Wild edible plants while caching?

Bilder

I used to gather wild plants and mushrooms all the time when camping and such, but have not done so for the last 10 years. Thinking of taking a refresher course in wild edible plants and start up on the gathering while cache hunting.

Anyone else do this? There are lots of edible plants out there that are tasty as well as very healthy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

I used to gather wild plants and mushrooms all the time when camping and such, but have not done so for the last 10 years. Thinking of taking a refresher course in wild edible plants and start up on the gathering while cache hunting.

Anyone else do this? There are lots of edible plants out there that are tasty as well as very healthy.

I guess fruit and berries are too easy? Nevertheless, I found some grape vines growing in a forest and some blackberries, too. They grow wild in Texas.

I was told never to even try to eat mushrooms.

I used to pick wild mushrooms all the time. I need a refresher course to remember the edible from the nasty ones. Just take a couple classes to learn to identify and if in doubt, dont eat.

Berries and some plants I remember and pick, but I need to brush up on some of the other kinds out there.

You could find all you need in the woods and never have to buy salad greens again if you knew what to look for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I have always wanted to go after Morels but wanted to be sure I knew what I was doing. My parents set some up in their yard a few years ago that will hopefully begin producing soon (takes a few years). I have used dandelion greens in salads before and will readily chew on wild mint. There is also a plant around here with little flat round things on it that are edible and taste peppery. Sorry, but I have no idea what it is! All I know is that I learned about it in camp as a child and that it adds a good flavor to salads!

pokeanim3.gif

We've got many rabid morel mushroom hunters here in Illinois. My uncle first heard about Geocaching because he had bought a GPS to keep track of all of his secret mushroom patches. He's a little disturbed about the cachers moving in on his territory icon_wink.gif

There was a cache in our area last spring that was archived for a while. I suspect it was to keep the geocachers away from the owner's mushroom patch.

Unforunately I didn't find any this year. Man, they're good!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

There's nothing better than picking wild plants that are edible. They taste so much better than anything you can buy in the store. Last spring I picked 50-75 HUGE morel mushrooms growing right on my fiancee's grandparents land. I was walking around and happened to see a patch of 15 giant white morels... with a little more searching and a couple weeks we had a ton. Man... they are great. Any edible berries are superb too... I don't know too much about it though. I'd say... carry a book with you identifying what you can and cannot eat. You should be able to order one from amazon.com or someplace similar. I'm actually considering doing that too now that you brought up this topic.

-Zach

-Team Zen-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

Clover flowers! The more pink the sweeter/more flavorful. I make the rounds before mowing...

Enjoy,

Randy

Thanks for the tip - I didn't know clover flowers were edible. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zach and Shannon - Team Zen:

There's nothing better than picking wild plants that are edible. ....

Well, they don't tend to survive in the wild, but plenty people plant cherry tomatoes in these parts. I can eat them like grapes!

Himalayan blackberries are regarded as a pest, especially further north and into Oregon. You bet we pick them! Cobbler and pie made from these is just this side of heaven. Wild greens, miner's lettuce, curly dock, pennyroyal, California bay laurel, lots of things.

Mushrooms? I took a weekend class taught by David Aurora once. He lives in Santa Cruz County, CA, and wrote "Mushrooms Demystified," the essential field guide for these parts. We ate lots of mushrooms, then, but I havn't the confidence to do it myself.

One of the finds during the class were candy caps, small woodland mushrooms that smell -- and taste -- like maple syrup. I've heard of people putting them in cookies and ice cream. Curious thing about them is their odor is carried through -- unchanged -- in one's urine, so it smells like you're boiling sap in the bathroom for a day or two after a meal.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone really isn't out to get you.

Yes, in the spring I dig the bulbs of Ithuriel's Spear, Wild Hyacinth, Mariposa Lilly, and Golden Globelily.

When I can find them, there are morels, inky caps, and puffballs, (mushrooms.)

The roasted nut of the California Bay Laurel in fall or winter, tea made from the bark of Chaparral Coffee Berry Bush, or tea from Yarrow, and of corse, the wild blackberries, raspberries, and currants.

Late this spring the berries of squaw bush were plentiful, tasty and tart. They are a close relative of poison oak, without the rash, though many people mistake them for poison oak.

A couple of times a year I will don my survival pack and spend a few days living off the woods. I also do quite a bit of hunting for wild game. What's fun now is going for geocaches in areas where I can forage, but mostly these have been the ones that I myself have planted. After hunting season this fall I will be investigating more wilderness geocaches in order to find new areas to hunt and forage. I have a small Survival Web Site.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

While at a historic cache site I picked up some literature called "The Role of Trees and Shrubs in Colonial Life" I thought I would share with you here. Verbatum.

When early Colonial Americans arrived in this country, the forest abounded with game animals fish, fruits and vegetables.

Mainly city-bred and unused to country life, many of the Colonists lacked the necessary tools, equipment and knowledge to deal with the wilderness existence.

Through the guidance of Native Americans, the Colonists learned how to hunt, prepare and preserve the native food sources. As a result, the colonists came to rely heavily on the forests as a source of raw materials to provide food, medicine, shelter and tools.

On this trail you will see some of the tress and shrubs that were important in the lives of the Colonists. Below you will find a list of trees and shrubs and their uses in Colonial life.

TREES

American Chestnut

Nuts: Important food source both raw and raosted.

Wood: Important source of lumber, tannin for leather curing, fencing, split rail fencing, shingles, barrels,a nd charcoal. (The wood was not used for firewood as it had a tendency to pop and crackle when burned and sparks could propel out onto the floor and start a fire)

Black Birch

Sap: to make beverages, syrup and vinegaar

Wood: Lumber for tables, chairs, bedsteads, and fuel

White Oak

Acorns: Food, ground into meal, Also as livestock feed

Wood: Ship building, tools, wine barrels, baskets, splitting malls, wagons, plows, fences, whip handles, pail handles, and fuel

Red Oak

Aconrs: food ground into meal. Livestock feed

Bark: source of dye

Wood: Lumber, barrel making and fuel

Branch wood: source of charcoal that was used in the making of gunpowder

Hickory

Nuts: food, ground into flour, pastes, oil and nut butter, used for dye

Bark: of young trees used as strapping in barrel making

Wood: for wagon axles, ex handles, ox yokes, gun stocks, whip handles, large screws (used in grist and cider mills, mill-wheel teeth), sled runners, bows, hand spikes, barrel hoops, fuel and food preserving (smoking)

Crabapple

Fruit; food, cider, vinegar, preserves.

Wood: food preserving (smoking)

Sugar Maple

Sap: making syrup and sugar and as a flavoring

Bark: source of dye (dark blue0

Wood: Spinning wheels, saddle trees, shovels, bowls, bureaus, tables, fuel, potash for glass making and charcoal for blacksmithing

Tulip Poplar

Wood: shingles, carriage panels, chairs, bedsteads, trunks, and charcaol

Dry heartwood; house timbers, rafters, and roofs due to its resistance to worms - the wood is light wieight with a straight grain

Hemlock

Needles: tea

Bark: source of tannin for leather curing

wood: source of lumber, flooring (wood is inferior)

Locust

Wood: rot resisitant, used for fencing, ship framing timbers, pins for attaching ship planking, axes and wooden cutlery

Black Cherry

Fruits: food and making liquors and wines

Wood: furniture, fuel and food preserving 9smoking)

Dogwood

Wood: hammer handles, chisels, mallets, mill wheel teeth, harrow teeth and horse collar parts

Sassafras

Flowers: tea

Bark: oil

Leaes: thickening agent in cooking

Wood: fence posts, fence rails, ship building and beverages

Cedar

Wood: fencing, cabin poles

White Pine

Branches: Christmas greenery

Resin: making pine tar and turpentine

Wood: Ship masts, shingles, boards, planks joists, beams, bridges, and doors. Popular due to light weight and smooth grain

SHRUBS

Barberry/Bayberry

Fruits: beverages, preserves, jellies and pies

Berries: candle wax

Blueberry

Fruits: food, preserves, jellies, pies

Hazelnut

Nuts: food

Spicebush

Berries: seasoning in place of black pepper

Bark: tea

Juniper

Berries: seasoning

Documentation: Division of Forestry, DEP, Trees "Uncle Phillip's Conversation With Children About Trees of America" (The American Forest) Pub Harper & Brothers, Franklin Square NY 1834. shrubs "Native Harvests", Barrie Kavasch, Random House Pub. 1977

Planet

Not sure if anyone knows this but collection of plants or anything else on Forrest Preserve lands is generally ILLEGAL. Doing this not only takes away from the preserve but also gives geocachers a black eye. Information like this out in the general public only makes geocaching in approved areas harder.

Please don't collect anything from preserves/parks unless you have received permission to do so.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

The one berry I see people picking here while caching is blueberries. We have tons of them on a bunch of different cache sites. I'd never pick a shroom cause I have no idea what is good and bad and don't want to take the chance to get a bad one. As for picking berries and shrooms on forest Preserve lands it may be Illegal in law, but if someone picks a few it will not impact the eco in such a way as to cause harm. I also know about the agrument that if 1 million people pick a few then it a few million. I don't buy that as must of us don't know enough to pick out whats good and whats bad. So imho if you pick a few berries or shrooms to add to your dinner or desert whats the harm. If you go out and harvest an area to make money you should be jailed. Hope thats clear as mud to ya.

Living in the tropics, most edibles are much different than in other areas. I eat everything that I know is edible. I love mushrooms, but from a survival point of view, they have no food value. The ones that turn purple when brused do have a value to the party people.

I don't know which is worse, the ants I'm standing in, or the sand spurs I walked through to get here...

I knew a woman who grew several types of weeds in her garden, on purpose. When cooked, most of these tasted like spinach. The difference being that they acted like a laxitive. As a kid in Chicago, I remember the mulberry trees. These were great for climbing and eating the berries. icon_razz.gif

There is a small plant called that has little berries on it. We call them Teaberries, and they are delicious - but they only have one per plant (or so), so you have to savor each one.

Clark's makes a Teaberry chewing gum, and it is pretty good, if you can find it.

You'll have to do a google search or something to identify the plant. It has bneen a long time since I have seen one, and I have forgotten the proper identification...

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

Mrs. Supertaster always looks for mushrooms when on cache hunt. It can be slow going at times as she keeps running off to look for them. She and her mother are members of the Boston Mycological Club.http://www.bostonmycologicalclub.org They offer identifcation classes at Harvard and mushroom walks around New England. One of our best finds was not at a cache site but we found on our way to the Paint bed red cache.http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=368ab32b-1e8a-460c-8448-922c71d8fb75

We Might Be Giants

quote:
Originally posted by New England n00b:

There is a small plant called that has little berries on it. We call them Teaberries, and they are delicious - but they only have one per plant (or so), so you have to savor each one.

QUOTE]

These Teaberry plants are ALL over the caches along the Appalachian Trail Caches here in PA like this one Hochste GebirgscRegion Der Berks Grafschaft Cache

Peace!

iBrew

beerchug.gif

Click here to see my Completely Useless Webpage

Oh, Great Spirit, let us greet the dawn of a new day when all men live as brothers and peace reigns everywhere! "Indian Prayer"