Mctoys

Hate them... like them.. either or....

First off... I am one of the ones who will leave a Mctoy or a BK Toy. (Always still in the packaging though - won't leave one that's been opened) Why do I leave these sometimes??? Well, because my children go with me and my children will choose a toy (usually a bouncy ball or the like) and that's what THEY want to leave. I PERSONALLY think of this as a FAMILY sport!!

Not all geocachers are 35-40 male macho cachers who are interested in tools, coins, DVDs, CDs, etc. There are some young cachers amoungst us and shouldn't they get to enjoy the hunts also? What if it was the childs turn to choose from the cache and all that was in there was a belt buckle, someones personal signature card, a Sound of Music CD, a mini screwdriver kit, and free drink token to a local pub. Not much of interest to a child is it :D ?

Now if your idea for solving this is creating "Kid's Only" caches, shame on you... cause that is like telling them, "You aren't worthy of going to all caches. Only the ones we set aside for you".

Now mind you this post of mine is STRICTLY my opinion and sorry if there has been a whole complete thread on this but when I did a search all I found was McToys being discussed in various threads... not a whole complete one. So, if this gets deleted then fine... I've at least gotten this off of my chest and I do feel better :o .

Is the McToy in one peice and in good condition?

If so, it's miles ahead of the vast majority of McToys I've seen and heard about.

We have left plenty of children's toys, however the ones we leave are new, and whenever reasonable still in their packaging. (Hot Wheels have way too much packaging for example).

Children should not have to pick through a pile of broken toys.

Not all geocachers are 35-40 male macho cachers who are interested in tools, coins, DVDs, CDs, etc. There are some young cachers amoungst us and shouldn't they get to enjoy the hunts also? What if it was the childs turn to choose from the cache and all that was in there was a belt buckle, someones personal signature card, a Sound of Music CD, a mini screwdriver kit, and free drink token to a local pub. Not much of interest to a child is it  ?

And not all of us have (or want kids.) It's fine to leave toys if you take toys, but restocking caches to satisfy children isn't on my agenda.

Personally, I think most children would be better off duct taped to the trees than wandering around in them. But that's just me.*

*If you take this literally, I WILL slap you with a dead fish.

Edited by Snideswipe

McToy is in the eye of the beholder.

I've got a friend who spent months eating at McDonald's and saving up the unopened toys so she could give them to me to trade with. Most of them were decent trade items that I peppered in many caches. Some of them were taken by my kids before they ever made it out of the house, though. :D

I've probably taken as many as I've left. I don't see a problem with them as long as they are unopened and unbroken. Like others I could tell stories about the nasty ones I've seen in the bottom of rusty ol' ammo cans.

Bret

I think there are several varities of cachers:

1. the families (they want the kids toys to keep the kids happy.

2. the collectors (they want a signature item)

3. the outdoors people (they are just in it to get out and about)

I am a 1 or 3 depending on if kids are involved.

did I miss anyone? I know all caches can not appeal to all either.

I am a 1 or 3 depending on if kids are involved.

did I miss anyone? I know all caches can not appeal to all either.

You forgot the ones who are still looking for the 30 grand left by Q :D

Edited by dead_white_man

Just about every cache I have found has some things for a kid. As for my son, who is four, when we find a cache he gets to pick one thing. I then select something to trade for it. If there isn't something that suits him or the cache happens to be a micro then I let him pick something out of my swag bag for himself. Not once has he walked away from a find without something in his hand and a smile on his face, one way or another. In order for this to work, I always have to carry some descent trade items that did not come out of his toybox. My one gripe about mcToys in caches are the ones that spent a year in someones sandbox before dad picked it up and made it a trade item.

Its funny, when I first started playing this game the griping was over golf balls. The fact is, its the same issue. New McToys and golf balls are fine trades. Old, dirty golf balls and McToys are not so great.

I think people who gripe about McToys are really griping about unfair trading, not McToys.

I'd fit between 2 and 3. I despise McToys. They are tacky and bulky (and usually of questionable cleanliness). They make the activity look like a joke and I would be willing to bet more than half of the people that put them in the cache do it to spite it rather than enrich it (like the old golf balls).

Something about kids being allowed to value useless and pointless trinkets bothers me on a visceral level.

This is why I tend not to trade at all anymore.  Trade the wrong thing, people complain.  Trade but don't record, people complain.  Don't trade at all, people complain.

So I figure, if people are going to complain no matter what I do, why bother with trading?

Huh, sorry to interrupt, but is that your wife calling you ??? :D

edit - spelling

Edited by clearpath
This is why I tend not to trade at all anymore.  Trade the wrong thing, people complain.  Trade but don't record, people complain.  Don't trade at all, people complain.

So I figure, if people are going to complain no matter what I do, why bother with trading?

Huh, sorry to interrupt, but is that your wife calling you ??? :D

edit - spelling

ROTFLMAO! :D:D:D:o

And not all of us have (or want kids.) It's fine to leave toys if you take toys, but restocking caches to satisfy children isn't on my agenda.

Personally, I think most children would be better off duct taped to the trees than wandering around in them. But that's just me.*

*If you take this literally, I WILL slap you with a dead fish.

I'm still waiting for someone to take this the wrong way. It WILL happen. And when it does, I hope there's a camera rolling so I can see them get slapped with a dead fish.

Snideswipe, you also bring up a good point. More people should trade duct tape into caches for just this purpose.

On a side note, I will occasionally leave McToys or a competitors counterpart in a cache if I have a new one, but never a used one. I have no kids, but have been with people that brought kids, and they are generally good at cleaning those things out. If they are junk to begin with, I clean those things out. I'm just not getting upset anymore about bad trades. There's too many other things that tick me off, so I had to bump that off the list. Maybe when some of those other things work themselves off the list, I'll start getting mad again. We'll see.

Recently placed a cache in a remote rec area. Mixed outdoord stuff, tools, and toys. I have no prob with toys from McD's or other fast food joints, or any toy for that matter in a cache. I don't trade for them and I think that there are better sources for geoswag (ie: Wholesale lots section of EBay). As long as they are intact and clean, they are toys and are fine, have your kids use them as much as they want.

When the toys are broken or dirty (obviously used), they are McToys (type 1). When they are garbage toys like the kind they give out as dummy prizes at carnivals, they are trash to start with, and thus are type 2 McToys.

I like putting toys in caches, and other items for kids. There is a place in Rhode Island called the Umbrella Factory, it's like an old emporium, a comlex of several old buildings surrounded by gardens, and it includes a restuarant. They carry a plethera of old fashioned toys. Last time I went I picked up a handful of wooden pick up sticks games, some marbles games, and a few other trinkets, bracelets, and such. They are all out in caches now, just about. I also go to the craft store and pick up little cross stitch kits for young girls (or boys!) who might like to try their hand at it. I usually grab the Smiley :o Face pattern, for the find :D . I agree a cache shouldn't be labelled "kids only". Sometimes I like to leave a hand made item.

Its funny, when I first started playing this game the griping was over golf balls. The fact is, its the same issue. New McToys and golf balls are fine trades. Old, dirty golf balls and McToys are not so great.

I think people who gripe about McToys are really griping about unfair trading, not McToys.

I don't care about Mctoys in caches as long as they are new. I agree with you...old broken crap is NOT a good trade. Remember folks, trade up, trade even or don't trade at all! A cache is not a trash can. Someone was kind enough to hide the cache so you could find it, don't insult them by leaving your broken crap in there.

Personally, I cache alone now tha my hubby is overseas. We don't have kids and don't want to have any. But I know that A LOT OF PEOPLE cache with their kids and I think this is a wonderful hobby for the whole family! I don't think most people in these forums have ANY PROBLEMS with leaving items for kids as a trade. Kids deserve trades too! I think the issue was with broken, old, chewed on toys being in a cache.

Hell, my swag bag has cool stuff for adults and cool stuff for kids too...and even some stuff that adults, who are kids at heart, would love! :D

:o

Is the McToy in one peice and in good condition?

If so, it's miles ahead of the vast majority of McToys I've seen and heard about.

Ours are always still in the original packaging. I honestly will sometimes buy a kids meal just so I can have the toy:). McDonalds when they have the Barbie things are just so cute sometimes:D.

I do know all too well about the nasty toys that are sometimes in caches... but believe it or not... my son took one of them one time cause it was a cheap little mctoy video game:D LOL. The cache he took it from I had decided not to tromp in the mud to get to it... and when my husband was back on his way up I said..."So what did he (meaning my youngest son) trade?" ... My husband expressed, "He left a Kinderegg toy and he took a video game." I said, "What??? That's not a fair trade! He needs to go back and leave something better if he takes a video game!!" My husband just said, "Well, just wait until he gets back up here and you can talk to him." When my son got back up the hill I realized we had traded up :D LMAO... cause what my son had taken wasn't a true video game;).. lol.. just a USED McToy:). BUT.... He loved it LOL. He played with it all the way home and he still plays with it occasionally:) LOL

I also go to the craft store and pick up little cross stitch kits for young girls (or boys!) who might like to try their hand at it.

WOW!!! I LOVE that idea!! I think it's a great idea to try to turn kids onto all different kids of new hobbies. I'm sure there are adults that would love to get the little packages of cross stitch ornaments or whatever too!

When cachers first started referring to McToys they meant the broken, used ones. New ones in packages are always appreciated.

When I first started in business someone told me that if you REALLY want to impress a CEO with a gift give him something for his kids (or 'her' kids as the case may be).

So my trade items are always something that kids will enjoy, whatever their age.

Edited by geospotter
geocaching is a good way to get rid of the junk the kids don't play with anymore.

I really hope you were kidding. Why would anyone want to find 'junk the kids don't play with anymore' in a cache? New toys and other kid-friendly items are cool cache trades...but I don't think I want to find 'junk' your kids won't even play with anymore. :D

Kids like McToys, so why not?

Any adult that is *expecting* to get something they need (or reasonably might want) out of a cache is simply tripping.

I have found and traded for a few useful things, but that is the rare exception. Most things I take are because they are cool; worthless but cool.

Putting things of more than infitesimal value in a cache is good, but trying to predict what a future finder will want of need is futile.

Therefore, think about what is cool, even though worthless, and that is probably the best thing to put in a cache.

Cool to me means unusual; something I cannot find for myself at the dollar store or something I would not look for but recognize as interesting for some reason. If it is cool, it doesn't matter what it is worth.

And as far as toys are concerned, my kids (especially when they were very young) often liked the boxes better than the toys that came in them. Perhaps that says something about our toy industry?

Hey, WTH, McDonalds produces their junk for one reason and one reason only: The kids like them and the beg mommy and daddy to buy more happy meals.

No point in denying the obvious; kid's like McToys. Cache 'em if ya got 'em!

I agree that McToys still in the package are fine. Can't say I've come across one, though. They're always dirty, broken, and look like the family dog chewed on it, choked, and horfed it into the cache... :D

There is one cache that I REALLY want to be FTF for. It's a full days hike to get to it, and it's been sitting there for over a year. But no one has gone after it yet, IMO mainly because the items listed in the cache are McToys and other worthless garbage. And yes, I do get enjoyment out of the hunt, but for a cache like this I might place something worthwhile for the cachers as a reward for such a trek.