Online Magazine

The americans have an online geocaching magazine here

and i thought it might be nice to have something similar on this side of the pond for us in blighty and perhaps europe aswell.

I've mentioned the idea to Groundspeak and they are happy to endorse it but it would need people who would be happy to share their experiences on a fairly regular basis.

Please let me know what you think - has this been tried before?

Better still if you would like to help please visit uk magazine and get in touch!

Journalistic experience not necessary - but it helps to be a little mad!

thanks

Inukshuk

Edited by Inukshuk

Me and my now volunteered :) family would contribute. May be best if you start quarterly and increase the frequency if you get too many contributions :) have been involved in a club magazine in the past and getting good contributions can be hard allthough looking through the forums editing down may be your main problem. B)

Not seen it done before. The nearest was the article I did for G:UK on Seasiders 1000th find. I dont get much free time so I never got around to doing more. Let me know when you have done the first one and I will put a link on the G:UK forums and in the links section, also The Hokesters are doing a links page so let them know as well.

Good luck, Cant have too much geocaching stuff.

Brian

Edited by Deego
Better still if you would like to help please visit uk magazine and get in touch!

Journalistic experience not necessary - but it helps to be a little mad! thanks Inukshuk

What is it they say in the Forces "Never Volunteer" I will do something for the new mag, though not any idea as yet as to what it will be. One thing you can be assured of is that it will be nothing that is in anyway related to anything technical.

Possibly and my only idea to date for our first article -

The Spectrum Series In One Day - No Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow for us:-(alternatively known as being beaten hands down by "The King of UK Caching" Seasider).

Let me know if that will be ok.

Joan

:)B)B):tired::)

The americans have an online geocaching magazine here

and i thought it might be nice to have something similar on this side of the pond for us in blighty and perhaps europe aswell.

I've mentioned the idea to Groundspeak and they are happy to endorse it but it would need people who would be happy to share their experiences on a fairly regular basis.

Please let me know what you think - has this been tried before?

Journalistic experience not necessary - but it helps to be a little mad!

thanks

Inukshuk

Excellent idea!! :D:D

Sounds like a good excuse for a pint or two at a certain pub in Billinge to discuss some content!! ;)

We are due another NW meet anytime now (Nattybooshka are busy making wedding preparations for July so their Pennine event might be later in the year!!) so how about organising one near Billinge or St Helens to discuss the mag?! :)

Cheers!

Seasider

Inukshuk is now in possession of my article for the on-line magazine.

The article is titled

"No Pot of Gold At The End Of The Rainbow"

or

The Spectrum Series in one day

or

A Normal Days Caching With Cave Troll & Joan

Each title summed the article up so well, I couldn't decide which to use so decided on all three.

Hope you all enjoy it once Inukshuk publishes it.

Joan

:unsure::lol::lol::blink::lol::lol:

First To Publish -now there's another First for us.

The intreped cachers on a mission, in the days before we got our PDA electronic gizmo.

Wish we had purchased it before we went out on the Spectrum Series - how different the outcome could have been!!!!

Though on reading my story you will probably not agree as even a PDA cannot grant miracles.

Joan

:unsure::blink::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Cave Troll & Joan

I can't access the web page :blink:

If I try I get the following message:-

You are not authorized to view this page

You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.geocachingtoday.com home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden

Internet Explorer

Edited by Pharisee

:o I had designs on a global mag (delusions of grandeur i guess!) and registered the .com name before discovering the yanks already had theirs.

not to worry

i hope ours will be a bit different in that (initially at least) i'll publish items as they come in rather than just every few months.

Just need people to contribute!

Don't worry about the formatting, a word doc or even txt will do. I'll get it into web format.

the site was down for an hour or so last night whilst i did some surgery. should be ok today. please let me know if you have any more problems. i'm a beginner at this sort of thing. :blink:

thanks and best regards

inukshuk

Edited by Inukshuk
ever get the feeling youre getting in too deep?!?!?!?

:huh::(:huh:

I think you really need to improve your html skills before you take this project much further or try to get someone to give you a hand.

The report of the North Yorks meet doesn't display on macs because you have used the wrong kind of html file. You can't assume that everyone will be viewing the site on a pc using IE 6. It would be a shame to spoil a good idea and turn people off from looking at the site because things don't work first time.

Try downloading a trial copy of Dreamweaver MX from www.macromedia.com. It's the industry standard, fairly easy to use and produces tidy code that is rendered correctly on most platroms and browsers.

I think you really need to improve your html skills before you take this project much further or try to get someone to give you a hand.

Personally as a self taught web page maker myself, I think you are doing a Grand job. I wouldn't like to take on the challenge you have.

People should give advice before criticism at such an early stage in the proceedings.

If your work doesn't work on a particular machine, then I should have thought it better that the person email you directly rather than through the forum, to help you solve the problem.

Joan

:huh::huh:

Edited by Cave Troll & Joan

I actually agree with waspman apart from the fact that dreamweaver produces tidy code - it doesn't - its horrible code. Having said that it is a good effort, but I also had problems reading the file (as it was a mht file) that firefox doesn't read (and I'm on a pc too). If I wasn't too busy I'd offer to recode some of the files for you. Although I hate to say it, you might be better loading the mht file into word and then using the save as html option in word which would at least get round the mac/mozilla problem (and word also produces horrible html but it is a wysiwyg editor)

It took about 60 seconds to do this and produces several files which would then take a bit longer to upload but would improve readability for all clients.

Let me know if you want me to send you the files, upload them or if you want to do it yourself then thats great too.

edit: comment about words html skills.

Edited by DomHeknows

Just what you need when your doing your best - a pair of knockers!

anyway - i can take constructive criticism!

ive had a go at recoding the files you had problems with - let me know if there are still problems (preferably with suggestions as to how to get round them!)

i know the logbook isnt right yet but i think its the server side - i'll ring the webhost tomorrow and see if they can shed any light.

bestest regards

inukshuk

ive had a go at recoding the files you had problems with - let me know if there are still problems (preferably with suggestions as to how to get round them!)

i know the logbook isnt right yet but i think its the server side - i'll ring the webhost tomorrow and see if they can shed any light.

bestest regards

inukshuk

I'd like to think that my comments were constructive and I'm sorry if they seemed at little direct and to the point. Perhaps I should have emailed direct. My mistake.

My feeling has always been that if you don't point out something that doesn't work right, it never gets fixed.

BTW The Yorkshire event page works fine now that the format is htm.

Wish I had a pair..............

Keep up the good work matey and take the constructive critisism as it is intended...as constructive. I can also recommend Dreamweaver as it easily prepares pages for 'most' platforms and browsers how ever it is a little pricey if you want to buy it.

The Hokesters...

I did offer a work around and help ;-)

As far as the logbook is concerned, you are using frontpage extensions to do this and you need to ensure that you hosting company provides/allows frontpage extensions - a lot of hosting companies don't as they can be a right pain to configure securely. You may also find that they've banned any form of emailing script to stop hackers/spammers using it to send out their emails.

ok i've (hopefully) learned what frames do and have done a redesign!

please let me know what you think....

i know the logbook still isnt working but the hosting service have now agreed that the problem is on their side but they still havent fixed it.

let me know if you have any problems viewing and keep the contributions coming.

thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

i'm getting there slowly but surely

Geocaching Today ezine

best regards

inuk

Looking a lot nicer and it was an interesting read of eckington's. The only (slight) critisism is that the top frame is fairly large and means there is not much screen left in the bottom right to display the content. By the time i've got a couple of firebird toolbars open and the frame, the content starts half way down the page. You could gain a lot more space by moving the opening banner to the first page that loads (news.htm) above the rac link.

Just a suggestion!

:blink: Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions you've given me re the website. i've learned a lot in the last few days and i think i'm finally getting somewhere! :lol:

Thanks too to everyone who has contributed articles and pictures etc - the magazine will be nothing without them so please keep them coming in.

best regards

Inuk

ezine

Yes, it's looking much better and I'm glad you decided to ditch the frames. They are a real no-no these days.

Just one little thing that might make things tidier. Try to avoid capital letters and spaces in your page names.

http://www.geocachingtoday.com/agranddayout1.htm

works much better than:

http://www.geocachingtoday.com/A%20Grand%20Day%20Out1.htm

URL's are case sensitive once you get away from the root so having caps and spaces in there can cause problems.

As you say, you have learnt a lot in a week.

Alex.

Edited by Slytherin
:blink: Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions you've given me re the website. i've learned a lot in the last few days and i think i'm finally getting somewhere! :lol:

Thanks too to everyone who has contributed articles and pictures etc - the magazine will be nothing without them so please keep them coming in.

best regards

Inuk

ezine

Great idea putting links up to upcoming events too, especially as there is a link to my Exeter caching event ;)