Caches That Would Be Worth A Vacation Trip

WalruZ

I'm inspired by a post in a recent thread, from Criminal. Quoted (I hope that's ok)

This Cache has a long hike, and you can bag three if you come in from a different trail.  This is the hike report for the cache hide.

-- I wanna go!!

So, I'm sitting here thinking, it would be worth taking vacation, and a trip, to go to this cache. I'm sure others know of caches that are so great that they would merit vacation and a road trip. Post them here! (no parking lot micros, please.)

OK... please don't laugh... I mean in the summer, not in the winter... but I highly recommend a caching vacation trip to Presque Isle State Park in Erie, Pennsylvania. This beautiful park features sandy beaches, unique natural habitat (dunes, wetlands, etc.), American history, and nearby private amenities including an old-fashioned family style amusement park. Hotels/motels are affordable and it's just minutes away from Interstate 90 (East/West) or 79 (North/South). You'll feel more like you're on the outer banks of North Carolina than in Northwest Pennsylvania. You may not think of Erie as a premiere vacation destination, but for geocachers, it really is.

Presque Isle's crown jewels are the Fellowship of the Ring and the Presque Isle Multi-Purpose Trail multicaches, which will take you all over the park. While you work on those two epic multis, there are 8 other caches within the park, all of which are placed with permission and great support from the Pennsylvania State Parks. There's even a HydroMultiCache. A well-done Virtual Cache will teach you the history of Commodore Perry and the Battle of Lake Erie.

Off of Presque Isle, there are many other fine geocaches placed by the active Northwest PA Geocaching Group members.

Little Leprechaun and I have enjoyed our visits to Presque Isle and the Erie area, and we would highly recommend this to other geocachers.

I had a good time caching in Colorado last year. Nobody ever comes to Nebraska for vacation, but hitting the Platte River caches by Grand Island and Kearney when the Cranes are there (late March through early April) would be a good weekend diversion for people who would not have to go to great difficulties to get there. Imagine searching for a cache with endless numbers of cranes around.

Good thread. I am always trying to plan some caching trips.

The Cache County sign pictured is in northern UT. Lot of great caches nearby including an underwater one(brrrrr!). Hope to get that one next time.

Had a great caching trip in Idaho(almost made it to McCall), northern Utah(Cache Cty area), and the Moab, UTah areas last summer.

Really enjoyed the areas around Moab and caching in the desert the most I think.

Edited by maleki

Alright then. This one about 20 miles outside Moab, was a 'must do'(from the cache description) for us. It would be in intense challenge for us urban cachers.

BunkerDave's Cache

The day we'd set aside for this one turned out to be the day with a severe thunderstorm and INTENSE lightning over Mt. Peale(and nearby Mt.Waas) so we missed our window of opportunity on this trip. Still had a great time that day at several others as the weather down closer to Moab was great. There are at least 15 level 3(or above) terrains within 20 miles or so of Moab. None of them drive-ups(maybe with a modified jeep).

If your going on a road trip, don't do it for just one cache.

Edited by maleki

There are hundreds of worthy caches in the Houston area. I don't know why anyone would want to spend a vacation here. Regardless, if you're in town for Super Bowl, or some other reason, you can't go wrong if you hunt caches by Geek-Qualizer, geowyz!, or SigJ. They are some of the best. Real, next level, creative caches.

Sn :lol::( gans

Just to show I'm not biased towards Reno, Lake Tahoe, or Las Vegas* here is a great cach I didn't** do on my last trip to the Oregon Coast. If you do a search on nearby caches this will give you a selection of some of the most breathtaking cache views you could hope for.

Driven

by Dogmom [profile]

N 42° 19.189 W 124° 25.693 (WGS84)

UTM: 10T E 382311 N 4686274

In Oregon, United States [view map]

Hidden: 10/4/2003

Use waypoint: GCH0H9

*All of which have a great selection of caches and cache types.

**It wasen't there when I visited, but it is very central to the best part of the Oregon caost.

So, I'm sitting here thinking, it would be worth taking vacation, and a trip, to go to this cache. I'm sure others know of caches that are so great that they would merit vacation and a road trip. Post them here! (no parking lot micros, please.)

According to my nearest caches page, I live 18.6 miles from this cache. It is indeed a beautiful area and worth taking a vacation for. But I wouldn't be planning any trips soon as it's probably buried under 5' of snow right now. Maybe July? I tried for this one in early November but got only halfway up the trail before the snow got to deep.

Maui. Approx 48 accessable caches. 2-4 not without a 4 wheel drive or scuba.

And if thats too many, get just the ones you drive by within 500' of the road. Oh wait,....thats about 42.

We are going in the middle of March. I'll see if it works as planned.

I don't recall the one we failed to get as I never logged it. We had to turn around because the water level kept rising. It's about a 3 mile hike from below up a beautiful canyon with tons of pools and waterfalls. But during a storm it's rough and shouldn't be attempted.

Many of them are pretty simple but there are some gorgeous ones. Don On Maui archived his great caches since he moved away which is really a shame. There are a couple of active local cachers that I hope will replace them soon.

Grand Cayman Island.

Its warm, it has beaches, great diving and snorkling, there are 13 or so caches on the island.

You can do the whole island in 2 days reasonable or 1 day if you are pushing it.

You can say "Hey Mon" or "No problem Mon" as much as you want without fear of being smacked upside the head! :)

I guess my trip is off...I was planning on going to Nebraska for vacation! Of course, only because I used to live there and I miss Runza!

I don't think it counts when you used to live here! You know I have always wondered why Runza hasn't franchised outside of Nebraska. It would likely be pretty successful.

Well, wimseyguy beat me to the pretentious European cache reference ;) , but here's our favorite vacation cache for anyone in the Paris, France area:

GC29BC "Under the Horseshoe"

It's in the most beautiful park we've ever seen -- "a nice park with nice views of Paris. Even if the St Cloud castle was detroyed in 1870, from its estate remains a large park with woods and lawns, numerous statues, impressive fountains and nice ponds. One of them is the Horse Shoe pond and seats at the end of a wide terrace. The cache is somewhere beneath." It's way on the outskirts of the city, but easy to get to. If you're looking for the cheapest way to get there, e-mail us and we'll tell you. :) The best part is that it's a TRADITIONAL cache, which is unusual for Paris. The caches in the city are almost exclusively micros... and virts.

~ Kelli

of Teamo