My Dnf Log Was Deleted?

I got home this afternoon and had a message in my inbox with a subject line that I've never seen before. It was a 'log deletion notice'. Hmmm??.....I thought, must be that cache that I found the duplicate of last winter. But when I checked, it was a deletion of a DNF log. Here's the log that was deleted....

Awwww, dern it! I looked for about 10 or 15 minutes to no avail. I could get a great signal at the blocks but once I started serious hunting I'd lose my way. I started to get cold and the dog was getting tired of it all.

No biggie, it gives me a reason to go back up there to enjoy that wonderful view again.

It's not a big deal to me, but I do wonder why the owner chose to delete my DNF log. What purpose did that serve?

Well, the cache owner mentioned encrypting anything that is a hint. Maybe because you mentioned "the blocks", the owner considers it a hint and wants you to encrypt it?

Just a guess! But if that was the problem, the cache owner really shoud have emailed you about it and let you know what was going on. Or encrypted it themselves and explained why.

Yeah, I don't see why someone would delete a DNF. Did you ask?

I've known a few people like that - anything that gave the slightest clue that something might be amiss with their cache, be it missing, poorly hidden, etc. was promptly deleted. I guess they were trying to maintain a nice shiny image for their caches, but in the absence of DNFs, I have to wonder how many people went after missing caches, only to be disappointed when they got there.

I once had a DNF deleted, but it was after the cache was replaced, and my DNF really was just a note that It appeared to have gone missing. No biggie. :D Now, if it was a note more like yours, I would wonder. Just email and ask. What is the worst they can do, re-delete the log? :o

ps. Happy Fourth! :o

AND Happy Tibet Day! :o

I've deleted several DNF's because the person totally gave away where the cache was (i.e., "I looked all over but all I saw at the posted coordinates was a piece of wood" when the cache WAS the piece of wood). I've also deleted finds for the same reason. In any case, I've emailed the person and explained why I deleted the log and invited them to re-post without the spoiler.

I've deleted several DNF's because the person totally gave away where the cache was (i.e., "I looked all over but all I saw at the posted coordinates was a piece of wood" when the cache WAS the piece of wood). I've also deleted finds for the same reason. In any case, I've emailed the person and explained why I deleted the log and invited them to re-post without the spoiler.

I think you're better off nicely asking the person to change their log. Sometimes log deletions cause hard feelings. If they refuse, then you have no choice.

Ditto. If its a mild give away or an easier rated cache, I'll give 'em a day or two to change the log. On 3 1/2 and 4 stars caches, I don't want give aways or hints up at ALL and delete them right away.

I do feel responsible to tell the cacher why I deleted the log.

I think you're better off nicely asking the person to change their log. Sometimes log deletions cause hard feelings. If they refuse, then you have no choice.

I've had good luck using this method. I've aslo has it used on me when my DNF log had so much information that they thought it was a spoiler (and yet I couldn't find it).

We deleted a find log because it mentioned a way to enter the park w/o paying the $2. As part of permission to place the cache, the park director is a nonpaying GC.com member and is watching the cache. I deleted it as soon as I got notified of the find and emailed the person and explained the situation. He reposted w/o the offending material- no problems.

I wholeheartedly agree, and that's my usual practice. Most people have no objections when I ask them to change their logs. However, there are a few cachers who just don't get it, and whom I can count on to ignore my requests, or to not respond in a timely manner. Only in those circumstances will I delete a log and ask them to re-post.

Late last year, my son and I went on a hunt. we were very new to caching still and never found the cache... So we posted this log.. It was deleted by the cache owner with the following::

"I take the time to find a nice location for a cache and I wind up getting a whole page of whining because you made a mistake and thought the summit log was my geocache.

It blows me away that you get on MY cache page and blame me for not mentioning the fact there was a summit log. By your own statement " from the waypoint we had no idea it was a new cache" you're saying you never saw the cache page. So obviously the fact I didn't mention there was a summit log had nothing to do with the outcome."

-------

Well my son and I learned a valuable lesson today. We are driving around doing a daddy-son day. No mom, No sister.

We climb baby jesus trail. We run around saddlebrook. We then see a waypoint on our GPS off a dirt road coming up. Off we head down it in our 2 wheel drive truck. He is laughing so hard that I start to laugh because we just hit a bump that gave us air time..

We come across a Windmill and get out to look around and snap a picture. I then show him the direction to the waypoint and ask him if he really wants to do it. He says he will give it a real good try.

Off we go. I swear we picked the absolute worst route to the top. It took us almost 1.5 hours, as we get close we find a cliff that we have to go up. I tell him that I do not think this is safe and that we will have to go back down. (you shoulda seen him face) so we decide to walk around the side and see if we can go on.. We found a small chiminy crack that we climb through with me directly on top of him. There is no way I am letting him slip.

We get to the top and turn the iQue back on. I see we are within 40 feet it says. We look around a few rocks then head over to the summit and lift some more rocks.. TADA!!!! Not one, but two glass jars. He does a little dance. I do a little dance. We are both exhausted from the climb and from worrying about him. We yank a sheet of paper out of the jar and sign away. replace the jar and figure we need to move ::now:: to avoid the rain and darkness that are coming in.

Uneventful trip down the mountain. We get home still talking about this and that from the peak. Get online and start logging our finds for the day. We get to this one and realize we have a problem.

1) from the waypoint we had no idea it was a new cache.

2) Never had we heard of a summit log.

3) We still are very unclear on what the freak a summit log is.

4) We appear to have signed the summit log and not the Geocache.

(5) All of which leads to why I asked the cache owner to post something letting others know that there is a summit log here.

We wont get credit for this cache. It will not be a check mark in the official geocache (I am beating your score) minds, but to my son and I .. We have done this cache and are very proud. My son just turned 7. He is in the First grade. I told him last night we might not get this cache as a check mark. His face fell but then he told me, 'It's ok, cause we know we did it' and that is all that matters.

(Dont use an iQue for GPS Hunting games) Anyway since the triangle that shows your location takes almost 40 feet on the screen when you are at the max zoom and it has no compass, it can be a little hard to find correct distance.

You just might find and sign something leaving when you should not have.

Enjoy your day!

-----

That was the 'Whole page of whining".. It was at this point we realized that we will cache as we want and enjoy the family fun of it.. We have no reason or need to make everyone else happy and smiley all the time. I also have learned to ignore certain people in the local area when needed :(

No doubt. I mean, geesh, if they didn't like your log, they could just delete it, not have to attack you too. Rude still, but not soooo mean.

You have the right idea, you weren't whining, some people's egos are just wound a bit too tight, :(

Sounds like your son has a good role model! :(

namaste

I will delete a DNF only if theDNF is my fault. For example, when I get "Fat Finger Syndrome" and mis-type the coords when I submit the cache.

Even then, I shoot a message to the cacher involved, and let them know what I'm doing, and why.

I have had one log that I put in deleted. That owner never said what he was doing or why, but I could guess. The same owner has never answered any e-mail that I have sent. These were harmless "ho-do-ya" types of questions.