Best Cache Ever....??

I travel quite a bit. I thought it would be interesting if folks picked the single BEST cache they've logged in their area. You know --- just in case the rest of us find ourselves in your neck of the woods.

So...., What single cache have you logged thatdo you feel is the BEST CACHE EVER?

Here's mine. If you ever find yourself in north central Indiana I would point you to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=44305

If you read the logs, I think EVERy visitor has used the word "WOW" to decribe the experience. Definitely a "MUST FIND" if you visit the area.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I enjoy most caches, but the one NJ cache that comes to mind when I think of a fun and challenging hunt was Melvin's Multiple Madness. In well over a year, the group I found it with are still the only finders.

Although I've yet to complete it (had to bail out with a half mile to go) the NY/NJ Multi-State, Multi-Cache is a very close 2nd. Who knows, once I've completed it, it may surpass Melvin's on my list.

All I can list are my favorites.

Best view found with a traditional cache: Ring Mountain Mini Tub

Best theme... Lord of the Rings multicaches, where the actual locations make you think of the books in interesting ways... and are filled with wonderful puzzles related to the theme: Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers.

A puzzle cache that has a wonderful surprise ending: Double Agent.

-J

My favorite cache so far has been Buck8Point's multi, Kincade Lake. Buck used a good container filled with good stuff for the final, and the first two legs use a rather original idea to give you the next location.

The best part though, is the use of existing terrain to make the cache a challenge. It's in a neat area, but the geographical features give this one a little boost... how Buck found that place, I'll never know.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Northern-Lights:

I'm also partial to....http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=60109 even though it's one of mine. Sadly, nobody has attempted it yet. I think it might be a bit too hard.....

Too hard? Pah! icon_wink.gif I'll get out there eventually. It's hard for me to get out that way after dark now though.

I don't know if this counts since it isn't available now, but I think the best one around here was Bill & Gary's Excellent Adventure. It was a four-part multi set up by the park. Highlights included (technically spoilers, but it's gone now): serious bushwhacking, a birdhouse hide, a legitimately "buried" cache (tackle box hidden in a hole covered with one of those utility covers, flush with the ground), and a gratis canoe rental to get to the final stage. Each stage also contained a load of historical, topographical, and environmental info as well. Very few were able to complete it in a single day. Despite the rating, individual stages ranged from 2 to 4 in both difficulty and terrain. There was also a drawing for those who completed it, with prizes including 2003 park passes, tshirts, and bike/canoe rentals (I won the latter).

The bad news is, it was only for 2002 and is no longer available. The good news is, B&G2 has been promised and should be available in the next few weeks. SE Michigan cachers are on pins and needles.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

I also have a listing of my favorite cache finds as part of our profile. Props to Markwell for recommending this idea. It's fun to add a cache to the list every month or so.

The ones that are the creme de la creme include Thousand Steps Cache and Casparis, both of which were placed, incidentally, by a hider who had less than 15 finds at the time of the hide.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

Okay, I've only found 14 thus far, but the most exciting find was Templeton's Treasure (I think that's the name) in Ohio. The cache itself is a large rubber rat with a hole in it's belly for the microcache. It was placed under the roots of a fallen tree, and all I saw was a little ear and some hair. I made my friend reach in to what I thought was probably the cache... I did a few little squeamish dances...

UPSCWRU = University of Puget Sound, Case Western University)

I've done a few that are memorable and I haven't been caching long.

THIS one still stands out as my all time favorite! I wish more people would go after it. It really is a hoot to do.

I actually did the Rocky "Gonna Fly Now" dance with my fists in the air when I found it! icon_biggrin.gif

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

I keep a list of some of my all time favorites on my webpage, and sadly most of them are now archived. I should keep a more current personal list, but I would still put The Contact Cache somewhere near the top.

On a different note some of the local Portland favorites are listed here.

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

pdx-button3.jpg

DenaliNW: Thanks for the mention of The Contact Cache. You should go find it again at it's new location icon_wink.gif

As for my favorites, there are currently 2 that stand out more than the others:

The Pipeline* is the most unique hike I've ever done. To anyone that comes to the Portland area, you really need to do this one.

Far to the northwest of The Pipeline*, in the town of Raymond, WA is Slinger91's Half Moon Cache. I would consider this to be the best cache ever. I really wish I could tell you why.. But that's the secret of Half Moon... You just have to see it for yourself icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45* 30.ish

W 122* 58.ish

Update to my April post: Bill & Gary's Excellent Adventure II has been available for a couple of months, and yes, it is better than the first one. Oh, it's gooood.

This one isn't my area, but I did Sand Quarry is SW Pennsylvania a few months ago. That one was incredibly cool (by the same cacher that Lep mentioned above, incidentally).

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

If you're ever in Northeast AL, one of my favorites so far is a multi that will bounce you all around the county, called Here and There in Cherokee. Lots of fun. Felt like I was cheating, because I grew up near there. One part of the cache will send you right past my parents' house.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I know some people don't like multi's or urban caches, but my favorite so far is Red Tag Rook in Huntsville, AL. It's one of those caches that you keep wondering how in the heck anyone could have set it up and the cache at the end was the largest I have found. The most interesting thing about the final spot was that I had driven by several time wondering why no one had placed a cache there -- it was on my list of places to put one myself. All of the steps up the last are urban.

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

Not to blow my own horn, but When the Going Gets Rough is one of mine that has received good reviews from the hardy souls that have dared to try it.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

[This message was edited by Huntnlady on July 30, 2003 at 01:54 PM.]

What is it that makes a cache "the best ever..."?

It would have to be something unique that a person would be unlikely to be able to experience otherwise.

Following this line of logic, my submission to you for the best ever cache (and I really believe this is the one) is VIEW CARRE' by Bamboozle.

I can't tell you much about the cache without ruining the surprise but read the logs and you will be very impressed that "Something special" is going on down in New Orleans...

frog.gif

Our favorite cache by far (out of 313) was this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4188

We had to walk through an "alligator alley", dodge water moccasins, and deal with the most killer mosquitoes and bugs we have ever seen. It was AWESOME!! We found it about a couple of years ago, and no one else has been there since. It is very close to Charleston, SC. Cost us a $60.00 ferry ride to get to the island. It was all worth it. The beach was awesome. We were the first people on that beach in several days. Very secluded and very pristine. We highly recommend it. B & E

Well, my favorite one so far is one my friend, MIT the Nomad, did in a local park... It was cool to see stuff that I hadn't seen before, and, even better, I got discombobulated a few times and ended up taking the hard way... But still, it was fun... and the hardest I've done yet... *plus* I got to do it with my dad, and we don't usually do things together without an ulterior motive on his part..

The best beginner cache I have been to was http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=50618]Cache 22 because it was a straight walk along a paved trail and I guessed the spot the cache was in without following the 22step process that Zoisrus put us through to get to the cache..

Best hiding spot for a cache goes to the one I did today, even though I am mad at Alpha Wolfe... (She stole my cache Idea for a different cache before I had time to make it!) and that one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=78748

And, I can tell you this now, even though I haven't logged the cache, but the cache in question that Alpha 'stole' my idea on will be visited by me tomorrow even if the sky opens up and lightning threatens to strike me dead... lol.... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=80833 is in honor of the Ashtabula train disaster.. (Think Titanic, but a train in a small town)...

icon_rolleyes.gif I'm still a newbie, and at the risk of sounding self-centered, I'm going to steer you to my own first cache (near Indianapolis): Bridge, Anyone?

Read all the logs!

Jolly, I know you visit Naptown regularly...so give this one a try. There are 9 caches very close by, so you could make an afternoon of it!

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

[This message was edited by sept1c_tank on August 01, 2003 at 02:38 AM.]

[This message was edited by sept1c_tank on August 01, 2003 at 02:39 AM.]

I would like to see more responses to this thread. I like reading about the exciting 5 star caches elsewhere in the country.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

These are not in my area so to speak, but I do go to the area at least once or twice a year. My favorites ever:

7 Utes Lodge. In northern Colorado. A hell of a steep bushwack up the side of a mountain to the final stage and a great view with neat things to see on the way!

and Helm's Deep. Also in Colorado. A beautiful drive and hike to a pretty lake and then a really hard find.

Favorite local cache is Tower of the Four Winds in Nebraska which captures the Nebraska prairie very well. or maybe Platte River Run. Again in Nebraska, which has a neat hike over a rails to trails bridge with great views.

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on August 03, 2003 at 06:13 PM.]

[This message was edited by carleenp on August 03, 2003 at 06:28 PM.]

I would have to say that my favourite in terms of location would be Creepy Cache which is not far from Hoover Dam. If you are in the area, or planning to vacation there, you should definitely check it out. Can't say why the location is so cool - you just have to go there and find out for yourself!

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

I'm pretty new to caching, but this subject brings up a feature I wish this site had: Rate this Cache.

After visiting I wish I could log a grade for the cache/hunt, like on a scale of 1-10. I realize this would be very subjective, but it would still be nice. I have already been to a few pointless caches, and been wowed by finding some interesting new areas by me.

Truely great caches that are in good spots/well-maintained would stand out.

quote:
Originally posted by IndyMagicMan:

I'm pretty new to caching, but this subject brings up a feature I wish this site had: Rate this Cache.

After visiting I wish I could log a grade for the cache/hunt, like on a scale of 1-10. I realize this would be very subjective, but it would still be nice. I have already been to a few pointless caches, and been wowed by finding some interesting new areas by me.

Truely great caches that are in good spots/well-maintained would stand out.

I'm starting to like this idea. The right to place pointless caches is one I'm big on, but I like the idea to get a general feel for a cache relative to the teaming masses of them out there.

As for the topic. The best cache is the next cache. No one cache has been so outstanding that it is memorable above the throng. So far.