Do you use channel 2?

I voted sometimes, because I have FRS radios, but don't always bring them. It all depends on if we are bringing a couple of cars together, or plan on splitting up on the trail, stronger hikers go ahead and those of us less likely to run ahead keep a radio behind, and we keep in touch. I leave it turned on and listen for other cachers, and get other calls coming through sometimes. I haven't yet heard other cachers on it. So, sometimes is my vote.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I sometimes drag the FRS along, but hardly ever turn it on. I prefer my ham radio for chatting with friends. Far better coverage than FRS. So I didn't vote at all.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Use 'em all the time in other venues, never caching. Keep one in every car, use skiing, LARPing (staff), driving, at fairs w/large group that'll split up, during home repairs requiring coordination beyond shouting...

(Although, my brother drowned it out w/the stereo while driving one time, and missed my "radar ahead" warning--blew past and got ticketed...Doh!)

Randy

When caching with the family, we use the FRS Radios occassionally, the kids often times will want to go off in another direction, with the radios, my wife and I can stay in touch when one stays with part of the crew and the other searches for the cache. We have found them a nice addition to our geocaching arsenal

I use them at work occasionally...I was thinking about buying a set but I'm not sold on their reliability or power. Any suggestions on a decent pair? The one we use at work are very professional and cost mega bucks! I was thinking along the lines of those cheapo $100. bucks sets?? Are they worth it? Maybe it will help "moosette" with the concept of "discrete"! She sounds like a horny wilder beast stomping around the plains!!

lol he means while geocaching... I think. I never think to bring mine. Its just one more thing to lug around and keep up with and I try to travel as light as possible

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

The Department of Redundancy Department

A geocache a day keeps the debtors away (cause your never home to take the call...)

Other than geocaching events, the only time I bring them is if I cache in a park with playground equipment and the family comes along. The kids invariably want to play on the swings and my wife usually stays behind with them and uses the radio to keep in touch with me while I go hunt alone.

I've never heard another Geocacher while I've been hunting, although I can count the times I've met someone else on the trail on one hand.

- - - - -

I wish I could hear the soundtrack to my life. That way I'd know when to duck.

I always have a FRS radio with me while caching. It's clipped onto the shoulder strap of my Ultimate GPS Case(shoulder strap is optional, not included when you buy it, but I like it much better then the standard belt loop).

If I'm caching with someone else who has a FRS (or a Garmin Rino), or I'm caching a geo-event, then it's on. If I'm solo and I don't expect any other geocachers to be around, I leave it off.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

[/list

I have a Rino120 so my radio is on all the time I'm caching -- mostly because I forget to shut it off to save the batteries. I generally do leave it on channel 2 but I have yet to hear any other cachers. I'm also waiting for that magic moment when I see another cacher on my screen (using the peer-to-peer positioning).

We usually have a pair of Motorola T6220's with us whenever doing anything 'outdoorsy' (they can also monitor the VHF weather band, which is handy in itself). For us, as I expect is the case for most folks, it's a tool to keep in contact with members of our own party more than anything else. If we happen to be cache hunting, we'll use one of the designated GeoCaching channels.

(Recently discovered cool use for FRS: Cart-to-Cart driver chat while zipping around the local Go-Cart track [use a handsfree headset] icon_cool.gif )

I just bought a pair of FRS radios at Wal-Mart for $15. However, my main intention for buying them was not geocaching.

While with the family, we have found it useful to have these radios when we split up at an amusement park or on a hike. Another great use we found is when my wife has to dash into the store to buy something quick. I just park in the parking lot and wait for her incoming call on the radio to let me know she's in front of the store. It sure beats trying to find a spot where I can see her come out of the store or driving by the front every ten minutes.

I'll only take them geocaching if I'm with the whole family. In such cases, I always use channel 2. icon_biggrin.gif

--CoronaKid

I got a pair of Cobra FRS radios a couple years ago.

I use them all the time in the car and around the house. Also come in handy while camping. Give one to the kids and you can keep tabs on them pretty easy. With as cheap as they are these days it is no worry if the kids break one.

I been packing one with me geocaching, but have yet to hear anyone else on the channel. I will keep taking it out with me. One of these days I will hear someone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

Mine tend to get used quite a bit at events, but I usually don't even turn mine on when I'm just out hunting. Even with a pretty good population of cachers in this area, we tend to not run into each other on the trail.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

quote:
Originally posted by OuttaHand:

I have a Rino120 so my radio is on all the time I'm caching -- mostly because I forget to shut it off to save the batteries. I generally do leave it on channel 2 but I have yet to hear any other cachers. I'm also waiting for that magic moment when I see another cacher on my screen (using the peer-to-peer positioning).

Me to.

icon911.gif

beerchug.gif