Geowoodstock2

Curious ... was Geowoodstock II more of an adult event or were there some families with kids? It sounds like a lot of people stayed out all night and got very little sleep. You do not want to be around my kids when they don't get enough sleep ... talk about grouchy.

[/b]We had kids, we had adults, & we had adult kids!!! :D

I think the 'marathon/all night/all day/no sleep/we can sleep when we get home' type caching would totally depend on what you know your family can handle!! LadeBear68 kidnapped me from a campground around 2am Saturday morning, took me to her partners in caching (TheAlabamaRambler & moonsilver) and we cached together pretty much til the Fireworks at Riverside in Nashville Sunday night!! Complete Craziness!!! What a blast!!!!!!! :D:D:D

We had a good time in Nashville!

2f00e1da-d10f-4f53-833e-93362a0b718c.jpg

Can't say enough good things about the weekend. Thanks for the invite, JoGPS! Met all the megacachers. Grabbed 185-190 in 17 hours of hunting, due to the heroic efforts of Mosestron and GrannyLani. 300 on the weekend gives me a backlog of 400 (!). It will give me a chance to rest my blown out kneecaps.

:D:D That picture is just too much!!! :D:D I LOVE IT!!!!

We, (TheAlabamaRambler, ladebear68, ManInTheWild & QF, redneckgal & here crew), 3 cars full, did that cache in the dark after being stopped by the police. Too Funny! Great picture! :D:D

Beginning in a month or two you can look for cute hand painted pikachu golf balls coming to a town near you. But Mustard Devil and Snoogans might not be allowed to have any of the cute painted ones and will be left with something else instead.......

Now thats gratitude for you, I give her the idea and all I get is a dirty golfball!

Oh well it could be something much,much worse!

How did I not know about this?  What the.....man I am out of it

you're not alone. i was out of the loop on this one too. :D

Gee, I figured if I knew about it, EVERYONE knew about it!! It was a big time. Good fun, Great folks. I really enjoyed driving while Southpaw navigated on the cache run on Sunday. He's a lot of fun and showed us a great time.

Beginning in a month or two you can look for cute hand painted pikachu golf balls coming to a town near you. But Mustard Devil and Snoogans might not be allowed to have any of the cute painted ones and will be left with something else instead.......

Now thats gratitude for you, I give her the idea and all I get is a dirty golfball!

Oh well it could be something much,much worse!

Ha ha! I didn't say that you were getting golf balls! :D:D

Loads of fun meeting everyone! Our crew didn't have time to do the big numbers run, but we really had a blast hitting the area around Nashville.

And when I got home I had my Geo-Woodstock t-shirt waiting for me and it looked pretty good. Hope everyone else's turned out good too!

Bret

There is a thread in our local forums kind of bashing the event because of the huge numbers of caches logged in a marathon, and because CCCooper Agency participated (and you know a lot of cachers couldn't stand her and everything associated with her). So they are basically saying that all the Geowoodstock numbers are cheating and people couldn't possibly ... etc etc.

It just hurts me to see a fun get-together to be badmouthed in this way... I guess Nashville TN is simply a home to huge numbers of easy urban caches?

Could someone post a synopsis of the Marathon, to counter the ad-hominem attacks? How wide was the area covered by the marathon? What were the challenges? The most productive quarter-hour? These kinds of details, it would be so fun to read! (Of course if all I need is a markwell, or a patience to wait for the next Today's Cacher issue, then just lemme know)

Please be patience, folks are still logging when all the numbers are in we will gladly give all the details, and as far as the unbelievers go there is nothing I could say to make them feel like they are not the losers for not attending and having a great time enjoying the fellowship of other geocachers. ………….. JOE

Numbers for the marathons...

Well, lets put it this way... Serenity Now did a PQ... 25 mile radius of downtown Nashville and came up with 2000 caches, I believe she said. 2000 caches. So going 50 miles and going for the cache run was certainly not out of the question. Yes, what we were doing was a numbers game plain and simple. How can micros under light poles for 12 hours not be one? But it certainly wasn't cheating.

We were out for 14 hours and got 140 caches... Average is 10 an hour, but I think one half hour we got 25 or so. We also tapered off at the end because SouthPaw was showing off some of his more sneaky cache finds and I was pissing and moaning because I wanted to find a real ammo box and no more of these micros under light poles. He obliged me by taking me out into the woods at 10 pm. We also got a little touristy as he took us to Johnny's Cache and then showed us Johnny Cash's estate afterwords.

I assure you there was no cheating involved.. Just a gazillion caches close together and a few VERY well prepared cache leaders taking us out on our caravans. The leaders all had a clipbopard with a list of all the caches that fit in the PQ we set up and Southpaw would highlight the one as we did it, then he'd send us off again, and we did some really good caches. Very clever micros around N'ville, very ordinary and boring ones around here, too.

For those of you who missed it, I must say, you have to check next summer for The Third Annual GeoWoodstock. I met people that I would never have met before and saw places that I would never have gotten to and had more fun than I've ever had in my life.

There is a thread in our local forums kind of bashing the event because of the huge numbers of caches logged in a marathon, and because CCCooper Agency participated (and you know a lot of cachers couldn't stand her and everything associated with her). So they are basically saying that all the Geowoodstock numbers are cheating and people couldn't possibly ... etc etc.

It just hurts me to see a fun get-together to be badmouthed in this way... I guess Nashville TN is simply a home to huge numbers of easy urban caches?

Could someone post a synopsis of the Marathon, to counter the ad-hominem attacks? How wide was the area covered by the marathon? What were the challenges? The most productive quarter-hour? These kinds of details, it would be so fun to read! (Of course if all I need is a markwell, or a patience to wait for the next Today's Cacher issue, then just lemme know)

Note - MOCKBA this is not directed at you but the people you say are badmouthing the event on the forums.

Cheating?!? :unsure::) How can you cheat in geocaching? It's not a competition. There's no trophies, ribbons, plaques or even framed certificates. Why should somebody else's number of finds matter in the least to anybody else ? The only cheating you can do is to cheat yourself out of fun by useless worrying about other people! OK, you could also cheat yourself out of the fun of finding caches if you just logged them but didn't find them. Either way there's only one person being "cheated".

Having met CCCooper Agency at GeoWoodstock, all I will say is that she seemed like a very nice lady. Anyone who badmouths her without having met her and/or solely because of her number of find is just being petty (IMHO :D ) about something that doesn't matter. Isn't the root of it that they are jealous that she has the free time to travel and cache that much and they don't?

A lot of the marathon caching that took place was individual groups and not officially related to the event. The group of 7 people I cached with after the Saturday event ended (about 6pm), cached from 7pm to 4am and found about 70 caches. We had no real preplanning and jsut picked our route on the fly. Just a bunch of us in a van with GPSes, a laptop, GSAK, mapping software and pocket queries. I can see how the 24 hour record could easily be done if you had some good preplanning, and a driver familiar with the area (both of which the record setters did).

Just my 2 cents worth (OK it's kind of long so maybe it's my nickel's worth). Dissenting views welcome.

Hi!

I just took a peek at the Utah forum and will cross post this there. Actually the number now looks to be 240 in 24 hours instead of 242. We had a couple of record keeping errors. We also took around a 2 hour dinner break (I didn't time it exactly) and a 1/2 hour lunch break, so the number easily could have been more if we had not rested. Quite a few other groups found around 110-125 in 12 hours on Sunday the 4th. We simply decided to go for 24 hours instead.

To explain how it is done, basically it is not quite your ordinary caching. A route is planned and support is used. We had a driver and a navigator. The navigator had a GPS taped to the car window and mapping up on the computer. Both the driver and navigator were local and were highly familiar with the area. Keep in mind that Nashville is extremely cache dense and full of easy urban micros. At times, we literally would drive down the road from parking lot to parking lot, drive up to a light pole, jump out find the cache, and then be at the next cache a minute later. We did use our own GPS to find the caches, although most were so easy a GPS would not have been needed. In some cases we did find some more difficult caches. We had several instances were we spent a long time looking. What it comes down to is that we had hours were we found maybe 5, but then several more hours of 20+ lightpoles.

We did the whole thing for the experience of it. And it was quite an experience! I don't particularly care to repeat it though. Once is enough! I am looking forward now to a week in Seattle where I can take some nice hikes for regular size caches! I will say that it made doing the easy Nashville micros fun though! I might not have thought much of them had I just went and found 5-10, but finding them in a mad rush for 24 hours makes for something entirely different!

Anyway, I hope that helps explain things some.

Carleen :unsure:

Edit: Fixing all my bad spelling.

Edited by carleenp
I can see how the 24 hour record could easily be done if you had some good preplanning, and a driver familiar with the area (both of which the record setters did).

Thanks for recognizing reality. With JoGPS as the wheelman, and Scoot the Frog doing the navigating, cache selection and logging, it was pretty easy to rack up 240 finds in 24 hours... heck, we even stopped for a half hour lunch at Taco Bell, stopped for two hours for dinner and drinks (beer followed by coffee), and we took our sweet time when a cache was at a cool spot or featured a nice view.

Had we needed to plan out the next cache, drive to it in an unfamiliar area, and make our own notes on each cache we found, there's no way that we could have found 240 caches.

My name and Carleen's name are in each of the logs for the caches we found in Nashville, just like they are in each and every logbook for all the other caches we've found. We've sent the verification answers to each of the virtual caches we visited and the owners of those caches have often sent back very nice e-mails. We've got photos, video, Mapsource tracklogs, eyewitnesses.... you name it. Yes, it is possible to find that many caches in an area as cache-dense as Nashville. The only reason we found 240 while others stopped at 150, 190 or whatever is because we went for 24 hours straight.

We also had fun for 24 hours straight. The day before, we had fun at the Geo-Woodstock event, where we found caches with CCCooperAgency, SBUX and others in a large group. Only 20 or so finds that day, all in the park where the event was held, but maximum fun and fellowship. And the day before that, we found a dozen rural caches, navigating by the seat of our pants to old cemeteries and so forth. All of these were different ways to have fun. And THAT is why I attended Geo-Woodstock.

I think there were a total of 21 finds that you could get at the park that day.. 10 events and the 11 for the poker run.

Like I said, and like Lep said... Lots of planning is why our numbers were so high. Our team hit 100 in 10 hours, the 100th was EssPea's house where we met the dalmations that were the inspiration for us going everywhere after dalmation caches, and took a break... Could have had a ton more, but downtown was packed for fireworks and so we couldn't snag any of the ones down there.

I think the problem is that anyone that wasn't there has no idea how efficient everything was... It was planned so well that there was no issue about what to do or how. I got there early and there was a whole staff of people (cachers who volunteered) doing all the cooking, JoGPS worked his tail off... The caravan leaders and area cachers had spent three weeks doing maintenance on their caches, getting the PQs and things like that so that when we did the 100 in 12 hrs we wouldn't have DNFs. I think that out of 140 tries we only couldn't find 3, and of those three, we were with or on the phone with the hiders so we knew they were missing.

Heck, EssPea wasn't out doing them, but she had prepared a couple huge coolers full of drinks and stayed home all day just waiting for people to show up at her house. As soon as we got there, we were offered drinks and bathrooms.

We actually thought you guys hadn't done the 24 hours because you stopped for dinner.. We figured you'd cache through the night... Shows what we knew. lol.

A route is planned and support is used. We had a driver and a navigator. The navigator had a GPS taped to the car window and mapping up on the computer.

Cool, will try to apply this to our next team hunt. My last attempt had everything imperfect (I shouldn't say wrong, it was fun), maybe I should share the list of what not to do on a roadside cache and benchmark hunt:

We were together with '39Geezer and both of us share some ideosyncratic peculiarities, as it turned out:

- no waypoints ever entered into a GPS

- the GPSr turned off frequently to conserve batteries

- the maps are hand-drawn and the area is not too familiar

- the descriptions are not read in advance (thus we ended up hunting one multi which was spread over 12x3 miles area, relying on chat with gas station attendants instead of maps)

- my pooch may be a great hiking companion, but taking an unleashed dog on a roadside hunt could cost you a lot of extra nerves and time.

We did have one key ingridient right though, which was the attitude :unsure:

We did have one key ingridient right though, which was the attitude :unsure:

That is all that matters. There is no point in trying it if it won't be fun. We had a blast and if we had not gotten the record we still would have enjoyed the experience of trying. It is a different kind of caching experience though. Of course maybe that is also what made it fun. It was such a novel experience for me. The great company helped too!

One downside of the whole thing though is that the online logging is a real chore! :)

Thank you MOCKBA for a very nice post. I do appreciate that you are not making any accusations, only being curious about how we did it. I have written directly to the doubting Thomas who questioned the validity of our achievement in your local forums. I offered to share facts and details, something that he did not have available to him.

What you described sounds a lot like my geocaching expeditions during my first six months of caching! It's been very interesting, moving from cache page printouts and maps with handwritten notes, up to paperless caching with a PDA and a mapping GPSr, and finally up to the level of having a laptop computer right in the cachemobile, where you can see the car moving along on the screen as a little arrow.

Sometimes it is still way more fun to just wander about aimlessly. On the day before Geo-Woodstock, we found caches that way because I had neglected to load the detailed maps for the rural area west of the city where we were camping. So, we just followed the GPS arrow and navigated by the seat of our pants. By taking some wrong turns, we wound up seeing cool stuff like a 20-foot long fiberglass catfish, and a hidden cemetery (not the one that held the cemetery cache we were looking for) on a dirt road a half mile deep into the woods.

Like I said before, both ways of finding caches are fun. As MOCKBA said, it's all in the ATTITUDE.

I just wanted to pass on a word of congratulations guys. I had a team that attempted that feat in Jacksonville and though I believe the density is there to do it our planning and other factors worked against us and we fell woefully short. There is definetly alot of logistics that goes into an adventure like that but it isalso an experience that I will treasure for some time. Just the teamwork and experience of working together is a great memory. I hope to try for that record at least one more time since you all didn't put it totally out of reach. Again congratulations and fine job.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing someone break the record of 240-ish. In fact, I'd do everything in my power to HELP them to do so, within the boundaries of geocaching ethics. Just like Scoot the Frog, Monkeybrad and JoGPS thought it would be cool to see if someone could beat the existing record of 238, I'd love to help ensure the achievement of any successor record. Of course, it ain't gonna happen in Pittsburgh, but I could pass along a few tips to anyone who wants to go for it in Nashville or some other cache-dense area.

Congrats to the brave makers of the new record for 24 hrs caching (plus congrats to Driver and Navigator!) - and the group of local geocachers who made 2nd Geo-Woodstock a fantastic (Dream-Land like) experience for me! BTW, come and cache in Nasville yourself, you will get the feeling for numbers in the place where you can happily say: It is all about the numbers that count.

I met the nicest and friendliest cachers there and made new friends; it was an honour to meet yall! Thank you for giving me such a coooool time in Nasville. I will return.

I just want to echo Lep. I would be more than happy to help someone beat the record. At least in terms of assistance with planning and giving advice. I don't think I am up for another 24 hours without sleep again! Running for a record was fun and that gave motivation to keep going at 4am, but it really was more for the experience of it all. Sort of a "let's go see if we can do this, and if not, what the number will end up to be."

We shaved it pretty close too. We first thought it was 242, and I put that in a bunch of logs. But after discovering a couple of record keeping errors and sorting those out, in the end the number is 240.

I thought for fun too that I would answer MOCKBA's other questions:

What were the challenges?: I would say grabbing a series of sign post caches in the pouring rain, constantly entering the wrong waypoint because I would hit "nearest caches" and with so many all .1 away, would hit the wrong one, and generally staying awake! Oh! And drinking truly terrible convenience store coffee at 3-4 am and then having to pee with no convenience store in sight! Go figure that we went rural at that time (and even that area was loaded with caches)!

How wide was the area covered?: I honestly have no idea! I do know that we were around a 40 minute drive from the start when we finished! JoGPS has map files and track logs that show it, but I have not looked at those yet.

The most productive quarter hour?: I don't know for sure, but it had to be either in an area of shopping centers where we drove through parking lots from lightpole to lightpole (we did multiple areas of those), or when we were doing the sign series all in the Vanderbuilt area, despite the fact that we did those in the rain.

Finally, it wasn't a question, but I will add that in Nashville many caches are named in series. For example, there are 101 dalmaitian caches, there are steeplechase caches, sit a spell caches etc. It is pretty funny to be driving down the street hearing the navigator say things like "dalmatian on the right, sit a spell next, steeple chase after that and then another dalmatian." :unsure: Our navigator rocked BTW!

I also want to add that I had a great time at the event. I originally wasn't planning on going, but I realized that I had scheduled vacation for the week after the event, so I hit Nashville on my way to other destinations. I'm really glad I ended up going, I was able to meet a lot of great people, and experience caching in a different way than I used to. It was fun being a power cacher for a day. :)

Ditto what everyone has said towards the nay-sayers. I can see how 240+ is a realistic number in Nashville. I cached with Draegon from the Cincinnati area, and even going into it almost completely unprepared (I had waypoints in my GPS and Palm but that was it....no detail maps, Draegon didn't have the waypoints in his GPS, no mapping on the laptop, etc. I guess you could say we were caching "old school") we ended up with about 75 finds in a little under 24 hours. That was also hitting some of the less cache-dense areas since Draegon had already been down there previously and found a bunch of caches.

Oh and Carleen, if you really end up doing that with the golf balls, I want one of 'em! :unsure:

Oh and Carleen, if you really end up doing that with the golf balls, I want one of 'em! :unsure:

I guess I will give up most (but not all) of the details. I plan to hand paint a bunch of pika golf balls. Those and the dirty ones from the event will go in ammo cans (I think it will require a couple) with TB tags. I'm thinking maybe one ammo can with a goal to get to Mustard Devil and another with Snoogans as the goal. Because I worry about an ammo can tb being placed next to a cache in a way that would compromise the cache or violate park regulations etc, I will make it like the karma hiking stick thing and ask that the can gets passed from cacher to cacher directly. I will put log books in them too. Anyway, finders of a can can take a painted golf ball and replace it with a dirty one. We will see if Mustard Devil and Snoogans get any painted golf balls or only dirty ones. I also plan to leave a surprise item or two for each Mustard Devil and Snoogans in each ammo can that is not meant to be traded. I will seal those up and tape them to the inside of the can. My only concern is that the whole thing is too complicated, but I think if I start them with trusted cachers that the hand offs will also go to trusted cachers etc....

I won't get started painting until August, so they won't get started until October or so. If anyone wants to volunteer to be a starting cacher, email me. I will draw names and then ship the cans when ready!

I might send some individual golf ball tbs too. I still actually owe a couple of people those.

Does it sound like a good idea or am I nuts?

You spend 24 hours finding 240 caches and being cooped up in a Honda with a sweaty Leprechaun, and you're asking people's opinion on whether you're nuts?  This'll be good.

You left out that you were crawling in ticks and chiggers.....

:unsure:

the bugs are the only reason i'm glad i didn't go. :)

Ahhh, Mastifflover... a LIVE WITNESS to our caching marathon. We were moving rather fast at 3:00 a.m., no?

You bet, Lep and Carleen were out at 3:00 am. They still had that determined look in their eyes. ;) You never know who your going to meet at a lightpole in the middle of the night in Nashville. ;)

“”Second Annual Geo-Woodstock “”

“The Numbers” ( sometimes it is all about the numbers )

RECORDS:

7,642 logged caches in Nashville for the weekend and still logging, will update later

240 caches in a straight 24 hour period, from 10:00 AM July the 4th till 10:00AM July the 5th by carleenp and The Leprechauns with me at the wheel and Scoot The Frog navigating, its always cool to ride with the frog!!!!!!!!!

600 to 700 caches found by two cachers for the week ( seven days ) ( they are still logging ) will update later and give there names

451 Travel Bugs on a cache page and they are still logging, will up date later

53 geocachers found more than 100 caches in less than 12 hours on the Wagon Train cache runs

218 people ate Free Catfish at an event

The fun had by all that attended “PRICELESS”

Fun Numbers:

236 people attended the Meet and Greet

13 people fell into the creek while finding Get You Feet Wet cache and 3 kids jumped in on a pleasant July day

wimseyguy won the GPS’r from Magellan on the poker run and he won the pie eating contest, but only he and I were playing, and we didn’t want to share.

No one left without a door prize after the poker run

Six stitches were needed to a newbee cacher on there very first cache at the event and we all got to watch, GeoGyn was the on call doctor for the event

Southpaw won the pool $$$ for being closes to the number being logged

235 trade items that were placed in the poker run caches, after the event there were 9 items left total, but that’s why they were there.

The only event I know of that had sponsorship from all three of the major players Garmin Magellan , and the Groundspeak store “BIG THANKS GUYS AND GALLS”

The Wagon Train Cache Runs led by:

r0b 137 caches X 10 people in the train

NashvilleJoe caches 113 X 12 people in the train

Southpaw caches 140 X 6 people in the train

AbbysGrammy caches 100 X 11 people in the train

Mosestron, and GrannyLani caches 185 x 6 people in the train

Monkeybrad caches 205 X 6 people in the train

Other Cool Stuff:

For our Good Park officials and ourselves pictures were taken before the geocaching stampede of the eleven poker run caches sites and after the event was over while taking them out and will be done one more time after 30 days to see if any permanent damage was done to the areas leading to and from the caches to know if they regain there life for future events like this where a lot of people would make a geo-trail in one day. Will let you know later.

We are in the process of selecting a site for next years “Third Annual Geo-Woodstock”

All areas in the US will be considered, if your area would like to co-host the event post it here, with why it should be in your area and what kind of physical support you have.

Joe... you da man!

I have to say it was a blast - i didn't think i was going to make it, but decided at the very last minute to make some changes in my schedule to be there, and am very glad i did -

i didn't pull down an insane number of caches this time, but took my sweet time driving down (while caching, of course) and back (still caching, of course) and spent my 'free' time (not at the event) caching too. it was nice to be back in nashville, had a chance to be first to find on LSUmonicas first cache (nice job again monica, btw *G*) and got to meet a whole slew of new cachers, (not everyone, though, unfortunately) and got to see some old friends, too!! (was surprised they remembered me from my last trip...)

thanks again, to EVERYONE (sponsers included) who put on a fabulous event -

it looks like i'll be moving 'back home' to massachusetts this february, so i'll have to make a special trip out to wherever #3 is held next year - but before that, i plan on hitting 1000 before the big move - so keep you eyes open for a celebration in lexington - i expect everyone to show up! *laughs*

jenn

(cap'n 'neko)

the white diamond pirates

lexington, ky

Edited by koneko
<snip>

We are in the process of selecting a site for next years “Third Annual Geo-Woodstock”

All areas in the US will be considered, if your area would like to co-host the event post it here, with why it should be in your area and what kind of physical support you have.

Very cool and glad everyone had fun at GW2.

I think located anywhere centrally in the US is good. The date is what may need tweaking. 4th of July is a major holiday and quite a few of us have other obligations. Perhaps there would be even more cachers at a different time of year? I did propose August in another thread, tongue in cheek, but there are no holidays then and the real Woodstock did take place in that month....

What's this about CarleenP asking everyone for dirty golf balls? B)  B)  B)

Yeah what is up that Carleen has a bag full of dirty and broken golf balls in her luggage?!?!?!?!

I haven't counted them yet, but be aware that revenge is coming!!!!! B)

Seriously though, it was one great event! I just got home and need to start logging. That could take me a week!!!! The work that went into the event was amazing and I send my thanks out to those who did that. I loved meeting so many people and that catfish was darn good too!!!!!!

B)

I don't know how many others brough tsome for you, but about 30 of those came from me cleaning out caches.

And since I had to donate the most dirty golf balls, I'd like to volunteer to start out one of those cans. ;)B)

Edited by Draegon

How about Colorado? Roughly 1000 caches within 100 miles of Denver/Colorado Springs. I'm planning my second-annual campout event for the Colorado Springs area. I wouldn't mind merging it with GeoWoodstock, although I'd need the help of C.A.C.H.E. (I won't be moving back to Colorado until possibly early next year).

July 13 by paintfiction (2105 found)

After seeing the call for a future GeoWoodstock site. I would like to suggest Jacksonville, Florida as a candidate. I just ran a PQ to see how far out 500 caches go from my home zip code 32204 which is centrally located in the city. The 500th cache is 14.6 miles from my house! Within 100 miles of my zip, there are 1572 caches. Now THAT is #ho territory! As an added bonus, (with no slight to Nashville intended) we have recently been on a campaign to put ammo cans in places where micros are normally found so though we have plenty of micros, there are a LOT of ammo cans (and other deviously crafted containers) to be found.

We have a local group NEFGA that is chock full of great cachers with great attitudes. We have had many outstanding events and I know we could do justice to GeoWoodstock. Jacksonville has more parks than any other city in the country, has many great camping areas, beaches, 4WD areas close to town, and TONS OF CACHES! What more do you want?

Edited by IceCreamMan
Not quite, but if you went downtown on the 4th I was on stage playing the cello for the vast throngs, backing up Sara Evans, The Oak Ridge Boys, etc. Does that count?  And there were at least 4 caches within sight lines of where I was sitting onstage

PS adding to JoGPS's log: Record for most dirty golf balls presented to a single cacher at an event. :lol:

Ah yes the pies! :unsure:

Don't forget about the record for the most Geo-vans pulled out of a ditch at an event.

July 14 by IceCreamMan (1501 found)

I would like to add my voice (or text) to Paintfiction's call to have the next Geo-Woodstock in Jacksonville, Florida. I'm not sure that he made it clear in his post, but Northeast Florida has LOTS of caches. And there are a wide variety of them. Ammo boxes, hikes, history, cammo jobs, parks, high visability urban, multis, some puzzle caches, and LOTS of micros.

More importantly, we have a great community of cachers with a lot of bench strength. We have over a dozen cachers who have sponsered or co-sponsered an event within the last year. Many of which have done several events over the years. So we have a lot of experience that we can draw from to pull this off. Furthermore, we have cachers around the state that we can draw on as well. Some of whom have already volunteered to help should this come to pass.

The Jax area has all the amenities any group could want. Please note that Jacksonville is hosting next years Super Bowl. They don't run that game in just any Cow Town. There are a wide selection of potential sights for our event, and plenty of lodging, camping, dining, shoping etc. to go along with it.

We are also in close proximity to a lot of travel hotspots, making it easy for attendees to dovetail their trip with a family vacation. Orlando is only a couple hours away, as is the Space Coast, Daytona Beach and the Suwannee River.

Right here in Northeast Florida we have some of the finest beaches in the world (including my home, Jacksonville Beach). We also have St. Augustine, America's Oldest City (talk about history). Within a short drive from Jacksonville there are two National Forests - Ocala and Oceola, and many state forests. All chock full o' caches. Did I mention that we have a lot of caches around here?

We've got the caches, we've got the cachers, we've got the amenities. We can do this thing.

July 14 by the federation (1500 found)

Hi Jo,

First off I would like to begin by saying that you all did an extraordinary job with GeoWoodStock2 this year and everyone should expect nothing less next year. I believe what made Woodstock such a draw was the vast variety of caches that Nashville has to offer plus the density. As my fellow Board Members from NEFGA have pointed out we share similar density in caches here in Jacksonville. I don’t want to center our invitation on numbers of caches though but the experience of our people instead. We currently have 8 cachers over 1000 finds, 4 over 900 finds and one over 2000, all of these numbers add up to one thing we have experienced dedicated cache finders who know what it takes to make cachers happy.

Paint and ICM both mention the fact that we have many cachers that are experienced in putting on events. I believe that the events we have held in the past are our greatest strength to our organization. In Northeast Florida we are more than just a group of cachers here we are truly a community of cachers. In a short period of time (1 ½ years) we have built one of the premiere caching organizations around. We are able to boast 130 plus members in Northeast Florida. From the base of cachers our events regularly turn our 40-to70 cachers present and we are able to draw cachers from around the state.

Just to give some idea what a NEFGA sponsored GeoWoodstock would like here is a brief outline:

Friday night would be a meet and greet fireside event for those coming in to camp at the official Woodstock Campground.

Saturday would hold the major event co-sponsored by our Local Parks Dept with a variety of events and caches.

Sunday would hold a tried and proven method from your event wagon trains around Jacksonville where 100 to 140 cache tours could easily done. One advantage to our wagon trains we could offer would be a variety of locations. The trains could be set up as tours, beaches, National Forests, urbans, historic St Augustine or a combination of all.

Last but not least we believe with the right planning and logistics we could invite the right team of cachers to Jacksonville to rest away the new world record for caches in 24 hrs from Nashville.

We appreciate the oppurtunity to be considered for this great event and we look forward to hearing from you all on your decision.

The Federation

President NEFGA

July 14 by Doc-Dean (403 found)

I am bummed out reading all these logs since I was not able to make it this year!! But I am already looking forward to next year...

I would agree with the folks from the Jacksonville, Florida area that they are a very logical choice for next year's event. I live about 5-600 miles from Jax but went up there for a weekend cache-a-thon. My group hit 112 caches in 24 hours and would have very easily done more if we were not hampered by 8 hours of pouring rain (ever try to find a micro or nano at night in pouring rain??) and one member of the team getting ill. I can attest that we saw a large variety of different types of caches and some amazing camoflage ideas. Just read any of the "Stress-House" series of caches to see an example. We also hit many different environments during our run - from beaches, to parks, to the woods, to small and large urban centers and Paintfiction's Anti-Micro crusade had me finding regular sized caches (ammo boxes, not tiny tuppaware) in places I would have never thought possible to hide anything but a micro. My experiences in Jax and at other events in the state has shown that NEFGA is highly organized and a very active group in their local area as well as state-wide. Several of the members are key members in the on-going organization of the Florida Geocaching Assocation.

Thanks IceCreamMan for the cc to this forum of my Geowoodstock note. I have to say the only negative to Jacksonville, FL is the fact that it is not in the central portion of the country. On the other hand, we are over 350 miles North of Miami so it's not like we're THAT far in the boonies. 10 hour (no caching) drive from Nashville, 12 hours from DC. Jacksonville International Airport has many $39 flights coming and going to major cities around the country if you plan far enough ahead (3 weeks or more) and TONS of rental cars! I'll bet I could get a boatload of NEFGA volunteers to make some airport runs if necessary. Did my other post mention we have TONS of caches? 500 within 15 miles of my house! Not to mention the excitement that is already building with the THOUGT of Geowoodtock being in NEFGA territory. I think we might just work our beloved admin Crow to the bone with new caches between now and then.

Of course, we understand that there are many variables to be considered in this very important decision so with that thought in mind, who do we send the check to settle this issue?

Jim

NEFGA Promotions Director

and because CCCooper Agency participated (and you know a lot of cachers couldn't stand her and everything associated with her).

If you would be so kind as to point me to the group and/or forum that is blasting CCCooper, I'd be more than pleased to verbally "rip them a new one" in a manner of speaking. I have had the pleasure of caching with CCCooper on more than one occasion and have seen nothing but good. It's a shame whiners have to take a jab at a truly great geocacher (in every sense of the word) for no reason other than jealousy.

Most sincerely,

Jim

P.S. I realize you are merely repeating what you heard/read but you should be ashamed of yourself for repeating it. Isn't that still spreading gossip? Is a flame still a flame when you're just repeating what you heard? Am I being a bit harsh with you? Maybe.... but read on...

Note to reader: You may think I am being especially protective of CCCooper or harsh with MOCKBA - Not so! Gossip within earshot of me about any one of my friends and you'll see that truly the pen is mightier than the sword. If I had time (take note of my find/post ratio) I would thoroughly enjoy putting some of the (pointless) flamers I see on these forums in their place. Doesn't anyone remember manners? SHEESH!

July 14 by IceCreamMan (1501 found)

I would like to add my voice (or text) to Paintfiction's call to have the next Geo-Woodstock in Jacksonville, Florida...

We've got the caches, we've got the cachers, we've got the amenities. We can do this thing.

Jacksonville sounds like a great possibility for GeoWoodstock3. I'd love to go on the St. Augustine run myself as I'm into the history more than the numbers.

My only request, already mentioned by Corps of Discovery and El Diablo (among others) in this or other threads, would be to seriously consider having it on a weekend other than the 4th of July. That may work for many, but there are also many for whom it won't work. I realize it's impossible to please everyone, but allowing the date to alternate would assist many who are otherwise obligated to family functions (with dedicated non-cachers) on the holiday weekend.

Please realize this is not a complaint and that I'm glad things went so well with GeoWoodstock2. Just hoping to join in on the fun in the future.

If you would be so kind as to point me to the group and/or forum that is blasting CCCooper, I'd be more than pleased to verbally "rip them a new one"

Oh. Please don't. I already apologized there for cross-posting very sketchy details into this thread and thus essentially inviting some posters from this forum to attack our guys, before they even got a chance to rethink their words. And the cacher who cringed about CCC in our local forum also apologized and deleted his passage. So everything is back to norm :unsure: and a fresh dose of flack may be unhelpful.

I have a good deal of respect to CCC BTW, although haven't had luck to meet her yet.

At least we got something positive out of my near-troll ... i.e. very interesting messages from Carleen about the technology and organization and psychology behind the new record - Thanks!