Cache Containers That Look Like Other Things

I don't like rules and I'm not proposing that we add more. I'm just wondering how other people feel about caches that are camoflagued as other things. Like sprinkler heads, hollow bolts, fake electric outlets, ect... I'm only a newbie so I don't have the experience of some of you cachers that have been around awhile but it seems irresponsible to me for people to use these kinds of containers to hide a cache. They make caches really hard for muggles to find but they also encourage people to try to take things apart that could cause a lot of damage.

I love creative containers! You can only place/find so many ammo cans and tupperware in a pile of rocks before it all starts to look the same. I think creativity, in containers, hiding spots, cache types, etc. is what keeps it interesting - especially when you are talking about urban placements where the hike and the nature may not be the draw.

Hopefully, cache placers are responsible about where they place containers that look like other things (not sure the fake socket is a great idea, unless it's "obvious"). No one should place caches of any type in areas that are likely to suffer significant damage as a result of a search - indoors or out.

After you've done this for a while, you'll be amzed at some of the clever and creative caches you encounter!

I don't like rules and I'm not proposing that we add more. I'm just wondering how other people feel about caches that are camoflagued as other things. Like sprinkler heads, hollow bolts, fake electric outlets, ect... I'm only a newbie so I don't have the experience of some of you cachers that have been around awhile but it seems irresponsible to me for people to use these kinds of containers to hide a cache. They make caches really hard for muggles to find but they also encourage people to try to take things apart that could cause a lot of damage.

Yup, have seen each of the types you mentioned, as well as caches in ground sprinkler vaults, library return boxes, water fountains, books 'in' a library, etc. Enjoyed the heck out of each the first time I found each of those types. People are 'very' creative....

There is a cacher in our area who is ExtremlY clever with such containers. He has some fantastic hides, his name is Dan-oh if you want more info. He will send you pics of his containers, IF you aren't in So Cal.

However, I did notice in one area that some people (out of desperation I think) did take apart some sprinkler heads....I was tempted myself, but knew better as they were tooooo small.

I haven't noticed any such around other of his caches though, just the one. :D

golanv

There is a cacher in our area who is Extremely clever with such containers. He has some fantastic hides, his name is Dan-oh if you want more info. He will send you pics of his containers, IF you aren't in So Cal.

Guess I'm not paranoid, people are watching me.

IMHO, specialty containers should come apart or open with out tools. Magnets and Velcro work wonders to make these things look official and solid when in fact, they aren't. I have several containers that look normal but there is usually a give away, something not quite right. Once you touch it, you know whats up.

I know you said you didnt want to make it a rule but, I just got point something out here. Are implying that creative containers should be banned? Come on people no more silly rules!!!!

I have never heard of cases where people have destroyed stuff. Besides almost all the stuff we are supposed to stay out of is locked, meaning the cache can sometime be easy to spot.

However, I did notice in one area that some people (out of desperation I think) did take apart some sprinkler heads....I was tempted myself, but knew better as they were tooooo small.

Like what Sparky said, you think the sprinkler head is too small?!?!? Some cachers at this weekend's meeting where showing us some scary stuff say about the size of your pinkie nail and yes it had a log in it!

I second Amazingracer on the too small issue. OMG Im praying I dont run across any of the "nano micros" I saw this past weekend. But as a fairly new person w/ only 80 finds I am already looking for something different, more challenging etc. I loved the "fake rock" find we made not to long ago. (thanks AR) No such thing as too well disguised or too small as long as it has a log of course. Thats why there is a Diff rating! yay.. cache on! :D

Hehehehe, Team GPSaxophone, I meant that the sprinklers in the area that people were taking apart were tooo small, so I knew that it wasn't that, even though it was a bit tempting after lots of pacing. :D Dan-oh, yours are my very favorites to date. B)

thanks for the creative challenges!

B)

golanv

Edited - PS. Gee whiz *blush*, I guess I really should finish reading all the responses before I answer. I admit, I am probably limited in my thinking of small containers, I guess I just really knew they were real sprinklers. :D hehehehee.

Edited by golanv

The idea is that if you are observant you will recognize that something is out of place.

For example an electrical box by an outdoor sign. When you think about it the switch for the sign would be inside or people would play with the sign.

Every sprikler head cache I've found is different than the ones that obviously belong in the park but... you have to realize that the cache on is different to notice it.

And so on.

Just a quick question. What difficulty level would the caches like the fake electrical boxes and sprinklers be set at?

it would probably depend on the area. put one out in the woods and i would think a 0. :D the electrical box i found was also had a code to figure out first so it was rated a 4.

I've got a couple of hides like that and have not seen any damage to the area. You can sleep soundly knowing fake electrical boxes and the like are OK.

What difficulty level would the caches like the fake electrical boxes and sprinklers be set at?

Maybe a two depending on the area. I have one and have only fooled one person so far. This one on the other hand, I'm pretty proud of. :lol: Only one finder so far and he got a hint. Plus there are a few more people who haven't logged DNFs. The surprisingly simple trick upon request via PM.

I have a mirco hidden in a teeny patch of City Park owned land. The micro costed me $25 to build. It is a film canister, and it is inside a small log (limb from a Cherry tree). I used a 1 5/8" forstner bit (hence the 25 bucks) to drill out the space for the film canister. Phone calls and purple frownies from seachers - I rated the cache 4 1/2.

The creative containers are what make this game worth playing for me. Think back through the ones you have found, which ones really stick out in your memory? For me it is always the clever containers, the ones that made you get out of the box and play there.

i have a couple of these and I always enjoy reading the logs on these especially the finds after acouple of no finds. It is pretty satisfying to find one and realize that you touched it three times before you realized that it was the cache.

I like the creative containers.

When placing a cache you have to weigh whether your cleverly disguised electrical box cache is going to get the nearby fusebox dismantled by an overzealous seeker just as much as you have to ask whether the ammo box you're about to place near the field of endangered wildflowers is going to end in them being trampled.

I think it's more about common sense on the hider's part. If you are concerned about one cache in particular, talk to the owner and if you still have concerns, talk to your area reviewer and get their POV too.