What do you LOVE about Geocaching?

15Tango

I've seen plenty of thread about complaints, gripes, etc. so I thought I'd borrow an idea from the mngca forum, and ask, what do you love about geocaching? Just to get us started--

--I love having the excuse to get out of the house when there's not enough snow to ski, but it's too cold to do anything else.

--I love finding neat parks that I wouldn't have found out about otherwise.

--I love the fact that no matter what type of background or lifestyle you have, whether you are a banker, lawyer, baker, matchstick maker, machine operator, IT professional, soldier, sailor, pilot, Marine, etc. we are all equals when we are stumbling through the brush, cursing sticker bushes, swatting mosquitoes (summer), slipping on ice (winter), trying to keep our GPSr's warm enough to still read the screen while maintaining a satellite lock, while trying to find an ammo can or Rubbermaid container hidden in a hollow log.

Think Globally, Act Locally

Life is good.

MnGCA-Button.gif

I love seeing some special locations that people have thought long and hard about where they would like others to go.

I love the walks - trails through mud, wind, and rain, preferably. icon_wink.gif

I love seeing what others think of my caches - taking on board constructive criticism to hopefully give others a satisfying experience.

I love the community - on the whole, everyone is friendly, and that's really refreshing.

Hell, I love it all!

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

-Family time

-The hunt and the look on the kid's faces when they find the cache.

-finding parks that we didn't know existed, or parts of a park that we didn't know existed

-logging finds on the computer and then reviewing them on a day like today when I'm stuck in the office.

I love bushwhacking through bees' nests to find tupperware....No wait....I love slogging down a muddy trail in the pouring rain to find an ammo can....No wait....I love lurking in city parks looking for coordinates written on playground equipment....No wait....I love hacking through blackberry bushes because I took the wrong trail....No wait.

Hmmmmm. I think I just love the fact that all of this is even possible. We truly live in interesting times.

sparklehorse

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited to fit your TV screen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love those two wonderful words "FOUND IT!"

I let my kids do the hunting. If I spot it first (which isn't often anymore), I wait until they do.

I love spending time with my family outside doing something that doesn't involve pulling weeds.

I love being embarassed that although I've lived in the area for 40 years, there's more interesting, scenic and cool places that I haven't been than have been.

I love meeting cachers on the trail and at the pizza place and swapping stories of adventures and tips on good caches.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I love it because it brings me to places I've never been and never would have known about if it weren't for geocaching.

My one and only cache that I've put out, I think, is an awesome spot. I love it and I cached it because I like to share. I want people to see the beauty that I see. I know a lot of people that have been there never would have known it was there.

More to come in the spring.

I love seeing anyone on the trail and hoping its a fellow cacher.

I love search for a cache entirely too long only to turn around and have it staring you in the face.

I love the force icon_smile.gif

I love leaving things just to leave things

I love finding places, history, ruins, etc. i may never have know about if it wasn't for the cache.

I love the techno side of it...

That should be good for now

I love the whole concept of the challenge of trying to find something that someone felt was interesting enough to hide.

Sure, it's a pain if the coordinates are off but then you get to use your skills and hunt in places you think it may be in.

I live in Indiana and am not a native. I was born and raised in Florida. So since I've lived here and been Geocaching here, I've seen places I would have otherwise never gotten to see. THAT is what makes this sport so much fun.

My other love is golf and while that is a challenge, you have all the fees involved and waiting to play and all the other stuff. There's a lot to not like about golf, but I haven't experienced anything to not love about Geocaching.

I recently relocated and geocaching has been a great way for me to get out to explore the area. I've driven and hiked farther than I would have if I wasn't out caching. I've also gotten a family member and a friend into geocaching, so I'm getting to spend a lot more time with them than usual. So far it's all good.

---------------

Where am I going? I don't quite know.

What does it matter where people go?

Down to the wood where the blue-bells grow-

Anywhere, anywhere. I don't know.

-A.A. Milne

We often view the world in a "human" context; we easily relate to eachother, society and its bountiful creations derived from our intellectual efforts. Not so often do we really "grok" the expanse and diversity of nature, and how delicately it has all been woven together.

We can easily admire the complex design of a modern suspension bridge spanning the width of a major river. It is less common to be awed by a spider's death-defying efforts in weaving a web between the boughs of two widely separated trees.

For me, geocaching gets me deep into a natural environment were humans are but one small part of the majesty of life on Earth. I am constantly amazed by the balance that (hopefully) exisits among the Earth's life forms.

Oh yeah...and geocaching is fun, too!

BP

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

I like that kind of warm feeling you get when you find the cache and feel connected to the person that hid it. You kind of feel they are watching you and smiling.

Whoa, I think that's a little too touchy feely for me! You make it sound as if the cache owner has died and is looking down upon you. icon_eek.gif

I enjoy finding places that others find interesting, but that's as far as it goes.

--CoronaKid

We love geocaching because:

1. We get to see new places that aren't on a lot of maps. A great excuse to go explore new parks.

2. Educational for the younger ones in the group.

3. Exercise for the old people in the group.

4. The adventure and challenge of finding the cache! And competing against my fellow team mates to see who can spot the cache first.

5. AND... cool stuff in the cache icon_biggrin.gif

"Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss