Headed Back From A Cache

Dan-oh

I was headed back down the hill from the Soledad Splendor urban cache in San Diego and saw this:

d6d363fd-ad0f-460f-9ec3-c5956c55e9f8.jpg

86706d47-73ef-440c-9782-fbae1d9030b9.jpg

Being in construction, I have a good idea just how much work is involved here...empty dirt, crane truck, re-load dirt into new truck, deal with spilled fuel, on and on. The driver noticed me shooting and asked me not to take his picture. I think I'd feel the same if it happend to me so I blurred him out.

A bad day at work defined!

There's a spot in a nearby town where two major roads come together, but it's on a four lane highway. One road is straight, the other hooks into the other at a light. On the other side of the light is a Waffle House.

One day I come across a log truck turned over with all of the logs in the restaurant's parking lot. Good thing it was mid afternoon and no one was parked out front!

CR

I was driving through Tennessee and a flatbed carrying steel girders tipped over about a half-mile ahead on the interstate. With nowhere to turn around, we were stopped there for three hours.

I had never played football on a freeway before.

What was funny was a couple hours in when people started sneaking into the woods along the highway to do their business... ;)

Tractor Trailer experinced a load shift in front of me about 3 years ago. I was about 1/4 mile behind him and the trailer starts to rock and then tips left. The truck and trailer ended up on its driver side spanning 3 lanes of highway. Another driver and I pulled the truck driver out. (he was spilling diesel at a rather alarming rate) Luckily no one was injured. As we stood there and trafic bottle necked into the right lane, people kept driving by flicking cigs out of their windows. Hmmmm smoldering cig butts and a growing puddle of diesel. ;)

Edited by Johnnie Stalkers

Worst one I seen was on I-80 in PA during the holidays... I was 9-10pm and a stationwagon carrying a few children (unseatbelted) were illegally towing another car without any lights on the rear car. An 18 wheeler didn't see the towed car and ran right over it crushing it and the father of the family in the station wagon. The wagon spun out and rolled ejecting the children and all of the luggage and presents which were in the car. The scene looked like a plane crash with all the debris strewn about. Took 3 stat-flight choppers to fly out the wounded to local hospitals. I believe all the children survived.

As we stood there and trafic bottle necked into the right lane, people kept driving by flicking cigs out of their windows. Hmmmm smoldering cig butts and a growing puddle of diesel. ;)

That's one of the nice things about diesel fuel...you can extinquish a match in a puddle of it. Much safer than gasoline.

Yes, knowing how unlikely it was that the diesel would ignite and being comfortable standing in a puddle while people flick butts at me are two different things.

I think I can safely say that I would be unconfortable with people flicking butts at me no matter what I was standing in! :P

hmmm...downhill, sharp right turn, heavy truck. It must be the city's fault for poor road design. You know he'll probably sue!

Did anyone else think it odd that it appears the truck was turning left and ended up rolling over on its left side. Maybe I'm missing something, but I would have expected the load shift from a left-hand turn to cause the truck to roll to its right. :)

Considering it was a right turn, its amazingly fortunate that no one was waiting at that stop sign, or no pedestrian was on the side walk or crossing the road... 4_6_104.gif

So if the cache was behind that wall, would that mean it was in violation of the cache placement rules? No buried caches...

Edited by CacheCreatures