How long does it take...

to get used to being stared at like some kind of serial killer or nut case when you're looking for a cache? icon_eek.gif

I went out this past weekend for the first time and the looks I got were entertaining to say the least icon_smile.gif

...Oh I did find 3,Whoo Hoo!

quote:
Originally posted by 1911:

to get used to being stared at like some kind of serial killer or nut case when you're looking for a cache? icon_eek.gif

I went out this past weekend for the first time and the looks I got were entertaining to say the least icon_smile.gif

...Oh I did find 3,_Whoo Hoo!_

Never. But the fun part is watching them when you stare back at themn like the serial killer they think you are.

Wherever you go there you are.

I got cured of that pretty quickly. AFter doing Seth!'s caches, you get past that. Try finding a cache where a barking, but friendly dog makes a racket in a quiet neighborhood! Then Dr. Koska's caches were really exposed in public places...I just explained what I was doing and show them the geo sheet if they appear to be wondering.

The oddest look we received was from a group of National Guard troops doing practice maneuvers in a State park we were caching in.

They were surprised to see three people out in the middle of nowhere huddled around a hollow log. They didn't say a word to us, but their faces said it all. icon_wink.gif

At least we were not taken prisoner, like my brother's archeological dig team was this summer. Apparently the Guard unit was told there would be "enemies" dressed like civilians, and mistook the students for the targets in their war game. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

Make clicking and whistling noises and they'll soon leave you well enough alone.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/soapbox.gif

LOL

I actually thought about doing something like this,unfortunately we have a state hospital for the criminally insane near by.With my luck,I would probably be arrested as an escaped "patient". icon_eek.gif

You get used to the stares. It is the folks who start asking questions and looking for what you are looking for that always weird me out.

*hint* don't cache in a long black trenchcoat! Especially in an airport or other "secure" area. This seems to get folks worried. One step in a Montana cache is in the display case at the airport! And the display case isn't the easiest location to find unless you ask for help. Always explain yourself to the guys with guns. icon_smile.gif

-Jennifer

Where am I going? I ain't certain.

When will I get there? I don't know.

All as I know is I am on my way!

quote:
Originally posted by Aksor+Raskol:

Carry a big roll of toilet paper in one hand as you watch your GPS with the other. Then act frantic as you look for the perfect place. You'll be left alone in no time.

Eww! Haven't tried that one yet.

On a more practical note, I've found that carrying a trashbag works wonders. "Yes officer, I'm just out here picking up trash."

Of course it helps if there is actually some trash in your bag. This has the added benefit of helping to clean up the environment, so I highly recommend it.

Scott / Brokenwing

First law of holes: If you get in one, stop digging.

We were out yesterday at some pretty dilapidated locations. Two women in such obscure places really makes things difficult to explain. We decided on the following: "We're students at the University, and we're doing a paper for History on the demise of southern structures."

I've found it difficult to do some traditional caches by myself. I have attempted them, but in areas where there are even just a few people, my presence seems to inspire too much curiosity. It makes me uncomfortable, and I haven't yet figured out a way around this other than to bring someone with me.

Ignore them and act like you know what you are doing and most people will forget about you and you can finish and leave the area.

Or if you have a camera with you act like you are taking their picture and write some notes in a notebook and really get them nervous and they will leave you alone.

Personally I like to walk around in a circle staring at my notes and GPSr, occasionally looking up to the sky and muttering dadgum, dadgum, dadgum, dadgum! It helps to occasionally wetting your finger with your mouth and holding it up for wind direction and speed! They tend to avoid me after that!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

I haven't got used to the stares, so I usually abandone the butt-pack and load my coat pockets. (Not sure what I'll do in summer)

Also, I take a "sighting" with the GPS periodically, and then pocket it in my coat while walking.

One thing is to be picking up trash.

Another one is to be walking a dog - that works very well if searching a public view cache.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

I find that having grandkids along helps. I tried to do a cache in a Chicago area neighborhood park on Friday and felt very conspicuous. I did not find it partly because I wasn't going to stay around long enough to find that micro. There was no trash to pick up. I could only wish for grandkids. People may not take kindly to a guy hanging around a playground/park. I would rather be out in the woods.

So I went and found some in the Forest Preserves.

The guises vary...

I've read of some local cachers going so far as to don the hard hat and walk around with a clipboard, which works wonders in city parks and areas where an animal would be beneficial (dog run) but you don't have one with you.

Not as a threatening item, but depending on where I'm at, the presence of my sidearm causes people not to question my motives. If I'm in 'business' attire, I may be mistaken for a police officer. Public parks where many children are around I leave it in the vehicle, and depending on the circumstances, may just tell the people around what I'm doing. It helps prevent you from being labeled a Chester the Molester if you're ducking around picnic tables or playground equipment.

Brian

Team A.I.

"Chester the Molester"! HAHAHA! I did a micro the other day, at the back of a park, full of kids, and you can bet I was being watched like a chickenhawk by the moms there...

Normally, if someone IS staring, you should drop the GPS (gently) and go into a half-crouch, then bend upright and beat your fists on your chest and howl and grunt like a gorilla in the mist..that always does the trick.