Hi,i'm A Techno Idiot With An Adventurist Heart

armataz

some of you may know my sisters mother goose and mawmaugh.

I have been out with mother goose, and since I like hiking and camping, I thought I'de get into geo caching. so I'm looking for any advice on GPS units (any one know of a really durrable model?), as well as any thing else you guy's may be able to offer. thanks TAZ

I've dropped my Magellan Sportrak Map dozens and dozens of times. My cousin fell 15-20 ft off a ledge and dropped a Garmin Geko 201, and he fell off his bike and the Geko 201 went flying... Both still work just fine. :unsure: I think Garmin Rinos are supposed to be really durable as well, but I have no expierence with those.

Check out the units and software forum, they might have some more tips..

I would recommend one with up-loadable maps. Most of the caches I hunt are urban and the detailed map sure makes it easy getting there. My GPS is a Magellan Platnium. It all comes down to how much you want to spend for the extras. As one of my race car buddies says " speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

I agree with whats already been said but I will add that just about all GPSr are designed to be durable, after all, they can only be used outdoors and so they are designed for such. Some may be made a little better than others, but thats an opinion and everyone has one of those!

I can tell you that my Garmin can take one hell of a beating!! I forgot it on the roof of my car and it clung on until I hit about 35mph!! I took a flying leap and crashed to the pavement :unsure: A little nick here and a scratch there and it works just as good as the day I got it, and I use it in rain and snow with no problems.

One thing I feel is important is that whatever you look at, make sure it can be connected to your computer. You will find that only super low end models cannot connect to the PC, so avoid them unless you are on a super strict budget. Having the abilities to upload/download your waypoints and your tracks is the best. Not to mention you can keep your unit upgraded with the latest firmware.

A good place to learn about the features of a GPS in general is gpsinformation.net

Hope this helps!!

Kar of TS!

I am really really new to this great hobby too. I just got my GPS yesterday and found my first cache yesterday as well.

I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend and I am thrilled with it. It looks like it could take a beating (but I am not going to find out on purpose!). My friend has the same model and advised me to get some kind of case for it to prevent the screen from getting damaged if the unit takes a tumble. I looked on Ebay and found several very affordable cases (11.99 to 15.99). I guess I will buy one "just in case".

My friend dropped his when crossing a stream when he was hiking. It hit a rock and was under water for about 10 seconds and still works just fine.

Good luck!

When I got into geocaching, I didn't want to buy an entry level GPS only to have to stick it on the shelf after a few weeks when I was ready for an upgrade, so I went out and bought the best one I could afford at the time, which was the Magellan Meridian GPS. I have been very satisfied with it and its quite durable and has survived several falls and it even floats... didn't short out when it fell in the Gulf of Mexicoone time too.

There are some newer Magellans now, color screen and some minor other features, but I have not seen anything worthy of upgrading, so I know I made a really good choice.

Definately go with a model that will allow you to install maps. I have used this feature extensively whenever I travel somewhere.

Do your research and buy the best one you can afford!

My friend has the same model and advised me to get some kind of case for it to prevent the screen from getting damaged if the unit takes a tumble. I looked on Ebay and found several very affordable cases (11.99 to 15.99). I guess I will buy one "just in case".

OT: The Garmin case is only $15 and can be found at Target, and probably Wal-Mart, among other locations locally w/o going through eBay.

I have a case for my etrex but prefer not to use it, I protect the screen with THESE from BSTRONG accessories, and have only had to change it once in 7 months.

I found the trick is to remove half the backing, line it up with the portion that still has backing, then use a credit card to squeegee it on while removing the rest of the backing. Goes on perfect, air bubble and dust spec free.

I've been in some tuff brush-busting searches and my e-trex has been through a lot. the display has a few minor scratches but it's still ticking!

What has happened is that I have caught the carry cord in brush and had the plastic attachment for the cord ripped off on two different GPSr units.

You might want to remove the cord in heavy brush and don't wear it around your neck.

I'm on a very tight budget (sigh...). I bought a Garmin eTrex Yellow for $100 and a Gazetteer map book for $15. It seems to be everything we need. Between the two of them and the links to web map services my son and I have been able to find the right spot for all the caches we've hunted. Finding the actual CACHES, well, that's something else! :unsure:

I use a Lowrance iFinder and have no complaints. It is dead on accurate and it can find my location even indoors. It comes with a waterproof bag that floats (because it is only rated for light rain) but I would have used the bag regardless, you just don't miss any precautions when dealing with expensive electronics. To top it off, its really easy to use, with two modes (Easy and Expert). All in all, a great buy.

I would recommend one with up-loadable maps. Most of the caches I hunt are urban and the detailed map sure makes it easy getting there. My GPS is a Magellan Platnium. It all comes down to how much you want to spend for the extras. As one of my race car buddies says " speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

can you upload maps from online sites or do you have to buy speacial soft wear?

I have had two GPS units now. Both are Garmin (use what you like), but the map is now a MUST. I would recommend that you try it out with a used GPS (from e-bay or better yet get a friends GPS as a loaner :rolleyes: ) until you know that you want to invest some $$. I got my first one use about 4 years ago for $100. It is still a great unit, but it doesn't have background maps. Then save for the best unit that you can get. I saved up for a Garmin 76S and I love it.

Basically borrow a bicycle while you save for a Ferrari :rolleyes:

Northern Trekker

I have had two GPS units now. Both are Garmin (use what you like), but the map is now a MUST. I would recommend that you try it out with a used GPS (from e-bay or better yet get a friends GPS as a loaner :) ) until you know that you want to invest some $$. I got my first one use about 4 years ago for $100. It is still a great unit, but it doesn't have background maps. Then save for the best unit that you can get. I saved up for a Garmin 76S and I love it.

Basically borrow a bicycle while you save for a Ferrari :tongue:

Northern Trekker

I have gone on hunts with mother goose&paw pal. hers seems to be a range finder. it starts out reading miles. then when you get down to a bout 1000 feet or so, it starts reading by the foot. it seems to be accurate to a few feet so why are maps so important?like I said I'm just looking for info and tips.TAZ

You don't NEED maps to find geocaches - the GPS will drop you within 30 feet or so nearly every time. But I personally find the maps very useful for orienting myself to the cache when I get close. At that point you are not moving purposefully in any one direction, and the GPS arrow will start to lead you astray. With the map in view you can see your present location, your approach track, and the cache all at once.

The main reason I like maps is for finding my way TO a cache. After you find all the caches in familiar local areas you may discover yourself travelling farther afield to feed your new addiction. At that point you will definitely find the maps useful as a means to make your way from cache to cache on the roads. In my case I purchased an eTrex Vista and the Metroguide mapping software from Garmin. With this combination I can plot routes from my house to a cache site at home on my PC, then download the route(s) to the Vista, and then simply let the Vista guide me, turn by turn, to the cache starting point. No paper maps, no stopping and asking for directions - I just follow the arrow. There are more sophisticated GPS units available, such as the Garmin V, that allow you to plot routes on the fly. You tell the GPS that you want to go to point B, and the unit automatically plots a turn by turn route for you from your present location - no PC required. And if you drift off the programmed route the GPS will automatically figure out a new route for you as you drive.

The maps greatly increase the utility of the GPS - we use ours on vacation to get from place to place. You can also use it to detour around traffic jams since you now have all the local roads in the palm of your hand.

Food for thought....

Again, as stated by may others on this thread, you need to buy what you need, the other bells and whistles are for fun :D .

I do a lot more than geocaching with my unit. I trek the backcountry where maps are REQUIRED. I will always pack a compass and a paper map with me, however with the mapping feature on the GPS makes locating myself on that map is much quicker :unsure: .

I have found that my needs are QUITE different than most. I live in an area of the world where I can travel 50 miles only be located at least 40 miles from the nearest person. I must be able to fend for myself in the backcountry and trust my equipment and survive (if or when my primary transportation fails - snowmobile) for days when it is well below zero (snowshoes make a great shelter at night, a snowmobile doesn't :blink: ). Things that make navigation easy are what I like. For years I translated coordinates to maps and back. Now electronic maps are great for this!

For most, the background maps will help you navigate streets and such to a spot that close to the cache you are seeking.

I don't know how populated your area is or how current the maps are, but even the maps in my area are dated in the mid 60's :D . The 800 mile pipeline across my state (which was installed in 1974-76) is still shown as a "proposed route" on the newest maps for some areas :D .

If the map feature on the GPS makes short work of orientation and when in white-out conditions and blowing snow, I will buy it. But I will never leave my compass and map - you gotta have a plan B and neither of those run out of batteries, ever.

Hope this helps,

Northern Trekker

so maps are basicaly for convenience, not so much a nesessity for the most part.

thats cool,I think i'll be checking into an e-trex since I've used it before. any other tips? or suggestions?

so far I've got in way of tips:

buy a carying case

buy a lanyard(this is a neck strap right?)

dont where it around your neck in heavy brush.

dont leave it on you cars roof

any thing else?

thanks TAZ

Edited by armataz
so maps are basicaly for convenience, not so much a nesessity for the most part.

thats cool,I think i'll be checking into an e-trex since I've used it before. any other tips? or suggestions?

so far  I've got  in way of tips:

buy a carying case

buy a lanyard(this is a neck strap right?)

dont where it around your neck in heavy brush.

dont leave it on you cars roof

any thing else?

thanks TAZ

A few more things to consider:

* Pick up a regular compass as a backup, and always carry it with you if going off-trail of there's a chance you could get lost if the GPS dies.

* I believe all the Garmin units come with a lanyard.

* If you're going into heavy brush, wear glasses to protect your eyes. I almost poked one of mine out on a stick next to a cache. I suppose it would have been a cool thing to leave in the cache for the next guy, but I prefer to keep mine.

Edited by Indiana Cojones
Taz,

You forgot the fourth most repeated advice :blink: , buy as much GPSr as you can afford.

Welcome to the sport

B):blink: LOL sorry my bad. I didn't forget that bit of advice. I just tempered it with the advice of buying what I "need" and any thing more than that is bells and whistles B) I may change my mind when I actualy go to get a unit.TAZ

Edited by armataz
A few more things to consider:

* Pick up a regular compass as a backup, and always carry it with you if going off-trail of there's a chance you could get lost if the GPS dies.

* I believe all the Garmin units come with a lanyard.

* If you're going into heavy brush, wear glasses to protect your eyes. I almost poked one of mine out on a stick next to a cache. I suppose it would have been a cool thing to leave in the cache for the next guy, but I prefer to keep mine.

LOL, yah I dont think I'de like to be with out one of my eyes either,

when ever I head out in the WILD alone. I make sure I cary along my trusty kershaw servival kit (includes: compas, fishing line, hooks, matches,10"kershaw fixed blade w/saw back and super glue),my digi cam, water bottle, snacks and warm change of clothes in a nap sack. I suppose I could toss in a pair of shooting glasses too. B) TAZ