Ready To Set My 1st Cache!

KSWader

greenandyellow.jpg

I am ready to set my first cache in this next week. I have the location approved and permission granted but waiting on completing another cache to place first. I have promised another person that their area will be the first cache placed in Sheridan Co., Kansas. So I better get them moving along.

I thought I would post a photo of the cache to see what everyone thought. From reading the boards I have tried to pick up on things that would be a good cache. This cache will be called Green and Yellow Cache and you can see why. The location will be a quick easy find that the casual person would not stumble on. The general look from the area is where I came up with Green and Yellow and is very easy to see why! This is a theme cache and I will have cachers try to stay with the theme if they can but it is not necessary.

I have included in the cache Johnny Tractor TB, John Deere mousepad, Yellow and Green unicorn, JD cup, JD 1/64 scale tractor, yellow and green playdoh, JD balloons, 4 JD keychains, JD pen, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, green and yellow water guns, gold plated (yellow) Susan B. Anthony Dollar, LE 25 Green & Yellow Cache buttons for the first 25 finders, 2 Cache-In Trash-Out kits as well as the log book and welcome letter.

Our family is very excited at placing our first cache and we think it turned out very well!

From the picture, that cache is nicer than about 80 percent of the 500-something physical caches I've found. You've dressed up your container nicely, identified it as a geocache rather than a bomb, you have a theme that's easy to follow, you've stocked it with good items, you've carefully selected a hiding place, and you've obtained permission.

All I can say is, go hide 10 more like this. The world needs more hiders like you.

Excellent job. Better than 90 percent of the caches I've seen. Just one minor thing. Depending on the surroundings, that color green could stick out like a sore thumb, so make sure its hidden very well and far off the beaten path, or it won't be long before it "walks away". That or try an more natural looking green.

Edited by briansnat
that color green could stick out like a sore thumb

The green is the standard John Deere green spray paint and yes it is very bright! The location it is going to be at cannot be seen from the road and it is an area that does not get walking traffic. So I think it will be very safe - I have never seen anyone walk in that area and I have been by the area 5-6 times a week for 3 years! I will try to make it a harder hid with branches, etc. on it.

wonder how far away I am from your location. I'd love to find that cache.

The cache will be hidden in Hoxie, Kansas zip 67740 - next closest cache will be Mingo - the oldest still active cache which is a little over 25 miles away from it. Need to get busy to get more saturation of caches in the area. The Green and Yellow will be an easy and fun cache for the kids.

Excellent job. Better than 90 percent of the caches I've seen. Just one minor thing. Depending on the surroundings, that color green could stick out like a sore thumb, so make sure its hidden very well and far off the beaten path, or it won't be long before it "walks away". That or try an more natural looking green.

You could always wrap it up in a black plastic garbage bag to make it blend in with the surroundings more :blink:

Just kidding!!! Please don't flame me too much :D That is a great looking cache! There are some lucky cachers in your area right now!

brian probably is right about the color, but whatever you do, please ignore the plastic bag comment at all costs!!! I really hate putting my hand into one of those to retrieve a cache container :D

Hope the cache has a long a prosperous life!

Where did you get all the John Deere stuff anyway?  Obviously you or someone you know works at a John Deere dealership...

Yes I know someone that works for John Deere - ME! I am the Service Administrator at the local John Deere - pretty much what the means is I type almost all day! Anyway I ususally have quite a bit of time to check the boards as I have become a very fast typer! LOL

Most of the stuff in the cache was pretty cheap, give-aways or stuff I already had on hand. I actually have quite a bit more Green & Yellow that would not fit into the ammo box. The ammo box was sprayed with John Deere spray paint and then all the decorations are old tractor decals that were at the dealership that were not usable or left over from kits in the last 5 years.

I will definitely leave the plastic bag away from the cache. I will be very interested to see how long the first finder takes to find it as the next nearest cache on the interstate can takes a week or so between visits. The cache is about 26 miles north of the interstate - I have been working on getting a cache route worked up that would take people off the interstate and then take them back on the interstate around the Mingo cachearea.

Thanks for all the great feedback! It makes we want to make similar theme caches in this area!

I have to say that is one of the coolest cache containers I have seen. My son would go crazy over a cache like that he is only three and has a few little John Deere tractors he has found in caches. His favorite color is green and never passes up a tractor or truck in a cache. Great job!!!!

OMG! That is very cool! Themed geocaches are always great. You went all the way to make a great looking cache. Good job with seeking all the proper permissions and everything.

I'm working on something similar. After I recent trip to Texas, I picked up a bunch of nice soveniers and brought them back with me. It includes several books, stickers, magnets and all sorts of cool Texas stuff. I'll be releasing that cache here in Los Angeles soon. Everybody loves a themed cache. :rolleyes:

Edited by ShowStop

I am currently working on a cache to get done by the weekend and hopefully will be able to place both this Saturday.

I will get a photo of the one I am working on once it is completed. I have received permission to place a cache out our Home-Owned county Fair/Carnival. The fair board thinks it will be wonderful to have a cache in the carnival area. The place I can hide it will be away from traffic but smack dab in the middle of the kiddie train ride in the ladscaping. That is the area I am looking at but might end up placing it somewhere else. So have some scouting to do. I am planning on painting the cache with fair/carnival theme on the outside. The Fair Board is going to fill out the cache with prizes that are given out at the carnival. This should be a really neat and fun cache for the kids. The cache will probably even be handicap accessible! I am really getting into theme caches and they are a lot of fun to work on.

I am also looking to do an International cache swap so hopefully soon I will be putting together a USA/Kansas cache.

Congrats on GETTING IT and creating a waaay cool cache for your area. I really hope that finders respect all of your hard work and efforts, and keep the quality of the contents and the hide at its current level. Please don't get discouraged if they don't though.

I'm with RK-it's a five percenter! :rolleyes: I wish I had an excuse to come find it.

PS you mentioned using sticks for the hide. Be sure the pile looks natural with minimal parallel items. Nothing screams 'Cache hidden here' like a pile of sticks all facing the same direction. :ph34r: