Log Entries

PNWWizard

I've noticed on several caches I'm watching that cachers (2 in particular) leave log entries like "Thanks" or "Nice hide". That seems lame to me, but then I'm new at this. I like to hear what they thought of the cache, problems or tips in finding it, and what they took/left. Or am I off-base on this topic???

I am also new at caching. I would surmise that after folks are up to their 500+, 1000+ etc, you kind of run out of things to say. I would also suggest that if you would like more input to perhaps state that on your listing, especially if you'd like feedback on your first cache. A two sentence description doesn't really invite folks to elaborate! :blink:

sorry, I re-read and realize you speak of caches you were watching, not your own. Mea culpa. :rolleyes:

Edited by Clueless & Lark

I've noticed that when reading local logs, our area our more of storytellers. People in my area like to tell their stories, in depth, and usually it's pretty interesting. Occasionaly, details are exagerated, and just as often, details are completely changed, but it makes it fun. Quite a few logs, people take the space of one or more full logs.

Wheras in my reading of pages for caches in other areas, I see one or two lines, as opposed to several paragraphs...

I've noticed on several caches I'm watching that cachers (2 in particular) leave log entries like "Thanks"  or "Nice hide".  That seems lame to me, but then I'm new at this.  I like to hear what they thought of the cache, problems or tips in finding it, and what they took/left.  Or am I off-base on this topic???

If a cache has a lot of short logs it generally indicates that the cache is pretty lame. How much can there be to write about an Altoids tin stuck to a lamp post in a Walmart parking lot? If its an interesting cache hunt, the logs will generally be longer and more detailed.

Edited by briansnat

I have NEVER posted a long note in a log book, but online.........VERY different story. Why the difference? When I'm out caching, there are other outside factors influencing what I write.

1. The size of the log book (size of the page). A small piece of paper just BEGS for a short log.

2. Any number of external influences will necessitate a short log: mosquitos, rain, cold, muggles, impatient spouses, etc.

3. When I'm sitting at my computer, in the comfort of my home, and all snuggly in my jammies, and plenty of time to spend, I will write WAY more. I have time to reflect and think about the cache and the whole experience of finding it.

i come down again and again against one-size-fits-all TFTC.

when i don't have anything to say about the magnetic micro in the parking lot, i usually have something to say about my day or the trip, and if i'm caching with others, you get the flavor of our outing. one of my companions regularly lies wildly about what happened, which is funny, but it becomes WAY funny if you've ever been to the cache.

he will, for instance, say he had a hard time finding stage seven of tha micro multi when there are only three stages. he will imply that fiding the combination to the lock was tricky, especially if there is no lock.

if we argued about how to get there, we say so. if we argued because we'd eaten too many donuts and no protein for breakfast and we felt GREAT for about an hour but now we're at each other's throats as we drive AROUND AND AROUND, you better bet it appears in the log.

i appreciate interesting cache logs. by "interesting", i do not mean "logs written by people with a flair for prose". i mean people who just tell us a little of the story.

i have an ENORMOUS watch list. and yes, i DO read most of those logs. i often send notes to people who write good ones. i often get notes from people who like my logs.

as for the physical log, unless it's a really nice day and the page is big, i don't say much.

so, no. you're not out of line. and it isn't a function of being new. when i first started i didn't have a knack for the narrative of a cache log. mine were all kind of short and more like reports on cache condition. what makes the logs interesting is a glimse into somebody else's day. you can't say much online about the cache without giving spoilers, but if you've ever gotten an email from a stranger who read ALL of your logs from a weekend binge just to find out what you did next, you know that people really ARE interested in what you had for lunch and where you should have turned left.

I have NEVER posted a long note in a log book, but online.........VERY different story. Why the difference? When I'm out caching, there are other outside factors influencing what I write.

1. The size of the log book (size of the page). A small piece of paper just BEGS for a short log.

2. Any number of external influences will necessitate a short log: mosquitos, rain, cold, muggles, impatient spouses, etc.

3. When I'm sitting at my computer, in the comfort of my home, and all snuggly in my jammies, and plenty of time to spend, I will write WAY more. I have time to reflect and think about the cache and the whole experience of finding it.

not to mention standing there with no place to sit - trying to write in that little log book - wind blowing your stuff around - pen won't write - knees hurt from kneeling - feet are bent - so logs get short shrift - but like Pip said - back on the computer - you got a chance to really let it out -

I usually just put a sticker in the log book. Once I find the cache, I'm not all that interested in spending 20 minutes rooting through it to see what's there. I like the hunt, so the log book entry just demonstrates that I've been there.

I always try to say something succinct but thoughtful in my online logs. If I think your cache sucks, my log will look something like this. If I absolutely love your cache, you're bound to see a much more descriptive log.

I always use the length and content of cache logs to determine the lameness of a cache, because few people will come outright and say "This cache stinks" (myself included!).

I usually just put a sticker in the log book. Once I find the cache, I'm not all that interested in spending 20 minutes rooting through it to see what's there. I like the hunt, so the log book entry just demonstrates that I've been there.

I always try to say something succinct but thoughtful in my online logs. If I think your cache sucks, my log will look something like this. If I absolutely love your cache, you're bound to see a much more descriptive log.

I always use the length and content of cache logs to determine the lameness of a cache, because few people will come outright and say "This cache stinks" (myself included!).

I told a guy the other day in a log that his cache was full of crap.

When logging more than 5 caches online, I try to make a theme. It almost always results in one cache owner following my log trail and following up with the typical 'Huh?" message.

For example:

Sailing the Seven Cs. Three cachers from Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland caching in Circleville and Chilicothe followinf the COG Camp and Cache. I was the helpless crew member of the SS Tracker, captained by Captain D (draegon). The first mate was DJ Jazzy (sherwood) Forest.

In Cleveland a few weeks later, I was caching with members of the OGRE Cacheleague Team. Since Ogre and Oak Ridge sound a little alike, I was the inept roadie who couldn't figure out why the OGRE Boys didn't know Elvira and any number of the Oak Ridge Boys hits.

Then the classic was in Findlay, Oh. Mr. O hadn't had many opportunities to write Haiku logs for the COG July haiku Log contest. I set him up by actually applying wax to my car when we met up and then buffing it when we got back that night. Mr. Miagi taught me many things about caching that day. While my logs were pretty good, they were all just a big set up for logs like:

It made it fun to log large quantities of caches. Making fun of other cachers in your group in the log book helps, too. Or, sometimes I'll draw pictures and arrows to other people's logs. I know Leps like to write poetry.

Still, lame caches get lame logs, generally.

I have NEVER posted a long note in a log book, but online.........VERY different story.  Why the difference?  When I'm out caching, there are other outside factors influencing what I write. 

1.  The size of the log book (size of the page).  A small piece of paper just BEGS for a short log.

2.  Any number of external influences will necessitate a short log:  mosquitos, rain, cold, muggles, impatient spouses, etc.

3.  When I'm sitting at my computer, in the comfort of my home, and all snuggly in my jammies, and plenty of time to spend, I will write WAY more.  I have time to reflect and think about the cache and the whole experience of finding it.

not to mention standing there with no place to sit - trying to write in that little log book - wind blowing your stuff around - pen won't write - knees hurt from kneeling - feet are bent - so logs get short shrift - but like Pip said - back on the computer - you got a chance to really let it out -

EXACTLY!!

Some people are long winded, some are short on words.

Some people are eloquent, some are not.

Some caches are great, some are not so great.

This leaves lots of room for variations in logs.

An example? What did Edward Everett say on November 19, 1863?

Hint: he talked for about 2 hours, just before another speaker spoke for less than 5 minutes. I bet you know who the other speaker was and what they said.

Some people are long winded, some are short on words.

Some people are eloquent, some are not.

Some caches are great, some are not so great.

This leaves lots of room for variations in logs.

An example? What did Edward Everett say on November 19, 1863?

Hint: he talked for about 2 hours, just before another speaker spoke for less than 5 minutes. I bet you know who the other speaker was and what they said.

Fourscore and seven years ago...

I wrote short logs at first because I thought, "who am I, a mere newbie, to witter away, when these experienced folks before me only posted a TNLNSL TFTC?" But I ultimately realized how much I enjoyed reading good logs, either for information before I hunt or to revive happy memories afterwards. I figure if I don't remember a cache well enough to squeeze out a few choice sentences, then I'm going too fast and doing too many.

A terse log is the Badge of Lameness.

There are some who write TN/LN/SL for every cache. That gets old. There are some who write well for every cache. I try to write a log as a thank you for the cache....so I lay it on. If a child was involved in the setting of the cache, I go all out for their excitement. If the cache has a theme, like Snizzard (a play on Doctor Suess) then I try and play along. For that cache, I wrote a poem. Many others did too. I try to include something funny with a log entry if I can, to make the other person laugh. Too bad I cant make the forum posts that way. I guess I still feel a bit shy here.

I told a guy the other day in a log that his cache was full of crap.

I'm trying not to picture that log, but when ya gotta go....ya gotta go. :rolleyes:

ya - ok -

it was full of army men and marbles -

another on the same day had real junk too - so bad I don't even remember what it was.

It is pretty bad for me to log a TNLN - did that for both and on the cache log on-line I told it like it was. For the second one the owner actually wrote me and told me thanks for saving him a trip by letting him know it was still there. Now THAT'S bad!

oh well -- it was a long hot walk but somewhere I'd never been.

I always leave a very brief entry in the log book. I have lousy handwriting, and I like to get in and get out--not sit there writing a novel. I usually just put the date and the names of my teammates (if any).

The on-line log is another story. If there is anything of interest to impart--condition of the cache, wildlife, difficulty finding, etc., I mention it. I do not bother listing what I swapped, as I usually cannot remember.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of connecting the quality of the cache with the quality of the log. I guess I like reading detailed logs. Mostly online, 'cause as someone wisely said standing in the rain surrounded by poison oak is not conducive to reading! I tend to write less in the cache log than I do online. Comfy chair, dog at my feet, hot cuppa...

Thanks for your responses! I've learned so much in these forums. :huh: