OK, my turn. What is this?

Woodsters Outdoors observed:

-Knife

-Meat Cleaver

-Saw

There is also:

-Poking stick down the middle

SPECULATION:

Some kind of tailor-made pin for some proud butcher (as Woodster said). Perhaps it is some pin that belongs to a butcher's cult or association, long ago.

It also looks like a sailboat, kind of, perhaps the butcher also sails. Maybe the butcher did his thing on a fishing boat? Why the poking stick? Maybe the poking stick part is missing an end, like a Hammer or Sledge, or Pick-Axe...?

Maybe the Butcher's first initial was "A" and butchered on a sailboat, all in one pin symbol.

Butcher's guild?

Maybe just symbolises a proud farmer-type person, who mastered all those different tools.

It also looks like a lean-to tent...and there could also be more initials other than "A" in that bisected triangle.

A secret weapon? Perhaps it has sharp edges so that it can be thrown. icon_confused.gif

Thanks.

Kanto

templelogo.gif

Temple Kung Fu

"If you know about truth, tell me of it. If not, then I will search with you, together, in order to find it."

-Grandmaster Simon

From my limited experience as an archaeologist, it's obvious to me that this is....dum-de-da-dum...a pin of some sort. Perhaps you might get a more educated response if you posted to sci.archaeology or alt.archaeology, or an antiques website.

Without examining it closely its hard to tell, but I'm betting its from the mid 20th century (that sounds so long ago).

The Woodster may not be real far off with his guesses. I see the knife, saw and cleaver and I also see a sword, or dagger pointing downward and a halberd-like figure crossing the whole thing (head to the left). This makes me think it's of some military origin.

Edit: or I also see sharpening steel, instead of the dagger. Maybe it's for a military butcher icon_razz.gif.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Kanto:

There is also:

-Poking stick down the middle...

Silly person - that is a sharpening steel in the middle. It obviously belonged to a butcher or meatcutter. I would guess that it was a logo or badge from a meatcutters' guild (that's "union", for those of you in Rio Linda).

...clear as mud?

I was about to suggest a union pin of some sort. Looking at the link in the post above I would gather that it is one for that union or a similar one.

May be worth looking up that union to see if they could place the year for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

Missed the sharpening steel last night. Thought that was the actual pin part. I think cruzin was close with that picture. As there is an "Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America" union/guild and there symbol was similar to that. They had the 4 same objects. Perhaps this is an older version or newer version than the one in the picture.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

You have three very specific tools on that pin...Things a woodsman or lumberjack might use. The knife is different from those I've seen from the Civil War and WWI for field amputations. Not sure about WWII. The axe looks more like what you would use for meat meat/bone cleaving.

I've sent it out for higher authority to give me a better guess. If I get an answer I'll post it.

The Mason's use a scimitar as their sword logo if I'm not mistaken. The speculation by woodsters Outdoors is pretty good.

Nice find by they way.

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

This is pretty close:

ch0274g.jpg

That's close enough to convince me that they are the same general thing. The only thing missing is the sharpening steel (or is that a steel behind the cleaver?).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

I would guess that it was a logo or badge from a meatcutters' guild (that's "union", for those of you in Rio Linda).

...clear as mud?

Dude, have you lived in the Sacramento area, or are people from Rio Lindas throughout the country the butt of jokes?

"Could be worse...could be raining"

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

quote:
Originally posted by ErSamin:

Dude, have you lived in the Sacramento area, or are people from Rio Lindas throughout the country the butt of jokes?

It's a Rush Limbaugh thing.

I forgot our area is saddled with spawning that.....(you fill in the blank, I dare not)

"Could be worse...could be raining"