on low the L4 is twice as bright as any AA mag-lite and the LED puts out a very white light.

Edited by Milbank

I have a 3 D-cell flashlight for caves and such, but I always have a small LED light in my pocket, made by ARC.

It is REALLY bright and I use it all the time. It is only a couple of inches long, but is a good inch in diameter. I use it to search hollow logs, in rock crevices, when the lights go out, etc.

The lithium cells last forever. I bought a set of 5 spares and am still using the one the light came with.

And I bought an adapter to use 2 AA just in case.

I heartily recommend a good quality LED. Expensive but very worth it.

My primary light is a Streamlight ProPolymer 4-AA LED ($20 Costco). For backup, I always carry a 1-AA LED in my pocket.

I'm sold on LED's and prefer them over the Maglites I used to carry. The light output is just as good and they burn far longer on a set of batteries. Plus, you'll never need to replace a burned out bulb again. So in the long run, LED's are far more economical.

My next purchase will be an LED headlamp.

tm

After using a number of Surefire lights I would never go back to a Gag-lite.

I use a Surefire L4 with a McE2s Duel Switch daily.

The Switch is custom made and not a surefire part.

Surefire

Edited to add: The CR123 batteries can be found online for as little as $1 each including shipping.

With the duel switch I can get up to 15 hours of use on low with one set of battiers.

The L4 is also able to take third party lith-ion rechargeable batteries.

Even on low the L4 is twice as bright as any AA mag-lite and the LED puts out a very white light.

Ouch. 160 bucks.

For what it's worth the LED's I've seen are the Inova's. Ok lights but I've learned I like the adustable beam on the Mag's. The Inovas put out a diffuse light.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I found that for night hiking, I need two types of light:

1. a directional flood, i.e. a light with significant sidespill that illuminates the immediate area and maybe about 15 feet ahead from where I'm walking so that I can see where I am and how the trail looks in front of me.

2. a very focused light for long distances so that I can explore more distant objects, e.g. to identify the source of strange noises from the forest, etc. :lol: This provides a great sense of safety. Also needed for night caches where there is a trail of reflective markers.

After some tedious research, I realized that there is no single flashlight that performs well enough for both tasks, i.e. two flashlights are needed. Other requirements were:

a. LED for long battery life (3-4 hours minimum), never needing replacement

b. cheap, commonly available batteries (no 123As, please)

c. no headlamps. I like to be able to direct the light with my hand as opposed to moving my head, and the light should be close to the ground I want to illuminate. Also, in fog headlamps are useless.

d. regulation: I want constant brightness over the life of the battery

e. don't wanna pay $100+ for some luxury light

Based on this, my solution is:

for purpose 1: Dorcy 2C 8-LED light ($30 from Target, sometimes discounted to $20). Provides great, constant brightness for about 6-7 hours. Review

dorcy_2c8led_ruler.jpg

for purpose 2: Pelican 2020 Sabrelite LED (got it for $37 shipped on e-bay). Works with 3 C batteries, has Luxeon Star LED. Provides extremely bright, focused spot with constant brightness for about 3.5 hours. Review

pelican_2020_ruler.jpg

So now I'm using these two lights and they work quite well. Both work with C batteries, so there's only one type of battery to buy.

Besides, I always carry a Dorcy 1AAA 1-LED light ($6 from Wal-Mart) in my pocket, which is absolutely the best buy in pocket/keychain sized, everyday-carry small flashlights. Provides about 4 hours of nearly constant brightness, not really enough for night hiking but great for close-up work (held in mouth), e.g. to examine the contents of a cache.

Review

dorcy_aaa_ruler.jpg

If you're looking for more experienced, expert advise on flashlights, probably can't do better than Flashlight Reviews for comparisons and Candlepower Forums for getting questions answered by folks who know their stuff.

Hope this helps.

Wow, I don't think I can get any more great info than I got here <grin>!! Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I wrote down several names, and I'll look for one this weekend. :blink:

I stumbled upon a Browning 10mm Ballistic Lite at a sports store on closeout, its a two AAA lite waterproof to real deep. Its is real bright and a nice focused beam. It simply blows away AA Mag-Lites and is probably equivalent to a two D cell Mag Lite. It comes with battreies, red and other color lenses and spare bulb module. Got mine for about $7 but that was a closeout deal. Its worth a lot more.

My "Day Job" happens to take place at night, so out of necessity, I have learned a thing or two about flashlights. The best flashlights are made by: Surefire, Streamlight, and Pelican. These lights do not come cheap, but nothing else compares. My latest light for back up duty use is a Pelican 2330 M6 LED. It is slightly bigger than a mini-mag light and uses an extra briight LED. The run time is amazing. I carry this on my duty belt so that I always have a flashlight on my person. If you do your homework you can find the disposable lithium batteries pretty cheap. If it is a light that you will be constantly using, then go with a rechargeable version of whatever light you decide on. Cheap lights will let you down when you need them. If you absolutely MUST see in the dark, then do what cave divers do and carry 3 lights. That is what I do when I work night shift. Depending upon your exact needs, you can find a high quality flashliight for about $50 and up. If you want more information, feel free to contact me by email. DZDIVER.

I just picked up a Geber LX 3.0 Luxeon III LED light which is Awsome

it's about $40-$50, very bright with a good hot spot ,and a good corona.

it runs on 3 AA's and is a bit brighter and runs longer on the NiMH rechargeables due to there lower internal resistance.

I have about 4 hours on the batts and it has not dimmed yet. So I would expect good light for 8-10 hours with decent-emergency light for another 10+ hours.

and a Gerber Infinity ultra in white and red as back up lights all run on AA's

they are selling a lot of both lights to Troops going to Iraq and they have gotten little problems.

if you then need an all out really bright light ad a brinkman Max fire for $20 from wallmart. It is tiny , cheap and runs on the 123 which can be had for $.75 -$1 each.

Mini Mag's are junk unless you put an LED module in them then they turn into gold.

Deff check out www.Candlepowerforums.com (if you join and poke around a bit you can get some killer deals for the above lights.

I found that for night hiking, I need two types of light:

1. a directional flood, i.e. a light with significant sidespill that illuminates the immediate area and maybe about 15 feet ahead from where I'm walking so that I can see where I am and how the trail looks in front of me.

2. a very focused light for long distances so that I can explore more distant objects, e.g. to identify the source of strange noises from the forest, etc. ;) This provides a great sense of safety. Also needed for night caches where there is a trail of reflective markers.

well, i use the petzel myo 3 (sorry for any spellings)

quite a niftey tourch

it allows you to have LED tourch on constantly without batteries worries and then use the big bright one to pic out stuff...

but yes the AA maglight is a good tourch and have used mine on many occasions, although head tourches are great for walking/camping they can be hard to point in small places. Although in Robert Dyses (spellings again :anibad:) i managed to pick up 2 aluminium LED tourches for £10. The size of the maglight AA and the small AAA one and although they aren't as bright they are pretty good!

hope i am of help

Edited by harry_nerdo
I stumbled upon a Browning 10mm Ballistic Lite at a sports store on closeout, its  a two AAA lite waterproof to real deep. Its is real bright and a nice focused beam. It simply blows away AA Mag-Lites and is probably equivalent to a two D cell Mag Lite. It comes with battreies, red and other color lenses and spare bulb module. Got mine for about $7 but that was a closeout deal. Its worth a lot more.

That sounds like a great deal! I'll keep my eyes open for one of those, too.

"Just remember what ever you get you have to carry spare batteries, might be wise to find a light that uses batteries you already carry instead of having to carry around bunch of different size batteries."

Ah yes, good point!!

LED the lights are the best but can be very expensive. A single cell LED costs twenty or more dollars. What I did is I built my own LED light out of a few radio shack parts and a film canister. Total cost was about five dollars . Do a quick search online and you can find plans. A two pack of white LEDs at radio shack will cost five to $6.00 . I bought a pack of twenty on Ebay for 1¢ (postage however was $5.00).

I have four flashlights.

1. For bright light in very dark areas I have a 12V large flashlight about $7 including the battery.

2. MiniMag Light Nice all around

3. LED headlight - Don't really use this much. $15

4. AutoLite LED seat belt light $7 has a button to switch between 2 LED's and 4 LED's. 3 AAA batteries.

The Surefire G2 Nitrolon has 65 lumes and is only about 4" long.  Great little light.  I own several.  For about 34$ you can't beat it.

Same here......They are as bright as the much more exspensive models but are affordable.....Surefire G2 is what I recommend.I have two and use them alot

Edited by trail hound

Hey I'm not a belt and suspenders type of guy, but I will say this: If you are walking around out in the woods in the dark, I would suggest the following. For your primary light, I would buy the brightest light that you can afford. I'm not suggesting that you break your budget, but think about it. If you are caching somewhere that you aren't familiar, it is not unreasonable to think that you may walk off an embankment or fall into a ditch. That's the common sense part of this. Now for the part that you may not have thought about: "The Back Up Flashlight." It doesn't have to be a light saber, but if you are in a pitch black environment and your light dies or you drop it and the bulb breaks, you are screwed. I had that very thing happen to me some years ago when I was working as a security guard in a shipyard. I went aboard a ship that was actually being cut up for scrap, so there was no power. I dropped my light and it blinked out. I wandered around in the dark for over an hour before I finally bumped into a stairwell that got me topside. I never went aboard a vessel again without a backup light. Even a little penlight may save your bacon. I don't cache in the dark, so it isn't much of a concern for me these days, but I do carry a small LED flashlight anyway. It has 3 LED's and runs on one AA battery for some outragiously long period of time. I've had it for some months and have used it quite a bit, and haven't changed the battery yet. Another nice thing about the LED lights, is that the bulbs grow dim VERY gradually. Most incandescent bulbs, even the rechargeable lights, they are good, they are good and then all of a sudden they drop dead. Maybe what I'm trying to say in all this rambling, is get a good quality "bright" work light if you need one, but get a small LED as a backup. Good Luck. :lol:

My suggestion is that you get yourself the Brinkman QBEAM max million rechargable flashlight.

This badboy delivers a retina burning 1 million candle power of light.

Want to pour some light on a subject that is 200 meters away or just light up a cache , well it will do both.

Ever drive down a road and some idiot coming the other way blinds you by not dimming his high beams. Use my method and he'll think twice next time he decides that he doesnt need to dim them.

Roll down your windows and point the 1 million candle power at him. Youll be amazed at how quickly he turns his high beams off.

It also works on idiots driving behind you with high beams on. You can blind him on your own but I recommend getting your passenger to do the deed if you have one. Open your window, point the 1 million candle power light at the offending subject then turn it on. Amazingly enough the rude offender will more than likely turn his high beams off. If he doesnt then I suggest that you pull over and let him pass you. Then get on his a** and shine your Qbeam at him from behind.

This is a good all around light that should last you for years. To give you an idea of how bright the light is,, go to your nearest airport and try to get in line with large jet liners as they are landing. Notice the how bright the headlight are. Well thats 1 million candle power.

Great for geocaching and also great for all around flashlight needs.