Any Packsack Recommendations?

Insp Gadget

I've gone through several backpacks, fanny packs, etc in my pursuit of a perfect one for my Geocaching needs. I tend to carry lots of stuff, like spare batteries, matched, first aid kit, maps, Swiss Army nkife etc. I prefer a backpack type of bag, but would like one where I can put my GPS in a holder near the shoulder so I can quickly grab it.

I'd be curious to hear what others are using in the field to carry all their stuff while caching.

I just got a camelbak mule. I love it so far... It can carry alot PLUS 3 liters of water too! There are loops and clips on the front which you can hook your GPS onto as well.

30296_400.gif30296_1700.gif

I am looking at the MULE and wonder if you could answer a few questions about it?

Is this pack big enough to hold extra colthing?

Are there lots of small compartments inside to hold small items?

Any idea where I can see one of these bags in Eastern Canada?

I've never seen a pack with a water supply. How do you like this feature and is it useful?

I found a decent backpack at Wal-Mart in their post Back to School clearance for $3. I don't do any long hikes, so it is perfect for me. Since I started using it, I've been filling empty caches as I find them. The best part is that my Wife doesn't see (and doesn't complain about) my hoard of cache treasures. :)

The Mule won't hold a lot. I save that for my daughter.

I use the CamelBak Peak Bagger which holds clothing, food, 100oz water, survival supplies, trading goods, and so on.

For short trips I use a waist pack but it keeps pulling my pants down (a bad thing) so I am hoping my wife gets me a FatBoy shoulder-slung bag.

The Mule won't hold a lot. I save that for my daughter.

I use the CamelBak Peak Bagger which holds clothing, food, 100oz water, survival supplies, trading goods, and so on.

For short trips I use a waist pack but it keeps pulling my pants down (a bad thing) so I am hoping my wife gets me a FatBoy shoulder-slung bag.

I agree, I wouldn't depend on the Mule for an overnight trip and probably not to hold much clothes. Usually I leave a change of clothes in the car.

30296_400.gif30296_1700.gif

I too have gone through several packs looking for the right one. I've started out small with the mule then grew into a trans alp from there which was great for the longest time and I would still recommend it if you like carrying a lot like me. From there I went to a camelbak motherlode and that was awesome but too much, too big and too heavy for geocaching.

The thing is I had it full and had everything I would ever need. Once I decided to down size I settled on the CamelBak Transformer which is what I'm currently using and I love it. I like the fact that you can use it full or bare minimum as its configurable. I also like the military grade CamelBak's as they seem to be constructed better than the others and more durable because of it.

Also, I've ordered a few times from the company that the link takes you to and would recommend them as good prices and service. If you have any specific questions I can answer let me know.

If you can't carry extra clothing inside then you can surely strap it to the outside as there are gear loops and such.

There are plenty of ways to sort small items inside with the compartments that it has.

I love the water feature with the exception that the bladders require a lot of care in the cleaning department but the water stays cold and is readily available which is really big when Mtn. Biking.

Let me also add that in my frequent quests for back packs I always come up with liking the CamelBak's the best and they seem to have whatever I'm looking for. I've dealt with their customer support once in the past just to ask some questions and they were great.

CamelBak definitely gets my vote. :)

My sons and I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and have been using the bladders for years. We have tried several of other brands and we all prefer the Camelbacks. I use a Mule for short hikes and carry a Hawg when going farther into the backcountry. It has more room to carry gear and also has the 100 litre bladder. We only carry water in ours and use a Nalgene container for our energy drinks to make clean up easier. Also, make sure to empty it and dry it out when you are finished for the day. You can also purchase kits and cleaner specifically made for cleaning water bladders and the hoses.

We find we drink much more with the bladders as they are so convenient to use.

Mountain Equipment Coop have wonderfu bags for all needs and desires. you can get Cell phone puches that can strap to the Back pack shoulder straps that will fit most GPSr. They have fantastic pricing, are a canadian company and do mail order if there are no stores near you. There is a 5$ membership fee but this is good for a lifetime and you get 2 catalogs a year (fall/winter & Spring/Summer).
I use a Kelty frameless daypack. It has a waterbladder with tube and also a rain cover that is intergrated into it. It did well over the Continental Divide and it has a spot where I can put my Divide Travers Trail Patch and other patches for trails that I have hiked

All of my wilderness gear is Kelty. It really stands the test of time. My kelty Cirque Radial is over 15 years old and still looks new. (But then I digress)

For geocaching, went to Wal-Mart and bought 3 identical packs for $14 each. I have one pack that is packed for long hikes. One is packed for short hikes and the last is packed to hit several caches on the same hike.

I keep an action packer bin with extra equipment (flashlights, cameras, trade swag, etc.) to round out my pack for each separate trip.

Years of wilderness hiking has taught me to spare the weight of extra items that won't get used.

Sn :mad:;) gans

It has more room to carry gear and also has the 100 litre bladder.

That's quite a bit of water to be carrying around. Does it come with wheels :mad: ?

I've been using the Mountainsmith Guide. It is hydration system compatible. It came with its own 1 liter Platypus hydration system but I added a larger one. It also has an internal organizing panel that holds pens, PDA, extra batteries, a small Mag-lite and other small items and a separate internal pocket for a CD or MP3 player. An internal clip for my car keys is another nice feature, but my favorite features are the side mesh pockets that have room for my GPS and digital camera and an ample mesh panel on the back that can hold a wet raincoat, or other bulky items (I carry a small shovel and mattock there when I'm doing trail work) and is great for CITO. Who wants to put someone else's nasty beer cans inside their pack? It holds over 2,200 ci (compared to the Camelbak M.U.L.E.'s 423 ci and the Hawg's 1200 ci), making it large enough to carry a lot of stuff.

The Mountainsmith Guide

23324_5600.jpg

Edited by briansnat
I am looking at the MULE and wonder if you could answer a few questions about it?

Is this pack big enough to hold extra colthing?

Are there lots of small compartments inside to hold small items?

Any idea where I can see one of these bags in Eastern Canada?

I've never seen a pack with a water supply. How do you like this feature and is it useful?

1. The M.U.L.E has a little over 400 ci of storage after the water bladder is inserted, so you'll have room for lunch and a few smaller items.

2. I've never looked inside one, but I'm sure others here can tell you.

3. A search of their website shows:

Canada International Distributor(s)

Outdoor Gear Canada

2708 Diab, St. Laurent

Quebec H4S IE8

Canada

Tel: 514 332 1320

Fax: 514 335 1691

info@ogc.ca

http://www.ogc.ca

And:

Parts Canada

Tel: 877 277 7560

Tel: 403 250 7560

Fax: 403 250 1436

info@partscanada.com

http://www.partscanada.com

4. The hydration system is a great feature. No more having to take your pack off to get a drink. Just fill the bladder and clip the hose to your shirt and you have a drink any time you need it. I also freeze the bladder the night before hot summer trips.

The ice melts slowly and you have ice cold refreshment all day. I like using the Platypus system (seen in link in my above post). I can move it from pack to pack

as needed. Most of the time it's in my Guide, but for backpacking trips it fits in the pocket of my Dana Design pack. I can also move it to a small day pack I have If I don't want, or need to carry a lot of stuff other than water.

Edited by briansnat

Camelbak is the best water bladder/hydration pack I've seen. I've used their Blowfish for mountain biking and grew into the Trail Blazer for hiking and caching. The Trail Blazer only comes with a 70oz bladder but the 100oz from my Blowfish will fit in there for all day hikes.

For any hiking over an hour here in the west and you must have a good water supply. Hydration packs are great because they allow you to drink while your on the move, so you have a better chance of staying hydrated. I can't imaging a hike without a hydration pack, any time of the year.