If A Cache Description Says........

Pharisee

If the cache sheet for a 5/5 Puzzle / Mystery cache tells you that it's highly unlikely you'll complete the cache in a single trip, or even two and that it will mean travelling a total of around 100 miles..... Would you bother to start it considering all the work involved for just a single 'find'?

Yep...I would certainly be attracted to a single adventure cache which maybe meant activity over more than one day...or travelling a fair distance!

At the moment (and I suspect I am not alone) to get to my nearest unfound and apparently achieveable caches means a round trip of near enough a hundred miles!

There are a few just slightly closer but not for someone with a bad back and a gammy leg :P

Ullium.

We'd definitely like to attempt it... We do love a good challenge!

Working that little bit harder to get a cache only makes it that much sweeter when you finally get your grubby paws on it! Dan's "The Ring" cache was one of our favourite caches and that was a long haul cache (took a week, on and off)!

Look forward to whatever youre thinking.

House Of Boo

If the cache sheet for a 5/5 Puzzle / Mystery cache tells you that it's highly unlikely you'll complete the cache in a single trip, or even two and that it will mean travelling a total of around 100 miles..... Would you bother to start it considering all the work involved for just a single 'find'?

Of course. But I'd save it for a special 400th, 500th (landmark) cache etc. I need to keep a 5/5 for my 500th, which should happen next spring maybe?

I don't see anything at all wrong with co-ordinates in TBs.

But then No 150 for me was FTF on Missing in Lancashire (600 mile round trip from London) and No. 200 was Interception Bug!

But then, travelling long distances to gtrab a cache or TB doesn't scare me off either - I did Alchemy Quest in two trips out of London.

Bob Aldridge

YES the challenge and the hunt is becoming more important for us. Carrunthill is a 5/5 that it took us all day not to get to. But the experience was great. and could the trip out be combined with other nearby or on route caches ?.

I've been thinking about this cache, it does need a little consideration.

Obviously, a 5/5, 11-mile hike taking 6-7 hours is a lot for one cache, although you do

bag one of the Four Peaks (of Britain and Ireland).

So, what I'm going to do is the following:

Carrauntohill does not stand alone in the Macgillycuddy Reeks. Nearby peaks Beenkeragh at 1010m and Caher 1001m are the second and third highest peaks in Ireland.

I don't know if you're still coming over next year but we will be climbing there in the spring to check on the caches and will be hoping to place caches on Beenkeragh and Caher.

I also see your point about having a "mere mortal" cache, or a failsafe if the weather is too poor. What I'll do is put a cache at the foot of the Devil's Ladder, so, (a bit like "Pyg'n Hell" on Snowdon and the nearby micros in the carparks), there'll be a cache that won't disappoint hikers, who, like yourselves, fell foul of the elements.

There'll be an event next spring, and if you still are coming over we'll time it around your holiday.

As for finding 5/5, big puzzle caches or 400 mile drive ones... you're joining an elite group when you do, and that's satisfaction enough. Sure, it's only 1 more find, but there's a great deal more pleasure in finally getting to the box compared to a drive-by cache. :P

If the cache was reasonably local we would definitely give it a go, but if it was be say over 50 or so miles I think would need (or make B) ) some other reason to go to the area such as a holiday. In fact I believe we would be drawn to such a challenge.

It took Jollyjax and the Phillimore Clan around 3 weeks each to find Lewis Alone: GCKF0M, which is on their doorstep and its only rated at 4/3 but probably in excess of a 100 miles round trip. On that basis a good 5/5 should take a month.  :D  :D  B)

Oh and 2202 I definitely think you have undersold this cache, should be rated as 5 for difficulty :) . I believe that putting this cache on my doorstep so that it was top of the undone caches list was just cruel beyond belief B)

It took Jollyjax and the Phillimore Clan around 3 weeks each to find Lewis Alone: GCKF0M, which is on their doorstep and its only rated at 4/3 but probably in excess of a 100 miles round trip. On that basis a good 5/5 should take a month.  :lol:  B)  :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

It took a while for sure 2202 ... and a thoroughly enjoyable time too. I dont hold with a numbers game and makingme think and enjoy is as much the game (for me) as the walk and the find.

A 5/5 ... dont think i seen or sniffed one yet ... perhaps they will appear on my wish lists soon .... if i get the scent and want the find ... yes I'd travel a number of times .

Oh and 2202 I definitely think you have undersold this cache, should be rated as 5 for difficulty :D . I believe that putting this cache on my doorstep so that it was top of the undone caches list was just cruel beyond belief :D

Well John

The next one will be X rated and certainly not PG.