Looking for recommendations

HartClimbs

Any suggestions on how to best tie your boots on when geocaching? I've tried the 'bunny races round the tree' method, as well as the 'two loops spun around' but was wondering what other cachers do?

I'm always interested in caching safely.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

Any suggestions on how to best tie your boots on when geocaching? I've tried the 'bunny races round the tree' method, as well as the 'two loops spun around' but was wondering what other cachers do?

I'm always interested in caching safely.

Good topic! I highly recommend this book. It worked for me.

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

Look at you. A guy with only 219 finds coming here and asking questions like he's something special! Don't you know how to use the search feature? If you weren't so lazy, a quick search would have turned up the following threads: Whats The Best Way To Tie Youre lasese?, Lacing Of Shoes While Geocaching and Boots and Laces. But no, you come to this forum and ask us to do all the work for you.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 07, 2003 at 03:11 AM.]

Well, I think there should be a ban on shoes with velcro closures while caching. It is a well known fact that many invasive plant species use "hitch hiker" seed pods that attach themselves to clothing. Velcro is particularly bad in that it catches the seeds more readily than regular shoe closures. This can be very damaging while placing a vacation cache, the seeds can travel thousands of miles in the velcro, and choke out indiginous species.

eyes.GIF

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

Life is a delicate balance between cynicism and naivete'. (can't tell when you're joking and when your not). Thus, I must approarch all with an open heart (and an exposed backside).

I just tie 'em like my mama taught me. Don't know no other way.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

boots? real cachers cache barefoot or in sandals. and I hope there's not too many shiny metal loops, studs or ornamentation on those sandals, either... that's not what caching footwear's all about. It's about the blisters you get, and the relief you feel when you sit down. That's the real thrill! icon_biggrin.gif

You guys are so far ahead of me.

I still just have my little pink bunny slippers.

Therefore no tying needed. But I do get a lot of cheatgrass seeds moved around from state to state. As well as Toadflax, Medusahead, Knapweed, Russian Thistle, etcetc. But it is real easy to see those little tick creitters trying to hitch a ride to lunch.

And for kickers, When I tie Reds boots on for her, the standard left over right and a double knot on top.

logscaler.

How about this...

A serious post!

A long time ago I was with some of the FS Rangers and noticed how one of them tied their shoes. It was an unusual square pattern, and being the young impressionable person that I was I immitated my FS heroes (and she was cute to boot (should be in the pun topic)). I still tie my boots the same way today. It keeps them tight and looks cool too.

shoes.jpg

quote:
How about this...

A serious post!

Backpacker Magazine ran a piece some time ago about various methods of lacing boots to achieve a better fit. The picture above was one of several ways they discussed. I'll poke around and see if I can find the article.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Mountain Man - thanks for the helpful picture (careful though, it looks like one of your laces may be dangerously frayed). Please be careful - I wouldn't want a broken lace to result in a serious injury out in the wild.

I looked at my boots and, unfortunately, I can't use the technique you illustrated. My laces are a different color and the number of eyelets in my boots is different. I did, however, use a similar lacing system on my hockey skates.

Can't anyone else help me? GC.COM clearly must bear some responsibility for helping cachers remain safetly shod while caching - or does GC.COM discriminate against people without velcro? icon_mad.gif

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Backpacker Magazine ran a piece some time ago about various methods of lacing boots to achieve a better fit. The picture above was one of several ways they discussed. I'll poke around and see if I can find the article.

They ran an article quite recently which may be what you are thinking of. It seemed excessively definitive and can be viewed here. I read somewhere long ago to leave the bottom loops somewhat loose and tie the tops much tighter and I have always followed that advice.

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

How about this...

A serious post!

A long time ago I was with some of the FS Rangers and noticed how one of them tied their shoes. It was an unusual square pattern, and being the young impressionable person that I was I immitated my FS heroes (and she was cute to boot (should be in the pun topic)). I still tie my boots the same way today. It keeps them tight and looks cool too.

http://www.mtn-man.org/images/stuff/shoes.jpg

Those laces look cool The rest of the boot though... ack!

I tuck in my laces. They tend to catch on rocks and sticks. That's all the high tech boot lore that I know.

quote:
They ran an article quite recently which may be what you are thinking of. It seemed excessively definitive and can be viewed here. I read somewhere long ago to leave the bottom loops somewhat loose and tie the tops much tighter and I have always followed that advice.

That's a much newer article than the one I had in mind. The one I read was printed several years ago. But Hart, you best check it out, as it could be the answer you're looking for.

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

Any suggestions on how to best TIE your boots on when geocaching? ...

I think the problem is people don't know how to keep a thread on topic. He doesn't need to know how to LACE his boots. That is just silly. He needs help to TIE them. Come on now, if you don't want to help the poor fella, don't say anything at all. You are giving posters of this forum a bad reputation.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

How about this...

A serious post!

http://www.mtn-man.org/images/stuff/shoes.jpg

I hate to continue the serious though but that is called "Ladder Lacing" During the Korean war troups were issued two pairs of boots and required to ladder lace one set. regular laces on even dates ladder laces worn on odd dates. this allowed for a quick way to tell if the troups were rotating boots to allow for proper foot care.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

The article's pretty amazing. Now I remember why I cancelled my subscription to Backpacker years ago! After they devoted 10 pages to how to pull on your socks - I felt I wasn't getting my money's worth.

Regarless, it's a very interesting (and well documented) link - great find!

These hiking boots are just extraordinarily hard to lace up correctly. cat50.JPG

OK, HC. Try this.

Take your left lace (hereafter called LL) in your left hand (hereafter called LH). Take your right lace (hereafter called RL) in your right hand (hereafter called RH). Cross the laces (this is called "Crossing the Laces") and then reposition your hands so you are holding the LL in your RH and the RL in your LH. Tuck the LL under the RL and pull UP.

Now you have a "knot."

Pull firmly on both laces to "tighten" your "knot."

Form a loop with the RL (which is now on your left) such that the very end of the RL sticks out towards your left. The RL should be a "spoon" shape in you LH. Hold it with two fingers and your thumb. This is called "Taking the Loop." Take your LL (which is now on your right) and wrap it *around* the RL by placing the LL first in front of the RL and then wrapping it *behind* your fingers. Bring it all the way to the front again to the left of your bow. Start to wrap it around again but this time take it back between your fingers and hold it there. This is called "No Turning Back Now." Now this is the tricky part.

As you hold the LL between the two fingers grip the RL with your LH and pull the two loops at the same time. If you time it right, you should form two loops at once and form a bow. This is called "Tying One On."

Be sure to give yourself a pat on the back when you do this.

Good luck!

Care the Deception of Imitative Administrator

[This message was edited by enfanta on July 07, 2003 at 04:20 PM.]

You know HC, those laces are pretty cool but I just could not find any laces that were totally red. It bothers me that I can't find red boot laces anymore. You should try to get some laces that have some red in them because I really think it increases your speed on the trail. I think it is something in the aerodynamics of the color red.

I double knot those bad boys when I'm hiking because I don't want to be bothered with having to re-tie them when I'm hiking. It also gives me something entertaining to do when I'm done hiking... getting the things untied. (This section of the post is done just to make Dru happy.)

Renegade Knight, I figure those boots are just about broken in by now. Once you get that good feel its hard to retire your hiking boots. Vasque Sundowners, by the way. You see the mark on the end of the boot on the bottom right. I hit my boot with a Swedish Bush Axe while doing some trail clearing. Gotta' love full grain leather!

Uh, back on topic (sorry Dru), I found this for you...

http://www.bootdog.com/lacing.html

http://www.hotboots.com/ladlacng.html

http://www.hitthetrail.com/lacing.htm

http://www.nicksboots.com/lacing.htm

Maybe this would be a good topic for an upcoming GGA meeting? Maybe we could do a couple of hours on this at the July C.A.C.H.E. Meeting? Wow, the possibilities are endless.

I don't think you should tie your boots on. What happens if you need to take them off in a hurry? Having them tied on could cause a potentially dangerous delay in removing them.

In any case the laces themselves are a possible hazard. It's best to remove them and dispose of them carefully. And just to be on the safe side, snip off all those nasty little eyelets too.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

Well, I think there should be a ban on shoes with velcro closures while caching. It is a well known fact that many invasive plant species use "hitch hiker" seed pods that attach themselves to clothing. Velcro is particularly bad in that it catches the seeds more readily than regular shoe closures. This can be very damaging while placing a vacation cache, the seeds can travel thousands of miles in the velcro, and choke out indiginous species.

QUOTE]

I know what ya talkin' about. I have boots wit velcro and wile caaching on vacation in the south a Floridian cacher got stuck on and since getting home to NY I haven't been able to get him outta da house!

ALan

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

http://angelfire.com/pro/bloen/images/eyes.GIF

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

I just reviewed the how-to-place-a-cache instructions after reading all this highly educational boot tying information. Do you realize that there is no way to indicate on a cache description which way you should tye your boots, or even what type of footwear to use on the hunt? I think TPTB should immediately add a field to cache creation page allowing you to select footwear appropriate to the terrain and difficulty.