Multi Loggin

Was checking the logs on a locationless today to see if anyone had used my spot yet.

Boy was I surprised to see that while no one has used my find yet, I did see that someone had logged 42 different 'finds' for the same cache. How can you possibly log 42 finds on a locationless if the rule is one find per cacher?

Anyone got a higher count than this one?

Wulf

You generally should log a locationless cache once and only once. Some pathetic people will do it many times. Look upon them with pity.

This kind of behavior is why I refuse to log any locationless caches until they are a separate section.

Edited by fizzymagic

Some people are into this game just to get high numbers and the "prestige" that comes with them. They will do anything to get those numbers including cheating. The thing is that most of us know who these people are and they certainly don't have any prestige within geocaching community.

ou generally should log a locationless cache once and only once. Some pathetic people will do it many times. Look upon them with pity.

This kind of behavior is why I refuse to log any locationless caches until they are a separate section.

It isn't just locationless caches. I've seen multiple finds on many traditional caches. I've also seen owners who log finds on their own caches when they do maintenance trips :PB)B):PB) .

Edited by briansnat
It isn't just locationless caches. I've seen multiple finds on many traditional caches. I've also seen owners who log finds on their own caches when they do maintenance trips

I recall reading at least two locationless caches that actually state that you can log more than once. I don't agree with multiple logging of locationless caches whether allowed or not.

New cachers sometimes use the Found selection when they should use the Note of NF. Maintenance trips to your own cache or one that you have logged as a find, of course, should never be logged as a find. I would expect that those BrianS found might be new cachers. If not then they are playing a different game then 95% of us are.

Some people are into this game just to get high numbers and the "prestige" that comes with them. They will do anything to get those numbers including cheating. The thing is that most of us know who these people are and they certainly don't have any prestige within geocaching community.

ou generally should log a locationless cache once and only once. Some pathetic people will do it many times. Look upon them with pity.

It isn't just locationless caches. I've seen multiple finds on many traditional caches. I've also seen owners who log finds on their own caches when they do maintenance trips :rolleyes::):):):blink: .

I have also seen several people log a find for their own cache for maintanance visits. I have also seen a cache owner log his cache several times in a row as found saying, "hey I just want to up my find count". I emailed him and explained that its not about the numbers and he deleted half of them.

Can you give us a link to the cache page?

I just set up 3 CITO caches where I'm allowing players to log twice. Once for finding the cache and once for filling up a bag with trash. A photo of them with the bag and GPS is required for the second log.

Several of the geocaching events around here have allowed multiple logging of the event. Once for each of the temporary caches at the event. I.e., if there are 10 'this day only' caches then a person can log the event 11 times -- once for the event itself and 10 times for the caches. Personally I do not like this in part becasue the 'day only' caches tend to be so easy and part because I feel that the event itself is the cache -- heck, why not log a multi-cache once for each step, it is the same logic in my eyes -- but some people like doing this. Whatever spins their wheels. :rolleyes:

Please note that at the bottom of the description, it clearly says:

Please apply the usual locationless cache rules - one find per cacher, each find can be logged only once.

Perusing the logs, I saw several people who had logged multiple finds. All of them are cheaters. Period. Binthair seems to be the worst.

Why is it that all the notorious geocaching cheaters have been from Canada?

That's not gray area at all. It's black and white, and they shouldnt be logging more than one find PERIOD. Unless specified on the cache page as okay by the owner.

Do you have a link to some rule where it states you can only log a cache once? You seem pretty certain about that.

I never have double logged a cache as that isn't my thing. But I have had some users double and even triple log my caches. They aren't cachers with high numbers. Even if they were I could care less.

Wow! There were some great murals on the Murals Across America cache page. So now I have a side question about logging virtuals, as I have not logged any yet. On this cache page, I know one I would like to add. Is there a quick way to see if someone else has already logged it? Or do I have to scroll down each previous find (and there is a lot, over 800!) and see if I find it? Seems like there should be a way to enter the coords and search, but I don't think that would work. Ideas? And again, so I don’t make a faux pas: Even if I know of several different murals, I should only log and count one, correct?

Do you have a link to some rule where it states you can only log a cache once? You seem pretty certain about that..

It was on the owner's cache page.

I never have double logged a cache as that isn't my thing. But I have had some users double and even triple log my caches. They aren't cachers with high numbers. Even if they were I could care less

Since, according to the standard locationless cache rules a location can only be used once, this guy has effectively made 41 potential locations unavailable to other geocachers.

Please note that at the bottom of the description, it clearly says:

Please apply the usual locationless cache rules - one find per cacher, each find can be logged only once.

Perusing the logs, I saw several people who had logged multiple finds. All of them are cheaters. Period. Binthair seems to be the worst.

Why is it that all the notorious geocaching cheaters have been from Canada?

I would like to add that the rule

was added after Binthair's logs, he enjoys doing locationless caches and all without a digital camera. He uses a 35mm and scannes in each photo. I have met with Binthair and he is a good guy, this is not a numbers game and we each play the game our own way. He has not logged this cache since the rule was added. I do not see this as cheating, especially if the cache owner has not deleted the logs or contacted any of the cachers in question. He does have a copy of the cache page prior to the edit adding the rule.

Hi All! I am the owner of the Murals caches and thought I would provide some insight. Those multiple logs were logged _before_ the "one find per cacher" rule was in place. Policies for locationless caches were not as well-developed as they are now. I spoke to J and company to address some of the problems and possible solutions specific to locationless caches. This resulted in some of the current normal locationless cache rules. So, those multiple finds were "grandfathered in" and a new rule was put into place to prevent them in the future.

I'm glad that some of you have enjoyed the murals found in these cahces. I continue to be amazed at the positive response I have gotten. I am also amazed at how much "policing" a locationless cache requires!

TVN

Edited by TVN
Thanks Wulf for the 'control F' tip. I had never used that before and it made fast work of reading through all the logs to see if the one I have in mind had already been photographed. :rolleyes:

I use Ctl F and search for the first number of latitude, such as 39 for 39 degrees north.

This takes a bit longer because you get every 39 on the page; 39 finds, 39 minutes, etc., but those can be quickly passed over. For every 39 that is degrees latitude I quickly glance to the degrees longitude to see if it is mine. This way I don't miss an entry when a person doesn't identify the city. For locationless caches with 400+ entries it still takes less than 60 seconds to do this search.

Searching in this manner you will spot some of your geocaching friend's finds because the parameter is broader.

ONCE . . . no question about that! No gray area. If I were you, I would delete all but the original log and send him an e-mail explaining that you can only log a cache one time.

But, I suppose that's up to you.

What's this guy thinking? Trying to boost his numbers?? Who is this guy trying to impress?

idiot.jpg

Whatever, never-the-less!

Happy caching and stuff! :D

Hi All! I am the owner of the Murals caches and thought I would provide some insight. Those multiple logs were logged _before_ the "one find per cacher" rule was in place. Policies for locationless caches were not as well-developed as they are now. I spoke to J and company to address some of the problems and possible solutions specific to locationless caches. This resulted in some of the current normal locationless cache rules. So, those multiple finds were "grandfathered in" and a new rule was put into place to prevent them in the future.

I'm glad that some of you have enjoyed the murals found in these cahces. I continue to be amazed at the positive response I have gotten. I am also amazed at how much "policing" a locationless cache requires!

TVN

Well I'm glad the the cache owner cleared that up for us. That is far too rare in here, but then again the forums are only frequented by a small percentage of cachers.

I wondered if a rule change had been put in place since there seemed to be a number of multiple finders. I also noticed a few domestic logs as well. I wonder if that was changed too? :D

Hi All! I am the owner of the Murals caches and thought I would provide some insight. Those multiple logs were logged _before_ the "one find per cacher" rule was in place. Policies for locationless caches were not as well-developed as they are now.

Maybe that covers Binthair, but it certainly doesn't address the 4 logs entered by Dagg in March of 2003. Yet another Canadian cheater. Wow.

Sorry, this explanation just doesn't cut it.

Hi All! I am the owner of the Murals caches and thought I would provide some insight. Those multiple logs were logged _before_ the "one find per cacher" rule was in place. Policies for locationless caches were not as well-developed as they are now.

Maybe that covers Binthair, but it certainly doesn't address the 4 logs entered by Dagg in March of 2003. Yet another Canadian cheater. Wow.

Sorry, this explanation just doesn't cut it.

Ok, I am starting to take exception to this, if you want to scrutinize some other cachers beside us cheating Canadians, why don't you try this cache, Murals Arcoss American. Its not a numbers game and does not affect you, so don't let it bother you.

Edited by Car37&Shnde

Just thought I'd pop in and state that at no point was I accusing anyone of being a cheater and I certainly didn't think we'd end up accusing Canadians of being notorious cheaters. Since the 'one find' rule was put on this cache after the fact, I see nothing wrong with the multiple finds. I've talked to TVN about another of their caches and understand how dificult it is to monitor the number of logs a locationless cache generates.

Wulf

I don't agree with multiple logging of the same cache or being able to log your own cache, but if the Geocaching.com website allows it, then perhaps it's okay. After all, it is not difficult for the site to control multiple logins, or to disallow logging your own cache, etc. Obviously, there is no code in place to control it which leads me to believe it's not a concern. Of course, if they do put code in place to control login counts, a lot of people's totals will suddenly plummet!