Things That Make A Good Hiding Spot.

Odwolda

Hi once again from a bored cacher. Anyways, straight to the point:

Soon I'll be taking a trip to Mammoth Caves Natl. Park and we'll be stopping at plenty of spots along the way. I'm planning on taking at least 10 caches to hide so I was wondering; What's make up a good hiding spot?

We all know the general stuff (location, view, and coverage) but what are things you look for when hiding a cache? Also, I'm all ears for good containers.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this weekend we'll be introducing some friends to caching, so here's hope they'll like it! Better tell them to brace for the addiction...

Edited by Odwolda

Soon I'll be taking a trip to Mammoth Caves Natl. Park and we'll be stopping at plenty of spots along the way. I'm planning on taking at least 10 caches to hide so I was wondering; What's make up a good hiding spot?

We all know the general stuff (location, view, and coverage) but what are things you look for when hiding a cache? Also, I'm all ears for good containers.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this weekend we'll be introducing some friends to caching, so here's hope they'll like it! Better tell them to brace for the addiction...

Somewhere that isn't a high traffic area is most ideal. I hate, hate, hate, paranoid caching.

Sn :lol::huh: gans

It takes more than a good hiding place to make a good cache. And what I'm curious about is the simple fact that you have 9 finds and 1 plant all in Maryland so are you planning on making ten lame roadside vacation caches. :lol:

As you stated:

"Soon I'll be taking a trip to Mammoth Caves Natl. Park and we'll be stopping at plenty of spots along the way. I'm planning on taking at least 10 caches to hide so I was wondering; What's make up a good hiding spot?"

Talk to your regional admin and ask them what they think of 10 pending vacation caches. I would like to hear what they have to say.

It takes more than a good hiding place to make a good cache. And what I'm curious about is the simple fact that you have 9 finds and 1 plant all in Maryland so are you planning on making ten lame roadside vacation caches. :huh:

As you stated:

"Soon I'll be taking a trip to Mammoth Caves Natl. Park and we'll be stopping at plenty of spots along the way. I'm planning on taking at least 10 caches to hide so I was wondering; What's make up a good hiding spot?"

Talk to your regional admin and ask them what they think of 10 pending vacation caches. I would like to hear what they have to say.

Dang...that was gonna be my question! :lol:

I agree with the others. Vacation caches are a bad idea unless you have arranged in advance for local cachers to take care of them.

On topic: I'm somewhat of a traditionalist. My favorite place for a cache is beneath the pile of sticks next to a tree. :lol:

Well, one of the two I just placed was inside a hollow tree (trite, yes?), and the other was under a fallen tree (trite again, yes?), but most of the ones I've found have actually been under cedar trees, the kind with the branches that hang to the ground.

The best HIDING spots are in places near enough to your home that you can easily check on them without undue strain in a reasonable amount of time.

Unless you travel to KY regularly, KY is NOT such a place. It seems to be a right smart piece from Maryland.

Oh, and don't let the ranger see you placing one in MC. They got this National Park thing going on there... they don't like us very much.

Edited by ChurchCampDave

Place the cache someplace you like or is special to you, because you are inviting me and other cachers to share that place with you. The placements of your caches are a reflection on you, the type of person you are and the type of things you enjoy. If you like one mile walks along a stream-that’s the perfect spot. If you enjoy a secluded corner of a local park, a view from a mountain top, or the sound of a waterfall these places are the places for your caches. Take us to the place you proposed , got your first kiss or broke you arm as a child. If you like grabbing 20 easy caches instead of 1that is a full days hike that’s the type of caches you should place.

With all the different personalities involved in this sport you can not please everyone, however, since we all love this sport any cache you place will be appreciated.

Happy Caching. :blink:

GEO.JOE

They're new. so this stuff will happen.

It's amazing what some cachers don't know until they come to the forums. I think that's why you see a lot of "I planted this ridiculous cache that no approver would even think about approving, and it got archived, those lousy jerk approvers" threads. Those threads are almost always a cacher that had no idea what the guidelines are, and one of their first forum posts is a nasty rant.

If you read the forums regularly, the guidelines (and their subtle nuances) come up all the time, along with other cacher's take on them.

Fortunately Odwolda is finding out BEFORE the caches are hidden, that vacation caches don't get approved, (without a local cache caretaker, near the cache, with an account on geocaching.com, so that they can be emailed by TPTB, and other cachers, minimum). That may make all the difference between a disgruntled ex-cacher, and a lifelong cacher.

So I hope Odwolda comes back and reads this thread, if only to save themselves some frustration.

edited to remove log reference.

Edited by martmann

As Odwolda's local buddy, I do have to echo the concerns about placing 10 caches, not because of the number of finds he has, but because of them being vacations caches.

Odwolda, you may also want to stick to planting them close-by... without transportation, you'll have to rely on your parents to take you back to the spot you placed the cache if and when it needs maintenance. Carefully reconsider your desire, and plan some more closer to home. These will be of higher quality since you can check them, and definitely more deservant of the Odwolda name.

:blink:

It's amazing what some cachers don't know until they come to the forums. I think that's why you see a lot of "I planted this ridiculous cache that no approver would even think about approving, and it got archived, those lousy jerk approvers" threads. Those threads are almost always a cacher that had no idea what the guidelines are, and one of their first forum posts is a nasty rant.

The thing is that the guidelines are clearly stated and you have to check a box that certifies that you read them before you submit your cache. So the fact that someone doesn't come to the forums is no reason for them to plead ignorance.

The thing is that the guidelines are clearly stated and you have to check a box that certifies that you read them before you submit your cache. So the fact that someone doesn't come to the forums is no reason for them to plead ignorance.

Yup...... :blink: I tried that, oh so many weeks ago, when I was a noob......didn't work for me......nobody would let me get away with it! Those little check boxes aren't there as an annoyance factor, they're there to make sure you've read the guidelines!

That's why I think it's amazing. Of course you should read the rules, and not coming to the forum is no excuse, was kid of my whole point.

It's amazing how many people don't read the rules.

Thanks to Lolita for appointing herself moderator.

Your point is a good one.

It seems like I am constantly being asked if I agree with some guidelines or another. I have to admit that I have, at times, clicked my agreement without actually reading the guidelines. That being said, it is not unimaginable to think that someone would hide vacation caches and later complete the form - without ever knowing about the 'no vacation caches' guideline.

Don't forget that in order to place a cache, you need to get the permission of the landowner or the land manager! I was surprised by our county parks security guy...when I mentioned that I wanted to place a cache in one of the parks, he knew nothing about geocaching, despite the fact that there were already lots of caches out there. It gave me a chance to sell geocaching, but I had to make some emergency e-mails to other cache owners to let them know that he expected to be notified whenever a cache is placed.

What makes a good hide?

1. NOT in a National Park

2. NOT a vacation cache

3. According to cavers, NOT in fragile cave environment (do not open this can of worms again, thank you)

4. NOT in some lame rest stop, ask Questmaster about that!

5. NOT too close to a Railroad

6. NOT near a military base or some other government area.

7. NOT in a National Wildlife Refuge.

8. YES in an area you can get to if maintenance is called for.

9. YES in a stone wall, but ONLY if you make sure you state on your cache page not to move any stones (we have an issue right now about this)

10. YES in a tree, under a tree, around a tree, up in a tree, camouflaged as a tree.

11. YES in any area where cachers will not be accused of terrorism :blink:

12. YES under water, near water.

13. Yes on an island (please respect nesting areas)

14. Yes along a bike path.

15. YES up a mountain

16. YES to anywhere that you think is a nice spot to bring cachers too, even a spot you think might benefit from the trashing out cachers provide. As long as (and this is of the utmost importance) you can maintain it easily.

17. YES to the zillion other great ideas out there that work.

But don't place any on this trip, they won't be approved.

Jeez, some of you people need to take a chill pill. For one thing, I wasn't even totally decided on placing them anyway. As a matter of fact, the thought had just crossed my mind while reading and I posted it about 10 seconds after. Sorry if I completely destroyed your lives by posting an unconfirmed decision. Good god.

Thanks to those of you who weren't total jerks though, but let's forget anything I said about me placing them or whatnot. Back to the main topic idea...

Oh and btw did you ever consider the fact that maybe the reason I don't have 500+ caches found is because I've been buried in 2 feet of snow for the past 10 weeks?

Edited by Odwolda
Jeez, some of you people need to take a chill pill. For one thing, I wasn't even totally decided on placing them anyway. As a matter of fact, the thought had just crossed my mind while reading and I posted it about 10 seconds after. Sorry if I completely destroyed your lives by posting an unconfirmed decision. Good god.

Thanks to those of you who weren't total jerks though, but let's forget anything I said about me placing them or whatnot. Back to the main topic idea...

Oh and btw did you ever consider the fact that maybe the reason I don't have 500+ caches found is because I've been buried in 2 feet of snow for the past 10 weeks?

I suppose this is off-topic, but I think everyone's responses in this thread were pretty reasonable. I don't see how anyone was 'jerky'. Mmmmm, jerky.

This has to be a joke -- no one would seriously consider doing 10 vacation caches, and posting to this web site that they are doing 'vacation caches' when the rules are very clear about this. My sense is that this is a post designed to create interesting responses -- not a serious attempt to get input.

If you want some ideas about how to hide caches near your home or work place, I'll be glad to provide a list, but I'm not interested in supporting vacation caching.

Alas, you just can NOT let it go. I said just forget about it, as I was tired as heck and I posted this the SECOND I thought of it. In other words, I didn't have too much time to think about it. So please excuse my ignorance and move back to the main idea. At least I didn't come bashing back at you.

Because I'm also trying to get ideas for hiding them, if it bugs you so much why don't you just leave. And I said at least I didn't bash back at you. Gah....just, please, let it go. If you don't have any ideas than don't post back trying to win over. It was a stupid idea, sorry for posting it, I didn't know it was such a problem. There you go. Now arguing back isn't going to get you anywhere so buh-bye.

The hiding spot doesn't matter, it's the place where it's hidden that matters.

<zen_mode = off/>

Find a beautiful place, then hide the cache somewhere nearby. When you've found the beautiful place then the hiding place will make itself apparent.

and yeah, good luck getting vacation caches approved. your best bet is to get some local to join and help you out. oh, and no national parks. won't happen.

Edited by WalruZ

I had never really thought about it until now, but I must be a holler tree kind of person. I have six traditional caches. Four of them are hidden in hollow trees or logs. One of them is under a pile of sticks at the base of a tree, and one is hidden in a covered wooden bridge. But that one I adopted from a local cacher who moved away, so I can't take credit for thinking of that.

I agree with the others.  Vacation caches are a bad idea unless you have arranged in advance for local cachers to take care of them.

On topic:  I'm somewhat of a traditionalist.  My favorite place for a cache is beneath the pile of sticks next to a tree. :blink:

Well, one of the two I just placed was inside a hollow tree (trite, yes?), and the other was under a fallen tree (trite again, yes?), but most of the ones I've found have actually been under cedar trees, the kind with the branches that hang to the ground.

Geez...I'm so bored I'm quoting myself. I found 3 today, and didn't find the fourth I looked for, but all were under those dang cedar trees....I HATE cedar trees!!! Itchy, scratchy, stinky, pokey, ucky cedar trees.....get the hint?

Ok, here's some ideas. (I'll refrain from beating you up over the vacation caches)

The main thing is to have something about the cache be interesting or special. Don't let your desire to simply place a cache override the placing of a good cache. If that keeps up we'll have a piece of tupperware under every fallen tree on the planet. That's kinda boring. IMO, I have a lot of appreciation for the person who wants to place a cache but decides against it because the overgrown lot behind the supermarket is not a particularly great place to be.

I can't give you specifics as it all depends on what is in your area, but here are some thoughts.

1) Follow the cache placement rules.

2) If you know of a interesting local place, but non-locals would never know of it, that's a great place to hide a cache in or nearby may be more preferable.

3) If you had to travel an hour by car to get to your cache, is there something there that would make the trip worthwhile?

4) Think of the finder's experience. Is there something or somplace interesting, beautiful, or pleasant at or on the way to the cache?

5) If there are no interesting places (or they're already taken), maybe you can make something interesting or clever about the cache itself to set it apart from the other local caches.

All in all, don't let your desire to place a cache cause you place yet another hum-drum cache in a hum-drum place. I don't need to travel to find a place like that. help me out by giving me an interesting destination!

Relax and don't get so defensive. Going throught the posts I didn't see one person who was out of line, or being a jerk. I noticed some that expressed surprise, or dismay that someone (especially a cache owner) wasn't familiar with the vacation cache rules, but nothing to take offense from.

2 feet of snow in Maryland for the past 10 weeks? Sheesh, that's really something! We don't have close to that further north. I gotta bring my skis down there!

To answer your question about hiding spots. As far as where to hide the cache, hide it far enough off the trail and well enough that an "outsider" won't accidently find it. Rock crevices are very good spots, as are hollow tree stumps and in the "crotch" of fallen trees. Add some bark, sticks or rocks to hide it better, but don't pile them up so you make the spot obvious. If you want to be devious, look for the obvious spot and hide it about 40 feet away.

Ammo boxes are the best containers, by far. They are cheap, weatherproof, animal resistant and you can paint them to match the hiding place. A distant second are the Rubbermaid Seal-n-Savers (with the blue rim). Round is better than square, as it holds its shape better. Lock-n-Lock containers are also pretty good, as long as the locking tabs hold up. For smaller containers, the retired US Army decon boxes are excellent. They are already a green, or black camo and small enough to conceal nearly anywhere, but large enough to hold some interesting trade items.

Edited by briansnat