What's The Best Flashlight

My first LED flashlight (a Brinkman from Wal-Mart) was quite blue, but I've noticed that the "white" LEDs are getting much better. I haven't bought a full-sized LED replacement yet, but the last one I tried had much whiter light.

Once, on a night hike on one of my kid's field trips, I was using the Brinkman and one of the mom's actually got mad at me because she said those halogen lights gave her a headache and hurt her eyes. I tried to explain that it was an LED and not a halogen car headlight and she got even more ticked off and asked me to turn it off or keep it away from her. Sheesh.

I'm looking for an LED lamp for my bike. Does anyone have any experience in using a headlamp (as in one of those lights that strap to your head) while biking? Is that reasonable?

Try using a Zebra H30-Q5

Their really small and have up to 80 lumens light output

YOU CAN NOT BEAT A SUREFIRE FLASHLIGHT surefire.com check them out ive got 5 and i love em, cw

Surefire ~schmurfire~

I have 2 Inovas that I used to swear by......

But this was just issued to me by my department.... for keeps. :D

A Smith & Wesson Luxeon Rebel 80 :):)<_<

It got me through Huricane Ike and now my wife wants one of her own.

REBEL80_MAIN.jpg

Here's the bottom line:

100 lumens

Fully Regulated

2 AA batteries

about 2 hours run time

Type II anodization

Tactical Tail Cap

includes batteries, holster, wrist lanyard and removable pocket clip

Will soon be available at www.opticsplanet.com and www.amazon.com among others. The press release is below...

PowerTech, Inc, maker of Smith & Wesson Flashlights, has officially announced the availability of its 2008 Smith & Wesson 5 Watt Luxeon Rebel LED Tactical Flashlight. The small 2 AA flashlight was designed for consumers and police departments, who want the extreme brightness and distance of the latest LED technology, yet aren’t comfortable with the cost of CR123 batteries.

This new 5 Watt Luxeon LED Flashlight is fully regulated which means the brightness you see with fresh batteries is the brightness you’ll see just before batteries are depleted. Special circuitry stores power from the batteries and then delivers just the right amount to the bulb to maintain maximum brightness.

At 100 lumens of brightness, the 5 Watt Luxeon LED flashlight is brighter than most 5 D battery cell flashlights, yet runs on the included 2 AA batteries for up to 2 hours. Consumers using 2 AA Lithium batteries can expect up to 10 hours of run time. The light also includes a removable pocket clip, wrist lanyard and a holster in addition to the 2 AA batteries. A true tactical tail cap switch allows users to twist all the way for constant on, or simply back off a half twist for momentary mode. Then, when you’re ready to put the light away, another half twist allows the light to safely be stored without worries of accidental illumination.

I was cacheing at dusk and pulled out my AA mini mag I carry. I just doesn't cut it. I have a 3D cell Mag lite that performs well but it's too heavy/long to carry in my pack.

What recommendations do you have?

Any have/like the "Surefire" Xeon lights? How do they work? I see the batteries only last 60-75 minutes?

How do you like LED flashlights? Bright enough?

I picked up one of the 3 watt LED mini mags and it's much brighter then the standard mini mag. I liked that so much I bought the 3 watt conversion kit for my 2C cell mag light and that's even brighter yet. I also use one of the LED Energizer head lamps when I am working on something and need both hands free. It isn't near as bright as the mag lights but for arms length work it more then does the job. All of the above is available at Wally World. I think you would like the conversion for your 3D cell mag light even if you don't use it for caching.

I was cacheing at dusk and pulled out my AA mini mag I carry. I just doesn't cut it. I have a 3D cell Mag lite that performs well but it's too heavy/long to carry in my pack.

What reccomendations do you have?

Any have/like the "Surefire" Xeon lights? How do they work? I see the batteries only last 60-75 minutes?

How do you like LED flashlights? Bright enough?

I love my 3 Watt LED two AA light. It's about the same size as a mini-mag, provides a ton more light and lasts twice as long on two AA's. It's a single LED type found at Target or Wal-mart for about $20.

I still love the maglites that I was using when I posted to this thread years ago.

For General Purpose Use they are pretty nice. I actually use the candle ability.

Most of the LED or expensive flaslights don't actually have as much utility. I've tried to use a Inova X3 (80 Lumens) for up close work. Too freaking bright. Nice throw though for long distance, or blinding a perp.

My perfect light would be a Maglight LED with the focusing beam. It would run on AA (CR123 is expensive) and have two modes. 80 Lumens super bright (Tactical Utility in blinding the doofie who needs it) and a 8-14 Lumen mode for general use and long runtime on the batteries.

I've seen some lights that have a dozen modes, and then all those modes again but with flashing enabled. I don't need all that.

I have found Fenix makes a version that's close. It's non focusing so you have to like what you get. It goes for 40-50 bucks. Pretty soon I'll get one for evaluation purposes.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I've been really hesitant about buying an LED light becasue they simply didn't impress me at night. I was in Lowe's a couple of months ago and came across a special on "Task Force" mini LED flashlights. Mine is roughly 4 inches long and holds one AA battery. I have been so impressed that it rarely leaves my hip.

It's the brightest LED that I've seen. It is so much better than my mini ag light. I find that I use it all the time now.

Call me crazy, but the all-round best light I've ever used is a Petzl carbide headlamp, for caving. Versatile, durable, incredibly luminous, cheaper than dirt. A little high maintenance--but what the hey... you can cook your meals on it too. So I wound up using my Petzl incandescent headlight as a back-up to the carbide lamp. I found it totally unequalled, and I'm sorry I sold it when I moved to the States.

Here's an explanation:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/index.php?p...arc&id=1851

I have an old style carbide lantern (the kind my grandfather coon hunted with in the old days) and I could not locate carbide for it. The only source I heard that still sold it was Lehman's Country Store. Called them and they said that they no longer carried it because of government red tape. Where do you get carbide for your Petzl?

I still love the maglites that I was using when I posted to this thread years ago.

An added advantage of the "Mini-Mag" during an emergency, is the availablity, of bulbs, and common batteries. There are very few stores that carry parts for all the speciality flashlights (especially the CR123 batteries.)

For this reason I always carry a LED converted "Mini-Mag" and a Sure-fire E2 series flashlight.

I have found there is nothing better then Surefire lights.

I carry a Surefire L1 LED daily along with a Surefire E20-HA.

I also have a number of surefire lights. I have tried many other high end lights but have found nothing better then Surefire.

If you think Surefire's are high priced take a look at some of the custom flashlights on this forum.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

Anything that cranks. I never have to carry extra batteries, I know it will work. I have a 3 - 5 LED crank flashlight, and I only paid like $8

This reviewer does all the testing himself and has quite a selection of lighting devices.

Fenix' figure predominately on the tests. I started with a Fenix S2D (11-175 lumens), but with 6 lighting modes, I found it impractical for caching. I returned it and exchanged it for the single-mode E20b (109 lumens & almost half the price). I just received the new two-mode TK20 (45 & 150 lumens). Both take 2AA batteries; like I them both very much!

I have used and still have the Streamlight 7-LED propoly 4AA, and the single-luxeon bulb model. Both are very good and tough, but a bit on the heavy side because of the 4 batteries.

I have a handful of Energizer headlamps, but I hate putting things on my head. Except for the hottest/sunniest days, I don't wear caps/hats either. OK, on some solo night hikes I do wear headlamps, but I face them backwards to help ward off predators. :huh:

Edited by Chuy!

I am very impressed with this flashlight.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.ph...products_id=195

I was so impressed, I bought one for one of our friends who regularly caches with us. I read some reviews http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/f...l1dce-l2dce.htm ..

In my searching, my first requirement was AA batteries. While the CR123 ( I think those are the ones) are really good and Surefire is a great product, you may find this is a middle road cost wise. Comparing this flashlight to others I have, AA Maglite (non LED), Led Lenser single AA LED, and Rayovac LED there is just no comparison.

Thanks

I’m a flashlight nut. Surefire makes great lights, but they are expensive and there are better options for your use. In my opinion, the best lights for geocaching would be a headlamp (I prefer the Black Diamond Spot LED headlamp for its battery life, weight and brightness) and a dive light from Underwater Kinetics (check out the UK SL4. It’s ridiculously bright (xenon bulb), and runs on 4 C batteries. It is also reasonably priced (approx. $20), practically bullet proof (has a rubberized bezel), waterproof and very reliable). For brightness portability, price, durability and battery life, this would be my Dream Team.

Good luck.

Wu

I’m a flashlight nut. Surefire makes great lights, but they are expensive and there are better options for your use. In my opinion, the best lights for geocaching would be a headlamp (I prefer the Black Diamond Spot LED headlamp for its battery life, weight and brightness) and a dive light from Underwater Kinetics (check out the UK SL4. It’s ridiculously bright (xenon bulb), and runs on 4 C batteries. It is also reasonably priced (approx. $20), practically bullet proof (has a rubberized bezel), waterproof and very reliable). For brightness portability, price, durability and battery life, this would be my Dream Team.

Good luck.

Wu

...Surefire ~schmurfire~

...A Smith & Wesson Luxeon Rebel 80 :DB):lol:

Here's the bottom line:

100 lumens

Fully Regulated

2 AA batteries

about 2 hours run time

Type II anodization

Tactical Tail Cap

includes batteries, holster, wrist lanyard and removable pocket clip...

I like the AA batteries.

That same regulation can also kick in a low power mode with 6-12 lumens (Mini Mag Level) so the light will last for a heck of a lot longer. If they choose to add it. When they add it, I'd love to try one out. I find the Tactical Brightness to have a little too much sizzle for practical and non tactical use. Especially up close.

Edited by Renegade Knight

So I wound up using my Petzl incandescent headlight as a back-up to the carbide lamp. I found it totally unequalled, and I'm sorry I sold it when I moved to the States.

I have an old style carbide lantern (the kind my grandfather coon hunted with in the old days) and I could not locate carbide for it. The only source I heard that still sold it was Lehman's Country Store. Called them and they said that they no longer carried it because of government red tape. Where do you get carbide for your Petzl?

Hi There... I would suggest trying a CAVING supply store... Should be some in T.A.G. country or close by.

That's some of the best CAVING country I've seen... Certainly there are some online... But I agree that post 9/11 rules must be cutting into sales... Of course the weirdest answer I've ever got re buying Calcium Carbide was when I called up the Head Office of Union CARBIDE in Canada and asked where I could get some... THEY didn't even know what it was!... at first... If you can't find a caving supply, try the local welding supply distributor... there are still some places that use it to generate acetylene for gas torches...

Watch the size (mesh) of the pieces... for headlamps, it has to be smaller than for larger generators like Petzl Belt type or the commercial welding rigs which are very large. If you do get it running, don't forget to dispose of the waste product safely... don't just dump it please... Try getting someone who knows the lamps to help you... overfilling etc can ruin a good lamp easily, and there are some tricks to getting the things to run... simple but neccessary, like seals, clean orfices, flints, damage control... But they are cool.

Try to keep warm with a flashlight! ON Topic... I like the Mini Mag AA 3watt LED... or cheap headlights...

for around the car... Pelican Heads up for SAR purposes.

Doug VE7RXC inactive caver