Ammo Can that plays music

I thought about doing that one time. I wanted to put the cache near a restricted area (but not IN a restricted area) and when the cacher would open the ammo can the recording module would say something like, "PUT YOUR HANDS UP!" or something to that effect. I have yet to do this though.

I was thinking about calling it the "Mess Your Britches Cache".

Hmmmmm.

Don't Drink And Park: Accidents Cause People.

quote:
Originally posted by DapperDanMan:

Has anybody ever created a cache that plays music when you open it? I was thinking of getting one of those musical greeting cards and somehow hooking it up to an ammo can so it plays music.

I found such a cache recently that was hidden inside a small cave.

The cache had a motion detecting singing head attached to it shaped like a rock. It was placed on a ledge about eye level a short distance from the entrance. I missed the cache crawling in and on my way back out I stood up to stretch my legs in the cool of the cave when suddenly without warning from behind me Chuck Berry starting singing “That Old Time Rock N Roll” I nearly soiled myself! I am glad no one took a picture of me at the moment that singing started. icon_eek.gif

Pat Travers "Boom, Boom, Out Go the Lights"

Or Pink Floyd's "Run" (from the Wall)

So, there is now an ammo box, with a formerly singing head, full of bullet holes?

We were on a Hash Run that went into a RailRoad Tunnel... about 50 yards in, the Hare had stationed a friend with a cordless floodlight (one of those 1,000,000 candlepower ones) and a boombox with a recording of a Train.

I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

I have had the electronics for such an ammo box pending inside Lipe Labs for some time.

I've placed one that plays music when opened. The thing that makes it a shocker is it's a 35MM film canister. The circuit board was bench-sanded round (after determining there were no traces in the corners) with a custom-made switch from a spam can and a safety pin and the piezo transducer held in the outer ring with double stick tape.

I'm probably the only guy locally that's spent 15 hours placing one micro...

runner_one, that's hilarious.

Not too long ago, someone posted a description of a cache hidden in a (prepared) cow pie. Apparently, when you pick up the pie, it "moos."

(I suppose that's moosic to some ears,) icon_biggrin.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

You can ask the creators of peek-a-boo and Michigan Frog how they set up theirs. Frog was activated when the cache was opened, it was glued to the inside of the can near the top so when opened it released a push-button. Peek-a-boo is motion detector (I think), since it didn't go off until we moved around stuff at the bottom of the cache. (This one was under a false bottom).

Just find something that plays music/makes noise/etc that you want to use, figure out what it's trigger is, and find a way to trigger it. For the cards it should be real easy, since they're already set up to play when opened- just attach the body of the device to the cache, the trigger strip to the lid, and off you go!

Beersnob was thinking of rigging up one of those talking beer bottle openers... I think they have one with Homer Simpson that goes 'mmm...beer..' icon_biggrin.gif

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

quote:
Originally posted by Bubba Cache:

When you say a "prepared cow pie", what does that mean, LOL

God bless you and your family,

Team Bubba Cache

(I prefer them poached and garnished with a little chewed grass!) icon_biggrin.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Not too long ago, someone posted a description of a cache hidden in a (prepared) cow pie. Apparently, when you pick up the pie, it "moos."

(I suppose that's moosic to some ears,) icon_biggrin.gif

That cache remains one of my all time favorites.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

I think discretion should be used when hooking electronics up to the lid of any cache. If the cache is near a building and the bomb squad is called, they will blow it up for sure.

You make a very good point. Sometimes we get a bit carried away with being 'cute' and don't consider all the issues in play...

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

We haven't found any musical caches but did find one out in the middle of a heavily forrested area that had one of the pressure released "hysterical laughter" things that went off when you opened the lid. Scared the he** out of us! Everytime we moved it - it would sound off again! And you can bet that we were real sure to replace it correctly so it could "greet" the next cacher!

"Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!"

My kids had these stupid robot baby toys that drove me insane. They got them in a happy meal or something while staying at their grandmothers. She sent them home with the kids because they were driving her crazy. The kids didn't like them either, so they just got stuffed into the toy box. For a week I had to listen to these things chirp and sing everytime I walked across the living room floor. There were 2 or 3 of them in the bottom of their toy chest and I guess their sensors could feel the wood floor move.

One of them startled me in the middle of the night as I was investigating a noise I'd heard. Here I am in the dark digging through toys to find them, and assisinate them. While I should have ran them over with my car right then and there, I had a better plan. I grabbed every single one of the stupid things and stuffed them in my backpack. When you find something annoying or gross what do you do? Show it to your friends of course.

So with my backpack chirping full of them I went out and deposited these scourges on the land over the next few days. In hindsight I realize this wasn't the best idea. I could perhaps lead some caches to be plundered by these singing monsters. But the logs and stories of creeped out people at our local cache meetings has brought me and others much joy. Including a naturalist in our group that found one in her park and was quite creeped out at the singing cache baby. My favorite so far was This Log.

-beatnik-

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

Pat Travers "Boom, Boom, Out Go the Lights"

Or Pink Floyd's "Run" (from the Wall)

So, there is now an ammo box, with a formerly singing head, full of bullet holes?

We were on a Hash Run that went into a RailRoad Tunnel... about 50 yards in, the Hare had stationed a friend with a cordless floodlight (one of those 1,000,000 candlepower ones) and a boombox with a recording of a Train.

_ I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people. _

That is classic! Reminds me of a Road Runner cartoon icon_biggrin.gif

I was just in a railroad tunnel today (about 150 yards in) and that would have scared the crap out of me even though I knew the other end was sealed off!! Would have been a great story to tell, though. Thanks for sharing.

I placed a cache about a month ago that uses a musical greeting card (GC5TWA5). It plays the Star Ward theme when the lid is removed. It worked great at first, but now the tab is getting worn out, so it has to be at just the right angle to play the song. Anyone have any advice on how I can make this more substantial? I'd like it to last a long time.

I placed a cache about a month ago that uses a musical greeting card (GC5TWA5). It plays the Star Ward theme when the lid is removed. It worked great at first, but now the tab is getting worn out, so it has to be at just the right angle to play the song. Anyone have any advice on how I can make this more substantial? I'd like it to last a long time.

Are you aware you just revived a thread from 2003? Please open a new one next time.

For your tech question: those card electronics are supposed to last only for few working cycles in a controlled environment. For indefinite outdoor (caching) use, you should change all relevant parts into consumer grade or even industrial (if not military) grade components. Especially switches, batteries and housing. Plus being prepared for frequent outdoor maintenance.

Are you aware you just revived a thread from 2003? Please open a new one next time.

Why? If he had, somebody would sure enough link to this one and ask why they didn't do a forum search first.

I had one for several years ago called "Shhhhhh!!":

Geocache Description:

Just a couple of feet off of a paved trail along Roger's Lake in Mendota Heights, this should provide easy lunchtime entertainment. Park on Mendota Heights Road (closest) or at the parking lot off of Wagon Wheel Drive.

However, beware... the path nearby is a very popular lunchtime walking/biking trail so you will have to be VERRRRY QUIET as you go after this cache.

When you opened it, it played "I Think I Love You!" by The Carpenters. The sound module came from a dog toy that my dog took apart. I wired it to a contact switch from Radio Shack.

Edited by knowschad

Why? If he had, somebody would sure enough link to this one and ask why they didn't do a forum search first.

I had one for several years ago called "Shhhhhh!!":

Geocache Description:

Just a couple of feet off of a paved trail along Roger's Lake in Mendota Heights, this should provide easy lunchtime entertainment. Park on Mendota Heights Road (closest) or at the parking lot off of Wagon Wheel Drive.

However, beware... the path nearby is a very popular lunchtime walking/biking trail so you will have to be VERRRRY QUIET as you go after this cache.

When you opened it, it played "I Think I Love You!" by The Carpenters. The sound module came from a dog toy that my dog took apart. I wired it to a contact switch from Radio Shack.

Edited by knowschad

If someone really consuders pointing to a 12 year old dead thread I'd probably said the same.

I surely won't go through a lot of old and probably outdated discussions from people I can't reply to anymore just to make sure there isn't an answer hidden in it anywhere or it meanwhile went totally off-topic. Let those very old and already dead threads rest in peace...

They may contain valuable information, but obviously the thread resuscitator didn't find it in this here, otherwise he wouldn't have asked.

If someone really consuders pointing to a 12 year old dead thread I'd probably said the same.

I surely won't go through a lot of old and probably outdated discussions from people I can't reply to anymore just to make sure there isn't an answer hidden in it anywhere or it meanwhile went totally off-topic. Let those very old and already dead threads rest in peace...

They may contain valuable information, but obviously the thread resuscitator didn't find it in this here, otherwise he wouldn't have asked.

I knew right away it was an old thread when I saw the words "ammo can". A 2015 topic would be "A Pill Box thrown in the bushes that plays music". :rolleyes:

It plays the Star Ward theme when the lid is removed. It worked great at first, but now the tab is getting worn out

I once received a gift tin of assorted cookies from Germany. Open the can (one of the large cylindrical tins full of cookies), and a tune plays, light activated. It's a tiny electronic module, and could probably be cut apart and made even smaller, and then secured and sealed. I've never seen a source to purchase these specific music boxes, but "light activated" might be ideal in a cache container. Hallmark has a rather expensive version of a light-activated sound module, and one version is recordable. If I set something up like that, I'd try to make it so the battery isn't used at all unless the container is open.

If a music module has an ordinary magnetic speaker, you could instead use a cheapie ear bud dissected down to its magnet, stick that modified ear bud & magnet to the ammo can (or to a piece of ferrous metal if you aren't using an ammo can), and the metal part becomes the "speaker"! If it's a quartz transducer (the flat brass-colored "speaker" used in greeting cards), see if the sound is more easily heard if you fasten or glue it directly to the container.

If there's an issue with batteries going bad outdoors, there are toys that make noise without requiring electricity. I have a container with an attached dinosaur that "growls" when tipped (a ball rolls on a rough surface inside the toy), and I've though of chopping a "groan tube" to fit a container:

But you might not even need the device to be inside the container:

Just an example. I didn't see this currently sold by the youtubed retailer. This kind of thing is often on the expensive side, and low quality. But some are charged by solar panels.

Edited by kunarion

I have an ammocan set up to let out an evil laugh when opened.

Finding the right sound module was the biggest problem (still don't have what i was initially looking for) but the one i did find has worked fairly well. Couple the module with a microswitch that closes when the lid of the ammocan is opened and you'll get sound. These are nice because they reset themselves after playing. Lots of toys and stuffed animals have sound modules but again, finding the right sound, at the volume you like, can be tough.

There is a cacher in Washington that has created ammo cans that play music and other sounds. I asked how he did it and he tried to explain it to me and it went over my head. Well it came down to him just sending me one. It plays the theme to Twilight Zone. I had to remove it from where it sat for a few years because I moved and am still trying to find a better place for it.

adding: The one he sent me was a lock n lock.

Edited by jellis

Here are some options regarding inexpensive sound chips that you can buy without buying in bulk: http://www.aliexpres...toys_price.html There are other sites as well, but most that I found had minimum orders of 100 or so.

I think the one I would get is this, at $2.09 with free shipping! It appears from the picture that all solder connections have been stabilized with blobs of silicone, and it seems to have everything you need already attached.

Edited by knowschad

Adding music sounds like a brilliant idea, and funny.

I did a geo-trail in the UK in which 2 of the caches containers were musical (well, 3, but one was out of batteries...). the CO used toys that are singing: One singing trout toy (you push a button), and one dog puppet (you squeeze his ear) inside of a big box. It was hillarious and very innovative. We loved it.

my SheepOnTrip and the singing cache: http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/9d0f667d-42a5-4ea8-83b4-d2a14fe65b89.jpg

OK, the thread succesfully was revived... :)

A startrek voyager themed cache here uses a sound module for a stage, hidden in a "communication device" and giving the coordinates by voice for the next stage when finding the right key to press.

10-Second-Sound-Voice-Audio-Recorder-Recording-Module-Chip-Part-for-Holiday-Greeting-Cards-Toy-Voice

That's awesome! Maybe a CO would consider buying a few to have on hand, try to keep the one in the container in working order, and when it fails, replace it with a fresh one. Record your message, then remove (or secure) the "record message" button.

The circuit board, batteries and all, could be coated in Plasti-Dip (the rubber goo used for tool handles). Two weak points are the "Play" switch and the speaker (paper cone, teeny wires). But at that price point, you may just plan to swap it out when necessary, and sometimes it could last a while.

One thing I bought on ebay are "maternity chimes", small chimes in sealed metal spheres. I permanently secured one inside a bamboo hiking stick so it would chime with movement (I make bamboo hiking sticks as a habit hobby :yikes:). They are not especially loud, but these chimes might fit a match tube. No electricity needed.

Edited by kunarion
A startrek voyager themed cache here uses a sound module for a stage, hidden in a "communication device" and giving the coordinates by voice for the next stage when finding the right key to press.

There are recordable motion sensors. Have a few around GZ, and they could announce, "You're getting colder", "You're getting warmer". :laughing:

Or...

Get one of those 'talking picture frames' for about $5 at Radio Shack. It's the same idea, but you get to record the message!

BTW, great idea!

RS also sells mini recordable modules. I actually placed one inside a gutted "Easy Button" from staples. It spoke the coords to the final stage. Cache was of course called "That was easy".

Link to RS Part

(Edit: added link)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

There are recordable motion sensors. Have a few around GZ, and they could announce, "You're getting colder", "You're getting warmer". :laughing:

That would be very cool! Likewise a module that "pinged" faster as you got closer.

I once used a remote doorbell as a two-stage multi-cache where the first stage gave you a small container with the doorbell button (actually, I had a spare in there as well) and you then walked about while pressing the button until you got close enough for the doorbell to chime. Then you had to keep moving toward the sound to find the carefully hidden final. But it was expensive and tough to maintain. I ended up giving the doorbell unit as a door prize at an event, and to my best knowledge, it had never been put back out.

Here are some options regarding inexpensive sound chips that you can buy without buying in bulk: http://www.aliexpres...toys_price.html There are other sites as well, but most that I found had minimum orders of 100 or so.

I think the one I would get is this, at $2.09 with free shipping! It appears from the picture that all solder connections have been stabilized with blobs of silicone, and it seems to have everything you need already attached.

Or you could buy them in a lot of 100 units, and place them in caches as a power trail, If every cache has the exact same sound clip (cough...RickRoll..cough) we'll see how much a number hound will tolerate for 100 smilies.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Or you could buy them in a lot of 100 units, and place them in caches as a power trail, If every cache has the exact same sound clip (cough...RickRoll..cough) we'll see how much a number hound will tolerate for 100 smilies.

Like!

Or maybe just the first line of something like "Camptown Ladies", right up to before the "doo-dah doo-dah".

I have a couple caches out there that have greeting card messages in them. Check out GC4TBKR, GC1WTPW, and the archived GC342YX. That last one was near a haunted cemetery and it played the Graveyard Smash when it opened.

Actually quite easy to do. When you take the card apart it is obvious which two wires need to be wired to a switch. I used a micro switch from Radio Shack. Had to weld a little bracket inside the can to hold the switch. The rest of the parts were JB Welded to the inside of the can. The battery last's a long time, but when it does expire, I just attach two AA batteries instead. They will be 3 V in series and are a lot cheaper than the button battery. Have had a lot of good comments about the instant message!!!

I have a couple caches out there that have greeting card messages in them. Check out GC4TBKR, GC1WTPW, and the archived GC342YX. That last one was near a haunted cemetery and it played the Graveyard Smash when it opened.

Actually quite easy to do. When you take the card apart it is obvious which two wires need to be wired to a switch. I used a micro switch from Radio Shack. Had to weld a little bracket inside the can to hold the switch. The rest of the parts were JB Welded to the inside of the can. The battery last's a long time, but when it does expire, I just attach two AA batteries instead. They will be 3 V in series and are a lot cheaper than the button battery. Have had a lot of good comments about the instant message!!!

Wow, thanks everyone for the great ideas! I will have to study the suggestions, take a trip to Radio Shack, and see which one will work best for me. My cache is a lock n lock container.

Sorry about re-activating an old post. That was my first forum post so not sure how things are supposed to go. And I think I may have added an extra "reply" by accident...